g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Media Centre Interviews & the Press; pictures, video & soundbytes.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar-04-2014, 6:10 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,850 Times in 2,721 Posts
Icon49 California Breed - Pre-Order, Artwork & Tracklist Revealed

Think of California and you think of brilliant color and bright sunlight. Think of a breed and it's all about bloodlines and brotherhood. Put the two together as CALIFORNIA BREED, and you have the most exciting new band of 2014, built around the foundation of legendary vocalist-bassist Glenn Hughes, drummer extraordinaire Jason Bonham and 23-year-old newcomer guitarist-singer-songwriter Andrew Watt. Mixing massive riffs, gutsy vocals and gale force rhythms, this powerful three-piece band will release their self-titled debut album May 19th in Europe and May 20th in USA, on Frontiers Records. It was produced by Dave Cobb.

"California Breed" was recorded at Cobb's Nashville studio and features equal co-writing credits among the three-man lineup. "It's proper rock," Hughes told Classic Rock magazine, "but at the same time it's very now. Andrew is as influenced by Mick Ronson as he is Jimmy Page." "This kid is amazing," says Bonham. "The first time we met I thought he looked like the white Jimi Hendrix. And he plays in the studio like he's on stage!"

Glenn Hughes, 'The Voice Of Rock', is a true original, a legendary icon whose credits include DEEP PURPLE and guesting with everyone from BLACK SABBATH to EARTH, WIND & FIRE — up to his most recent collaboration in rock supergroup BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION. No other rock musician has carved such a distinctive style blending the finest elements of hard rock, soul and funk. That astonishing voice is Hughes' calling card.

The legacy of LED ZEPPELIN lives on in Jason Bonham, British drummer and son of ZEP's legendary John Bonham. He has inherited the best of his father's skills while mastering his own distinctive and dynamic technique. Jason has followed his own distinctive path over the years, fronting his own successful outfits like BONHAM, and playing with LED ZEPPELIN, FOREIGNER, HEART and, most recently, movie composer Hans Zimmer.

Andrew Watt is a soulful singer/songwriter and multi-instrumentalist whose high-energy aggressive style and creative spirit are synonymous with New York City.

Hughes says: "I live in the moment, it's all about NOW. CALIFORNIA BREED is exactly where I live, breathe and where my freak flag flies."

Credit: Austyn Weiner

"California Breed" track listing:

01. The Way
02. Sweet Tea
03. Chemical Rain
04. Midnight Oil
05. All Falls Down
06. The Grey
07. Days They Come
08. Spit You Out
09. Strong
10. Invisible
11. Scars
12. Breathe
13. Solo *

* Deluxe Edition includes "Solo" bonus track and a DVD including 2 video clips ("The Way" and "Sweet Tea"), plus documentary.

When BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION disbanded, Hughes and Bonham had a strong desire to keep playing together. Their only challenge was finding a new guitarist worthy of their musicality. Easier said than done for these stars who between them have worked with some of the greatest guitarists in history — including Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page and Joe Bonamassa, to name just a few.

Then fate took a hand in things when Glenn's friend Julian Lennon introduced him to the astounding talents of a New York City hotshot guitarist named Andrew Watt.

"Literally, the first day me and Andrew got together we wrote two songs," recalls Glenn. "One was 'Chemical Rain' and the other was 'Solo', both of which are now on the finished album. I was so moved by the music, I said, 'We've got to record this!' That's when I called Jason."

"I was excited from the start," says Jason, "because apart from locking in as a rhythm section, Glenn and I had started writing together in BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, and we wanted to continue that."

"There was such energy in the room the first time we all played together, me and Glenn didn't even have to talk about it," says Jason. "He was so exited to be playing, though, it was infectious! He was just on stage! No going through the motions, kicking the chair over, everything! I was like, you know what, this kid is a free spirit. It was cool, we all just clicked straight away."

"Nothing though has gotten into my blood like CALIFORNIA BREED," says Glenn. "I feel the same way," says Jason. "I feel like a kid again starting out."

Recording with Dave Cobb at the producer's own studio in Nashville, added all the finishing touches, says Glenn.

"I'd gotten into Dave's work via the RIVAL SONS, who I know and really love. But Dave has done a lot of great stuff. That whole Nashville trip which Dave is a part of. Well, me and Jason don't want to sound like anyone else, we already sound like ourselves, but we felt we needed some fresh energy — and Dave absolutely brought it."

At Cobb's insistence, every vocal was recorded live as the band was playing. "Totally the reverse of what I'm used to," says Glenn. "But I went into that aggressive rock soulfulness and everything down to the whispers, it was all done live! I enjoyed myself so much, just going for it."

For what is on paper a three-piece, the sheer range of sounds and melodies you get from CALIFORNIA BREED are breathtaking.

"I'm the oddball of the group but I'm the thing that makes us different from any other classic rock band. I grew up loving grunge music," explains Andrew. "But my father always played me THE WHO and THE BEATLES and LED ZEPPELIN. I always felt like I was in the wrong generation. I used to make rock music on my own and I'd play all the instruments because I could never find anyone my age that really got it the way I heard it. Then I got to play with Jason and Glenn and I haven't picked up anything but a guitar since!"

"What we've got here is a kid who isn't a hammer-on, virtuoso," says Glenn, "but a whole new entity. This kid grew up listening to Mick Ronson on Bowie's records, as well as Jimmy Page in LED ZEPPELIN. He has a completely different take. And it's fresh and bold and so exciting. It just gets into your blood."
The Following 6 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-04-2014, 5:40 PM

USA

yes

when does the presale start my brother?
Old Mar-04-2014, 6:03 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by tony g View Post
when does the presale start my brother?

...well before the end of the month
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-05-2014, 2:12 PM

Netherlands

Smile

I hope that there will be also a vinyl (lp) version. Old school rocks!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to willem For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-06-2014, 2:01 AM

France

agree !
Old Mar-06-2014, 1:28 PM

Germany

Thanked 1,380 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by willem View Post
I hope that there will be also a vinyl (lp) version. Old school rocks!

That's exactly my wish too, Willem!

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
Old Mar-08-2014, 2:49 AM

UK

when do you get to hear it David?

you've been lucky enough to hear the last few releases and post a review before they came out.

hopefully you can give us a pre-release track run down.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-08-2014, 8:34 AM

Argentina

Hi David do you know the details of the album´s distribution? Concretely, will it be released locally in Argentina? And when exactly?
Thanks a lot.
Daniel
Old Mar-08-2014, 3:31 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by wolfysmith View Post
hopefully you can give us a pre-release track run down.

...next month! But look out for a video or two from the band before then!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Netherlands

@ yvonne: artwork looks better on lp format
Old Mar-09-2014, 1:29 PM

Germany

Thanked 1,380 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by willem View Post
@ yvonne: artwork looks better on lp format

Yep, that's for sure, Willem. The negative point is that the bonus DVD is hardly ever attached to Vinyl

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to lioness For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-09-2014, 1:34 PM

Netherlands

Wink

@ yvonne: so we have to buy the vinyl (if this version will be released) and the special edition cd/dvd. Good for us collectors and for Glenn!
Old Mar-11-2014, 12:45 AM

zUKUSA

CD + DVD Deluxe Edition now available for pre-order on Amazon.com

http://amzn.to/1enaldW
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
cali_breed_deluxe.jpg  
The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-11-2014, 3:02 AM

France

yesssssssssssssssssssssssss !
Old Mar-11-2014, 4:07 AM

USA

Alright ! I've just placed my order !
Old Mar-13-2014, 12:28 AM

UK

Absolutely love these Orange amps!!!
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
CalBreed01.jpg  

The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-13-2014, 3:31 AM

USA

Absolutely love these Orange amps!!!

That rig is stunning! Lots of air going to be moved
Old Mar-13-2014, 7:46 AM

zUKUSA

The Japanese release of the band's debut album will be on April 30th and will include an additional song, "Breathe (Acoustic)"

Two packages: CD and Limited Edition CD+DVD

CALIFORNIA BREED/CALIFORNIA BREED [w/ DVD, Limited Edition]
VQCD-10369

Quote:
Advanced Japanese release. Album from CALIFORNIA BREED, a project by Glenn Hughes, Andrew Watt and Jason Bonham. Comes with lyrics and a Japanese description. This edition includes a bonus DVD with documentary including interview with member and two music videos. The DVD disc is encoded for region 2 (Japan, Europe, and Middle East), and no subtitles are included.

www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VQCD-10369

CALIFORNIA BREED/CALIFORNIA BREED [Regular Edition]
VQCD-10370

Quote:
Advanced Japanese release. Album from CALIFORNIA BREED, a project by Glenn Hughes, Andrew Watt and Jason Bonham. Comes with lyrics and a Japanese description.

www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VQCD-10370
Old Mar-13-2014, 8:23 AM

zUKUSA

California Breed
Mixing massive riffs, gutsy vocals and gale force rhythms, CALIFORNIA BREED are pleased to announce their self-titled debut album is available to Pre-Order today via iTunes and Amazon.

The powerful three-piece band's album will be released by Frontiers Records on May 19th in Europe and May 20th in USA. Available as a CD, Digital Download and also a Deluxe Edition CD + DVD featuring the bonus song, 'Solo', and 2 video clips, plus documentary. If Digital Download is pre-ordered, an Instant Download of the first single, 'Sweet Tea', will immediately be made available.

Pre-Order Links:

Amazon: CD: http://smarturl.it/CB_AmzCD Deluxe Edition CD + DVD: http://smarturl.it/CB_AmzCDDVD

iTunes: Digital Download: http://smarturl.it/CaliforniaBreed

The first single in the USA is "Sweet Tea" and the first single in the UK is "Midnight Oil"... expect to hear them on the radio shortly in their respective territories
The Following 4 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-13-2014, 12:54 PM

Germany

Hi David, I had this album on my preorder list and got a mail of amazon.de two days ago that preorders can be made now. But then I was surprised that I would have to pay 21,72 € (which is 30,13 $) for an imported DeLuxe version (and I definitely want the DeLuxe version).
Do you know if there will be a European release with a more reasonable price? I think this album will deserve it and a European version with a bonus track would be really cool!

geosoulberlin's Sig:That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock...
Old Mar-13-2014, 1:02 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by geosoulberlin View Post
Hi David, I had this album on my preorder list and got a mail of amazon.de two days ago that preorders can be made now. But then I was surprised that I would have to pay 21,72 € (which is 30,13 $) for an imported DeLuxe version (and I definitely want the DeLuxe version).
Do you know if there will be a European release with a more reasonable price? I think this album will deserve it and a European version with a bonus track would be really cool!

It's being released by Frontiers in Europe, so it'll be set at European prices. Looks like that one you see is an 'Import'... which would account for the higher price. Just a little patience is required I guess
Old Mar-13-2014, 1:15 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by David View Post
The Japanese release of the band's debut album will be on April 30th and will include an additional song, "Breathe (Acoustic)"

Thanks a lot, couldn't resist and just ordered the Limited Edition...

geosoulberlin's Sig:That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock...
Old Mar-13-2014, 1:17 PM

Germany

It's being released by Frontiers in Europe, so it'll be set at European prices. Looks like that one you see is an 'Import'... which would account for the higher price. Just a little patience is required I guess

No problem, until then I will listen to the Japanese edition...can't wait!

The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to geosoulberlin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-13-2014, 11:47 PM

Finland

Icon37

Hi People,
this is what I do...as some might know we have this Official DPAS PSOF in Finland and we have also very active Deep Purple facebook group.
So what I'm going to suggest people to do is: Buy CaliBreed's album from your local CD stores and make sure that that shop's sales are reported to the officials that run your country's official music charts.
By this way we kept Deep Purple's Now What?! after it's release in Finnish charts for 9 weeks, well 10 but tenth was just before X-mas when I was buying it for friends...
The longer the album stays there the better place it gets in super markets etc...it gets also radio play, which still is important. Especially in a small country like Finland.

Cheers,

T

aijoo. new iTunes single "Sweet Tea" is awesome - they only song since Soul Mover that I've played non-stop for like 20 times...
Old Mar-14-2014, 5:50 AM

UK

Icon34

Got the ITunes download "Sweet Tea" no real surprise in sound, a cross between Soul Mover and AW's Chameleon. Very organic and live.

I would say that AW's guitar playing is very sympathetic to the song rather than wanting to fit in 50 notes a second !!! Its all about the grove and it certainly has a great groove. This is far better than having some "guitar hero antics" that have become boring and so outdated now. Great choice by Glenn and Jason to go with Andrew cant wait to hear more!
Old Mar-14-2014, 9:29 AM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by geosoulberlin View Post

...here's a link to the album on the German iTunes store - as you can see, pricing is more in line with what you were expecting, since it's not an Import! You should also see it at that level, at your local Amazon and other outlets very soon!

https://itunes.apple.com/de/album/id836653109
Old Mar-14-2014, 6:27 PM

USA

yes yes yes

preordered at amazon and got the single from iTunes great song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar-15-2014, 3:59 AM

UK

It doesn't show up on Amazon UK yet but its on Play.com as a download album for £7.99 with a release date of 16th May.

i've listened to the 1m30s preview on itunes and like the sound of Sweet Tea but why a different single release here than the USA?

Old Mar-15-2014, 1:50 PM

zUKUSA

...why a different single release here than the USA?

...so the music can introduce, what is a NEW band, to as many folks as possible

Videos are also on the way which will be seen and heard by everyone, everywhere
Old Mar-16-2014, 8:20 PM

zUKUSA

...excellent pre-release endorsement from Eddie Trunk

Quote:
Stunning how great Glenn still sounds now in his mid 60′s! His new band California Breed and their debut album is an early contender for album of 2014 for me. It’s out in May.

http://eddietrunk.com/316-tms-recap-update-more

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Share Thread

Tags
2014, album, Andrew Watt, book, California Breed, classic rock, cover, debut, foreigner, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, guitar, history, jason bonham, joe bonamassa, now what, rig, solo, soul mover, track