g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr-26-2008, 10:10 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,853 Times in 2,722 Posts
Icon47 First Underground Nuclear Kitchen

The first of the reviews are starting to trickle in....here are the first I've come across so far.

Quote:
HardRockHouse.com

Glenn Hughes
First Underground Nuclear Kitchen
Frontiers Records

Rating - 9/10

Review: Dean Pedley

For a career renaissance since the turn of the century that can be truly applauded it is that of Glenn Hughes. Long gone are his numerous appearances on dodgy tribute albums to the likes of Queen, Aerosmith and Nazareth and Glenn's time is now thankfully devoted to doing what he does best. And in the case of First Underground Nuclear Kitchen that is most definitely a case of top drawer FUNK rock with some heavenly bass playing and divine vocals. Up-tempo opener 'Crave' picks up where last album, Music for the Divine, left off with the rhythm section of Hughes and long-time collaborator Chad Smith getting straight into the groove. The infectious, and instantly accessible, title track finds Hughes trading licks with guitarist Luis Maldonado with an injection of horn samples keeping up the vibe. Another early highlight is 'Love Communion' with the inspirational bass playing leading the way and the soaring vocal marking this out as a real high point in an album packed full of gems.

Sitting amidst all of this are the two ballads, the laid back smooch of 'Satellite' and the jazzy 'Imperfection', that allow a moment of reflection. But these are really no more than lightweight interludes when compared what can be found elsewhere. Hughes clearly still has something to say about the current state of the world and delivers a one-two knockout blow with the hard-hitting 'We Go To War' and 'Oil And Water' and the emphasis here is taking him back to the year 2000 and Return Of The Crystal Karma (or R.O.C.K.). The mood is carried through to the end of the album with the poignant 'Too Late To Save The World', where the band stretch the song out to more than six minutes with The Voice of Rock still as strong as ever.

You can't really call this a return to form for Hughes as he has been on something of a roll for some time now. What F.U.N.K. does achieve is exactly what it says on the box and much of the material here will be well suited to the explosive live shows due to follow over the next few months.

First Underground Nuclear Kitchen is released on May 12th via Frontiers.

http://www.hardrockhouse.com/NewReleases/
Old Apr-26-2008, 10:13 AM

USA

FUNK - new album

Gave the new album a couple of spins today,

people who were not blown away by the short snippets placed online can rest assured.....it is an excellent album

and is that an ECHOPLEX effect on some of the songs??? yeehaaaw!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Ad For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-26-2008, 10:20 AM

zUKUSA

Quote:
All Out Guitar Magazine
Review: Rory Sullivan

Glenn Hughes
First Underground Nuclear Kitchen

4-1/2 / 5

One need look no further than Glenn Hughes’ long and illustrious career, to know that the man is not only a legend but totally committed to rocking that funky house down at every opportunity.

On his latest solo outing ‘First Underground Nuclear Kitchen’ (that’s of course F U N K for short), The Voice of Rock continues to impress with a solid collection of considered funk rock soul pop. The musicianship is as expected, first rate; Chili Pepper Chad Smith is again on percussion and guitar duties are mainly covered by Luis Maldonado, but also JJ Marsh and George Nastos help out.

OVERVIEW!

Standout tracks are opener ‘Crave’, with a funk grove reminiscent of Stevie Salas and vocals verging on Bon Scott territory – interesting stuff indeed! Title track ‘FUNK’ continues in fine funk fashion that would definitely please fans of George Clinton. The single ‘Love Communication’ is fantastic and is smothered in all of Hughes’ funk and soul inspirations, as is the whole of FUNK. ‘We Shall Be Free’ has a Chili Peppers groove whilst as soulful as Marvin Gaye. ‘Never Say Never’ hints of Aerosmith and ‘Oil And Water’ gets heavy in the riff department. Closer ‘Where There’s A Will’ is all soul, very smooth and deliciously produced.

CONCLUSION

FUNK is an album that will definitely please his oldest fans and if given the right opportunity, could bring in a whole new audience just like KLF did in the early 90’s.

http://www.alloutguitar.com/review/
Old Apr-26-2008, 10:28 AM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by Ad View Post
and is that an ECHOPLEX effect on some of the songs??? yeehaaaw!

Yes indeed Ad, Luis is a magician by all accounts very reminiscent of Tommy.
Old Apr-26-2008, 10:51 AM

France

We had the chance to get a promo copy. Jerome did a review on his GH France blog.
Sorry, it's in French, I'll translate it for you tomorrow

http://ghfrance.blogspot.com/2008/04/f-u-n-k-la-review.html

In one word : enthusiastic !!!

Harry le chat's Sig:
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Harry le chat For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-26-2008, 11:20 AM

USA

Did I just read a comparison of Hughes to Bon Scott? Never thought I would hear that. Maybe they'll compare him to Lemmy next time.

I really like the snippets - so far, sounds like the best work he's done in a long time. But I'll wait until I hear the full songs before I hold myself to that statement!
Old Apr-26-2008, 2:35 PM

UK

A great start! Thanks David. Apart from immaculate voice, and tremendous songwriting particularly in "We Shall be Free" and the understated "Imperfection". I really would like to point to an underrated part of Glenn's package, the bass playing especially on "Satellite" (sorry Thrally but you missed out there). Some of those lines enhance the whole experience for me. It's the definite groove that distinguishes it from SM and M4TD. This sounds like a band especially with Luis's Tommy style guitar I'd even say it's an emotional experience hearing that Echoplex as a big Tommy fan. And Anders! That boy has come into his own. TOTAL understanding of where Glenn is coming from. Chadley is funk on legs. A restrained and professional performance from the big man. I only came on here to say 'Thanks David' but it's all come out. This is a tremendous album and I will do a track by track when some more of us have had a chance to hear it. If I sound gushing it's cos I am. This is one beaut of an album.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Keith Thompson For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-26-2008, 2:57 PM

UK

Icon49

Sweet!

Name right, album title correct, top marks.

Sweet!

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Apr-27-2008, 10:54 AM

France

Originally Posted by Harry le chat View Post
We had the chance to get a promo copy. Jerome did a review on his GH France blog.
Sorry, it's in French, I'll translate it for you tomorrow

http://ghfrance.blogspot.com/2008/04/f-u-n-k-la-review.html

In one word : enthusiastic !!!

Here is the translation. Hope I did not make too many mistakes...It's always easier to translate the other way round (from English to French for me)

The album opener is CRAVE. An incredibly funky track, reminding me of the RHCPs (for sure you can feel Chad Smith’s touch on this track). Glenn’s outstanding voice is even more highlighted by the mix. But what amazes me most is the bass line litteraly leading the members of the band. I can’t remember another album where the bass line is brought forward so efficiently.

As promised by Glenn, the horns enter the stage with FUNK. Still in a very funky inspiration. The horns section takes us to a universe that reminds me of Led Zeppelin’s Trampled Underfoot. We are immediately taken by the groove and can’t help dancing. Maybe my favourite track on the album. It has it all : a groovy guitar line and a bloody great beat.

SATELLITE is the first Motown style ballad of the album. The main thing I noticed on this track is essentially the bass line and the brilliant bass/guitar 'dialogue'. The whole thing being backed up by a very subtle drummer named Chad Smith.

And here is another wild funky track : LOVE COMMUNION and its fabulous horns section. You already heard it and saw the video clip a few days ago. No comment, I’m dancing on the table.

WE SHALL BE FREE (slow tempo heavy funk) gives the opportunity to the Hughes/Smith duet to kill us with their incredible loudness. You have to turn on the volume level to the max to listen to this one, and to appreciate Glenn’s fantastic work on the bass.

Another Motown ballad, IMPERFECTION, allows us to catch our breath. I have to say it one more time : the melodic line sustained by Glenn’s bass is outstanding. Even if the ballad itself is probably breaking a bit the whole album rhythm as we were all doing the Funky Chicken.

But let’s get back to the funk with NEVER SAY NEVER. Once again a heavy funk, maybe a bit less groovy than We shall be free. But the break is incredible and deserves that you press the reepat button.

A Princely guitar opens WE GO TO WAR on a bloody great groovy tempo. You just can’t remain seated and can’t help shaking your booty! The horns are back again and I love it. The guitar line can remind us of Prince but also the great Neil Rogers.

The first guitar notes sounding very 'world music' (a la Jimmy Page) take us to a mystic atmosphere while the 70s hard rock (or funky, I still hesitate; Maybe that’s what they call fusion?) riffs bring us back to reality. WE ARE LISTENING TO ONE OF THE GREATEST GLENN HUGHES ALBUM. This track OIL AND WATER is also one of my favourite on the album.

TOO LATE TO SAVE THE WORLD is the third 'ballad' on the album. And we are immediately taken to another world by the outstanding voice of the great Glenn. Maybe the less funky track on the album but as it comes at the end of the album, it allows us to cool down a bit in a very pleasant way. Great guitar solo, beautiful rhythm section and a touch of Pink Floyd in the atmosphere.

WHERE THERE’S A WILL ends the album.in a very smooth way, on a rather slow tempo in a jazzy Groover Washington Jr atmosphere.

We just can’t believe what Glenn offers us this year.

As he told us before, this album is his funkiest one, between Play Me Out & You Are The Music but don’t expect an album in this style. We are talking about an modern funk album and Glenn must be proud. He is THE funkmeister He proves he is playing in the big league espacially in this category of music. Every track is fantastic. Grab this album as soon as you can, it’s an emergency !

Harry le chat's Sig:
Old Apr-27-2008, 11:18 AM

USA

i'm glad to read all of the good reviews, and having heard the samples, i'm not surprised at all. on a personal note, i have to think what a shame it is for someone to own a music store (15th year), my favorite artist is Glenn Hughes and i don't even get an advance copy to check out. and also, refering back to my previous post of my distributor not even having the release listed in her computer. but i dont want to sound like i'm singeling out glenn's release, record companys dont send me any new releases really and they never have in 15 years. the music business doesnt care about small mom and pop stores, and that's yet another reason why we're dropping like flies and in a few short years, we won't even exist anymore. it's both sad and frustrating to see the way that i've made my living for the last 26 years dissapear, but that's life i guees.
peace to you all,
Old Apr-27-2008, 1:21 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by Harry le chat View Post
Here is the translation. Hope I did not make too many mistakes...It's always easier to translate the other way round (from English to French for me)

Fantastic review Jerome and thanks Nathalie for taking the time to translate, it read perfectly for me

It's time for me to get cracking on mine
Old Apr-27-2008, 4:42 PM

USA

Keep the reviews coming!
and let us know where Mr. Nastos comes in to play.
Less than two weeks and counting
Old Apr-27-2008, 4:55 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by Ken View Post
and let us know where Mr. Nastos comes in to play.

George plays along with Luis on "Never Say Never" and "We Go To War".
Old Apr-28-2008, 1:56 AM

France

good job Gégé !! and thank you for the translate Nath.. sorry but I think i will read this on your french blog !!
Old Apr-30-2008, 7:19 AM

Bulgaria

The album is brilliant, very powerful and "grabbing", and I have to say I like it waaaaay more than Music for the Divine Great work!!!
Old May-01-2008, 10:35 AM

USA

C R A V E

Oh man! I'm really hooked on CRAVE,

This track is the most rocking funkyin' track i heard in a long time.

Throughout the track there is some really in your face hard punching metallic guitar funk giving you a guaranteed funk knock out

shoeshine music, ha!

p.s. Chad has excellent funk driven rock drumming throughout the whole album. The bass never sounded better and the guitarplayers are smoking. The songs are great and really diverse...Glenn's singing is the best ever!
Old May-09-2008, 3:19 AM

UK

Icon49

Kerrang gave it KKKK, and seemed to like it alot! i cannot wait to get mine! Helena, xx

christmas fairy's Sig:
Old May-11-2008, 8:48 AM

Austria

I have given the new album a couple of spins already, so here are my (very) first thoughts:

Prologue...
It's an eyecatcher in the shops.
And the first thing I noticed when I put it in the CD Player was that it has CD-Text, and It's exactly 52 minutes long!

On to the songs...

CRAVE
Once again, a perfect opener. I imagined this being the opener on the tour too, before I even saw the setlist for Norway!

F.U.N.K.
Very catchy heavy Funk Rock. Great brass section.

SATELLITE
What a gem. This sounds like Play Me Out transformed into the 21st century. And I totally love the lyrics, so simple and yet so intense! And the bass break, of course!
Personally I'd have made this track 4 and Love Communion track 3!

LOVE COMMUNION
This is the single - oh, I forgot, it actually is!
Nice Rhodes piano in the middle section, courtesy of Mr. Ed Roth!

WE SHALL BE FREE
Great heavy groove. Other singers would probably have come up with only 2 notes on top of that. Glenn's vocal melody again is superb. This track is uusually long, but never boring.

IMPERFECTION
Another gem. The slide guitar sounds like It's About Time. And when was the last time you could hear an actual synthesizer on one of Glenn's albums?

NEVER SAY NEVER
Don't like it. It just doesn't click with me. Maybe because the riff sounds like it could have been on R.O.C.K., and I don't listen to that album anymore. Or is it a leftover from Music For The Divine? There were far superior tracks on that in the same style!

WE GO 2 WAR
That's one hell of first 3 seconds! And the riff is so much better than the one on Never Say Never. With a 1990s production this could have been on Feel. Great horns, once again.

OIL AND WATER
Unusually heavy compared to the rest of the album.
It's interesting to note that the second half of the album is more similiar in style to Music For The Divine and the first part (We Shall be Free excluded) to Play Me Out.
JJ really shines on multiple guitars here with plenty of effects thrown in!

TOO LATE TO SAVE THE WORLD
My favourite, has been since I heard all the samples. Another great lyric. This has an epic quality, very much like Don't Let Me Bleed.

WHERE THERE'S A WILL
Makes Me Smile. Pun absolutely intended!

concludio...
Overall I think that Glenn now indeed has found the perfect mixture, the recipe being to throw Play Me Out and Music For The Divine together and create something new.
This should be his trademark sound.

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to chrisloeb For This Useful Post:
Old May-11-2008, 2:52 PM

zUKUSA

You can now find another review over at Spanish language site, MetalDreams - if anyone has time to translate, it would be much appreciated

http://www.metaldreams.com/reviews.php?id=558
Old May-11-2008, 6:44 PM

Brazil

Originally Posted by David View Post
http://www.alloutguitar.com/review/

Funk really blew my mind away!!
Great album, just loved it!

Gustavo Martins's Sig:Saravá
Old May-11-2008, 10:44 PM

UK

Originally Posted by David View Post
You can now find another review over at Spanish language site, MetalDreams - if anyone has time to translate, it would be much appreciated

http://www.metaldreams.com/reviews.php?id=558

This is what Google's translation service makes of it - I'm sure one of our Spanish speaking friends will correct it as necessary:

A disc with touches of pure Funk Rock. I think that is something that will come intuía given the trajectory on which had been aimed at their latest releases Glenn Hughes. From the great "Song in the key of Rock", this white magician dark voice ha ido retreating to their personal backgrounds, to the less Funk rocker and more purist. In addition, and if anyone had doubts, the title is significant: "First underground nuclear kitchen" or FUNK

Perhaps songs like "Satellite" are somewhat difficult to accept for his public more rocker, but it is undeniable that the quality treasure, discovers that the nuances in the voice of Glenn Hughes and the impressive work of drums and anything under that you have a little passion for music in your heart, you arrive until tuétano. The big loser of the disc is guitar, but when it enters an artist in Funk, but gained predominance bass, drums (continuous partner with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Chad Smith) and choirs open to the detriment of the parties guitar arriving at some time to be a mere instrument accompanist, which is why it will be difficult for this album is no header aguerrido Metal fan, but if you are a person open-minded, able to assimilate the music as an art and you like besides Glenn Hughes , It would be impossible not to marvel as a voice which is heard in "We shall be free" in the purest style of James Brown "Get on the good foot" or "Hell".

Funk pure voice with the more classic Hughes in "We go to war," experimentation "Never say never" with a very Queen / Bowie, the sticky "Love communion"… the record is varied enough to hook anyone . The best part rocker hardly appears at the end of this work, just emerges when JJ Marsh enters into a preciousness entitled "Oil and water" with the voice of Hughes broke down into a thousand pieces and colors, and "Too late to save the World" by style perfectly could have entered into "Music for the Divine".

"First underground nuclear kitchen" is probably the most personal album of Glenn Hughes in recent years, and we will not deny that it has the right to do what it's up to you with his music, and even less if even away from that part rocker that we like, what makes discs with the quality of this FUNK Give it a chance you do not disappoint.

Ben's Sig:

Cheers,
Ben !!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Ben For This Useful Post:
Old May-12-2008, 6:48 PM

USA

Alright I've had this thing for two days now and I've got to say it is a monster!

An absolutely brilliant job Glenn!!

It's better than I even imagined it being. For me it kind of takes me to a different place and time. All of the elements are there. The production is great as well. I think it's as good a sounding record as I've heard in some time, even from Glenn.

In short I'm loving it! I will post a full review after some more time with it. But I think this is THE one.

Awesome job!!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Forever Young For This Useful Post:
Old May-13-2008, 4:38 AM

UK

Icon34 Funking great

Got my copy yesterday at the local HMV store and it was the last one they had in stock , so that is a good sign

After a few listens in the car, this is one hell of an awesome piece of music and must rank as one of Glenns very best albums. There is not a weak track on the album and the whole album hangs together perfectly as one track flows into another.

What really stands out to me is the driving funky rhythm section of Glenn and Chad. We all know what a great singer Glenn is but what we often overlook his bass playing and this album more than any other shows what a great bass player Glenn is.

Congratulations also to Luis Maldonado, his playing is pretty awesome and i am really looking forward to hearing him on tour.

Thanks Glenn for your music and your desire to constantly push your self into new directions creating vibrant brave new music. Some of the fans of your classic rock may not take to this easily, however, no one else in the world of rock could produce such a wonderful fusion of Funk, Rock, and Soul.

The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to IAIN For This Useful Post:
Old May-13-2008, 10:18 AM

Austria

Originally Posted by IAIN View Post
...this album more than any other shows what a great bass player Glenn is.

YES, ABSOLUTELY!
Thanks for bringing that up, Iain!
Completely forgot to mention it in my review...
Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old May-13-2008, 11:33 AM

USA

I totally concur with the bass playing! It is very out in front and I hear something new with each listen.

When I saw him at BB King's last year I was just blown away by how cool his bass playing was. I remember thinking and saying that it never for whatever reason carried over to his studio work. It always seemed a bit understated if that's the right description.

One listen to this record and I hear the bass player I saw in NYC. Just taking the whole thing to another level.

This is a very well put together piece of music
Old May-13-2008, 3:49 PM

USA

heavy heavy funky bass

i totally agree the bass really stands out beautifuly on this cd - i wish the bass part in the middle of SATELLITE was longer -FUNK -WE SHALL BE FREE-NEVER SAY NEVER- WE GO TO WAR stand out to me right now
Old May-14-2008, 4:28 AM

UK

Yes Iain and Christian and that's what creates the groove isn't it? Christian you mentioned in your review that some singers would only manage a couple of notes on top of We Shall be Free. That's very true and the same could be said of the bass playing. Some lesser mortals trying to understand funk would automatically go into twang and string bashing mode. Glenn chooses his lines with finesse. Result? It's that je ne sais quoi as Harry le Chat might say It's the identity for FUNK that's got Glenn's heart slap bag in the middle of it. The sign of a great album is that you can't put your finger in why you like it.

I just want to knock down doors and whack FUNK on the desks of many "seen it got the t shirt" journos who go all dewy eyed when the likes of Iron Maiden fart these days. This is an album of far reaching quality and it's great to see tomes such as Kerrang recognising that already. Quietly I'd feared that some of these metal mags might have found it alien because it didn't fit the rock format. I am confident that over the next few weeks we'll see some more great reviews from a variety of publications.

I only came in to see these reviews but now I am here, I have got to mention this amazing band! Luis, Anders, Chad and Glenn really gel as a unit here. And with JJ and Matt on the live shows that's a combo made in heaven. Another word for Anders as he's the dark horse in the family. No disrespect to Ed who will always be around but I feel Anders has the ability to help contribute to the Glenn Hughes vibe from here on in. The conventional keyboard player on MOTD, he's added an element of the sublime and mysterious which takes Glenn's marque to a different place. Glenn refers to him as his "secret weapon" and I'll say Amen to that. And Luis! I can't wait to see this guy twin up with JJ live next week in Prague.

I am off to plunge my head in a bucket of ice until I press play again!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Keith Thompson For This Useful Post:
Old May-14-2008, 7:26 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Keith Thompson View Post

I just want to knock down doors and whack FUNK on the desks of many "seen it got the t shirt" journos who go all dewy eyed when the likes of Iron Maiden fart these days.

Keith, LOL!!!

Old May-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Austria

Originally Posted by Keith Thompson View Post
And Luis! I can't wait to see this guy twin up with JJ live next week in Prague.

I am off to plunge my head in a bucket of ice until I press play again!

Hi Keith,
apart from the UK gigs and now Prague, will you be at any other shows on the Tour?
Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old May-14-2008, 4:28 PM

UK

Zlin and Budadpest Chris.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
1978, 1990, 1st, 2000, 2008, addiction, album, albums, backing, bass, brazil, Chad Smith, classic rock, Coast to Coast, cover, David, Deep Purple, drums, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, glenn_hughes, guitar, history, HTP, Hughes/Thrall, Jeff Kollman, JJ Marsh, keys, MySpace, press, solo, soul mover, styles, tickets, tommy bolin, tour, track, Trapeze, Video, win