g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov-20-2005, 2:12 PM

USA

Icon33 John Lodge's amazing Trapeze confessional!

Howdy folks! Actually, this is nothing earthshattering - I just wanted to get your attention. Thought I'd share with you a story from my afternoon yesterday.

When I went out to check the mail yesterday morning, I found a flyer hanging on my door advertising a newly-opened Tower Records near me. I happened to be running an errand near the location, so I thought I'd check the place out. They had superb selection, and I found myself with a stack of goodies in no time. As I was checking out, I overheard someone ask about a new Moody Blues album. I thought nothing of it, until I was out in the parking lot checking out the Tower Records tent sale items, and it was announced that the Moody Blues would be arriving momentarily. Well, that piqued my curiosity, to say the least. I phoned my wife, who I'd dropped off at the mall, and gauged her interest. She was absolutely starving for lunch, and a meet-and-greet was sure to be a bit of a wait. So we took off for lunch, then came back to Tower to see if the Moodies were there and if we could still get in on the meet-and-greet. We did, and were in fact the last two people allowed through. When I approached the table, all the guys - Graeme Edge, John Lodge and Justin Hayward - were gracious, and I took the opportunity to tell John Lodge that I not only appreciated his work with the Moody Blues, but I enjoyed his production work with the band Trapeze. He smiled, and when I asked if he has been in contact with Glenn or the other members since then, he enthusiastically replied "Oh yeah! Well, of course we all live in different places. But Glenn lives in LA, and we've seen each other now and again."

So while it's not an incredible story, per se, it was fun to address the subject of Trapeze with John Lodge. Just thought I'd share. If I'd had any notice of the signing, I could have had him sign a Trapeze record. Of course, for all the great selection on hand, Tower had no Trapeze in stock. LOL Oh well.

Cheers...Todd
Old Nov-20-2005, 2:31 PM

USA

cool todd i know a few people here that would have loved to be in your shoes- tower records is a good place your gonna love the selection of good music they always seem to have
Old Nov-20-2005, 3:04 PM

USA

Smile John Lodge's amazing Trapeze confessional

Of course a Trapeze fan would have everything already.....!!!
Old Nov-20-2005, 3:17 PM

USA

Icon32

Originally Posted by chutsler
Of course a Trapeze fan would have everything already.....!!!

YEAH!!...........

Chip
Old Nov-20-2005, 3:17 PM

USA

Icon48

We have a Tower that I already frequent here in town, but this one will be closer. Thus my enthusiasm - that, and it's refreshing to have a new record store OPENING in town for a change!

And of course, being a self-respecting Trapeze fan, I have the albums. But since I didn't know ahead of time, I didn't have my stuff with me. So I wanted to buy another for John Lodge to sign!

Cheers...Todd
Old Nov-20-2005, 4:33 PM

USA

Todd,

Do you ever leave a record store empty handed? (Weren't you the one that nearly needed another suitcase to take home goodies from the LA DVD trip?)

It's always very cool to bring up something to these artists that they may feel the rest of the world has forgotten about.
Old Nov-21-2005, 12:12 AM

USA

Icon33

It's a sad, rare day when I can't find something I like at a record store. How can I leave empty-handed when there's always something out there worth hearing, and which I don't yet have?

Cheers..Todd
Old Nov-21-2005, 6:06 PM

USA

Icon34 Long ago in a little town called Birmingham....

Hey Todd,

That is great news indeed, since I seem to remember reading in the paper some time ago that Tower Records was about to...or had already declared bankruptcy. The nearest music emporium of any size here is Best Buy in Charlottesville about 60 miles away. I have been shopping inline now for the past 5 years or so....makes me miss Slipped Disc Records in Valley Stream NY or the late, great Music Arcade in Carle Place out on Long Island.

And we all must remember that John Lodge and Glenn are all part of that "Brummie Beat"....Pete Frame did a great family tree in his first "Rock Family Trees" book that laid out the whole Birmingham scene from The Move and The Moody Blues all the way up through ELO. Pete Frame lists a Who's Who of all the great Brummie bands of the day and ends the narative with a short take on ELO violinist Mik Kaminski's solo project by saying how he'd go into more detail about them...... "but they ain't Brummies!!"

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Nov-22-2005, 4:58 PM

Austria

Thanks for reminding me of that book, Captain! The real challenge for me was to get it out of the shelf though - two rows of Hardback Edition novels (no I haven't read all of them yet) were blocking the large format music books....
Did you look that family tree up yourself - if you didn't, your memory is astonishing, since all the details you have mentioned are (of course and as ever) absolutely right

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Nov-23-2005, 8:55 PM

USA

Hello Christian,

I recently had to pack my books up since I am moving soon...but I do remember the Brummie tree quite well. Pete Frame listed all the bands who were on the scene back in the day. Best band name; The Vacant Lot!!! I blew half a bottle of beer through my nose when I read that!

If you take the time to read all the little sidebar paragraphs you learn a lot! It was Pete Frame's meticulous research that told me that Glenn had been offered the gig in what was to be ELO and that Pete Mackie was the bassist during Trapeze's short lived quartet phase just before Glenn joined Deep Purple. it was also the first place that I ever read about Clem Clempson auditioning for Deep Purple after Ritchie's departure.

Pete's humor can be a bit caustic as well; witness his comments in the Journey family tree. It might be added that Journey have never had a following in Europe. I am going to nick a few lines form the Book Of Todd, in which Steve Lukather says in his interview with Mister Seely;"In Europe they can't get arrested..Journey who?"

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Nov-24-2005, 3:58 PM

Austria

Icon28

Originally Posted by captmidnite1962
The Vacant Lot!!! I blew half a bottle of beer through my nose when I read that!

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
album, albums, bands, book, Deep Purple, glenn, journey, solo, Trapeze