g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Purple Days Talk about shows, setlists, albums, share your memorabilia...past and present.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug-11-2010, 4:27 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,853 Times in 2,722 Posts
Icon27 Phoenix Rising - GT trailer

Gettin' Tighter - The Story of MKIV, Deep Purple film trailer - due out in early 2011

Quote:
Set for release in early 2011, this film trailer is an early glimpse of the BLURAY/DVD that documents Deep Purple's turbulent last year before the band split in 1976.

Exclusive new interviews with Glenn Hughes and founder member Jon Lord that open the lid on the problems that beset the band as they toured around the world: Death, drugs and devastation, which led to their ultimate demise.

Archive footage from the tour includes interviews with Tommy Bolin, David Coverdale and Ian Paice, while rare and previously unreleased concert footage includes performances of Purple classics 'Smoke On The Water', 'Burn' and 'Highway Star'.

Live versions of 'Love Child' and 'You Keep On Moving' from the MKIV line-up's one and only album 'Come Taste The Band' also feature as part of the previously unreleased film 'Deep Purple Rises In Japan' - included in full, within this DVD.

The Following 6 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Aug-11-2010, 2:14 PM

Germany

Thanked 1,385 Times in 791 Posts
Thanks for this post ! Say, David, has anyone nominated you for best informed webmaster on www ? Nooooo ?? Shame !!!
Old Aug-12-2010, 4:32 AM

France

oh my god !!!!

thank you very very much !!!!
Old Aug-12-2010, 2:26 PM

Netherlands

That's good old Mr. Keyboard, Jon Lord, again. Interesting stuff!
Old Aug-12-2010, 2:51 PM

Germany

Willem, I asked DC what he remembers of the trip to Jakarta, that is his reply:

Quote:
"I´ve only heard about the footage, to be honest... no doubt I´ll see it soon... tho´ I´m in no rush to re-live the experience... I believe Indonesian tv filmed the unfortunate event... It took place on the 2nd night of the shows... Not something I care to think back on, to be honest... Before the nightmare, we had an incredibly positive time in Jakarta... Unique... but, then... oh, dear... which included the difficulty we had in actually leaving the country... The authorities back then were brutal to us, to say the least... almost not allowing us to leave... "

Old Aug-15-2010, 5:15 AM

Netherlands

Wow, that's very iteresting Lioness. Getting it first had by DC himself.
David is a very nice guy. I Like him a lot. I also had the change to have a little chat with him on a few occasions. A real gentleman.
Old May-11-2011, 8:00 AM

UK

Pheonix Rising MK4 Bonus material

I will welcome this dvd into my collection.Liked the You Tube CTTB track by track album breakdown with GH & JL. Is Martin Birch interviewed?

Would have been great if David Coverdale had gone on camera ditto Paicey.I am presuming Johnny Bolin & Karen Ulibarri didn't get infront of the camera? Minor quibbles aside,I can't wait!

Regarding the audio the incomplete version of 'Coming Home' could/should have been used somehow. Glazosifo
Old May-20-2011, 3:19 PM

Germany

Got my delivery today Double LP incl. DVD Nice way to start the weekend Sorry neighbours, it might get LOOOOUUUUUD!!!
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
phoenix1x.jpg   phoenix2s.jpg  
Old May-22-2011, 4:24 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,853 Times in 2,722 Posts
Available as digital downloads now too...

www.deeppurple.tv/digital-download-packages
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old May-23-2011, 1:56 AM

Germany

Icon26

I got my delivery on saturday, it is fantastic material, though there is certainly a dark shadow overhelming all to see. I will go on studying that stuff later on.
I don't agree fully with that Lordy tells: "CTTB was an amazing rockalbum with great moments, but it wasn't a real Deep Purple album", so like this he said.
Ok when he's feeling this way he might be right for himself.
And it was a bonehard time for the band, no question!
But: He was the one who builded that bridge between Classik and Rock in the sixties, he is the God of Hammond Organ who accepts no musical limits, his words: "music with Freedom, Joy, Emotion"
And that is really what CTTB is. It might not be a typical Purple album, but i would say it is a sparkling bright DP album.
OK Ritchie was not playing on it, and for me Ritchie Blackmore was and is always my absolutly favorite Guitarist, no question
But : Purpendicular was a fantastic rockalbum, which i played many times,
and i acceptet that new countryvibe, but that one sounded much less like Deep Purple for me.
OK enjoy the summer, and i'm waiting for BCC 2!!
Old May-23-2011, 3:35 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
I don't agree fully with that Lordy tells: "CTTB was an amazing rockalbum with great moments, but it wasn't a real Deep Purple album", so like this he said.
Ok when he's feeling this way he might be right for himself.

Well, don't forget that those Purple fans who grew up with MK2, expected the typical Purple sound with each new album. I can assure you that my face grew quite long when I put that record on the player the first time when it came out. Whatever I had expected from the new line-up - not this funky stuff! I only liked the album more because of the voices of DC and Glenn and not because of the music. It took me a long time to adjust to that. That's why the title is so appropriate - "Come Taste the Band". And the reviews weren't so positive either at that time.
Although CTTB is not among my fav 3 albums, I do like it and I see it with different eyes today.
The real Purple sound however only returned with "Perfect Strangers". And I doubt very much that the reunion would have been so successful if they had carried on in the MK4 style! Apart from that, it's not Gillan's singing style.
So I fully agree to what Lordy said!
Old Mar-27-2017, 2:35 PM

Argentina

awesome *O*

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Share Thread

Tags
1969, 1974, 1975, 1976, 2003, 2011, album, albums, bands, book, california jam, classic rock, Deep Purple, Film, Gettin TIghter, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, history, live versions, organ, press, smoke on the water, tommy bolin, tour, track, Trailer