g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Purple Days Talk about shows, setlists, albums, share your memorabilia...past and present.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May-16-2005, 12:42 AM

Netherlands

Lightbulb Stormbringer remaster

Anybody knows when we can expect the stormbringer remaster?
Old May-16-2005, 1:13 AM

USA

Icon33

More importantly, when might we see a remaster of Come Taste the Band?!

Cheers...Todd
Old May-16-2005, 3:26 AM

Netherlands

And most importantly .... would there be anything interesting in the archives to make these remasters worth buying .....
Old May-16-2005, 4:07 AM

Finland

Icon37 Emi

Hello,
when I last - about month ago - asked those and Whitesnake remasters from EMI Finland, the answer was - no, those do not have any release dates or schedules.

Even Live in London 2CD which was on EMI's release list for ages is now put on hold.

I can't understand why they can't release those 2-3 first Whitesnake albums. Those were ready ages ago. what are they waiting for? The day when we all have grown old?

T
Old May-16-2005, 8:45 AM

USA

Icon33

If the Whitesnake albums you're referring to are the "NorthWinds" and "WhiteSnake" albums, those were released in remastered form in 2000. Here in the US, they were released by Eagle Rock/Purple Records. There were two bonus tracks consisting of alternate takes of "Peace Lovin Man" and "Sunny Days", plus the original artwork and some liner notes by Simon Robinson. Nothing too fancy compared to the early Purple remasters, but they're sure nice to have.

Cheers...Todd
Old May-16-2005, 9:40 AM

UK

I think jerklund is referring to "Trouble" and "Lovehunter" Todd. The remasters just jump to "Ready And Willing", and I don't think they're totally with Coverdale's blessing. To be honest, I think these remasters are pretty pointless. My copy of Burn sounds fine, and I notice when I hear all these "Glover remixes" on the Mk II stuff it just sounds a bit louder than before! There's some stuff in my collection that really needs redoing, like Tommy's "Teaser". The sound on that is weaker than hospital tea.

JG

James Gaden's Sig:"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

www.solitaryvision.co.ukwww.jamesgaden.co.ukwww.myspace.com/jamesgaden
Old May-16-2005, 3:40 PM

USA

"weaker than hospital tea" good one james
Old May-16-2005, 10:13 PM

USA

Icon33

James, I think the production on both "Teaser" and "Private Eyes" is appalling. Tommy Bolin Archives has released a bushel of quality Bolin releases - in spite of their somewhat dubious motives.

Todd
Old May-17-2005, 2:03 AM

UK

You're right Todd, I have to crank my Teaser right up. Plays havoc on my iPod!

I wish I could take credit for the hospital tea gag Tony, but I can't, I have to doff my hat to one of the writers at fireworks, John Tucker. He used that to describe production on an album and I loved it!

JG

James Gaden's Sig:"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

www.solitaryvision.co.ukwww.jamesgaden.co.ukwww.myspace.com/jamesgaden
Old May-17-2005, 8:51 AM

USA

Wink The wheels of EMI grind ever so slowly....

I was wondering if all the multi-tracks and masters for Come Taste The Band have all been located yet. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there may have been an instrumental from the sessions in the can that may finally see the light of day. As for Stormbringer, I do recall reading on the DPAS site that all the tapes have been located....yet glaciers sprint in comparison to the speed with which EMI has gotten many of these projects finished.....how long have we been promised the release of the remastered full-length Live In London?

Hopefully Sony will do the legacy of Mr. Bolin right in their remaster of both Private Eyes and Teaser....I just hope all the tapes can be found....wouldn't it be killer to hear "Post Toastee" in its unedited version.

Patrience is the keyword here....though I too want to yell out my window; "HEY!! While we're still young!!"

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old May-17-2005, 11:58 AM

Finland

Icon37 Emi releases...

...yet another collection.
DEEP PURPLE ”Platinum Collection"
3Cd 7243 8735772 3 (200442) EMI UK

EMI Finland will release a Platinum Collection - 41 Deep Purple's greatest hits to honor Tuuri's Miljoonarock on 21.5.

The question is - who needs that collection?

T
Old May-17-2005, 2:06 PM

UK

Yes I agree Todd and James, Teaser and Private Eyes could do with at least a tweek for sure. Sometimes these archive recordings can do with an objective view from an engineer away from the "family." But I still think there are some cracking songs on there which simply need bringing out.

Now I will contradict myself and believe wholeheartedly that Glenn should be involved in the remastering of Stormbringer and CTTB but hey we are biased on here and rightly so
Old May-17-2005, 4:59 PM

USA

Icon33

The nutritious, wheaty side of me has a feeling that Glenn is not so interested in revisiting the past to much extent, and so his participation in Deep Purple remasters would be limited, if at all. Is it worth his time, financially, in the end? I just can't see him devoting the time to such a project, particularly if it might be time he could use to iron out tour details, do a session or two for someone else's project, etc. On the other hand, the crunchy, sweet, frosted side of me feels like Glenn owes it to his own legacy to make sure those remasters are done right, with considerable input from someone who was there when the album(s) was recorded.

Cheers...Todd
Old May-18-2005, 3:41 PM

Austria

Originally Posted by captmidnite1962
I was wondering if all the multi-tracks and masters for Come Taste The Band have all been located yet. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there may have been an instrumental from the sessions in the can that may finally see the light of day.

Sometimes I think my brain will explode any minute (been suffering from migraene since I was a small child) - but I actually remembered a particular thread on this board upon reading the Captain's comments. This one here:
http://fanforum.ghpg.net/showthread.php?t=955

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old May-19-2005, 7:43 AM

USA

Icon47 Heavy mystery time!!

Hello Christian,

I am not positive but I believe it was an interview with Simon Robinson that was the source of the "unreleased instrumental" story. At the time I read it...which was probably 2 years ago or so...the search was on for all the CTTB related multitrack recordings. This even predated the EMI 6-CD box set.

The issue of missing/erased/stolen tapes is certainly not unique to Deep Purple. Glenn himself said that the masters for Hughes Thrall are missing and I can also remember Chris Squire wanting to do a 5:1 mix of his "Fish Out Of Water" CD only to find that the multitracks are nowhere to be found; the interviewer joked that some ex-manager must have them stashed in his desk somewhere!

I just hope our story here has a happy ending!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old May-19-2005, 2:03 PM

USA

if chris squire's tapes are gone im glad i got the japanese cd when i did
Old May-20-2005, 4:04 PM

Canada

Extra CTTB Trax's

"It's About Time" which was originally released on Glenn Hughes' "PLAY ME OUT " solo CD/Album. There were a few other tunes as well. But according to Glenn's own comments below it was rehearsed by the band but dropped at the last minute for the album CTTB. Hope this helps.

Glenn Hughes: "Tommy suggested that one of the songs, "It's About Time", should be recorded for the 'Come Taste the Band' album. We rehearsed it, but at the eleventh hour I decided I'd rather hold it for my solo album, so I sat down and wrote "This Time Around" for Purple instead"

** From the sleeve of Play Me Out CD.

Regards,

Gordo
Old May-23-2005, 6:30 PM
Blackmore

The question is: is there something decent unreleased from the Stormbringer sessions??? Blackmore being so uninspired and etc.

From CTTB it would be nice if they released some instrumental... the album is so short on them... songs are quite short, except This Time Around/Owed To G and You Keep On Moving.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Share Thread

Tags
2000, 2004, album, albums, Deep Purple, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, hughes thrall, London, related, search, solo, solo album, tommy bolin, tour