g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug-27-2004, 12:49 AM

USA

Soulfully Live Review at Melodicrock.com

Sorry to see the negative comments about the DVD but I'm still looking forward to it.

John

Frontiers Records
FRCD203

· Produced By: Hughes and Fabrizio Grossi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
· Running Time:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
· Release Date: September 20

· Released: EU

· Musical Style: Hard Rock

· Links: Frontiers Records Glenn Hughes
89%

Songs: 90%
Sound: 88%

Since his comeback in the mid-90's a new Glenn Hughes release used to be a real event. Now it's a pretty regular thing, with a little less excitement attached, but nevertheless still worthy of getting excited about.
I am a great fan of Hughes and his unique abilities, but wasn't sure what this release would offer.
One listen and it was pretty clear. Several more listens and there is no doubt. This is one for the long time fans – those that have been with Hughes since the early days and those that appreciate his vast musical legacy. Those more casual fans or those just into his more melodic songs/releases will not have as much to gain from this album.
Soulfully Live In The City Of Angels is Glenn and band, with guests, packed into a LA studio for a live performance in front of a handful of invited friends and fans.
It's Glenn at his raw, fly by the seat of your pants, best.
The band for this show features Glenn, with Red Hot Chilli Peppers drummer Chad Smith, guitarist JJ Marsh, keys man Ed Roth and second guitarist George Nastos.
The band are hot, but the star of this show – besides Glenn and his thumping bass playing is drummer Chad, who really puts in a stellar performance.
Glenn's vocals are something else – the man is not called the Voice Of Rock for no reason. He shines throughout this and his tone will blow you away.
I said this is one for the die-hards for a reason. Glenn takes the songs and in this intimate live setting, really gives them a workout. There are only 11 tracks in the live set, yet the gig couldn't fit onto a single CD. Each track is extended and ad-libbed to, with several tracks reaching and even passing 10 minutes in length.
If you don't like jamming and extended solos, move on!
Glenn covers his career, but only touches on most areas. The reality that 11 tracks could cover 30+ years in the business was never going to fly.
Included are tracks from recent solo works (Can't Stop The Flood & Higher Places and Written All Over Your Face), plus songs from his first band Trapeze (Seafull and Medusa), plus Hughes/Thrall (First Step Of Love) and Deep Purple (Mistreated, Getting Tighter and You Keep On Movin').
The Healer is a bonus studio track which is a laid back acoustic driven track. It's a nice soft Hughes track which sees him in a relaxed mode.
As for the accompanying DVD release – the sound is available in both stereo and a 5.1 surround mix. I'm happy to report that both sound fabulous and the performance is as I have said, bang on.
Bu the picture quality of this release is dreadful. The are 3 or 4 cameras in action, so the footage and angles are varied, but none of the footage is clear and viewable on a regular basis.
The footage is so dark in places that it's hard to make out who the camera is even focusing on and elsewhere the picture is blurred and muddy. The setting and location is not a problem, I'd watch Hughes from the moon if need be, but in this instance, the quality is really not up to standard.
The Bottom Line
Both CD release comes highly recommended for long time Hughes fans. This is one of the finest examples of loose, free-flowing 70's hard rock and the voice alone is why we are buying this – but the performance by all is something to behold. A great – if not short – summary of a fabulous career.
Previously Reviewed
· Addiction
· The Way It Is
· Incense And Peaches
· R.O.C.K
· Building The Machine
· HTP
· HTP 2
· Songs In The Key Of Rock

Line Up
· Glenn Hughes: Vocals, Bass
· JJ Marsh, George Nastos: Guitar
· Chad Smith: Drums
· Ed Roth: Keyboards

Essential for fans of:
· Glenn Hughes
· Trapeze, Deep Purple

Track Listing
· Can't Stop The Flood*
· Higher Places
· Written All Over Your Face*
· Medusa
· Wherever You Go
· Seafull
· Coast To Coast
· First Step Of Love*
· Mistreated*
· Gettin' Tighter*
· You Keep On Moving
· The Healer (bonus studio track)
--*Best Tracks
Old Aug-27-2004, 11:24 PM

Finland

...and I have to add that sound and pics are out of synch on some parts of DVD...which is really sad. Glenn deserves better!

I love the music on this release, but the product itself isn't the best possible. Give us a proper Glenn Hughes live show!

T
Old Sep-02-2004, 8:25 PM

China

I take it these reviews are of advance copies of the DVD? Are these the same as the finished product that will be in the shops? If so, i think it will be a huge shot in the foot for Glenn Hughes. I hope these flaws are rectified before the DVD hits the shops.
Old Sep-03-2004, 8:30 AM

USA

Here's a brief review, this time of the double-CD release....from the upcoming issue of All Access Magazine which is out next week.

SOULFULLY LIVE IN THE CITY OF ANGELS | Glenn Hughes
Frontier Records 2004

Glenn Hughes has been heralded as "The Voice Of Rock". On his long awaited double CD set, 'SOULFULLY LIVE IN THE CITY OF ANGELS' (which is also available on DVD), Glenn Hughes proves that ten fold.

Recorded live in front of a studio audience in Los Angeles, along with his band, guitarists, J.J. Marsh and George Natos, Ed Roth on keyboards and Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith on drums. While Glenn handles the groove and thunder on the bass. Proving backing vocals is Alex Ligertwood(Santana) and Kevin Dubrow (Quiet Riot). The double CD set is packed with some of the best songs from Glenn's catalog, past and present.

CD 1 features; "Can't Stop The Flood", "Higher Places" and the powerful, "Written All Over Your Face" from Glenn's recent studio release, 'Songs In The Key Of Rock". It just gets better folks. CD 2 features; "Coast To Coast", in my opinion one of the finest songs ever written. Then from his Deep Purple phase Glenn serves up, "Mistreated" and finishing off his performance with the powerful, "You "Keep On Moving".

Listening to Glenn Hughes, you listen not only with your ears, but with your heart and soul as well. There is a kind of magic that his voice omits, a euphoric feeling that has a way of touching the listener in ways unimaginable.

This is what awaits you on, 'SOULFULLY LIVE IN THE CITY OF ANGELS'. A definite must have for all Glenn Hughes fans. And essential for all those who love great music. Thanks Glenn.

Atomic Chaser
A - Essential
Old Sep-03-2004, 11:13 AM

UK

'The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return'
Old Sep-03-2004, 3:01 PM

USA

Does anybody else have the DVD and is the video quality really poor? I can't believe Glenn would put out the DVD if it truly was that bad. Whats up!

Drew K.
Old Sep-08-2004, 1:50 AM

Australia

It will be a tough decision to make, but in relation to Glenn's forthcoming dvd, the review so far visually, it's very poor quality. But being a fan, it's difficult not to own your own copy. Because of the negativity it will be interesting to see how his fans will react. I am looking forward
to read the comments

that would be great
Old Sep-10-2004, 8:04 PM

Japan

I have bought a Japanese version of DVD.
I have to say, the video quality is really
poor.I am so disappointed with it.
some part, his voice and his mouth on DVD is not
fit. I think he added some vocal part for the cd. I love Glenn, but I must say it is poor
production.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
2004, album, backing, bass, Chad Smith, Coast to Coast, Deep Purple, drums, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, HTP, Hughes/Thrall, JJ Marsh, keys, Los Angeles, Trapeze, Video