g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov-07-2005, 3:46 AM

USA

Icon33 Joe Lynn Turner Concert Sun 6 November

Wow!!!! What a fantastic party , hanging out with Todd at the JLT show at the Coach House Sunday night was! Great music, fun and JLT was in perfect vocal form. His backup band, The California Rockers/Wishbox was the same band from the Glenn Hughes and Alex Ligertwood shows awhile back. These guys were incredible, nailing all the song tempos perfectly, the guitar players played the solos with the right feeling and tone, the rythym section was in the pocket and hooked up and the keyboard player had great sounds and chops. The show mostly featured songs from Rainbow and Deep Purple with a three songs off the excellent new Usual Suspects solo album plus Smoke and Highway Star. Which as much as I didn't want to hear those they were great too. JLT's in between song segments were funny as all hell....at one point JLT started sounding like a gospel preacher and I shouted at "That's right Rev Joe!" and he went with that for awhile. The highlight for me was having him hand me the microphone and I got to scream my way through a chorus of Smoke on the Water like I was Rob Halford. Although later on I regretted screaming and I should have just sung. Still his reaction was priceless. It's really sad to note though, there were less than 400 people there (or maybe even less than that). The meet and greet afterwards and hearing JLT tell some more stories was also totally cool and also I razzed him about kicking down the Hilton door in Bradford. Just a fantastic night and the most fun I've had at a show in awhile. There's word of more shows in Vegas and Phoenix early in 2006. Come on Glenn, why don't you guys do a package tour...HTP is dead but why not co headline?

Pics later

John

Setlist:

Death Alley Driver
Can't Happen Here
I Surrender
Street of Dreams
King of Dreams
Power of Love
Devil's Door
Jackknife
Stone Cold
Jealous Lover
Spotlight Kid
Highway Star
Smoke on the Water
Unfinished Bizness
Old Nov-07-2005, 11:35 AM

USA

Icon33

Dammit, John, you beat me to it!

Well, I just walked in the door after a refreshing drive back from L.A. It was a late night and an early morning, but now I'm home and free to lounge around doing nothing. Perhaps I'll give JLT's "Usual Suspects" CD a few spins, since I only picked up the album last night. (I know, shame on me...) I do know that it's a scorcher of an album, and I know this because I really dug the tracks JLT played from it last night. The band was tight and having fun, JLT was in his element and the small-but-mighty crowd was eating it up. When Joe took a breather and came back onstage for an encore, I was hoping against dwindling odds that I'd get to hear "Can't Let You Go", IMO the best track on the great Rainbow album 'Bent Out Of Shape'. My newfound friend Dave, sitting across the table from me at dinner, said JLT had played it at Paladino's on Friday the 4th. Oh well, no such luck at the Coach House. Instead we got a pair of Purple numbers I could have done without.

Joe looked good - he's apparently not missing any meals, lol - and he sounded great too. Always nice to meet new friends at shows, and this time was no exception. I shared dinner with a producer from NBC named Dave and his wife Melissa, as well as a lovely young lady named Nicole who had to be about the biggest JLT fan I know (she'll give you a run for your money - I'm talking to you, James Gaden! LOL)

And like John said, I see no reason why Glenn can't do the same thing JLT has done and line up a few West Coast shows like the Coach House, Paladino's, etc. It's just a matter of desire to do so. And since there appears to be no Iommi / Hughes tour on the horizon, or a new HTP album, and there's no travel involved...whadda ya say?

That's all for now, folks. Hope to see a few of you at the Vegas and/or Phoenix shows in February, if they happen! We've got to support these kinds of shows as much as we can - when and wherever they are - if we want them to continue (or multiply)!

Cheers...Todd
Old Nov-07-2005, 1:49 PM

USA

Sounds like it was a great time! I would love to see a show like that, but not holdong my breath for any southern dates - unfortunatly.
Old Nov-07-2005, 2:20 PM

Netherlands

Thanks for the gig review! Nice to know Joe did some songs of his lastest album which is just fantastic. Anyone who's reading this and doesn't have Joe lastest solo record "The Usual Suspects" ... go and buy it! If you don't like it I'll personally refund your money

Cant wait for the pix!

Thanks again!
Old Nov-07-2005, 4:00 PM

USA

Damn....that Nicole.....hot, smart, friendly, into the same music as me....and married. Just my luck.

John
Old Nov-07-2005, 5:03 PM

USA

Here's some pics....more later.
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
fem0bk.jpg   fem0kh.jpg   fem0qe.jpg   fem0yd.jpg  
Old Nov-08-2005, 9:25 AM

USA

Thanks for the review and pics everyone. I had two chances to catch JLT up here in NoCal, and I missed them both. Seems I had a calendar malfunction...

-Marc
Old Nov-09-2005, 3:20 AM

USA

Icon24 Sun 6

I take it that the attractive lady is Nicole........but who are the two over-the-hill heavy metal geeks?
Old Nov-09-2005, 12:49 PM

USA

Icon33

As you're looking at the photo, the handsome young devil on the left is me, and the lecherous old geezer on the right is John.

Cheers...Todd
Old Nov-10-2005, 8:30 AM

USA

LOL!!!! Good one!!!
Old Nov-10-2005, 4:15 PM

USA

Damn tough crowd.... I should have colored my hair last week....Because I lose ten years every time I do it.

John
Old Nov-11-2005, 9:48 AM

USA

Wink That young whippersnapper.....

Don't sweat it John....Poor Todd gets far worse than that from his "big brother" Satan!! Talk about a rock and roll Beaver and Wally Cleaver

Glad you all had a great time at the show...nothing like seeing and hearing great rock and roll in an intimate venue like The Coach House. And half the fun of it is meeting all these cool people from all corners of the earth and sharing that enthusiasm with them.

Oh man..I need to get out of the sticks!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
2006, album, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, HTP, Pix, smoke on the water, solo, solo album, tour