g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug-08-2009, 9:24 AM

USA

Icon47 Man Overboard from Ian Hunter

Just picked up Hunter's latest solo album, Man Overboard last night. Have already been through it three times, and since it was late and I didn't want to disturb the neighbors ( very LARGE speakers), I went for a spin in my car for an hour at midnight just to listen.
If you buy one CD this Summer, I'd have to say this is the one. Ian Hunter has always been brilliant; and though the voice is noticeably older and raspier this time around, the feel of the music is tremendous.
I know Todd is a fan, and he probably already has this...so would like hearing his take. I consider Hunter the ultimate songwriter of the last 30 years ( I know that's a stretch for most), and this just shows he has not lost his touch. The tune "Arms and Legs" simply blew me away from the get-go.
Old Aug-08-2009, 10:37 AM

USA

Icon33

Frank, I was going to buy the new Ian Hunter at the Record Exchange the other day, but I stumbled upon the remastered 'Slide It In' CD/DVD by Whitesnake, and a Uriah Heep remaster I'd been looking for, and I forgot to pick Hunter up before I left. Glad to hear it's a good one - t's definitely on my shopping list!

Cheers....Todd
Old Aug-09-2009, 12:53 AM

UK

Thanks for the feedback, Frank. Mott the Hoople are doing six dates in London and I am guessing more to follow over the pond. I co-present a rock radio show now so I will try and get hold of this album on your recommendation.

By the way, it's a busy one for Ralphs as a little bird tells me that Bad Co. will be doing more dates this side of the pond. So it's Mott to Bad. Oh the stresses and strains of rock stardom!
Old Aug-10-2009, 9:50 AM

UK

there is a good interview with Hunter in Classic Rock Summer edition (issue 134).

also a very positive full page review of Man Overboard which gets 8/10 (very good)

if you guys havent read these i can scan and post here. let me know

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Aug-10-2009, 10:15 AM

USA

That would be great Paul.
I have been a huge Hunter fan for what seems like eons (was at the MtH Broadway shows with Queen), and have seen him dozens of times,yet he keeps making me wonder why I am getting older and he isn't The music is just so consistently good (sound familiar ?) and there is something for everyone.
Old Aug-10-2009, 10:37 AM

UK

Here you go Frank.

He also gets his name on the outer spine of the mag along with Blue Cheer, The Godz, Def Leppard, Sisters of Mercy and Ramones
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
Hunter_CR_134001.jpg   Hunter_CR_134002.jpg  

Old Aug-10-2009, 4:42 PM

USA

Todd, what's the verdict on the 'remastered' Slide It In CD/DVD set? I had it in my hands a couple weeks back....it was priced $12.99....but I put it back to buy something else. Did I goof?
Old Aug-10-2009, 8:16 PM

USA

Icon32

It depends Chuck....what that 'something else' was that you bought

I don't have the Slide It In release yet, but the bonus material seems to be a mish-mash of a lot of stuff not from that era. I plan on getting it anyway someday, since I've never heard the UK version.

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Aug-11-2009, 7:08 AM

USA

Originally Posted by wolfysmith View Post
Here you go Frank.

He also gets his name on the outer spine of the mag along with Blue Cheer, The Godz, Def Leppard, Sisters of Mercy and Ramones

The Godz.
Haven't heard that name in a loooong time. Saw them open for Angel in the early 80s (or late 70s, the years from about 70-82 are kind of blurry). Thought they should have been a bigger act, but I thought that about Angel too...
Thanks for the scan Paul. Good interview and review. The album is at least worthy of the "8" rating.
Old Aug-12-2009, 8:30 AM

USA

I had to post this poster I found online today.
The signifigance is that I had the concession stand at the Theater, and this is where I first saw Kiss and, as you can see, some pretty incredible bands. The Slade show included ZZ Top, and J.Geils had PFM as a guest. SOme of the shows got moved to the Boardwalk, since the SUnshine was small and dumpy, but just a cool place.
Hope I do this right.
Click image for larger version

Name:	p-mth-73-asbury.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	4006
Old Aug-12-2009, 9:05 AM

USA

Icon33

Chutsler, you ought to have picked it up. It's a nice package. But that's a minor goof. You should still be able to find the set. There ARE a couple people who made bigger goofs - me for paying double what you found it for, and the record label for dropping the ball on a couple things.

Like Chip said, the bonus material is a hodge podge of material spanning several eras of the band. Disc 1 contains the entire US version of 'Slide It In', a b-side, and then most of the UK version of the album - for whatever reason the original version of "Love Ain't No Stranger" has been ommitted and replaced with its live acoustic counterpart from the 'Starkers in Tokyo' album. The bonus DVD contains several promo videos from 'Slide It In', a live clip from Donington, one from Top of the Pops, plus a live version from the recent Whitesnake DVD which features the current band. They could have included a bunch of stuff from the era, not flashed forward to the later version of the band. What about Rock in Rio? What about performances recorded live in Germany for Rockpalast or similar shows? What about interviews from the era? I should also mention the booklet containing liner notes from DC, and some nice photos from the era, including the other unused photos shot for the cover.

The sound is great. Very crisp. Cozy's drums sound stellar, and the mix overall is given a nice, bright polish and depth.

Cheers...Todd
Old Aug-12-2009, 11:46 PM

UK

if you want to hear an instrumental version of Slide It In then head over to Mel's Myspace page

Old Aug-13-2009, 7:52 AM

USA

Originally Posted by wolfysmith View Post
if you want to hear an instrumental version of Slide It In then head over to Mel's Myspace page

And it is quite a wonderful version !!!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
album, bands, classic rock, cover, drums, London, MySpace, solo, solo album, uriah heep, Video