g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May-15-2008, 11:55 AM

Sweden

Icon47 My review of the album F.U.N.K.

After one listening of this album i was stuck, i can't stop playing the album as Glenn said before the realese " This album is very addictive " and yes he was telling the truth, Glenn keeps makin´ music in a way that can't be done by other artist and don't forget the band behind Glenn Hughes music , Chad , Luis , George, J.J , Anders and Ed plays like super stars.

My summary of F.u.n.k. track by track.
-------------------------

01 - Crave , a typical concert opener in the vain of Songs in the key of rock album

02 - F.U.N.K , The title track of the album , very groovie , chad is playing like never before

03 - Satellite , This song sounds almost like it came out of the album Feel with a touch of the Play Me Out album

04 - Love Communion , If i would describe Glenn with one song i would pick this song for sure , suprisley this song had a guitar solo even though the music video did not have it but both versions are great.

05 - We Shall Be Free , This song has a Tommy Bolin feel in to it and a mid tempo funky RHCP touch .

06 - Imperfection , Reminds me of the album Incense & Peaches , a great song one of my favorite ballad songs from f.u.n.k.

07 - Never Say Never , This is one is my favorite funky tune from this album , very cool groove , music for the divine feat The way it is

08 - We Go To War , classic glenn hughes funk tune with a touch of everything from his music carrier

09 - Oil and Water , One of the harder rock songs from this album maybe something in the vain of Addiction

10 - Too late to Save the World, Another favorite tune, reminds me of the song Don't let me bleed

11 - Where There´s a Will , this song is very smooth and got a lot of soul in to it , a touch of Trapeze - High flyers

-------------------------------------------------------------

This album has really everthing that Glenn Hughes reprisent as a musician lot of funk , rock , soul and a lot of Glenn

keep on the good work big Papa

9/10 stars
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to rainbow301 For This Useful Post:
Old May-15-2008, 2:49 PM

UK

Hi all

Gave myself some time to listen to the album before commenting. Before i knew it i must have listened to the album at least twenty times. REALLY FUNKING enjoying this album

Must be a grooving album as i have been listening to it a lot on my ipod and dancing and singing. And let me tell you my singing, let alone my dancing is awful

Highlights and standout moments. Well quite a lot. Cant really call them that then can you.

Crave-great album opener and within this one song you get a summary of what to expect. Funky funk, low down rock, pop and soul, with a bit of prog thrown in.

Funkky F.U.N.K. with those horny horns.

Satellite with that dreamy bass and smooth vocals. Just lie back and gaze into space and listen to a master at work

The lovefest love communion

We will be free to get groovy follows. This is the song that i dance and bop like Austin Powers to the most. One of my favourites on the cd. Trapeze meets Bolin era DP meets play me out.

Imperfection. Never has a song been SO COMPLETELY wrongly titled. This is one of the most beautiful songs that Glenn has written. PERFECTION

Never Say Never is the only song i struggle to like, and that is only because of the frantic chorus. I try to like the chorus as much as like the rest of the song but i dont know what it is about the chorus, it just doesnt work for me. Love the bit after the guitar solo where Glenn spits out 'The bass dont lie' in the strange voice.

We Go To War. Dark Star's distant close but near relative!!

Oil and Water. JJ is back. This is a great song, reminds me of Let It Go as it goes from the gentle acoustic driven to full out heavy riffing. Glenn goes turbocharged in the chorus. If Glenn made a complete album in this vein my brains would be bleeding after listening to it. Love this track.

Too Late.. is along with, We shall be free and, imperfection probably my favourite tracks, although if you ask me next week that might have changed. EPIC. Again Glenn brilliantly in one song manages to add all the musical flavours and spices to create for us a brilliant dish. Another beauty to sing along [badly] to!

Then of course there is where there's a will, yet another masterclass in soulfull dreamy classy beautiful songwriting.

In summary, a fantastic album from Glenn

You can tell that Glenn is in his element with this album, you can FEEL the fun[k] that he has had making it.

My favourite vocalist, has never sounded so good across all the spectrum of styles of music. From the jazzy soulful to the all out rock, Glenn is singing superbly.

Bass is to up front for me at the expense of the guitars just a little bit at times but that is probably nitpicking.

Love the keyboards, horns, and strings.

Chad is great also, and of course Glenns bass work is good.

In summary this is a funky, soulful, jazzy, rocky, pop masterclass and i dont think that any other artist would have been able to make an album this good incorporating all these styles of music.

I'm just gutted i wont be able to see you on the road live this time. Have missed you the last couple of times Glenn
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Paul J For This Useful Post:
Old May-16-2008, 9:16 AM

Sweden

Never say never is as Glenn as Glenn can get.

The whole album is great. Hopefully the word spreads and the album sales
Old May-16-2008, 5:32 PM

USA

I think the whole album is kick arse like Glenn always is
Old May-17-2008, 2:40 AM

UK

It's superb. The horns and fender rhodes fit in perfectly. Album of the year without question.
Old May-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Germany

Icon32

F.U.N.K. is a very,very good album . " We shall be free " is my favorite .

Avalon51's Sig: I know that I've been sometimes wrong
I feel my faith is growing strong
There is a place that I belong
These are the days of avalon

Old May-19-2008, 2:39 PM

Germany

I received the CD on May 9th and I don't listen to anything else since then. A really great album. In my eyes it's the perfect crossover of Funk, Soul and Rock.

I had the luck to hear/see Glenn performing the material on his F.U.N.K.-Tour last week and the songs are live as great as on CD.
Old May-20-2008, 4:06 AM

UK

My copy arrived throught the door yesterday. I'm playing it for the 12th time. Very addictive and instant appeal with this album. Glenn's vocals are not only up to their usual brilliance but seem to be just that little bit better with a large blob of soul. Good range of tracks, with plenty of the promised funk. Sounds like, Feel, Play Me Out and Trapeze rolled into one and brought up-to-date.
Old May-20-2008, 6:04 AM

USA

The album just gets better the more I listen to it. I hear something new every time I put it on.

In fact, I heard something new this morning right after We Go to War that I had not noticed before.... I have to say, though - that I am glad my son was not with me when I noticed it...not ready for that conversation

So - who is the one with "one little" ummmm issue?

(For those who have no clue what I am talking about...there is a bit of a crude comment someone makes at the end of track 8 - you have to turn it up to hear it.). So was that left on the cd intentionally? LOL
Old May-20-2008, 6:09 AM

USA

Susan,

It sounds like Glenn to me. It surely was left in there on purpose.
It was likely one of those things that happened in the moment and he decided to leave it on there. I'm guessing that they really had it cooking so to speak playing wise and the said comment was in reference to that.

I noticed it after a listen or two. I was wondering when it would be brought up.
Old May-20-2008, 6:22 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Susan,

It sounds like Glenn to me. It surely was left in there on purpose.
It was likely one of those things that happened in the moment and he decided to leave it on there. I'm guessing that they really had it cooking so to speak playing wise and the said comment was in reference to that.

I noticed it after a listen or two. I was wondering when it would be brought up.

Oh..I know...I was just being funny. Actually...I was guessing it sounded like Chad saying it...didn't hear an accent.
Old May-20-2008, 7:33 AM

USA

If you listen to the yelling thing after Freedom on TWII, that is the voice I'm hearing. He doesn't have that much of an accent on certain words.

Probably all these years spent here.
Old May-20-2008, 9:22 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasSusan View Post
(For those who have no clue what I am talking about...there is a bit of a crude comment someone makes at the end of track 8 - you have to turn it up to hear it.). So was that left on the cd intentionally? LOL

That would be Chad and yes, it's on there intentionally.....artistic expression and all that, don't you know
Old May-20-2008, 9:29 AM

UK

What's crude about "I have one little bonus" ?

Ben's Sig:

Cheers,
Ben !!
Old May-20-2008, 9:54 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Ben View Post
What's crude about "I have one little bonus" ?

The "little" part
Old May-20-2008, 11:07 AM

USA

So you were right Susan! Good ear there!
Old May-20-2008, 2:58 PM

USA

FUNK just arrived here! Track 3 so far. Diggin' what i'm hearing!
Old May-21-2008, 10:00 AM

Sweden

Icon38 OK HERE WE GO

Ok Funk is here... Glenn is the Funk,I love it.The new sound its cristal clear.The best tracks

1 OIL AND Water
2 SATELLITE
3 CRAVE
4 NEVER SAY NEVER
Thats my top 4 songs.

I hard too rank a GH album but my top 3 is.
Funk
Addition
From now on.

BYE /gribban...... What is your fav....
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to gribban For This Useful Post:
Old May-21-2008, 10:11 AM

UK

It's hard to choose but Crave is my favourite. FUNK deserves to be massive for Glenn.
Old May-24-2008, 9:50 PM

USA

FUNK on the road..

I got my copy of FUNK on Tuesday..was going to wait and premiere on my drive down to Virginia the next morning...but a traffic jam on the Van Wyck Expressway (a misnomer if ever there was one!) made me give Glenn's new CD a spin while I sat in traffic....

First impressions; Luis Maldonado plays some fabulous guitar throughout.....Chad is rock solid as ever...Ed and Anders lay down some heavenly keyboard work and Glenn just blows you away with the various flavors he cooks up.

I will dispense with the track by track analysis and just say that the first six tracks knocked me out from the first listen..and after a few more listens on the road the others followed suit!

One prime moment for me during "Love Communion".....Glenn singing against the muted trumpet and then Luis sends the mood into orbit with a killer solo.

I am just scratching the surface here..more listens will reveal more treasures! I missed Chad's "little bonus" ad lib though; listening in the car means that the road noise drowned him out! That sounds like a definite headphone moment!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to captmidnite1962 For This Useful Post:
Old May-28-2008, 11:14 AM

USA

So where are all of the reviews?? I know that there are many on here who have this record by now. I'm surprised by how little has been posted here.

This is a great record. One I would like to see catch on with people. But it's really up to us GHCP to get the buzz going!
Old May-28-2008, 12:27 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
Don't knock folks too hard Forever Young Not everyone has to post here to express their opinion, although it would be nice if they did

Found this glowing review over at Amazon the other day, that really can't be beat

Meantime, I'm sure others will come along and add their comments in the coming weeks - not every market is going to have it day one.
Old May-28-2008, 12:55 PM

USA

Oh no worries David. I hope I didn't come off like that! I was just hoping to see more I guess. I'm sure some need to or like to digest it more before they do a review.
Old May-29-2008, 11:14 AM

USA

I've been listening to F.U.N.K since its arrival on Friday and I must say it is one of Glenn's strongest and most consistent efforts. "Love Communion" is the strongest track for me with "Satellite", "F.U.N.K" and "Oil & Water" closely behind. "Crave" is a decent song but I am not as keen on it as an opener as others on this forum.

I won't go into a complete track by track analysis but this is a superb follow-up to both Soul Mover and Music for the Divine. Glenn has been on quite a solo run since the excellent Building the Machine.

Luis' guitar-playing is a revelation and brings out a real driving groove for Glenn and Chad's drumming is as solid as ever. The keyboards from Anders and Ed are the perfect complement to the songs and the vibes.
Old May-30-2008, 9:27 AM

USA

Icon21 Problem in the kitchen?

OK, first let me say that I think that any of us GHCPs have a lot of nerve
reviewing a new Glenn Hughes album.
(I'll be reviewing the Sistine Chapel ceiling a bit later on.)

So I finally got my copy of the new CD "F.U.N.K."
And here's the problem..........where's the funk?
I couldn't seem to find any.
Or at least not too much, anyway.

Maybe it's a problem that I have with a definition of what exactly funk is.
Whenever Glenn says funk, I find myself thinking of him wearing an Afro,
an orange polyester jumpsuit, (with the possible addition of a James Brown cape)
and a line-up of back-up singers doing some fancy footwork while singing.

So prooving conclusively that I'm no professional musician,
and probably risking getting thrown off the board for having an attitude,
here's my opinion of each song on the new CD:

#1. Crave ~ This opening track is "the pure Glenn Hughes sound."
What's that, you ask? I can only compare this song to driving a car that has
standard transmission, as in changing gears - fast. Or to put it another way.....
as having strut-your-stuff shouted lyrics, intersperced with all of the Hughes
Quintuplets singing great background harmony.

#2. First Underground Nuclear Kitchen ~ Despite the (Earth, Wind and Fire ?)
snappy trumpet touches, this song is rock and roll.

#3. Satellite ~ This song was written by the same guy who wrote "Coast to Coast."
Oh, what a surprise! Add my name to the petition that Glenn should sing this beautiful
ballad live, while on tour.

#4. Love Communion ~ Thanks to the steady background beat, and ignoring the "smooth
jazz" muted trumpet sounds, this track manages to come close, to my definition of funk.

#5. We Shall Be Free ~ Despite the heavy-sounding opening (think of Godzilla trying
to dance a two-step) Glenn gives this song a uniquely distinctive sound, by adding touches
of his brand of brilliant "vocal lace."

#6. Imperfection ~ This track belongs on the CD titled:
"Glenn Hughes ~ The Voice of Beautiful Ballads."

#7. Never Say Never ~ Soulmover's drumbeat, and Glenn's bass give this song its backbone,
but Glenn's echo-chamber vocals (with a touch of outer space sound effects) make this a standout.

#8. We Go 2 War ~ OK, this one has a funky guitar sound. But with Glenn harmonizing with Glenn,
makes this sound (at least to me) as 50% smooth jazz.

#9. Oil and Water ~ This baby would nicely fit on "Fused."

#10. Too Late to Save the World ~ This song was written by the same guy who wrote
the sometimes gentle, sometimes ferocious, "Frail."

#11. Where there's a Will ~ An un-released track that could have been on "Incense and Peaches"
where Glenn ignores all music category labels, and ends this CD as it began, with the slow version
of another example of the pure Glenn Hughes sound.

Yep, our boy is the music.
This "audience" loves this new CD.

Old May-30-2008, 9:55 AM

USA

Excellent review Grace!

Kind of captures it all.
Old May-30-2008, 10:03 AM

USA

What?
You agree with me?

I expected that between mentioning vocal lace, orange polyester,
and a dancing Godzilla (complicated musical terms, as you know)
I would get into big trouble for this review.
But that's the way this great CD sounded to me.

And thanks for your compliment, sir.
Your name will now be removed from, uhhhh......"the list."

Old May-30-2008, 12:07 PM

UK

Hey Grace

Like the review

Where's all that New Jersey Axe Murderer attitude gone

Suppose that's what happens when you listen to the beauty of Imperfection and Where There's A Will

Paul
Old May-31-2008, 9:21 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
Where's all that New Jersey Axe Murderer attitude gone

You better watch your step, HUNNY,
or your name will be added to "the list."

( )

PS.......With you mentioning ~"Where there's a Will"
the more that I listen to this song, I think that it belongs not on
"Incense and Peaches" (as stated above) but on "The Work Tapes."
It's got such an "easy-going, gentle, quality" to it, don't you think?

Old May-31-2008, 12:37 PM

UK

Hey Grace.

It would be an honour to be on your list

Dreamy is how i describe Imperfection and Where There's A Will.
Just absolutely fantastic songs.

Paul

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
1978, 1990, 1st, 2000, 2008, addiction, album, albums, backing, bass, brazil, Chad Smith, classic rock, Coast to Coast, cover, David, Deep Purple, drums, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, glenn_hughes, guitar, history, HTP, Hughes/Thrall, Jeff Kollman, JJ Marsh, keys, MySpace, press, solo, soul mover, styles, tickets, tommy bolin, tour, track, Trapeze, Video, win