g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Closed Thread

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec-24-2011, 12:31 PM

France

I like the WB album but not that much! Thanks for the updates & merry Christmas!...Don't need no demonstration, I'm in my transformation, that's when I knew I had my REVELATION...i.e. BCC 3 in 2012? Peace
Old Dec-29-2011, 4:53 PM

USA

new solo release scratched in favor of focusing on new BCC in june according to new interview with eric blair. its going to be a long wait for the next solo release

Ken's Sig:so light a candle in the window.......
i will be coming home tonite
Old Dec-30-2011, 12:49 AM

USA

Joe doesn't seem to have a problem putting out solo albums, touring &

playing on other people's albums while still having time to write & record

for BCC! So what gives with Glenn? He appears to be the only one

in the band that really cares about it! I think Joe puts his solo career first!

Seems Glenn is now using BCC as a crutch! Just hope that BCC 3 isn't

the same as 1& 2! Need to see some growth!

galleyfan's Sig:SCOTT
Old Dec-30-2011, 4:11 AM

Germany

Icon48

Well said, Scott. I see it pretty much the same way. While for most of the others it was clear from the start that this was going to be just an occassional project, it was also obvious that Glenn wanted it to become a bit more than this. Being 60 now, one doesn't have that much time and many chances anymore as with 35, like Joe, but I think this was clear for many observers anyway, as far as I heard. Joe is right in the middle of his momentum now and to push his solo career even just a bit less would be the biggest mistake he can do. He is smart enough to know that, of course. Musically, Glenn doesn't need "crutches" anyway. The "crutches" only might help in the degree of attention you might receive. That's all and even this is not for sure. The "using X as a vehicle" thing does hardly work out anyway and it never did in the past too, as we all know. I hope Glenn realises that he can't force things and that he must take it as it comes, one day at a time and in the meanwhile he can do for what he needs noone else for: Creating superb music by himself and under his own name. The fans do love him for that. Not for the number of headlines in certain print magazines or for the number of TV appearances. They love him for the music.
Old Dec-30-2011, 4:47 PM

USA

RATS! BCC has been very well represented this past year, between BCC 2 and the live DVD. I'd much rather see Glenn focus his attention on a new solo recording.

Joe Bonamassa's been a busy guy. He released his solo album Black Rock in March of 2010, a live album in October 2010, Dust Bowl in March of 2011, BCC 2 came out in June, he released an album with Beth Hart in September, and then the BCC DVD came out in October. My gut feeling is Joe will grow weary of BCC if it keeps up the pace it has so far, and starts to affect his solo output - which is where he really shines. Is there any reason Glenn couldn't take a breather, recharge his batteries with a new solo release, then reconvene BCC in the fall? I'll bet if he was asked, Joe might prefer Glenn go off and do a solo record - which is where Glenn himself really shines - before taking on another BCC album so soon.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to toadsterama For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-31-2011, 1:49 AM

UK

Its a strange one. Most fans, well the ones who post on their respective websites, seem to prefer the solo material. Glenn's fans, and i include myself in this,seem to prefer his solo material. Joe's fans also seem to prefer his solo material. I enjoy BCC, but it just doesnt have that Je ne sais quoi [Apologies to Stormie].That essence of Glenn, the mix of soul,funk,blues,rock,pop that most of his solo material encompasses.

So there must be a new audience for BCC to make it worthwhile. I have a question for them, and the press. What is the difference in the quality of the BCC albums, and some of the solo stuff such as SITKOR, Soul Mover?

Certainly i would have preferred a solo album next as opposed to new BCC.

Actually, its not that strange. Glenn wants to be seen and heard by a bigger audience, after all, that is why he left Trapeze to join DP. I suspect that Glenn isn't following his heart and to me that's a shame. We've seen this before throughout his solo career where he's changed musical direction to keep the record companies happy as they wanted less funk and more rock on his albums. I can remember him being pretty scathing about simple rock music and how he found it unsatisfying around the time of the HTP albums, which i feel are as good as the BCC albums,others may disagree.

Ultimately i feel Glenn has earned the right to make the music he wants to, to please himself, whether that decision is based on musical reasons, or business reasons, only he will know, and who are we to judge?
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Paul J For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-31-2011, 3:24 AM

Sweden

Focusing on BCC 3 probably makes more sense from a business perspective (or have they now peaked commercially?), yet I'd much rather see him make a new solo album instead. I feel BCC is slightly limited in where they can go musically, whereas Glenn solo always offers distinct variation from one album to the next (eg Soul Mover, Building the Machine, The Way It Is, SITKOR). This is what makes him so interesting to follow. With BCC 3 and Shirley in the producer's chair once again you can kind of tell how it's going to end up sounding.

In my opinion, BCC's "classic rock" format slightly limits Glenn. Bonamassa doing Paul Kossoff style riffing is good for an album or two, but there's only so far you can go with that genre...

Just my 2 cents. Interesting to hear what others think.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to danielb For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-31-2011, 2:00 PM

USA

DanielB's comment about BCC 3 and Kevin Shirley had me thinking. I don't know how many of you have heard Joe Bonamassa's 2006 solo album You and Me, but it features Joe, Jason Bonham and was produced by Kevin Shirley - basically, 3/5 of Black Country Communion. And the sound of the album is stellar, which is why the production on the BCC albums perplexes me. THIS is what BCC should sound like...
Joe Bonamassa - Bridge to Better Days - YouTube

Glenn's albums have always had great production. Seems to me his songs are being done a disservice if they're buried in a lo-fi mix. Kevin Shirley and the band owe it to themselves, and to their listening audience, to make the material sound like a million bucks.
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to toadsterama For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-04-2012, 2:02 PM

USA

Pre-determining a genre

I tend to wish for Glenn the same as Chris, the starter of this thread, namely that Glenn would go into his next solo album with no pre-determined ideas about what KIND of music he's going to make. And I think a lot of people missed the point that Chris made in his second post, which was that he feels that if Glenn did that -- tried to simply make the best possible album he could (which to me is the feeling that the Trapeze and the Purple albums Glenn did and some of Glenn's solo albums have) and took his time until he was honestly totally happy with what he'd done that that kind of album would sell better than pre-conceiving that "the album will be rock" - even if that is what the market research points to how he should approach his next solo project. In other words, the point Chris and I are trying to make is that quality will trump, and eventually serve Glenn better than trying to appeal to what he imagines to be his present-day core audience. That's my wish. That the only guidelines Glenn has is that he wants to make music that he is honestly and deeply happy with, and that includes the productions of it, the sound of it. The best albums, in my opinion, e.g. something like (well, nothing's like...) Teaser, have about 5 genres represented on them. Albums where you never know what you're going to get next, where there are pleasant surprises around every corner, but with all of them you walk away saying "wow, that's just plain good music." I think that is all that Chris and I are advocating here. Good, honest, close-to-his-heart Glenn Hughes music. All barriers and boxes be damned! And of course that philosophy totally enables him to rock too when he feels like it.
The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to mickeyhank For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-05-2012, 9:01 AM

UK

Icon34

Iam a Glenn fan from DPMK3 days and while I like the solo albums and the variety they bring I was blown away with BCC1 its a great album for blues rock fans, of which I am one.

Some of that music really moved/ moves me and Glenn really does shine. Joe tweeted the other day that in his opinion the GD is the best ever rock vocal, hard to disagree.

I also beleive that Kevin Shirley has been good for Glenn and the band format is where he really excels. BCC can be huge as there following grows outside of JB and GH fans its bringing new audiences to them both.

Glenn's book has sold very well indeed and above expectations I think, would this have been the case without BCC, I doubt it.Glenn knows what is best for him and right now its BCC, thats just fine with me.

Glenn is the main writer in BCC and therfore to write 2 quality albums in one year is a tall order, the relative success of BCC 3 will either break the band big time or, if it does the same level of business as 1 and 2 I expect it will end. So its a pretty important album no doubt to Glenn and his best songs will be on it that's for sure. The direction that that album takes I think will be really interesting to see how there styles develops.

Bring on BCC 3 and hopefully a tour next year and with some luck a few dates in 2012
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Mark3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-05-2012, 4:32 PM

Thailand

Thanks Mickeyhank! That's right. Let's hope, whatever he says in the press, he's recording the album that he wants.

Love Teaser! Along with Malice in Wonderland, Stormbringer and You Are The Music, they are 4 of my favourite all time albums.
Old Jan-14-2012, 6:06 AM

USA

after listening to Middle Of A Dream again, i have to say that is my favorite Glenn style. smooth as silk and soulfull as it gets.

Old Jan-15-2012, 11:43 AM

UK

i like that vocal too Ken. similar to his stuff on the Alchemist. If he had sung in this style on more mainstream type music he could have been a household name.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Paul J For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-17-2012, 10:05 AM

USA

Icon33

I have watched and rewatched the BCC 'Live Over Europe' DVD, which in turn has made me revisit the BCC 2 album, which in turn has inspired further viewings of the BCC DVD again. I have a renewed enthusiasm for BCC 2. There are some truly great things going on with that album. As the band moves forward to the next release...
  • I would like Kevin Shirley to produce an album which sounds like the live mix on the DVD, where the songs come alive. It really sucks having to remix an album on my own stereo system because the producer buried the high end in the mix.
  • I hope Glenn gets over his Led Zeppelin fetish. I understand the influence in Jason's playing style, but that doesn't mean Glenn needs to rewrite "Misty Mountain Hop".
  • I'd like to hear even more of Derek Sherinian. It still feels like he's been relegated to the background, a la Geoff Nicholls from Sabbath. Instead, he should be a greater presence like Jon Lord was with Purple.
  • I'd like to see the rest of the band contribute more of the songwriting.
So with that in mind, I hope Glenn and company knock the next album out of the park, and that they continue their upward swing.
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to toadsterama For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-17-2012, 11:02 AM

UK

Todd,

I'm with you on the sound mix and Derek.

I cant understand why its not sharp and crisp like Journey's album he also produced.

I have played Derek's solo album from last year a lot. He really can play and we need to hear some solo duels like Blackmore and Lord did. We didn't really get that on the live shows either. I'd love to hear a 10 minute epic that had them trading runs up and down the notes.

I'd be happy if Glenn wrote the whole thing as a solo album and then got the rest to play on it. His solo stuff is easily as good as BCC so rather than shelve his solo rock album let them be the session men!

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jan-24-2012, 11:54 PM

UK

So Glenn is in the studio with Chad. What about a guitar player? Surely they need one of those.

In unrelated news, John Sykes has suddenly left the project he was doing with Mike Portnoy, although apparently no known reason why yet.
Old Jan-25-2012, 12:04 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,713 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
So Glenn is in the studio with Chad. What about a guitar player? Surely they need one of those.

In unrelated news, John Sykes has suddenly left the project he was doing with Mike Portnoy, although apparently no known reason why yet.

Luis Carlos Maldonado (Into The Presence) was with them the other day.

I hear Richie Kotzen is stepping in for John Sykes with that other Portnoy project.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-25-2012, 3:09 AM

Germany

Now that sounds interesting. Maybe Jim Scott was with them as well again?

Glenn, Chad, Jim Scott, Luis Carlos Maldonado & Tech [Pic.by Gabi Hughes]

geosoulberlin's Sig:That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock...
Old Jan-25-2012, 4:11 PM

USA

keep it funky with kollman and kotzen too

Old Jul-25-2012, 8:20 AM

USA

New Glenn cd

I love everything Glenn does, much like all of you. I personally think Glenn has elements of rock in his funk songs, and elements of funk in his rock.

It is really hard to separate the two.

I would really love to see Glenn cut an album of re-recorded classic tracks, updated with a modern recording production values. I love all the old Trapeze songs, but the sound quality of those 1994 cd releases is pretty bad. I wish Glenn would cut new studio versions of Black Cloud, Touch My Life, Keepin' Time, Good Love, and maybe even Sail Away,
What's Goin' on here...ect. That would be awesome.
Old Jul-25-2012, 2:50 PM

USA

Originally Posted by smithy55 View Post
I love all the old Trapeze songs, but the sound quality of those 1994 cd releases is pretty bad. I wish Glenn would cut new studio versions of Black Cloud, Touch My Life, Keepin' Time, Good Love......

Smithy, you should try to find The Trapeze boxset from Japan (first three Trapeze LPs on CD...mini-LP replicas that sound 100% better than the 1994 releases!!!)
Old Jul-27-2012, 9:35 PM

USA

Thanks for the tip. I will look for them. Hopefully i can find them at a reasonable price.
Old Jul-27-2012, 9:58 PM

USA

I would never want to hear Glenn re-do any of the Trapeze tracks without

old Mel on guitar! I didn't really like the BCC version of Medusa with

Joe on guitar! Didn't really improve on the original at all! He just

needs to write great new songs! I think the road with BCC & Joe is

coming to an end soon, or should since Joe doesn't seem to care much

about the band as the others do! Could always keep the momentum

BCC have & replace Joe for a real tour & a 4th album if the 3rd one

does well! Just wish Glenn would also do solo albums too like Joe!

galleyfan's Sig:SCOTT
Old Jul-31-2012, 2:18 PM

UK

Originally Posted by galleyfan View Post
Could always keep the momentum BCC have & replace Joe for a real tour & a 4th album if the 3rd one does well!

Chickenfoot toured without Chad Smith but but they couldnt have toured without Satriani and i think its same with BCC. Joe is a key ingredient to the band chemistry and live show. And who could replace him? it would have to be another stellar guitarist. Suggestions?

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Aug-01-2012, 3:24 AM

France

Ritchie Blackmore ?
Old Aug-02-2012, 4:27 AM

USA

Its been a while since I've posted regularly as life had BIG changes in store for me. All is well and I'm back.

I have loved BCC since the beginning. I think that both albums are stellar to say the least. The music just moves me like music should. Saying this takes absolutely nothing away from Glenn's solo stuff as I get the same feel from it as I do from BCC.

Seeing BCC live twice last year was amazing! To see a lot of really young people so completely blown away by Glenn's performance, stage presence etc.. It was truly something to behold. Make no mistake, Glenn was at the top of his game and as inspired as I've ever seen him.

I think there is a lot of, and certainly early on, a tendency for fans of Glenn to have preconceived ideas of how this project would turn out. It went on big time over at Joe's site. Almost as if many didn't want to like it. I see the same here. Now fast forward a ways and many have come around to realize that this is some damned good music. Maybe its human nature to want to protect ones idea of what "their" band or artist should be? I think this is true to a great extent and we may all be guilty of this at times.

I for one would love to see BCC go on. They really have some magic going there. But this shouldn't stop Glenn from doing something great on his own. Whether or not this means a true solo gig or another band that showcases another side of him, I think it would be great and then maybe all parties would be happier.
Old Aug-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Finland

Icon37

Hi,
I've been a bit ill - for a change - and today I had (well, kids wanted to watch some cartoons and I actually kinda lost the vote, but I used adult's veto...) time and so we watched "dad's pal's" DVD (anyone who's been in a photo with me is my pal according to my son Leo). This time around we chose BCC's Live Over Europe. Leo complained a while but picked up his toy guitar and played along...(he likes fado and especially Mariza so BCC is "too noisy" for him)
...anyway to keep long story shorter.... I started to think what David wrote here yesterday - "expect the unexpected. Well, MK IV will NOT rise over Japan anymore - that's for sure. But what about Hughes/Thrall? How big that would be nowadays? Any takers?

T
Old Aug-16-2012, 12:53 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,713 Posts
The answer lies in looking forward not back So we shall see how things unfold over the coming months... exciting times ahead. Onwards and upwards as they say
Old Aug-16-2012, 1:23 PM

Finland

Icon37

"Onwards and upwards"...what... Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, UFO?

Or: www.onwardsandupwards.org Huh? "Search is your friend"?

...anyway I really like FUNK and wish Glenn would someday do something like that...never done the same album twice but anyway...

T
Old Sep-05-2012, 7:32 PM

USA

love the fact that Glenn can boogie one moment and then rock out the next - a great musician...
Closed Thread

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
1977, 1991, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2013, addiction, album, albums, autobiography, book, classic rock, drums, glenn, guitar, jason bonham, joe bonamassa, keys, press, solo, solo album, soul mover