g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan-22-2007, 3:56 PM

USA

Icon47 Hughes/Thrall - Hughes/Thrall (2007 Reissue)

Well worth the wait !! Received my copy today and just finished listening to it.

Take the booklets advice and play it loud. It has that special "pop" and "sizzle" to it. Sounds like your listening to the band live, and you're sitting in the theatre's sweet spot.

I heard little things here and there that I never heard before on the original release.

The two bonus tracks are awesome.

Come on Pat !! Let's get H/T 2 wrapped up and released !!

Congrats to all involved on a job well done

Chip
Old Jan-29-2007, 3:00 PM

USA

Icon33

Got back from my cruise, and the mail man had my copy of Hughes/Thrall waiting for me! The remaster sounds great, with plenty of bottom end and a nice, full sound. The album has sounded great for years, and now it sounds even better with the long overdue sonic massage treatment.

And I agree - those bonus tracks sound amazing. I could listen to a whole album of those. They sound like finished product!

Cheers...Todd
Old Jan-31-2007, 7:12 AM

Ireland

Received my copy yesterday - bloody hell, what a great job the Rock Candy crew did on this - it's like listening to a completely new record

As Chip said, pretty much every song has unbefore heard pieces, that really spice things up. As for the bonus tracks, I'm flawed, these really are BONUS tracks! Love Don't Come Easy is such a great song and Still The Night has never sounded better.

Can't say enough about this remaster, even the packaging is spot on - one of the best jobs I've ever seen and heard for a single disc.

Bring on H/T 2
Old Feb-10-2007, 8:13 AM

Belgium

Just bought mine yesterday.
The remastering is very good, well worth the wait...
"Love don't come easy" is better known as "try and take my love" from the same sessions as the heavy version of "still the night"...
Good job !
Old Feb-14-2007, 1:55 PM

USA

Icon47 CD Review: Hughes/Thrall - Hughes/Thrall (2007 Reissue)

Hi All:

My review of the new Hughes/Thrall reissue is now posted in my blog:

http://blog.myspace.com/damiendesimone

Damien

Damien's Sig:"I'm a soul singer in a rock genre; I've been trying to break out of the rock thing for years." ~ Glenn Hughes (1993)
Old Feb-17-2007, 1:10 AM

USA

H/T re-master

...been playing this disc to pieces since i got it

Pat is probably right when he said it sounds a little reverb-y, but 'those were the eighties'

Glenn's melodies are just awesome and the songs themselves are really energetic....

how the heck did he come up with the idea to sing *the* in Where did *the* time go in a higher key for example...the disc is full of surprises like that..
Old Feb-24-2007, 7:11 AM

UK

Well, anyone who knows me from the Fan Club days knows that I think HT is the greatest single piece of work that Glenn has been involved with. It's probably one of my 2 fave albums of all time (the other is Bridge Of Sighs by Robin Trower).

The new mix of HT adds sparkle to an album that was at the time light years ahead of others in terms of overall production and sound quality. The songs have stood the test of time and more, it sounds as fresh today, 25 years on, as it did in '82.

The bonus tracks are the, erm, bonus! Love Dont Come Easy contains one of the best bass lines I've ever heard from Hughsie during the chorus, whilst the slowed down original version of Still The Night has to be one of the heaviest things I've heard in years and knocks the Phenomena version into a cocked hat.

Whilst I still see Glenn and love the stuff he's doing now, Soul Mover and M4TD, I have to say that my own personal view is that he's never topped this.

He's recently said that PT is the best guitarist he's ever played with and that HT is tha album all of his musician pals still rave about.

No wonder, out of a five star rating I give it 10 everytime. Absolutely brilliant!
Old Feb-24-2007, 6:24 PM

USA

Ok I complained about the sound on the other board after listening in the car. But listening through headphones and popping back and forth between CD drives one featuring the old CD, it's clear what an improvement the new CD is. I need to upgrade my car system, because it's not doing CD's justice.

JH
Old Aug-03-2008, 7:36 PM

USA

Where did you guys get the remastered version? I've been looking for it like over a year and I've never seen it - until I came up here now I thought it must've never been released!!!!

THanks!

***UHHHH- never mind! I just found it on Amazon! Got it on order now!!!!!!!
Old Aug-09-2008, 11:17 AM

Germany

I 've bought the remastered cd a few months before at amazon.de . When I first heard it I was overwhelmed by the new version of " Still the night " . The remastering of the 9 songs from the original record is good . The artwork of the booklet is fantastic !!!

Avalon51's Sig: I know that I've been sometimes wrong
I feel my faith is growing strong
There is a place that I belong
These are the days of avalon

Old Aug-15-2008, 3:50 PM

NewZealand

this album rulezzzzzz

it makes my day

i ve got my copy too

hughes/thrall_rulez's Sig:
From now on....

\m/
Old Sep-05-2008, 7:29 AM

NewZealand

The new mix is frakkin' incredible. Always loved Muscle and Blood to a certain degree. And now the song sounds better than ever. H/T really is a crowning achievement in Glenn's career and I still wait with baited breath to see what's in store for H/T 2.

I recently listened to two demos from the H/T sessions with Searching Love and It's Not Too Late. Any reasons why those songs never made the remaster?
Old Feb-24-2009, 12:28 AM

USA

This one made my latest vegas car trip..had to shake things up a bit after trip after trip with Spectrum and Bolin tribute... just fabulous!! I even like the new songs now, which didn't do much for me when I got this. With all apologies...I just keep getting off on the rock...not the funk.
Old May-02-2010, 7:36 PM

Canada

I bought 'Hughes/Thrall' while working in the Sears record dept back in 1982. I was totally into Pat Travers for years, so when I heard Thrall was on this disc, I had to have it. I remember bringing it back to the store, and cranking it up so all the customers could hear 'Got your number'. I played it endlessly, and loved every track. It's truly a desert island album, and my favorite lp of Glenn's, and probably a tie with Thrall's first 'Automatic man' lp. I eventually learned every song on guitar and did cover of 'got your number', 'coast to coast', 'Hold out your life', 'Who will you run to' (doing this in an acoustic duo right now with my wife).

I'll post a live version I did of 'I got your number' with a female singer from a few years back. It has a full band on it.

The remaster is great, and the two new song fit right in. I still have the original lp but I admit that the remaster sounds slightly better.
Old May-05-2010, 9:29 AM

USA

I got this Rock Candy reissue when it first was released and, I guess, I never got around to opine on it. The new mix is exquisite and powerful, not that the original was weak or anything to be ashamed of. I typically hate remixes and almost always go back to the original (I may never listen to the remixed DP 'Burn' or Wishbone Ash 'Argus' reissues again). But this CD blows the original away. The bonus tracks fit in real nice and the booklet is great too. This is one of those rare forgotten albums that really lives up to the mystique.
Old Mar-04-2013, 1:11 PM

USA

Great job on the remaster. This music is powerful and in your face, more than ever now! I love Pat Thrall as a guitarist. Nice combo, Glenn and Pat. Wish there was more to enjoy but that the way it goes....

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
1982, 2007, album, albums, bass, cover, glenn, guitar, Hughes/Thrall, MySpace, soul mover, track