g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec-15-2004, 4:15 AM

UK

Icon47 Soul Mover

Woo hoo! Merry Christmas to me! I've been off work all week with the flu and feeling really sorry for myself and then the postman came! He dropped the promo of Soul Mover through the letterbox and all of a sudden I feel so much better!

Got it on at the moment and my first impression is how huge the sound is. It's very much a mix of old and new and I look forward to playing it non stop for the next few days till I have to go back to work
Old Dec-15-2004, 6:17 AM

UK

Extremely jealous!

Weissheim's Sig:cheers
John
Old Dec-15-2004, 6:48 AM

Netherlands

some girls have all the luck....

and hope you feel well very soon so you can go back to work and can't be able to listen to Soulmover aaaall day (what do you mean , jealous????)

stay funky
Hiawatha72
www.burnermusic.nl
Old Dec-15-2004, 7:06 AM

UK

Soul Mover

Thanks- I think! Lol!

By looking at the disk, it says that it's an unmastered version. Wonder why they're doing that? Probably so they can get the promos out before Christmas, maybe?

I can't hear any way they could make it sound any better though.

Honestly- I haven't been as into Glenn's last couple of CD's as most, but this is great. I know it'll take a few listens to be completely hooked, but it's got real balls. I know you will all be very happy with the results.

Big thumbs up from me anyway

Well done Glenn. Best I've heard you yet!
Old Dec-15-2004, 7:36 AM

Netherlands

it is unmastered?? believe me, by mastering it will even sound better

an unmastered copy of an Glenn Hughes cd is a 'wet dream' for an nonprofessional musician like me

please can i have it if you don't want it anymore??????, please, please please

stay funky
Hiawatha72
Old Dec-18-2004, 8:52 AM

Belgium

Thumbs up Soul Mover really rocks !!!!!

i just have finished listening to the entire cd.
It really rocks, one hour of funk rock, no fillers !!!!!
The sound is clear and powerfull. The guitars sound more modern and there are also some new drum sound.
Really his best solo work since a long time
Old Dec-18-2004, 11:30 AM

USA

how did you get it
Old Dec-18-2004, 11:54 AM

Belgium

Frontiers records is a european label and promos are already shipped to retail shop or radio stations.
Old Dec-18-2004, 2:32 PM

UK

I got mine a few days ago and I can't get over how good it is. The songs are all really great, the playing is outstanding and I think it's going to be up there with my favourite albums EVER!!!

Some great lyrics too. Tongue in cheek- definitely!

I can't decide who it reminds me of most- Living Colour, Kings X or Mothers Finest!

Something for everyone in there I think.
Old Dec-19-2004, 7:57 AM

Belgium

Icon47 Soul Mover track by track

Soul mover
great opener ! Funk rock at his best ! One of the Highlights of the cd. Can't wait to hear this song live !
She moves ghostly
this song could have been on BTM or SITKOR. A speed rocker in the style of ''wherever you go" with always some great percussions like african congas!
High road
Amazing modern guitar sound for this mid tempo song. Some parts remember me "out on me" but more funky !
Orion
Another highlight on the cd. A new style for Glenn. Glenn meets the Red hot chilli peppers with a very modern guitar solo.
Change yourself
The beginning of this song is very dark, it sounds like Soungarden or Alice in chains. And then it becomes a mid tempo very commercial.
Let it go
First epic song ( 7 minutes). This song could have been on Addiction.
Slow psychedelic moments and heavy riffs very Sabbath in the chorus.
Dark star
Funky rock is back. A Ritchie Kotzen kind of song.
It remembers me the funky part of "gettin tighter" live.
Great commercial chorus.
Land of the livin' (wonderland)
This is a funky mid tempo. A song with no surprise. Typical Glenn song.
Isolation
The beginning is very soul with percussions in the style of santana. Catchy chorus in the vein of "From now on". Another highlight !
Miss little insane
Typical hard rock song. It could have been on HTP.
"I got your number" meets "Revelations". Great modern guitar solo.
Last mistake
Slow tempo song in the style of Govn't Mule. A cross between " written all over your face" and " Days of avalon" with Stevie salas guitar sound.
don't let me bleed
Second epic song (7 minutes)
it remembers me "on the ledge" from HTP. A succession of slow and hard moments. A great way to finish the cd.
at the end of the last song, like on SITKOR, you'll find 5 seconds of Glenn's voice with keyboards.

Don't forget, it's my personal review and i hope it will give you a good idea of Soul mover. Anyway when i have finished to listen to it, i only need one thing : to play it again !
Old Dec-21-2004, 1:00 AM

Belgium

Soul mover:hard,funk,soul,rock...

Hello everybody . First thing,sorry for my english(not perfect).I'm completly agree with Martial a great hard funk soul and rock cd.Better than songs in the key of rock.Here,all the songs are really really great with good chorus.Thanks to Chad Smith a very very good drumer,J.J.Marsh really a good job( special sound of guitar and original guitar'solo)Keys,Not to much,just what we need.And Glenn really groove on bass and for the firsrt time since a very long time he doesn't scream on each songs.But really sing.Glenn's voice.THE BEST.Like Martial when i have finished to listen...just only need one thing...Play it again and again.We hope to see Glenn in Belgium or Holland in 2005.Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone .Soul mover,She moves ghostly,Orion,Change yourself,Let it go,Isolation..A great cd.

manu's Sig:hello
Old Dec-21-2004, 9:46 AM

UK

Hi Manu
Welcome
Looks like we've really got something to look forward to in January - I assume you have got a promotional copy in Belgium? I've only listened to the clips from Melodicrock's website but it has certainly made me want the release date to come forward..!!!

A Merry Christmas to you & all
Old Dec-28-2004, 12:15 PM

UK

I've just listened to the album once. It's true it's different than the previous couple of albums. There's a lot of heavy-funk stuff, less of a so-called *classic rock* songs. You can feel the RHCP aura. Production differs at times from the previous albums as well but only slightly. It has a more contemporary sounding, more like the new funk-rock bands. Some songs remind me of "Addiction" but they're not as climatic. A good album overall. I'll have to get used to it as unfortunately it didn't blow me away at first but it's one the albums that really grows on you after every next listening.
Old Jan-01-2005, 12:21 PM

Austria

Exclamation Soul Mover Mini-Review in local sunday paper

Hi everybody,

as usual I was checking out the local sunday paper (available today because of the holiday) in the morning during breakfast, and look what I found!

There were only 4 CD Mini-reviews today, Elvis Presley's debut reissued, an alternative Sampler by FM4 Radio station, the new Album by Sportfreunde Stiller from Germany and "Soul Mover" (see pic)

For the statistics:
This is from the Kurier, Austria's second biggest daily newspaper, Saturday January 1st, 2005 page 46

Guido Tartarotti (the man behind "GUITAR") is imo one of Austria's best music critics with a faible for classic and Heavy Rock

A translation of the review would read like this:

The ex-Deep Purple bass player and vocalist has dedicated his life researching the complicated relation between Rock and Soul. His new album -with Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith on drums- reminds one of the funky Deep Purple from 1975.

Note, only Elvis got 5 stars (a rarity, GUITAR giving 5 stars), all others, including "Soul Mover") got 3 out of 5, which is really good!

Cheers,
Christian
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
GHSOMOKUR010105.jpg  
Old Jan-02-2005, 6:43 PM

USA

Angry

Nice, concise and right on target with this review. Sounds impressive before the translation too . Hope someone Stateside will pick up the CD and give it a listen so maybe we'll see more positive reviews here. Since GH isn't some punk or rapper most 'mainstream' pubs won't even bother listening...their loss!!

Anyone know any radio or Newspaper people ?? MAybe we can get the word out through this group...and not just the handful that already do so.

Frank
Old Jan-02-2005, 9:24 PM

Australia

Icon28 Glenn's Workload

During the past few months, it has been quite amazing the amount of work Glenn has been doing. Recently the live cd/dvd companion, the amazing "Burn" remaster including the extra tracks and a magnificent 24 page colour book on the "Burn" sessions!! Great stuff. Finally, although it was pretty easy to listen too the aborted second Glenn Hughes/ Toni Iommi album online, after an 8 year period it finally sees the light of day. Although it is short on time, it still kills. As his new "Soul Mover" is due very soon, and to my listening could this actually be one of the best releases he has done in ages? If i can use a term, i can assure you all his fans will be "moved", and for some other great news Glenn and Tony Iommi, are now recording! This is too good! 2005 will be an awesome year for Glenn, that is for certain.

bigwolff's Sig:that would be great
Old Jan-13-2005, 11:34 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
Icon47 Soul Mover reviews

Here's another....from mr.com.....thought he could of scored it a little higher, but do like his comment, ".....tied up in a bouquet of funk, soul, R&B and of course - R.O.C.K."

Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover

91%
Songs: 89%
Sound: 93%

Glenn Hughes can sign it all - blues, funk, pop, metal, AOR…you name it. He ain't dubbed the voice of rock for nothing! And over his vast and distinguished career he has recorded it all at one stage or another. His career has had more stages than Broadway, and once again, in the lead up to this release we are faced with fresh claims from Glenn that this is his new 'stage' - "this, to me, is the start of the next phase of my career," states the man himself...again. These u-turns might be hard for all to follow. No one can expect Glenn to stick to a particular path for any length of time. Dedicated Hughes fans however, are very patient and simply accept the musical rainbow Glenn is content upon delivering.

One look through his solo catalogue showcases a very diverse path and Soul Mover is another u-turn from the straight ahead classic rock that has dominated recent releases such as the last solo album Songs In The Key Of Rock and the Hughes Turner releases.

Despite claims this album would be something pretty different, I find it simply to be just more of the same Glenn Hughes fans know and love. There is nothing here that hasn't been done before - but possibly this style hasn't been done quite so well before as it has been here.

Soul Mover is another great Hughes album - one that features a heavy does of blues, funk and soul. This is simply Glenn Hughes doing what he does best - with some quality songwriting along for the ride.

Soul Mover is part Feel, part The Way It Is and part Building The Machine. And it's part Red Hot Chilli Peppers, thanks to a major contribution from Peppers drummer Chad Smith. Joining Hughes and Smith on this mission is long time associates JJ March and Ed Roth, plus guest Dave Navarro on a couple of tracks.

The musical journey of Soul Mover will best be appreciated by long time Hughes fans – those that appreciate his whim for experimentation. The album offers some hard rock attitude with a heavy dose of funk, such as the groovy opening track Soul Mover and the distorted hard funk of High Road and the psychedelic Orion. Change Yourself and Let It Go both offer something different, with an updated style and sound that mixes retro with contemporary. There's also the true 70's funky pop of Dark Star and a little straight ahead rock on Isolation and Little Miss Insane.

There is possibly nothing finer on the album than the Santana inspired rhythm of She Moves Ghostly, which features a wonderfully soulful vocal, and some inspired percussion only someone of Chad Smith's caliber and background could offer.

The Bottom Line
Another solid Glenn Hughes album - period. The album features some very strong performances and some very fine songs - with all the melodies and memorable chorus hooks present in other Hughes releases - just this time around they are tied up in a bouquet of funk, soul, R&B and of course - R.O.C.K.
Old Jan-14-2005, 8:49 AM

Italy

Icon30 soul mover review

find it on www.glennhughesitalia.com

by giampietro frulli

beam

roberto's Sig:***
Old Jan-16-2005, 3:10 PM

USA

I'll keep this short. Mainly because I can't express in words how I feel about this album.

This is the most awesome release I've ever heard!!! If any of this could make it to the radio, watch out....Glenn's rise to fame (again) is taking off like a rocket.

Glenn, you out did yourself this time buddy!!

I hope we get to hear some Soul Mover material in February

Chip
Old Jan-25-2005, 9:44 AM

USA

After being basically skint the last few months, I wound up with some extra cash. So I found a crow bar in the garage, pried open my wallet and placed an order with NEH Records....thanks to David for the tip! I am going to have my own Glenn Fest in a few days!

I ordered;

Soul Mover

Soulfully Live In The City Of Angels

HTP: Live IN Tokyo

And to add a bit of variety;

Jeff Scott Soto- Lost In The Translation

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Mar-02-2005, 8:25 PM
D_eath_stalker

Icon33 us tour dates

where are the US tour dates?

We love Glenn too

SoulMover Rocks!

I jammed out on the CD today before work

You gotta love it!

Peace Out
Old Mar-04-2005, 12:52 AM

zUKUSA

Thumbs up

Another great review....

Soul Mover - Glenn Hughes

Music from Sanctuary Records
Release date: 15 March, 2005

Rating - 10/10

Glenn Hughes - the name is synonymous with great bass players and the term blues rocker. From Trapeze, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath to a highly acclaimed solo career, the man has been around the block and back. Unlike some of his contemporaries, he has been wise enough to take care of himself and maintain an enormously successful career that is unmatched by very few in the music industry. With that steadfast determination, he releases Soul Mover, a killer album that features the incredible Hughes trademark bass lines and from-the-gut vocals that have made him one of the most recognizable voices in rock. The man sounds as good as he did when he recorded Burn with Deep Purple, which was released 30 years ago!

The album starts with a big bang, as the title track (which is also the bonus video) featuring Jane’s Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro, lets loose. Hughes’ bass playing is jaw dropping. Incredible dexterities are evident, and lightning fast fingers the key to his craft on this album. Fellow and younger band mates meet the challenge of keeping up with the elder statesman of rock. Similar to the DEP Sessions, I heard the fusion elements of blues, rock, funk and rhythm and blues coming out in every song. The energy is through the roof on every track. This man continues to amaze and make some of the best music out there. Chad Smith is animal on the skins, he does a nice job complimenting Hughes’ one of a kind bass playing and hats off to J.J. Marsh with his dynamite guitar licks, the dude rocks from start to finish (with the exception of the title track).

If you are in search of high-energy non-stop music that rocks, I have just the fix for you. There is plenty of reason for celebration due to the release of this milestone blues-rock recording. This is a career-defining album that will receive plenty of attention, one of the best rock albums you will hear in 2005. Trust me; I only say this about 10 times a year, so pay attention. Just as Hughes sings on "Change Yourself", "Nothing last forever but the soul". Feed your need; fill the hole inside with the music. Glenn Hughes is most definitely a Soul Mover and one listen to his new album is proof positive of that fact.

- Keith "MuzikMan" Hannaleck

01. Soul Mover
02. She Moves Ghostly
03. High Road
04. Orion
05. Change Yourself
06. Let It Go
07. Dark Star
08. Isolation
09. Land of the Living
10. Miss Little Insane
11. Last Mistake
12. Don't Let Me Bleed

Credits:
Glenn Hughes: All vocals & bass
Chad Smith: drums, percussion, pots & pans, Screamin’ & Yellin’
JJ Marsh: Guitar
Dave Navarro: Lead Guitar on "Soul Mover"/ Guitar Intro on "She Moves Ghostly"

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/03/03/162101.php
Old Mar-31-2005, 4:02 AM

USA

Ok Soul Mover after a few months....I finally get it now....It's brilliant I'm playing it every week....I think it's taking me longer to get into it because I call it the "Everything but the kitchen sink album" . It's got so much that it was hard to take it all in at first. But it's great..I even listen to Orion now and like it....Just towards the end though I think it goes on a bit too long and the guitar solo is JJ's second worst ever (after Miss Little Insane) but both were done on purpose. But now definitely I like the song. The drums sound just like they did at the DVD shoot, he must be set up on the same stage at the same spot and miked the same because I remember them sounding exactly like this. (I remember because I haven't seen the DVD and won't until they fix it.) Chad's drums just have that thunder and echo a signature sound...Fantastic. The songs are great. The only complaint is I don't think JJ's guitar sound is as good as the last album. Jeff Kollman being a guitar player nailed it...he knew how to record a guitar. His playing is great...I'm amazed Glenn can come up with this stuff album after album...singing great also and great bass playing.....I'm still waiting to hear something from Ed Roth like I did from Hans and Vince...that killer hard to play intro like Angela or On The Ledge, that smoke your ears off keyboard solo like on Missed Your Name. When do we get it Glenn? He has nice sounds and textures like the soft Rhodes playing.
Thumbs up everybody!

John
Old Apr-02-2005, 3:37 AM

USA

Oh and another thing.....every song on this album is worth listening to and is great....no fillers at all! The album flows together well and right now I'm listening to it almost every time I'm in my car (where I do 99 percent of my music listening.) Five stars!*****

John
Old May-15-2005, 9:00 AM

UK

Icon34

I am ashamed to say i havent listened to this album yet i have it at home, Shirl kindly sent it to me a little while ago, but im still at uni, i dont go home for another two weeks, fourteen whole days, altho, this time in a fortnight, i shall just be arriving home, providing traffic is okay, ill say a quick hello to the dog, i miss her, forget about my sister, i talk to her on the phone, and straight up to my room to listen to it. I may make some time to get my stuff out of the car, and maybe get something to eat, i dont like service station food, but ill be spending the next few hours listening to it, no doubt it will be on repeat! I cant wait!
Old Jul-05-2005, 11:35 AM

zUKUSA

Thumbs up Review....

Here's another outstanding review....this time from the Stuff I Like column in the June 1st, 2005 issue (No. 205) of USA magazine, Discoveries
Discoveries060105.jpg  
Old Aug-11-2005, 6:20 PM

USA

Thumbs up Aussie audio review

Here's an audio review from Australia by some musicians, bass players to be exact! Review, comments and soundbytes from Soul Mover are included throughout. There's even a small special on the Chili Peppers at the end, which I kept in. But no worries it concludes with a song from Soul Mover

There's also a mention of Fused for good measure

It's 'kinda Wayne 'n Garth in places, but an enjoyable listen all the same
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Basscast.mp3 (16.50 MB, 5 views)
Old Sep-08-2005, 10:14 PM

zUKUSA

Thumbs up iTunes Review...

Here's another great review - this time from Apple's iTunes Music Store.

They just announced this week that they now have over 2 million songs available for purchase - in addition, they have just started posting reviews for the albums the songs belong to - only 1,000 so far, but guess what - GLENN HUGHES / Soul Mover is one of them

Great stuff
itunes_soulmover.jpg  
Old Sep-28-2007, 10:31 AM

zUKUSA

Icon33 Different "Soul Mover" mix!

Some of you may have come across this already, but I've only just noticed (!!) that in Apple's USA iTunes Store, the song "Soul Mover" on it's edition of the USA release, is in fact, the "unreleased" mix that GLENN was asked about during his and Chad Smith's interview on the 2005 Rockline radio programme!

It has a different intro and subtle changes in guitar riffs and it's run-time is 5:35 vs the USA & European and other CD releases of the song, which clock in at 4:22.

Take a listen to the attached snippet to see what I mean.

Anyway, if it's something you don't have already, you can buy just this song, very easily, for only 99 cents
over at the USA iTunes Store
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 gh_soulmover_itunesusamix.mp3 (2.00 MB, 8 views)
Old Sep-28-2007, 10:40 AM

UK

i like the intro but prefer the guitar riff of the UK release.

Worth getting in full tho i think.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
1975, 1st, 2005, addiction, album, albums, bands, bass, book, Chad Smith, classic rock, David, debut, Deep Purple, drums, funk soul, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, HTP, Jeff Kollman, JJ Marsh, journey, keys, remix, search, Shirean, solo, solo album, soul mover, tour, track, Trapeze, Video