g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Media Centre Interviews & the Press; pictures, video & soundbytes.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep-05-2003, 1:07 AM

UK

Classic Rock October Issue

Hi Grace, another year gone by!

The October issue (yes I know it’s only September 5th) of Classic Rock has plenty of stuff GH and DP related this month.

Firstly a couple of letters about DP’s recent gigs. One letter agrees with CR that they weren’t too good and another says they were, although that guy said that the Hammersmith show he went to was one of Jon Lord’s last gigs with DP!

Glenn’s tour gets a mention in the gigs list but doesn’t include the Cambridge date (for which my ticket has now arrived ). Elsewhere there are also adverts by The Mean Fiddler for its GH gig and the Love and Homecoming flyer available from this site.

There is also an interesting 10-page spread, including 4 full pages of pictures, on Deep Purple MK4 by Geoff Barton. The story relates to their final world tour and all the problems due to Glenn and Tommy’s drug problems. Geoff has dug out his original interviews with TB, DC, and GH and reminisces about those days when he travelled with the band in the states. He also interviewed RB at the time as Rainbow were just kicking off and gives RB’s views on things. It would appear he has spoken to Glenn again recently for more memories of the time. Quote “GH today: C’mon, you saw me at the start of my addiction. It was not pretty. Towards the end it was not pretty. I scraped myself off the walls of insanity. I was barking like a dog towards the end. There’s a quote for you: ‘Barking like a dog’.?
Unfortunately I can’t scan this article but I am sure someone will post it on here.
After reading this you thank God that Glenn came through

Finally, there is a review of DP’s Bananas which is pretty mixed and gives an overall rating of “disappointing?. Their “in a nutshell? verdict is “The Purple people try their best to go bananas, but the best they can manage to serve up is a lemon?.
Time constraints mean I wont be able to post this till next week.

It's in my blood
Old Sep-05-2003, 5:23 AM

USA

Thanks Wolfysmith, for your report.....
I almost wish that I could find this magazine somewhere here in America, just to read the junk that they write. ALMOST.

How many times do journalists need to dig up the past? Do they ALWAYS have to drag up the old news? Can't they just celebrate the fact that (thank God and Betty Ford) Glenn found the strength to save himself and has been producing such magnificent music for 11 years?

Or are my questions too logical, and therefore, aren't worth answering?

PS.....Sorry to report: I have received NO MONEY for the "Free the Bradford 6" fund, and, let alone raising bail money for you people, I will be unable to pay you for the great reporting job that you have been doing!!! Take care.....

PPS....Hey, if Glenn ever decides to "go country"......."Thank God and Betty Ford"...... would be a great title for a new song, huh?

Old Sep-06-2003, 12:20 PM

Canada

Excellent. Thx for posting it. Look forward to reading it. I think the guy doing the MK 4 piece had also attended a few gigs during that tour. And according to one guys review of the article Tommy was on fire in Houston. Great night out. But it's also great to see someone cover the good, the bad and the not so good about this lineup. But when they were ON they were a great band. It's also a testatment to where Glenn's has come from in the past to where he is today. WHAT A COMEBACK, GLENN. Keep up the good work and keep playing music and touring. Nice to know that Glenn had some good nights out with Tommy. Too bad there's no Boot of the Houston date?? Or a complet VHS of this great lineup. And although the MK 4 lineup had some bad moments ,,,,let's not forget the good moments, either. Does a Houston bootlet exist. And Glenn, BRO,,,,keep on playing and touring.
Old Sep-08-2003, 2:43 AM

UK

Grace,

The mag seems to revel in tales of Sex, Drugs & Rock n Roll. Every issue there is some article or other on how bad a band were - usually Motley Crue!
The article wasnt really having a go at Glenn, it was just telling it like it happened. There are lots of "GH today: ...." type quotes in the article so he must have agreed to it. I think it shows just how close Glenn was to the edge during the last year of DP and its a miracle he didnt end up like Tommy & so many others.

It's in my blood
Old Sep-08-2003, 5:10 AM

USA

When I first saw/heard Glenn at the Birch Hill-New Jersey concert, I was in total agreement with what he said; about the help he got when he really needed it. Everything since "Glenn Hughes Blues" has been, in my opinion, "bonus tracks" from GH's higher power........

So, if Glenn ever does try to "go country" (is there such a thing as a heavy-metal banjo????) here's the lyrics to what I hope Glenn will turn into "a right snappy tune"..........

Thank God and Betty Ford
I'm alive
Without them two a-helpin' me
I wouldn't have survived
Walkin' down a tough road
I didn't know what to do
But then I asked the Lord for help
And Betty pulled me through
So now I'm makin' music
I'll always be "The Voice"
But thanks to God and Betty Ford
A good life is my choice.......

Old Sep-08-2003, 12:14 PM

UK

We have a poet in our midst! Nearly as good as the 'Ode to Glenn' or was it 'Glenn's Prayer?'

Old Sep-08-2003, 1:05 PM

USA

Thanks Shirl, just try to imagine your basic Duane Eddy "twangy guitar" with a couple of banjos plunkin' away.....and I think we done got ourselves a hit!!!!!

Seriously, I usually try to write funny postings, and sometimes I am pathetically un-sucessful....as in the recent comments I wrote here, for which I SINCERELY APOLIGIZE. (GH, JLT, Shirean and David know what I'm talking about.)

But I'm sure that all of us GH Crazy People, have put a new GH album on our CD player, or decided to listen again to an album from the past......and said to ourselves, "Thank God that we have this talented man, filling our lives with his music. Nobody else like him....not even close."

So although my "lyrics" are meant to be funny, I mean every word of it,
and I think other GHCP's do, too.

Old Sep-10-2003, 11:45 AM

UK

You're right again Grace - nobobdy else like him, not even close!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Share Thread

Tags
addiction, album, classic rock, cover, David, Deep Purple, GHCP, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, related, Shirean, tour