g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar-11-2010, 8:12 AM

Brazil

damn, Black Country sounded so cool, too bad they won't use it. It could still be the Album title right?
It's an unbelievable line-up anyway, so my hopes are really high!

Vinicius_'s Sig:"Turn back the Time and let me in"
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Vinicius_ For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-06-2010, 10:18 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
In case you missed it... an update from producer, Kevin Shirley...

Quote:
I am smack in the middle of finishing the mixes for the debut album of "the-band-formerly-known-as-Black-Country" and running out of time fast!

I have tracked and am finishing this BC(?) material. Glenn Hughes singing in the room with me was extraordinary, as he may be one of the finest vocalists I've ever worked with and I have worked with the best - Steven Tyler, Steve Perry, Lou Gramm, Chris Robinson, Bruce Dickinson, Robert Plant, to name just a few. It's pretty thrilling stuff - very raw, quite basic, and 95% of it is cut live - well, between all their schedules, there just hasn't been time to do much else - but I think that's a positive - it's very cool. Iron Maiden bassist Steve Harris heard some songs and was knoocked out - he said "this is the kind of music that made me want to play in the first place. I'd go out and buy it now....." The band played out at a gig in Riverside, CA for the first time in mid-March, and it's very exciting stuff!

Derek Sherinian, Joe Bonamassa, Jason Bonham and Glenn Hughes
Old Apr-07-2010, 5:25 AM

France

wwaaaouuuuuuhhh... can't wait !!!
Old Apr-11-2010, 9:13 PM

zUKUSA

In case you missed it earlier from Kevin Shirley (producer)...

Quote:
The Debut Album of the Band Formerly Known as "Black Country" is finished!!! Glenn Hughes and Chad Smith from the Chili Peppers came to the studio to hear a playback this evening. They were blown away - Chad even said he was "jealous" of Jason's playing, which is monumental! It's thrilling! ROCK! Hughes is killing it, Bonamassa solos off the charts, Sherinian "honor the virtuosity!" Can you even wait 'til Septmber?

The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-11-2010, 10:30 PM

USA

Originally Posted by David View Post
In case you missed it earlier from Kevin Shirley (producer)...

Quote:
The Debut Album of the Band Formerly Known as "Black Country" is finished!!! Glenn Hughes and Chad Smith from the Chili Peppers came to the studio to hear a playback this evening. They were blown away - Chad even said he was "jealous" of Jason's playing, which is monumental! It's thrilling! ROCK! Hughes is killing it, Bonamassa solos off the charts, Sherinian "honor the virtuosity!" Can you even wait 'til Septmber?

Really looking forward to hearing this new piece of work. All the right elements are there. Yeah baby!
Old Apr-12-2010, 6:05 AM

USA

The latest from Kevin Shirley

From a post today on FaceBook re the new album.

Caveman!
The Debut Album of the Band Formerly Known as "Black Country" is finished!!! Glenn Hughes and Chad Smith from the Chili Peppers came to the studio to hear a playback this evening. They were blown away - Chad even said he was "jealous" of Jason's playing, which is monumental!. It's thrilling! ROCK! Hughes is killing it, Bonamassa solos off the charts, Sherinian "honor the virtuosity!" Can you even wait 'til Septmber?

Album of the year???
I can't wait that long!
Rick
Old Apr-12-2010, 7:30 AM

zUKUSA

...and from Glenn this morning

Quote:
I took Gab and Chad with me last nite to Malibu to hear the finished album. Its a Mindblowin' Rock Extravaganza......

Old Apr-13-2010, 4:21 AM

USA

Every since I heard the line-up I was thinking...these men are going to show em how it's done.
Can't wait
Old Apr-13-2010, 9:38 AM

Sweden

Icon38

Ok Any hints about the NEW name....Dam Black Country was cool
Old Apr-15-2010, 12:50 PM

zUKUSA

Joe B. commented recently on the new band... when talking with VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner...

Quote:
"The band has a name and I won't say it until it's trademarked and on a CD," he said. "The record is done and it'll come out in September. And after that, whatever comes of it is great.

He continued, "People are going, 'Is it gonna tour? Is it gonna tour?' I don't even want to address that because at the end of the day, nobody wants to see a band that made a bad record. So my concentration in the short term is always make the record as good as it can be because there's a lot of expectation."

Joe elaborated on what expectations he felt were out there for the band.

"They expect the sum of its parts and then some," he said. "It's gotta be 'Led Zeppelin I' and Deep Purple 'Burn' and Dream Theater 'Pull Me Under' plus whatever bits I've put into it. So for me, I'm really proud of it. It's an unabashed rock record in the truest sense."

The new supergroup featuring Bonamassa, Hughes, Sherinian and Bonham made a surprise debut appearance during the encore at Bonamassa's March 17th concert at the Riverside Municipal Auditorium in Riverside, California, USA.

Old Apr-15-2010, 5:41 PM

USA

So, for now I guess we should just call it the "Glenn Hughes Mystery Band"
Old Apr-16-2010, 12:49 AM

UK

BCH .....Black Country Heart... just a thought
Old Apr-16-2010, 7:25 AM

USA

I for one am glad to know there will be a name change. Black Country just did not say rock, blues or funk in any way. Whatever the name though, greatness will be attached
Old Apr-23-2010, 9:17 AM

USA

Originally Posted by FCinnella View Post
I for one am glad to know there will be a name change. Black Country just did not say rock, blues or funk in any way. Whatever the name though, greatness will be attached

Well, it looks like greatness has no bearing when the money men get involved.
Quoting Caveman from his FB post today.

Quote:
Black Country looks to have imploded, with a completed album in the can! We set out as friends and lovers of music, to make something special. Then the managers got in...volved... and kept changing their wants, ultimately demanding EVERYTHING! I can't absolve all the musicians - but one I can completely absolve, is the one who actually has a career and has just been voted Best Guitarist in the World - who was 100% open ALL the way. And he doesn't ride on anyone's coattails... Maybe they'll come to their senses.... I'm not holding my breath.

Died on the vine. So Sad.
Rick
Old Apr-23-2010, 9:57 AM

USA

This is really bad news. All of the build up, the excitement and this thing is going to fall apart now!? With the album done nonetheless.

Now we are left to wonder what might have been.

I wish it were really just about the music but very sadly it is not
Old Apr-23-2010, 10:48 AM

USA

Only wounded

Not dead yet. Kev the Caveman is trying to pull it back from the brink.

"OK - I have been urged to amend this - like everything on the internet, things get twisted! I believe there is a salvage operation to rescue survivors from the downed BC plane. I have just had a big conversation with Glenn, who is mortified about the situation, as he has really put his heart and soul into it. I love Glenn. Here's the salvage plan guys - everyone is equal. It's that easy. Cut out the cancer that is anyone greedy, and this thing will rock. Morality rules..... managers try to. I am mad too!!!"

Cooler heads may prevail and egos may take a back seat for art's sake.
Rick
Old Apr-23-2010, 6:56 PM

USA

damm

this is the saddest thing ive heard in a long while
Old Apr-23-2010, 7:23 PM

USA

I dont understand

can someone please tell me what is going on? Glenn has been bragging about the new band and now Im reading some cryptic posts about the name changing? Help me.
Old Apr-23-2010, 11:38 PM

UK

he posted a couple of disheartening things earlier too -

Caveman! and it may never be heard.......
Wed at 10:29pm

Caveman! 1 band + 3 managers = Meltdown!

Mott the Hoople, Them Crooked Vultures, Blind Faith.....

What did you learn in class today, kids?
Yesterday at 6:37am

Caveman! The lunatics are trying to take over the asylum!
Wed at 6:27am Comment Like
Jose, Auggie, Libby and 13 others like this.

Ryan Miller Which lunatics?
Wed at 6:27am

Caveman! The Greedy Ones!
Wed at 6:30am

there is some good news from him though.....

Caveman! I'm the studio with Journey - producing their next album. Despite not rushing, we already have two new tunes in the can!

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Apr-24-2010, 3:35 AM

UK

Concerned ....This could ruin my whole year...so looking forward to this CD

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/hughesbonamassa-supergroup-falls-apart/
Old Apr-24-2010, 6:24 AM

USA

Still hope. Caveman, Glenn and Joe are pulling it back together. Equal split 4 ways so no one's ego gets bruised and no manager feels slighted. Hope for the best
Rick
Old Apr-24-2010, 8:07 AM

UK

Icon34

No no no no! common sence has to prevail, I hope. I am suprised the business end had not been sorted before they even got to the studio.

I must admit, I have always been concerned about who or how this project would be managed and clearly it has not been handled that well , name issues, % of revenue issues no doubt.

I only hope that the issues can be resolved without malice or resentment this project has got legs and could go all the way ,perhaps that's why there is so much at stake right now!!

Hope this project gets to see the light of day with all on board and content with there lot.
Old Apr-25-2010, 6:19 PM

USA

Chickenfoot pulled it off.
Hey Chad, can you lend a helping hand

Ken's Sig:so light a candle in the window.......
i will be coming home tonite
Old Apr-26-2010, 8:54 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Caveman
but one I can completely absolve, is the one who actually has a career

Seems a bit harsh!! Who doesn't have a career??

Originally Posted by Caveman
And he doesn't ride on anyone's coattails

Hmmm, How to win friends!!! I don't know but I think Kevin Shirley needs to think before he slams people! It's nice he's obviously friend with Joe B, but that's a nasty dig at Glenn!
Old Apr-26-2010, 10:35 AM

UK

Agree with you Elberry!

Although we cant be sure it was Glenn that was being spoken about. Very harsh words, particularly as there was/is a chance of the 'project' being resurrected. Mr Shirley also talks as if it is his band and he should be the one in control. I don't know what has happened but it doesn't seem good.

Oh and if he was talking about Glenn, er, Glenn was in one of the biggest selling bands in the world before Joe B was a whippersnapper! So not only is he highly regarded artistically, he has also sold a hell of a lot of records!

Best wishes all,

Paul
Old Apr-26-2010, 12:44 PM

USA

BC

I don't know what happened either, but it looked like it happened overnight.
We all know that Glenn unfortunately is a no-name in the USA.
The Bonamassa link can change this and they know it. So, if glenn's manager was the one who was claiming a bigger piece of the pie he should think twice as Bonamassa is actually selling the records (not only in the states by the way). Thery should also know that now the whole world is watching wether Glenn can pull it off musically, mentally, physically etc. We know he can, but the naysayers of world need to be convinced too.
From an artistic standpoint Glenn definitely deserves the respect, but the music business is not called business for nothing:

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -
-- Hunter S. Thompson
Old Apr-26-2010, 2:30 PM

USA

Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
Agree with you Elberry!

Although we cant be sure it was Glenn that was being spoken about. Very harsh words, particularly as there was/is a chance of the 'project' being resurrected. Mr Shirley also talks as if it is his band and he should be the one in control. I don't know what has happened but it doesn't seem good.

Oh and if he was talking about Glenn, er, Glenn was in one of the biggest selling bands in the world before Joe B was a whippersnapper! So not only is he highly regarded artistically, he has also sold a hell of a lot of records!

Best wishes all,

Paul

I think the Coat-tails comment must've been aimed at Jason Bonham. I personally think he's a great drummer but doors were definitely opened because of his Dad!
Old Apr-27-2010, 12:57 PM

UK

There's an old saying from my rugby playing days (can't compete with Hunter S I am afraid) "what goes on tour stays on tour." Trouble is that blogs, Twitter, FB and the like can change perceptions overnight rightly or wrongly.

Without adding to the speculation, my feeling stays the same as most of you since we first heard the wonderful news. I wanna hear this album as a fan first and foremost. Let us stay positive on the forums and hopefully the natural frustration which can happen in any creative business can be sorted.
The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Keith Thompson For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-27-2010, 5:06 PM

USA

thats right

your exactly right keith
Old Apr-28-2010, 6:53 AM

UK

Icon34

Agree with Keith, a few years ago this would all have been conducted behind closed doors! now we have so much information in sound bite format we never get the whole picture.Venting frustration through this media can be midsleading.

Keith, as PR man guess you feel the whole project could have been, with hindsight, handled better as far as information flow and its accuracy and validity? I also guess this project has growqn organically with a let's see how it goes approach.

Like most people I really want to hear this album and with any luck see them play live. Also, I really want to see Glenn back on the big stage !!!
and in the mainstream album charts... not much to ask for .....

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
1st, 2008, 2010, 2015, album, albums, bands, Black Country, classic rock, cover, debut, foreigner, glenn, glennhughes.com, jason bonham, joe bonamassa, journey, organ, robin2, solo, solo album, tour, track, win