g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Media Centre Interviews & the Press; pictures, video & soundbytes.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan-13-2009, 11:11 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,849 Times in 2,720 Posts
Icon33 Glenn Hughes Already Wins New Season of American Idol!

A very complimentary article appeared today in Connecticut based newspaper, The Day, today Hopefully it'll introduce our man to a few of their readers

Glenn Hughes Already Wins New Season of American Idol!

Published on 1/13/2009
Rick Koster
Arts reporter/column
TheDay.com Connecticut

Quote:
American Idol starts its 507th season Tuesday. And while I realize this topic is largely the royal purview of my pal Elissa Bass, I would like to speculate on one thing -- even as millions of households prepare to gather on the couch without moving for the next several months as they watch the latest competition in a legacy that has brought us Fantasia Barrino, Bo Bice and Clay, er, Adkins.

What I wanna know is: if you could see any relatively unknown singer of yore magically enter the competition, who would it be? Obviously, it has to be someone who achieved a small amount of fame or you presumably wouldn’t know of them to respond to this. But it can’t be someone like Freddie Mercury or Bono or Anita Baker.

For example, I’m thinking of Glenn Hughes -- and, no, not the Village People guy named Glenn Hughes.

The Glenn Hughes I'm thinking of achieved moderate fame in the ’70s and ’80s, first in the ludicrously forgotten power trio Trapeze, then as a replacement for Roger Glover in Deep Purple (that’s his reach-the-stars high harmony over David Coverdale in "Burn"). And also in the one-off Hughes/Thrall experiment that produced a true classic hard rock album. I also think he spent a little time in Black Sabbath, but I don't feel like counting that. He also has a relatively hearty solo career to this day in Europe and the Far East, but ...

I can see your faces scrunch up in confusion because you probably have no idea who I’m talking about. (I’m not being snobby or going all Music-Crit on you -- and one reason is that, for a Professional Writer About Music (PWAM), I have decidedly unpopular taste in the context of other PWAMs. I actually like Yes, for example, and I don't like Pavement. Which will ensure that I'll never have any respect from anyone.

Back to Glenn. There are dozens and probably hundreds of these really great artists who never got the fame they probably deserved. But, here, listen to "Love Communion" from a recent album. Old school soul (he was always a funk-head). This would kill on American Idol.

So I’m saying it would be really great if Glenn Hughes was magically transported in time and history and could now enter the new season of American Idol.

I assure you he’d blow some minds. He’d open his mouth and start to sing something like "Coast to Coast" and Ryan Seacrest would literally melt like the bad witch* in The Wizard of Oz. He’d be just a greasy, steaming pool of Professional Host gunk on the stage, with Simon pursing his lips in distaste and Paula vomiting in horror and Randy lamenting, "Oh, Dawg," and the New Babe saying, "That’s creepy - but, yes, you can really sing, Glenn."

In the spirit of Glenn: What relative unknown from your record collection would you like to see sneak into the AI competition?

And, again, please: don’t send in Roy Orbison or Aretha Franklin. Follow the rules!

* Actually, I vastly prefer the Bad Witch over the Good Witch. Does anyone look less fun than the Good Witch? She looks like some Holy Roller I'd have met at Baylor and, after two minutes of conversation, I would devoutly hope she'd fall into the Baylor mascot pits where they have real bears.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=4aea5e9a-52cb-4b76-bab6-7fe132b5e3ae
Old Jan-13-2009, 11:43 AM

USA

This write-up is so unbelievable, David.

Our boy singing ~ "I don't want to live that way again."

Old Jan-13-2009, 3:23 PM

UK

Thumbs up The Book We're All Waiting For

I was poking about on Ultimate Guitar just now (www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews) and came across an interview with Joel McIver published today.

Although the interview is primarily regarding the release of Joel's impending book release "The 100 Greatest Metal Guitarists", it is pleasing that GH is mentioned on this particular website by interviewer Robert Gray "2009 will witness additional books from the man's pen, particularly the autobiography of erstwhile Deep Purple and Trapeze musician Glenn Hughes". Not sure I like the use of the word 'erstwhile' but I guess it's not intended to be offensive.

Regardless, Joel is clear about Rock'n'Roll Madness, giving it a very subtle larging up: "Glenn’s book will come out in 2009 and will be amazing, I kid you not".

I don't remember Glenn ever getting a plug on UG before, for what it's worth.

Old Jan-13-2009, 6:20 PM

USA

Icon32

I just had a John H moment ........

A few minutes ago I left the family room because the new season of American Idol came on the TV. I let my wife watch that all by herself

What is the first thing I see when logging on? ......this thread.

I can hear in the background, some girl singing Barracuda.

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Jan-15-2009, 5:25 AM

UK

Chip, comiserations old chap!

Over here Simon Cowell's show is called X Factor. It's the same format. The newbies that get through to the final rounds cry and whinge their way to master classes. Maybe Kate Winslett could take a few aside and show them how to cry with passion. Anyway Britney Spears and Mariah Carey were two of the stars to participate.

Carey was hilarious by the way. Always filmed next to her stairs, for easy exit from the smelly ordinaries at the foot no doubt and of course to facilitate a grand entrance, the tone was Royal. Armed with a Joker style painted on smile, "why sooo patronising?" she gave forth with serenity, sincerity and infinite wisdom while the little things paid homage to her open toed sandals. It was straight out of the Imelda Marcos back catalogue.

Maybe there's the answer. Yes I know the producers will prefer some tired old celebrity "name" who hasn't done a gig in five years and reckons parading the new teeth job on the cover of Hello is actually an artistic achievement.

Glenn on the other hand would be perfect in this role as, unlike Spears and Carey, he would actually give a **** what happened to these people. Good for profile too. At least there are some journos who can disseminate quality when they see it.

Well done Rick Koster and also David for sharing it with us.
Old Jan-15-2009, 8:43 AM

USA

I may get thrown out of the country for saying this,
but I think that "American Idol" is a terrible, evil show.
Yeah, it's meant "stardom" for a few talented people,
but the few times that I've caught a moment or two of it,
I've seen - "You have no talent. Forget your dream, and get out of here."
So where's the difference from the vintage, equally cruel "Gong Show?"

I'm very happy that this guy, Rick Koster, thought of our boy,
and wrote such a great article about how talented GH was in the past,
and remains even more so today.

But rather than going on "AI" how's about Glenn going on Jay Leno's,
just before the LA show in March? Cripes, Glenn can even walk to Burbank, California.
How far away is it from where Glenn lives....a couple of miles?

Then, just before the BB King's show in New York, how about if Glenn goes on the
Letterman show? (Not that there was enough room at BB's the last time, June 2007.)

But in a perfect world ~
I would want that new US citizen ~ Glenn Hughes ~
(the guy who hits those high and low notes in "The Golden One" video)
to sing the national anthem, "The Star Spangled Banner"
at an up-coming ceremony next week, in Washington, DC.

Old Jan-15-2009, 11:35 AM

UK

Too true Grace. The producers of Jay Leno, Letterman and over here Jools Holland should actually answer their emails one day. They're missing the main story and that's without one second of bias. It's true.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Share Thread

Tags
2007, 2009, album, autobiography, bass, book, Coast to Coast, cover, David, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughesonline, guitar, history, Hughes/Thrall, infinite, MySpace, solo, Trapeze, Video