g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug-31-2006, 5:20 AM

UK

Icon31 Rainbow Live DVD review

havent got it yet myself but there is a review of the new official Rainbow live dvd featuring the Blackmore/Dio/Powell axis over at www.deep-purple.net this is a must have for any self respecting rock fan. I got the cd a while back and that was great, but now add the actual sight of Dio and Blackmore at their peak and it should be amazing.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Aug-31-2006, 5:36 AM
schreinermusic

Hi Paul,

well, I didn´t see the new DVD yet either but I have this concert on VHS since it has been broadcasted on german TV for a couple of times. The concert was originally part of ROCKPALAST (Rock Palace) which was a german TV series which broadcasted very good live shows of top acts in the 80´s. The concert itself is very good, to see Cozy, Ronnie and Ritchie is a blessing. The keyboarder at that time was quite new, a guy from Canada called David Stone, who once played in a band called "Symphonic Slam" who put out only 1 record but this was a highly interesting release full of progressive, partly Colosseum II type of music, in 1976.
I can highly recommend this concert to everyone, since the sound should be even better than on my VHS, which I made with my own recorder.
Later on, Rockpalast also broadcasted a show of Rainbow of October 1995, I think it was the Düsseldorf, Germany show.

cheers, Achim
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 David Stone SoloRainbow77.mp3 (5.47 MB, 11 views)
Old Aug-31-2006, 6:57 AM

Netherlands

Hi Achim,

Thanks for the David Stone info. I have several VHS copies as well. I remember the late nineties, when channel WDR would have a Rainbow night, showing the 1977 and the 1995 Rainbow concerts back to back...

Good to see it's on DVD now. It's about time.

- Fedor
Old Aug-31-2006, 5:28 PM

USA

thanks guys for the info i really want this one
Old Aug-31-2006, 8:10 PM

USA

Icon33

Don't forget Bob Daisley - he's the man!

Todd
Old Aug-31-2006, 10:39 PM

Australia

Rainbow 77

I have had this dvd now for a couple of weeks and it hasnt left the player. A must have for any self respecting Rainbow /Purple fan. Blackmore in blistering form........might have something to do with the fact he had just been released from jail that night and driven directly to the gig. Dio apologetic due to the late start,1130pm. Blackmore in the same clothes for three days, which might explain no-one going near him all night.

Bob Daisley and Colin Hart interviews fabulous additions to the package. Lots of rock history here. HRP.
Old Sep-01-2006, 6:23 AM

UK

Icon34

Sounds like a must purchase, I loved Rainbow when Dio was with them also I have to say I prefer Jimmy Bain to Bob Daisley, sorry!!!
Old Sep-01-2006, 7:04 AM

UK

I will have to buy this too - never got to see Rainbow live. I love Dio too!!!

alibongo's Sig:
Old Sep-01-2006, 2:50 PM

UK

Icon49

Originally Posted by Mark3 View Post
Sounds like a must purchase, I loved Rainbow when Dio was with them also I have to say I prefer Jimmy Bain to Bob Daisley, sorry!!!

Rainbow with Dio - treasured times, Mark

Jimmy Bain - - Bob Daisley - no. Stories from the days of Widowmaker ... ... sorry Todd

Check out Todd's super-duper technique yet again http://www.bobdaisley.com/bio.htm

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Sep-07-2006, 1:31 PM

Australia

Icon28 rainbow live

As i believe the video was heavily bootlegged over the years but finally an expected release originally in August, but a slight delay
due to whatever problems they had. As the day got closer the anticipation was growing not to mention the excitement of your own copy. As i can vaguely remember them in Australia in '77, this
dvd reminded me how powerful an act they were. The amazing vocals of Dio at his absolute peek, Cozy ripping up a storm, and
Ritchie,"guitar on fire". If there is a minor problem the concert is a
little dark, but it's a killer. I understand Ritchie was in jail for 2 or 3 days too, for kicking someone's head in, you will crack up laughing when you hear the interview from Bob Daisley. My other minor squibble there is no "Stargazer". The tracks are very long too: Kill The King 4:42, Mistreated 11:49, 16th Century
Greensleeves 8:32, Catch The Rainbow 18:14 Long Live rock and roll 8:14 Man On A Silver Mountain 16:25, a whopping Still I"m Sad 27:33 and Do You Close Your Eyes 15:40, and 3 promotional
videos all in all stunning!!!!!

bigwolff's Sig:that would be great
Old Sep-08-2006, 8:02 AM

Sweden

There's supposedly a 2 DVD set of Live Between The Eyes (San Antonio 82) and the 84 Budokan show (1 DVD) coming out soon. Does anyone have any details on these releases? Why SA 82 is a 2 DVD set for example?

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1976, 1977, 1995, David, guitar, history, Video