g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb-11-2005, 4:59 AM

USA

Thumbs up New JLT Album sounds great

Just heard some sound clips of JLT's new album "Usual Suspects" and I was quite impressed...great production and good songwriting...seems much stronger than his most recent solo albums....I also read the review at Melodicrock and the clips seem to back up what Andrew says about it.

John

clips here:

http://www.melodicrock.com/showcase/...lsuspects.html

Joe Lynn Turner The Usual SuspectsFrontiers Records
FRCD230

Produced By: Bob Held & Joe Lynn Turner

Running Time: 48.40

Release Date: February 21

Released: EU

Musical Style: Melodic Hard Rock

Links: Joe Lynn Turner Frontiers
92%
Songs: 90%
Sound: 94%
Joe Lynn Turner has had a long and distinguished career one which continues to roll on unabated. How can an artist, who has been in the business some 30 years manage to record and release what could arguably on of his best albums to date?
Well, simply from recognizing what his strength's are, writing great songs around that premise and having people around him that drive him to outstanding performances.
That's exactly what has happened, as out of all Joe's solo records, I will now go for this one first above any other as I think it is simply the best collection of songs he has recorded.
Joe has had a varied career which has always had that blues rock stamp on it, but has also seen him diversify into soul, straight ahead rock, hard rock and classic rock covers.
The Usual Suspects covers all areas (no covers though) but remains a very focused and cohesive record.
It's funny I should make the same comment here about Joe as I did Glenn Hughes and his current album, especially when the pair are inextricably bound in their careers.
But both singers have really looked back over their careers and delivered records that pay tribute to all aspects of their histories, while moving forward in the direction that best suits them.
In Joe's case, it's straight ahead melodic hard rock, with a bluesy rock edge.
The single best quality of this album is the strength of choruses. That's maybe one area that needed some attention and this album delivers each and every track.
Track By Track:
Power Of Love is the best example. This is a soaring rock anthem with a huge hook and is classic JLT as he should always be.
Devil's Door is a tougher, darker, 70's style hard rocker, with some inspired bluesy guitar parts over a powerful lead vocal.
Jack Knife is a double-time rocker that is a clear reminder of Deep Purple and Rainbow and will be another fan favourite.
After three fist pumping rockers, it's time to mellow out. And again, Joe does it in style, with two contrasting ballads. Really Loved is a very smooth blues ballad, with some atmospheric keyboard and harmony vocal parts. Joe sings with as much emotion and feeling as he ever has.
The second ballad Rest Of My Life follows in a more traditional rock ballad vein with a tougher approach, some guitar impact and a big chorus.
Into The Fire is a different beast again. It's a rocker, but maintains a restrained vibe, never breaking out of its reins, while offering something a little different for long time fans.
Blood Money is a pretty much straight ahead blues based mid-tempo rock track. At this point I'm thinking a tempo lift would be very handy indeed, but rather another mid-tempo ballad is offered. Thankfully All Alone is a great track with an emotional vocal and a solid chorus.
But, a tempo lift is definitely needed now and Ball And Chain does just that. Joe delivers a cool raspy vocal, but I would have liked the tempo to have been upped a little further still.
Live And Love Again is another ballad and although there are already a few on the album, this is another great one with a big, powerful vocal and some great melodies.
Unfinished Bizness is a European bonus track, but I'm thankful it's here, as it closes out the album in the best possible way. It's a big fat rocker, with a Deep Purple vibe and another great vocal that defines what Joe Lynn Turner is all about.
The Bottom Line
For those that have been looking for Joe to deliver something a little different I think this will fit the bill. The album could have used an extra uptempo track two thirds the way through, and does feature a stronger first half, but finishes strongly and is easily his most likable record since Hurry Up And Wait. A close to perfect production only helps highlight the great performance and the strength of the songs.
Discography / Previously Reviewed
Rescue You
Nothing's Changed
Under Cover
Hurry Up And Wait
Undercover 2
Holy Man
JLT
The Usual Suspects

Line Up
Joe Lynn Turner: Vocals
Karl Cochran, Al Pitrelli: Guitars
John O'Reilly: Drums
David Z: Bass
Paul Morris, Andy Burton: Keyboards
Nancy Bender: Choirs

Essential for fans of:
Joe Lynn Turner - Hurry Up And Wait
Rainbow
Hughes Turner Project
Track Listing
Power Of Love*
Devil's Door*
Jacknife*
Really Loved
Rest Of My Life*
Into The Fire
Blood Money
All Alone
Ball And Chain
Live And Love Again
Unfinished Bizness*
--*Best Tracks
Old Feb-11-2005, 5:39 AM

Spain

Icon24 is great

hello, i'm nando, this is my first message in this forum. well, is true, my frind, i got the new joe's album and i tell the truth, this album is really great. but my favorite is holy man or slam, but this "Usual Suspects" is a great album, with some greatest songs that joe sing in very years. I recomended the cd to everyone!!!
Old Feb-11-2005, 9:15 AM

USA

Welcome to the GH board, nando.

We "regulars" always enjoy a new point of view,
whether you agree or dis-agree with us.
So read what others have written......
...............and add what you want to say.

And always enjoy the music.

Grace
Old Feb-12-2005, 3:39 AM

USA

Looking forward to the JLT album. Joe's last release was fabulous as was HTP 2, so we are going for the "hat trick" here. Gotta always keep up with JLT, after all he is a good ol' Joisey boy like quite a few here
Old Feb-15-2005, 12:49 AM

UK

Hey everybody!

I have returned from a long sabbatical to rejoin to ghpg family! I've missed not being on this board!

It's true, JLT's new album is superb. I was lucky enough to get a promo copy to review it for Fireworks and on the first listen it blew away "JLT" and "Slam". It keeps the hard rocking riffs but has some superb hook laden choruses. I was lucky enough to interview Joe and he said he had aimed to have a Rainbow and Journey feel to his new album and so far he was getting great reviews right across the board. I heartily recommend it to anybody who likes Joe's previous work!

JG

James Gaden's Sig:"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

www.solitaryvision.co.uk www.jamesgaden.co.uk www.myspace.com/jamesgaden
Old Feb-19-2005, 1:44 PM
REAL JOHN MCCOY

OMG! Just finished listening to Usual Suspects. I've got russian semi-legal CD so far so I guees I'm yet to experience the true sound of this CD. I guess the long review is coming in a few days but quickly: this is the best Turner solo CD ever! His first one not to feature a single filler song. Huge melodies, the ones people just don't write anymore (or so I thought). There is vintage 80's metal, classic Rainbow -style hard rock (Jacknife reminds both of Kill the king and Spotlight Kid), soulful ballads (with some clear Hughes influence) and even a gorgeous anthemic epic piano ballad Live and Love again sung in a deep voice you'll never heard from Joe (the same kind of surprise No more cane on the brazos was from Gillan). Now the real shock is Joe' singing. I guess he was busy visiting a vocal coach or something previous year as THIS IS HIS BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE EVER! Well, maybe Bent out of Shape comes close but at that point JLT was not able of expressing such a wide range of emotions of vocal nuances. I honestly never heard him sing that powerful and mighty. Mosty his manner here is "back to the clean operatic" voice of the 80's only much more sophisticated with some Dio-esque mannerisms. There are also a small bit of raw, raspy bluesy singing of recent years, but it to got much better as well. AND NOW THE SURPRISE: for the first time in his career Joe, who was never a screamer started doing that good old Ian Gillan/Eric Adams type of screams, you know the ones Gillan is not able to do anymore. The quality of those blew my socks off! And of course his performance on Live and Love again is a pure masterpiece, maybe THE performance of his career. In the past Joe was sometimes guilty of Glenn Hughes syndrome, you know vocal show off without any need (no offence our fellow Glenn fans but you all know what I'm talking about!). Not this time. Feels like there was certain Man in Black standing behind his shoulder! Everything ultra tight here. Funny that when all our favourite vocalists (Hughes is sure another exception) are mostly shadows of themselves JLT, like old wine gets better and better.

Now you know when I heard small soundbytes I thought this album's gonna be too poppy, too melodic. Now this is sure Joe's most melodic effort ever, but no way it's sugary or poppy. Pure power and passion all the way thru. When if rocks it rocks (the first 3 tracks are pure headbangers heaven), when it groovers it grooves. Overall, maybe I'm too ecstatic now but so far it seems like this IS the definite solo album, the best he ever done.
Old Feb-19-2005, 6:12 PM

Japan

Icon43

I have not listened to the CD yet but I am amazed by how JLT expanded his vocal ranges lately especially after he started to work with GH.

At the time of JLT solo tour, GH's performance was further better and brilliant but in 2004, his singing was very powerful with wider ranges. JLT was really competing with GH.

Therefore, I have no surprise if everybody feels the same on his latest album. If HTP 3 will be released, it will be more exciting. Before that, I have to buy this latest JLT solo CD first.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
2004, album, albums, classic rock, cover, David, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, HTP, journey, solo, solo album, tour, wine