g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr-07-2007, 9:54 AM

UK

Arrow This time around-drop the Purple numbers?

Looking at the set lists from Glenn recent gigs, there is still a number of purple numbers being played. Personally I would like to see Glenn concentrate on material from his solo career which is far more suited to the 21st century and his image / personality. Dont get me wrong I am a huge Deep Purple fan however I think Glenns current audience are going to hear Glenn Hughes and leave the rest to the Purple Tribute Bands.

The time is right for the real Glenn Hughes to take on the world.

Would you agree?
Old Apr-07-2007, 11:26 AM

Norway

Yes!!

Personally i would love to hear some of Glenn's solo back catalogue given a live workout, BUT (and it's a big BUT) many of the people who come and see Glenn's shows are seeing him for the first time so I'm sure they love to hear the classics from his previous bands..

Roger Glover and his current band have the same problem...this from Classic Rock:

"CR : You've played in the UK already on this tour. Will the set-list for the upcoming shows alter?

RG That debate rages on. We see people's wish-lists, and as a fan I'd love to be able to play some of that stuff too. The reality is that most people want more obvious things, like Smoke on the Water. Catering for the hard-core is just unrealistic. "

PJ
Old Apr-07-2007, 6:36 PM

UK

I was perhaps a little dissapointed with the number of Purple songs in the Shepherd's Bush set, they were all performed brilliantly, but I would have liked to have heard a few more M4TD songs in the mix, I didn't feel there were enough of them.
Old Apr-07-2007, 6:49 PM

USA

Icon33

I feel like Glenn should at least acknowledge those important eras from his career and play a song each by Deep Purple and Trapeze. He doesn't have to play half of the 'Come Taste the Band' and 'We're Just the Music...' albums, but he shouldn't turn his back on those periods either. They helped him develop into who he is today.

Todd
Old Apr-07-2007, 10:52 PM

USA

More Solo songs the better.

Hello Everyone,

I thought this time around(forgive the real bad pun, as Grace slowly pulls out her fave. axe.) that Glenn would play more of his back catalogue and less purple and trapeze. I know he said that somewhere the last few years it was the time to focus on the solo songs and to stop living in the past. I do think he should do at least one from purple, trapeze and sabbath but rest should be his own. If fans only go to hear him do purple then go see purple.
The man has a lot of great songs of his own I'd love to hear. But too many fans keep him shakled to the past. Time to break the chains Glenn. Be free!

cheers,

Galleyfan

galleyfan's Sig:SCOTT
Old Apr-08-2007, 4:35 AM

UK

I have no problem with a couple of Purple and Trapeze song in a 90 minute show, however 5 out of an 11 track set doesnt do it for me.

Take Blackmore's Night, Ye Olde Ritchie works in a couple of Purple numbers to their set which is fine.
Glenn has got such a fantastic rich and varied solo back catalogue to choose from which is in many ways much better that Purple. I dont know if its a confidence with Glenn however lets embrace the new world , and look forward and not back.

Maybe we need a poll of fave tracks or just the set list you wish Glenn to play.
Old Apr-08-2007, 7:55 AM

Germany

I think it's good that someone holds the flag high for the purple mk.3/4 songs, which otherwise could not be heard anymore. it was and is high class music.
Old Apr-09-2007, 2:30 AM

UK

Its difficult for Glenn. I think some countries want DP stuff more than others - Japan and the old Eastern Bloc for example.

I know i and other fans on here would like a whole set of Glenn solo songs but we are hard core followers who know all his work.

If you say keep a couple of DP and a Trapeze song then why not HTP, Sabbath and HT?. Now half the set has gone!

Personally i would like to see Lay Down, Stay Down in the set. Its a great song and i'd like to see the drumming on it. Ian Paice really gave it some on this and it would be great to see Chad or Mark do the same.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Apr-09-2007, 8:40 AM

Belgium

The set list of the last current tour was great!
i think with a great mix of some Purple and some Glenn catalog!

I'm purple fan but also a glenn fan , and i would love to see him play a lot of purple stuff but i would love to see him play a lot of Glenn song .

so there's no real answer , Glenn is just trying to do the best to please everyone !
Old Apr-09-2007, 12:32 PM

Spain

Hi,

I also would like to see Glenn singing and playing more songs from his recent albums, I have only been in 3 concerts of Glenn (once with Chad) and 2 with JLT, and I have never had the chance to see him singing coast to coast, lay down stay down, way back to the bone or picking up the pieces, just to give and example.

To me it is just a great success that he comes near home to play and it doesn't matter which songs he plays and sings, I am sure they will be great performances.

By the way, I hope Glenn is coming to Barcelona this year.

Cheers

Pere
Old Apr-10-2007, 8:23 AM

UK

I'd agree with Todd. Glenn has a long career and many people come to the gigs to celebrate that career. There have been many vital songs along the way which have helped shape how Glenn sees the world now. This is all relevant. Glenn's past means more to the world than some X Factor/Pop Idol goon with a two year career trying to clear a million bucks by murdering Sinatra classics. Glenn Hughes has a past and he also has a future. Most out there don't have either.
Old Apr-10-2007, 2:58 PM

UK

Originally Posted by Keith Thompson View Post
Glenn Hughes has a past and he also has a future. Most out there don't have either.

Nail on the head Keith!

Old Apr-10-2007, 8:46 PM

USA

Icon33

Originally Posted by Keith Thompson View Post
Glenn Hughes has a past and he also has a future. Most out there don't have either.

I'll second that...(or did I third it?)...either way, great point!

Cheers...Todd
Old Apr-11-2007, 2:31 AM

UK

Hi all

Interesting topic of discussion. When you have had[and continue to have] such a looonnnggg and great career as Glenn has had it must be difficult for him to choose a set list. I have not managed to see him on the m4td tour so my first point is that everyone should be pleased that they got to see Glenn at all

What interested me about the Shepherds Bush setlist is how the m4td songs seem to have been dropped in favour of the Soul Mover songs to make space for the DP songs. A tacit admission perhaps that Soul Mover is the better album????

We all have our favourite songs and preferences for the live sets- i at the moment would love to see a set list full of GH SOLO songs

Best wishes to you all,

Paul
Old Apr-11-2007, 7:43 AM

UK

Icon34

Originally Posted by Paul Johnston View Post
Hi all

Interesting topic of discussion. When you have had[and continue to have] such a looonnnggg and great career as Glenn has had it must be difficult for him to choose a set list. I have not managed to see him on the m4td tour so my first point is that everyone should be pleased that they got to see Glenn at all

What interested me about the Shepherds Bush setlist is how the m4td songs seem to have been dropped in favour of the Soul Mover songs to make space for the DP songs. A tacit admission perhaps that Soul Mover is the better album????

We all have our favourite songs and preferences for the live sets- i at the moment would love to see a set list full of GH SOLO songs

Best wishes to you all,

Paul

I would have loved to see a show on the M4TD tour, but sadly, it didnt happen. However, i would have liked to have heard a mixture, from all eras, but with a bias towards the solo stuff, but i do agree with those who have said its important not to forget certain periods, as they have all contributed to where we are now!
Old Apr-12-2007, 10:25 AM

USA

Originally Posted by the falcon View Post
Looking at the set lists from Glenn recent gigs, there is still a number of purple numbers being played. Personally I would like to see Glenn concentrate on material from his solo career which is far more suited to the 21st century and his image / personality. Dont get me wrong I am a huge Deep Purple fan however I think Glenns current audience are going to hear Glenn Hughes and leave the rest to the Purple Tribute Bands.

The time is right for the real Glenn Hughes to take on the world.

Would you agree?

Hmmm, I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It is true that Glenn has just put out some of his strongest material in recent years and it deserves a live airing. And he can't possibly play 3 hours a night and include EVERYTHING.

Now, DP is where Glenn made his biggest splash and his most obvious source of recognition, so certainly there must be a few DP gems in the set. But I also freely admit that hearing Glenn do songs like "Mistreated" really makes me yearn for the Coverdale-Hughes duo treatment. And I do miss the Trapeze stuff, which always goes down great.

So, I am on the fence with this one. To drop the DP songs altogether in favor of fitting in more solo material is a bit unrealistic, unless Glenn gets a new album high in the charts. So is the idea of Glenn doing 3 hour sets to make sure there's something for everyone (but it sounds nice, doesn't it!).

In closing, I'll take whatever I can get. New Yawk, here we come!

Brian
Old Apr-12-2007, 11:33 AM

UK

Hi All,

Who else will play Mk 4 Deep Purple if not Glenn???

I personally believe the Mk 4 Purple tunes, like Hughes Thrall, are timeless and complement the new funk/groove Soulmover and M4TD material.

I would personally prefer Glenn to concentrate on the DP material that he wrote or co-wrote.

'Holy Man' next tour maybe!

and from the back catalogue...........

.... 'Coffee and Vanilla'.......'Curse'.....'Destiny'.....'Chances' ...'Why Don't You Stay'.....'Against the Grain'........'Where Did the Time Go'....'On the Ledge'.................................!!!

Stay Fun(ky)
Mikey D
Old Apr-13-2007, 1:00 PM

Australia

Does that mean dropping CTC from the set?
I couldn't imagine a GH performance sans Coast to Coast.

Coast to Coast with a string quartet live at The Basement?
Quite possibly the best thing I've ever heard in my life.
Just wait 'till the DVD comes out people, just wait!
Old Apr-14-2007, 12:16 AM

UK

Mike, he didnt perform it on tour last year. In fact no Trapeze songs were done.

Old Apr-22-2007, 7:30 AM

USA

Icon33 Purple Numbers

On this subject I am a bit divided - Most bands I see I want them to play there more current works and more obscure older songss. But... these are bands I get to SEE in the USA. Since I have never seen Glenn live I would really appreciate seeing the the Glenn era Purple songs. First time will be NYC cannot wait!

(the closest I got was 7th Star New Haven - but that ended up being Ray Gillen's first Sabbath show!)

Peace
Tim
Old May-27-2007, 6:44 AM

USA

hello to all.

i havent posted much here but i do have something to say about glenn useing DP songs in his sets. true us hard core fans would love to see/hear nothing but solo/new songs but i do also see the point of using the older songs too. ive read on other blogs and message boards of other bands ( KISS , BLACK SABBATH, AREOSMITH ETC and its always the same """ drop the older songs """ from the core fans , this is very hard to do, because these proformers /bands are playing for all the fans and trying to get new fans into the older music and new music.

still im one of the ones that would love just new music in there live sets.
Old Jun-04-2007, 7:16 PM

USA

Thumbs up in with the new

When King Crimson played LA in March 2003 they played absolutely nothing from before 1994, so it can be done. At least he does play some new songs (ELP in LA in '98 played nothing less than 20 years old; that was very disappointing). But for someone who is still so productive much more of his set should go to what he has done this century. Songs from Voodoo Hill, HTP, and Iommi-Hughes as well as five rockin' funky studio albums in the last seven years can take up 3 hours without anything from the 20th century. That would be quite a statement of how vital and fresh he is.
Old Jun-05-2007, 3:31 AM

UK

Icon34

I would happily agree with you, i would love to here a set list of just Glenns solo material since 1990 or so. It is a crying shame that some truly great songs Blue Jade, Written all over your face, The way it is, Beyond the numb, to name just a few songs that spring to mind never get a look in and newer material ( high road, monkey man etc) from the last couple of albums is dropped to accomodate older Purple stuff.

The blessing and the curse is that in most of the world Glenn will always be associated with Deep Purple so tour promoters will always play upon this past link to pull in the paying punters.

In the markets of Europe this is even more obvious and Glenns set lists in recent times have tended to give the fans what they want and who can blame Glenn he has to earn a living and if this is what he has to do to build up his profile to introduce fans to the newer material then i can`t disagree with the tactics.

So us puriest will have to accept that Glenn is always going to have do a mixed set with some of the old purple stuff ( which he does brilliantly) mabe a couple of trapeze songs and his own solo stuff.

Most artists who would love to have this embarrasment of riches and if Glenn played a three hour concert, most of us fanatics would still have moans about great songs that were missed out
Old Jun-06-2007, 2:58 AM
schreinermusic

You´re right, Ian. It´s an old discussion and at the end of day it would be an impossible thing to do for Glenn to please ALL different tastes of people regarding his setlist. So it can always be just a kind of compromise. If you are on tour with a new album in your back you are just obligated to play primarily stuff from that one to push it, thats what touring is (mostly) all about. But there are always lots of ppl at the concerts who wants to hear classics or material of former releases. As I said, its hard to satisfy them all, unless Glenn is doing a 4 hour set...LOL

For me, a mix of BTM & SITKOR would be definitely a dreamlist...but thats just me very own taste....

Cheers, Achim
Old Jun-06-2007, 2:02 PM

USA

Icon32

How about a two-nighter?
Old Jun-06-2007, 6:24 PM

USA

This of course is an impossible battle. Glenn mostly did songs from the Chad Smith era so Chad could be featured. I dug that, because it meant most of the set was new stuff. I agree though, a couple of DP songs dropped in favor of You Kill Me, or Angela, or Written All Over Your Face would have been great, or 8 million other tunes available. Glenn said he will never play a Voodoo Hill song, so you can forget ever hearing that, or Iommi, Norum or HTP songs. The show was almost 2 hours anyway. As I mentioned the show was so good, I didn't even think about what was missing till after, and I wasn't sad about it, I just saw the greatest concert ever!

John
Old Jun-06-2007, 7:26 PM

USA

Originally Posted by Chip View Post
How about a two-nighter?

I agree with Chip!!!

Old Jun-07-2007, 12:22 AM

USA

it's a tough call

Personally, i love the solo Hughes material, and would love to see a show of just that. But I do understand that there are always people seeing him for the first time, so certain songs will always be played. It doesn't bother me if he would drop Burn. I would also love to hear You Kill Me, Let It Go, I Will Follow You, Beyond The Numb, etc. I do think he should keep Mistreated, as that one has changed from the original, and I love the extended vocal fills Glenn puts into the ending. Overall, I guess a good show has to have balance. We are just looking at it from a hardcore fan perspective. Maybe one day Glenn can do an all-request show!!!
Old Jun-12-2007, 7:44 PM

USA

ive been a papa fan for 30 solid yrs. i saw glenn for the first time at the just played ny show. my wish was to have no opener and glenn play more songs . i love all of his solo stuff, but love the purple ones too. i was thinking that it would be cool if he could play something like one song from each of the main records that he's song on. i missed getting nothing from feel from now on hughes /thrall seventh star fused. its all so good the only complaint anyone could have is not seeing papa often enough and not enough songs regardless any dose of glenn is great ,lets face it a set list from glenn that you may not be happy w/ is better than any other set list from anyone else. just for the record i thought the version of this time around was indeed a "soul mover" for me
Old Jun-12-2007, 9:01 PM

Bulgaria

Hi, guys!
But just think for a while who else would do the Mk3 and Mk4 songs live if not Glenn? There are beautiful songs and Glenn sings them even more beautifully! That is why I think that his set list is wonderfully balanced, otherwise Glenn would have to sing for several hours to satisfy all preferences!

After all whatever he sings live is perfect and worth to be heard! So enjoy every second with Glenn on stage!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
1990, 1994, 1st, 2003, 7th star, album, albums, bands, Chad Smith, classic rock, Coast to Coast, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, HTP, hughes thrall, smoke on the water, solo, soul mover, tour, track, Trapeze, voodoo hill