g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures > Video

Video Got movie clips? Place them here, along with your gig Report!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul-30-2011, 2:42 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,849 Times in 2,720 Posts
Icon34 BCC live in Manchester, UK

Glenn and Black Country Communion played at Academy in Manchester, UK tonight

Black Country
One Last Soul
Crossfire
The Battle For Hadrian's Wall
Song Of Yesterday
I Can See Your Spirit
Save Me
Cold
The Ballad Of John Henry
The Outsider
(Keyboard solo)
The Great Divide
Sista Jane

Encore:
Man In The Middle
Burn
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-31-2011, 1:50 AM

UK

Icon31

HOT STUFF!

It was 24C outside and even hotter inside - and thats before the bands hit the stage

Michael Schenker did a decent 45 minute set with a mix of Scorpions( Rock u Like a Hurricane, Another Piece of Meat), UFO(Rock Bottom) and MSG numbers plus a couple from his new album which i think they said was out in September. I really liked one of the new ones and it held its own against the older stuff.

On to the main event. There's not much to add to previous reviews that hasn't already been said. The band were tight, rockin and enjoying themselves. It's clear to see how much being on tour for so long has added an extra edge and confidence to the whole band. Little extra fills here and there, extended endings and solos etc.

Jason Bonham really does drive the whole band along and was quite phenomenal. Derek's keyboards add so much more than you realise on record. And Glenn and Joe are the icing on the cake

Personal highlights for me were Save Me, SOY, Great Divide and Man In The Middle (where the sound was the best all night). A shame i didn't get to hear Faithless but replacing it with GD was a real bonus

When the band left the stage after the encores the chant of B C C was deafening!

After the show i got the chance to catch up with Dani & Pete who i hadnt seen since Glenn played at JBs plus Keith Thompson

Then backstage i got the chance of a brief chat with Derek and a photo with Jason before Glenn came out and said hello to everyone.

I also spoke to Ian Harvey of the Express and Star who said that his review and pics should appear on the E&S website but not necessarily in the paper. His review of High Voltage never got into print

Then i had a good talk with Drew Thompson about Phoenix Rising. He's got a few other exciting things DP in the pipeline but nothing imminent.

Then finally Glenn let slip some exciting news about stuff he's doing later this year - but we are all sworn to secrecy until it gets announced

I videoed Crossfire, Great Divide, Sista Jane and the encores but not had a chance to watch yet. No doubt David will have a whole bunch of YouTube stuff up here pretty quick!
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
DSCN4685.JPG  

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
The Following 6 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-31-2011, 3:50 AM

zUKUSA

"Black Country"
‪Black Country Communion - Black Country - Manchester Academy 30 July 2011‬‏ - YouTube
"Song Of Yesterday"
‪Black Country Communion - Song of Yesterday - Manchester‬‏ - YouTube
Old Jul-31-2011, 6:43 AM

Germany

Thanked 1,380 Times in 787 Posts
A few pics from Manchester:

www.flickr.com/photos/m_g_gray/sets/72157627317670644

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to lioness For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-31-2011, 2:41 PM

UK

The last leg of the critically acclaimed UK tour ended here in the packed out 02 Academy. Having reviewed BCC last week at Llandundno, the difference here was energy.

This time around, the effervescent Jason Bonham stepped it up an extra gear (as if fourth gear wasn’t good enough) and the others nodded to the challenge until the result was teetering on rock heaven. Schenker also sensed the mood and was just a little more chipper this time around. The audience responded emphatically to a more direct rock n’ roll approach to proceedings.

A trawl around social media and our own extensive coverage of High Voltage will only confirm some of the superlatives I offer here. Talking of which, my fellow backstage passer, ‘Wolfy’ Smith from the Glenn Hughes forum reminded me that they had dropped ‘Faithless’ off BCC2 for the more up tempo ‘The Great Divide.’

Modern classics like the epic, ‘Song of Yesterday’ the Zeppelinesque ‘Save Me’ and the heartfelt ‘Cold’ stood out better with an extra rocker in the set. so by the time we get to ‘Sista Jane, the audience is primed for a good old headshake.

During ‘Ballad of John Henry’ I was reassured by the Mancunian audience that I was not the only anorak who noticed Tommy Bolin’s guitar signature on Billy Cobham’s ‘Stratus,’ greeted as it was with shrieks of genuine delight. A lovely touch.

Bonamassa was sublime in delivery, Hughes the ultimate rock star, Sherinian providing a classical foil and Bonham in peak form. Black Country Communion have finally rewritten the chapter on ‘supergroups.’

A way of gauging whether my own human emotions had got in the way of objectivity, I observed the body language of the audience. Eyes wide, mouths open, smiles, nods, head movement, clapping hands above heads and, above all, deafening cheers following each and every piece. ‘Song of Yesterday’ is surely an irony. This is a band of the now.

BCC’s secret recipe consists of quality material presented immaculately on a bed of awe.

In spite of having had the privilege of having worked for Glenn Hughes during the noughties, I still found it difficult to put into words to him after the show what a jaw dropping performance this was without sounding like a Elmer Fudd. Inspirational.

As the most stunning version of ‘Burn’ I have heard since Caljam came to a tumultuous close, I concluded that it is almost criminal that this tour is nearly over. Although we have the consolation of knowing that the people of Norway will be the last to benefit. It’s all about perspective.

"Burn"
‪Black Country Communion - "Burn" - Manchester, UK - July 30th, 2011‬‏ - YouTube
The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Keith Thompson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-31-2011, 4:19 PM

zUKUSA

"Cold"
‪Black Country Communion Manchester July 2011‬‏ - YouTube
Old Jul-31-2011, 11:40 PM

UK

You can see my review of Manchester above now at Get Ready to Rock Wolfy gets a mention I will pm you Wolfy.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Keith Thompson For This Useful Post:
Old Aug-01-2011, 4:42 PM

zUKUSA

You can now find some pix from the gig in the "Tour Pix" section of the site
Old Aug-04-2011, 4:24 AM

zUKUSA

A new UK based, video opinion site, Winkball.com, sent some reporters down to the Black Country Communion gig in Manchester to interview around 30 fans at random, to get their impressions of seeing Black Country Communion live in concert (pre & post gig). Each of the fans were filmed in 1 or 2 minute segments to camera.

www.winkball.com/walls/Aop2NQ8xv2A7/black-country-communion-at-manchester-academy

Once there, click on any fan image, to launch their video player to see & hear what they're opinion is
Old Aug-04-2011, 2:50 PM

zUKUSA

The Manchester Evening News gives the recent Black Country Communion gig a glowing live review... you can also read the online edition here:

www.citylife.co.uk/news_and_reviews/reviews/10019756_review__black_country_communion
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Manchester Evening News_Aug 1 2011_BCC gig review.pdf (359.9 KB, 4 views)

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures > Video

Share Thread

Tags
2011, Academy, album, bands, bass, Black Country Communion, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, guitar, jason bonham, Manchester, solo, tour