g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul-29-2003, 4:59 PM

USA

Whitesnake in LA Sunday 27 July

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Forum] [Help] [Search] [Options] [Logout]
Post changed

Topic Whitesnake in LA Sunday 27 July

By johnh On 29.07.03 18:40 Score 1 [Edit] [Reply]

Decided at the last minute to go to Whitesnake Sunday at the Universal Amphitheatre in LA, who were appearing with Warrant, Slaughter and Winger. I was interested in seeing Winger as well but missed them and almost all the other bands sets, save for the last two songs(Uncle Tom's Cabin and Cherry Pie) of Warrant, who sounded good with three original members, the guitarist, bassist and singer Janie Lane. First, I was utterly astonished to be handed a free ticket by the lady at the counter when I got to the box office, utterly amazing!!!!!! The current lineup of Whitesnake have now evolved into a tight polished unit, which they already were in February the last time I saw them. With guitarists Reb Beach and Doug Aldrich on board, Coverdale has some great axeman, and I hope to hear a new album from this lineup soon. Bassist Marco Mendoza brings a lot of stage presence and excellent backup vocals, he can easily be a sort of Glenn Hughes of this lineup, nice bluesy voice with a good range. Coverdale's voice was poorer on this outing, but with summer weather and the crappy smog that is understandable. What amazes is that even though his upper range is very gravelly, he still hits alot of the notes, just more raspy than before. He was more impressive in Feb, but I'll take a less than stellar Coverdale anyday. Another disappointment was that this was a headlining show but only one song was added from the previous US jaunt with the Scorpions and Dokken, that being Slip of the Tongue hit Deeper the Love.And no requests or singalongs here in the US, I guess that's just a Euro UK tradition. And of course, again no post 1990 songs from Into the Light, Cov/Page or Restless. I eagerly await a new album from this lineup sometime in the future, because at the moment they are simply a greatest hits cash machine, like DP. A fun night out, but now the band needs to move forward.

JH

SET LIST

1. BAD BOYS

2. SLIDE IT IN

3. SLOW AND EASY

4. LOVE AINT NO STRANGER

5. DEEPER THE LOVE

6. JUDGEMENT DAY

DOUG ALDRICH GUITAR SOLO/FULL BAND BLUES JAM

7. CRYIN IN THE RAIN

TOMMY ALDRIDGE DRUM SOLO

8. IS THIS LOVE

9. GIVE ME ALL YOUR LOVE

MARCO MENDOZA BASS SOLO WITH FULL BAND
INCLUDED SNIPPET OF ZEP'S HOW MANY MORE TIMES WITH COVERDALE SINGING

10. HERE I GO AGAIN

11. IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT
Old Aug-05-2003, 1:16 PM

USA

Hey John!
It was my understanding that Doug Aldridge was only a gun for hire, and will be returning to Dio's line up. That was last I heard- but that may not be the case, I'll be seeing DIO with Iron Maiden on the 16th. Is the Whitesnake tour still going? I got copies of 4 of the Febuary shows, and I have to admit, I was a bit dissapointed. But NOT in the guitar players at all. They both rule- Do you have Dougs solo album?

Mark
Old Aug-06-2003, 1:23 AM

USA

Hi Mark,

No actually Craig Goldie is back in Dio, Doug is now permanently in Whitesnake. I haven't got Doug's solo album. On another subject, just went to see Boston and was very very impressed vocals wise...Having Fran Cosmo and Brad Delp together is like having Steve Augeri and Steve Perry together in Journey, except Brad's voice is actually in very good shape after all. Will post on it shortly here.

John

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1990, album, bands, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, journey, search, solo, solo album, tour