g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul-22-2003, 5:42 AM

UK

COMPLETELY off topic, but ...

Thin Lizzy and Rainbow Rising are two of the bands at a bike festival I'm off to on Thursday. Do any of you boffins know who's in what??
Old Jul-22-2003, 7:03 AM

USA

Hello Shirl

As far as Thin Lizzy is concerned,I do believe that their current lineup is the guitar team of John Sykes and Scott Gorham along with the rhythm section of Guy Pratt on bass and Michael Lee on drums. Michael played drums for Robert Plant for some time and Guy Pratt has played bass for Pink Floyd for the past few albums and tours. As for Rainbow Rising..got to do some digging there for you!

Yours In The Funk

Bill Redford
Old Jul-22-2003, 9:16 AM

UK

Hi guys,found this....Rainbowrising
Hope this is right one!!!

Cheers...

Pete S.
Old Jul-22-2003, 9:28 AM

UK

Michael Lee was also the drummer for the Little Angels before Page and Plant (quite the maniac he is on drums too). Guy Pratt later worked with Robert Palmer, and, even closer to home, Whitesnake on the "Restless Heart" album. He played bass on the Jap Coverdale / Page tour too.

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Old Jul-22-2003, 9:42 AM

USA

You got it Pete! Rainbow Rising..billed as the UK's No.1 Rainbow tribute band!

And Thanks for the memory refresher on Guy Pratt,James!!

Yours In The Funk

Bill Redford
Old Jul-22-2003, 11:21 AM

i've seen one month ago lizzy in austria.
this is the line up
john sykes
scott gorham
michael lee
gary liederman ( played bass in one asia album )

here some pics from that good night in innsbruck
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
OffTopic_CompletelyOffTopicbut-1.jpg   OffTopic_CompletelyOffTopicbut-2.jpg  
Old Jul-22-2003, 10:56 PM

UK

Pete, Bill, James, Roberto ...

Thanks for being on the ball, as usual. (that means prompt with your information, Roberto - how are you doing, not spoken to you for a long time?).

Rainbow Rising's gig page says they are the opening band on the Friday, though the festival's info says they're performing on Saturday. Will certainly give them a whirl though not mad on copy bands.

Scott Gorham - wonderful!

Looks like I'm in for a treat.
Old Jul-28-2003, 11:45 AM

UK

How was it Shirl????!!!!

love

TC
Old Jul-29-2003, 11:41 PM

UK

Yes Shirl let's hear the review! And why didn't I go?
Old Jul-30-2003, 3:08 AM

UK

I only went away for a few days and all hell's broken loose on here! Too much information to catch up on now (lunch break - ssshhh!), but ...

Missed Rainbow Rising - they opened the show at 5pm on Friday, whilst I was stuck in mud at the other end of the site (about a mile and a half away) as the heavens had opened good style before we arrived, and unfortunately no-one had prepared the ground! I did hear them, and as I said earlier I'm not really into copy bands and wasn't impressed with the singer's voice (no offence, just where I heard him from). No doubt if I could have actually seen their show I might just have been impressed. Budgie, Stiff Little Fingers, Stranglers all played, and I only got to see the latter from about a mile away (again) and for only a few minutes. Don't even know the line-up (but you'll all correct me there, I'm sure).

Lizzy, on the other hand, were hot(Saturday)... and yes, John does indeed sound very much like Phil . They played EVERYTHING (apart from 'Whiskey...' for some reason, though a few of us kept shouting it out), but two encores later they played 'Black Rose' - awesome! Especially when you're in acres of wet fields, slightly tipsy, with about 50,000 others all cheering for more! Awesome. Do I regret saying no to a Live and Dangerous ticket all those years ago? Yes, very much so. John dedicated each and every song to the 'king of rock and roll' and I felt quite emotional. Never saw or met Phil, but I did meet his mum about seven years ago in Lancashire - wonderful lady). Gary Leiderman was on bass, but I'm sure John didn't introduce Michael Lee on drums. Enlighten me, someone. Not sure if they did a meet and greet later, as I went off to watch/bop to Climax Blues Band about 1am. Nice to say I'd seen them, but not my cup of tea.

I did my goddamned best to speak to the promoters/MC club about Glenn for 2004 but did not get very far at all, mostly because the few back patches I spoke to were from the German faction, and not understanding what I was trying to find out about (or so it seemed). Good club though, who do a great show each year. Perhaps Mark has made much better, first-hand contact via my emails to Fedor???

I have www.glennhughes.com logo on the back window of my car (an inch high) and ghpg.net bumper sticker, and I was so happy when various people picked up on them both, and asked me about the sites. I took down 'Hughes/Thrall' and 'Different Stages' (to give all within hearing distance a taster of old and new) to play quite loudly on my CD player. One of my girlfriends thought his voice was wonderful on the DS CD, and I've now copied it for her. Word of mouth can have wonderful results! I also wore a GH picture gallery tee-shirt on Friday evening (ghpg.net on the front) and again, I was asked questions like 'is that the guy who was in Purple?' and of course, once I started I couldn't stop, much to the frustration of my daughters who were trying to get me to move on (to the beer tent - we were drowned!).

A great weekend, but the mud was everywhere. It's never rained in all the years I've attended the show, but of course there's always a first time (and it IS England).

Not one of your finer reviews, but from the heart.

Old Jul-30-2003, 11:00 AM

Finland

Shirl!
Thanks for very heart warming review!!! (I don't know if I can say like that in English, but I hope you know what I mean)

Br,
T
Old Jul-30-2003, 1:38 PM

USA

Great report Shirl, but are you sure that it was a concert? Sounds like you went to a luxury spa for the restorative waters and mud baths!!!!!!

I think that your tactics during the "concert run-through" as a publicity agent for Glenn's UK tour, was a big success!!!! Great job!!!!!
Old Jul-30-2003, 10:26 PM

UK

Just realised after sending an email to a friend what I said earlier about never having seen Phil. He did of course make a guest appearance at a Gary Moore concert many years ago, when they did 'Out In The Fields.' I was in awe. How could I forget that???

I've rubbed shoulders with so many rock stars I can't even remember who I've met, unwittingly or otherwise!!
Old Jul-31-2003, 12:31 AM

UK

Excellent review Shirl. Interesting to see the Stranglers played - I am a fan of the first album and the melodic La Folie/Euro Female era. I think Jean Jacques is in the line up but not sure about the rest. Hugh Cornwell isn't in it.

Interesting what you say about wearing the merchandise. I personally think that most people respect Glenn and they would warm to him if they knew what we now know. Events like this would seem to be an ideal platform for many people to be amazed -even the dyed in the wool critics. Well done on the networking front despite the obstacles. It can be a thankless task can't it?
Old Jul-31-2003, 12:43 AM

UK

But Glenn is more than worth the effort, Keith, don't you agree?
Old Aug-01-2003, 2:26 AM

UK

its a shame glennhughes.com doesnt sell some form of official merchandise. i know there would be plenty of buyers of SIKTOR shirts etc.

that would make up for the few and far between live dates we get where shirts are available to buy. i cant keep wearing my Addiction shirt forever!

i was lucky enough to see Lizzy on the Thunder and Lightning tour (1982 i think). the whole band were awesome , Brian Downey especially so.
Three encores werent enough. Still one of the top 3 shows ive seen.
Old Aug-01-2003, 11:44 AM

UK

Thanks for the review Shirl! Wish I could've been in 2 places at the same time!!!!!

Lizzy virtually never did 'Whiskey' as they (esp Phil) always resented it as a kind of 'novelty' first hit that set them back as a 'serious' band....

Which makes me glad they still don't play it... sorry!!!!

love

TC

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1982, 2004, addiction, album, albums, bands, bass, drums, events, GHPG.net, glenn, glennhughes.com, guitar, Hughes/Thrall, tour, win