g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep-13-2010, 10:42 AM

UK

Arrow Whitesnake. Band or David Coverdale and others!

Well today's news is that Keyboard player [and vocalist] Timothy Drury has left the Snakes. The rhythm section has only just changed also. I get the impression not a happy camp and can you really call it a band, with or without the Whitesnake name, anymore?

Paul
Old Sep-13-2010, 3:50 PM

Germany

Thanked 1,384 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
Well today's news is that Keyboard player [and vocalist] Timothy Drury has left the Snakes. The rhythm section has only just changed also. I get the impression not a happy camp and can you really call it a band, with or without the Whitesnake name, anymore?
Paul

Nope, Paul, you're quite right, you can't call WS a band anymore. It should be called "Coverdale & Aldrich with guests" And I wonder when Doug is going to leave (to "throw the towel" as we say here). After all, he IS a good axeman and I believe there are several bands, who would feel lucky to have him on board. So if a new keyboarder joins, that would mean WS Mk 17

Neil Murray once said in an interview that in the "good old days" of WS, each musician was an equal band member. Well, those days are long over...

DC already made one farewell tour back in 1997, more to personal reasons however. I think he should really call it a day now, before he becomes a laughing stock in the music industry DC has been telling his fans that he is working on a new album since the beginning of this year. How many WEEKS did Glenn need to record the new album with BCC... ?

Shame, Whitesnake used to be a great band. I have good memories of many many terrific concerts sniff !
Old Sep-13-2010, 4:01 PM

Germany

Here is the interview with Neil Murray

http://www.rockpages.gr/detailspage.aspx?id=2828&type=1&lang=EN
Old Sep-13-2010, 4:44 PM

Netherlands

Whitesnake NOW is David Coverdale and Doug Aldrich with other musicians. They write and compose the songs together and they are a very good team. Good to be bad was suberb and I believe the new album will be even better.
The new album: in fact the're much quicker than the DP lads (come on, wake up!).
As long as David and Doug are in the band (with other good musicians) Whitesnake will Rock On!
Old Sep-13-2010, 5:50 PM

USA

The band is just David and whatever guitar player he is writing with (and I'm a huge fan of Doug and Good to Be Bad- so I'm glad he's got Doug!) . Sure, it was more of a band in it's first incarnation, but David still owned it and was calling the shots at all times. Has it ever really been a real band?
Old Sep-14-2010, 1:42 AM

UK

It has been Coverdale's band since day one.

Ultimately he's the boss and does the hiring and firing. Its a well known "brand" that has been around for years and therefore guaranteed publicity and promotion no matter how good or bad the music is or who else is in the band with him.

Personally i couldn't care less who's in it as its his voice i want to hear singing decent songs

Currently listening to the album Coming Up by Suede

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Sep-14-2010, 5:37 AM

USA

Have to agree with you Wolfy. Whitesnake IS David Coverdale and there is no way around that. Always remember Conan O'Brien talking about the Guns and Roses reunion years back and saying the band is actually "Chubby Magoo (Axl Rose) and five guys NOT named Slash". These are the things that come to mind when you see so many changes in personel with so many bands. Blue Oyster Cult is Buck and Eric and a conglomeration of artists over the years, and Uriah Heep, though the current incarnation has been around for about 18 years still only has Mick Box from the original Heep. Is Ten Years After legit without Alvin Lee ? There are so many bands that have gone through so much in the way of changes in personel it is getting like professional athletics: brand name survives with different personel all the time.
Old Sep-14-2010, 6:15 AM

France

Originally Posted by lioness View Post
Here is the interview with Neil Murray

http://www.rockpages.gr/detailspage.aspx?id=2828&type=1&lang=EN

muchas gracias !
Old Sep-14-2010, 8:45 AM

UK

It's Coverdale's band. It's kind of sad sometimes the way people associate the singer with being the voice of the band or the embodiment of 'the band'. Take 1987 that album wouldn't have amounted to much without john sykes, then blammo he gets dumped.
Old Sep-14-2010, 3:04 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by Dead_presidents_belfast View Post
Take 1987 that album wouldn't have amounted to much without john sykes, then blammo he gets dumped.

Exactly!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1987, 1997, album, bands, glenn, guitar, tour, uriah heep