g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Reports & Pictures Post your reviews, pictures, video & set lists here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun-17-2006, 5:18 PM

Australia

Thumbs up Live in Sydney (Basement) + Pix

Gday from Sydney

It was one amazing show here in Sydney. We have been waiting for over 20 years!

Glenn started with coast to coast with only two guitars Glenn playing a 3/4 guitar. The vocals really as you would all know carried the whole show. We heard 3 new songs off the new album which are great. The audience really appreciated Glenn's voice and his screams were the best!

The show ended with Glenn playing bass and finishing off with you keep on moving.

Thanks Glenn and JJ and all who organised the best show we have had here!
Old Jun-17-2006, 5:22 PM

USA

Icon33

Sounds like a great time! You lucky devils got to hear the new material live, too! Glad a show finally materialized for you guys, and here's hoping you'll see more in the near future.

And the supreme bass commander himself, Bob Daisley, was there?!

Cheers...Todd
Old Jun-17-2006, 6:25 PM

Australia

Icon35

Glenn Hughes - Live at the Basement.
17/06/06 Sydney, Australia.

I'm still trying to get my head around last night and I'm still suffering from the Wild Turkey.

We got there right on 3:00pm, got in line and waited for the doors to open.
Once opened, we slowly shuffled our way inside, escaping the street noise -that infernal drilling!

On sale, were ample copies of Soul Mover accompanied by a sign that read;

"Glenn will be signing copies of Soul Mover after the show"

I was kinda hoping there would be CDs for sale other than the ones I already have! LOL!

JJ Marsh walks past and I say "G'day JJ" so he stopped and we had a great little chat - what a down to earth and friendly guy!!

I asked him about his album (I gave the samples I heard online the highest praise) and he said that he was having difficulty in finding a record company to release it!!!!

So, JJ said they were going to release it thru his website instead and _____ the record companies!!!

Bob Daisley was there as well!!!

I met Bob in 1987 (woah, twenty years almost!) walking down George St here in Sydney.
After I refreshed his memory, he said he did remember me and we chatted about projects past, present and future!!

He mentioned something about working with Joe Lynn Turner and Carlos Cavazo in the very near future!!

I ran into an old friend Chris, who I hadn't seen in years.

Chris played guitar in the Australian Idol band (great guitar player!) and then in walks Jimmy Barnes (or Barnsey as he's affectionately known here) he and Chris chat for a while, then Chris introduces me to Jimmy who is a really great guy, shook hands too!!

Ran into so many people I hadn't seen in years, people I used to gig with, people I used to drink with, people I used to gig and drink with.

Also met perplexed from the forums- he's a real cool dude!! Where's your review man?

The show started at 4:45pm.

Glenn walks on stage and the place just exploded with cheers for the man and his men (ok, women too!) Glenn came across as a charming and warm person, funny too. He knew how to make people laugh when he wanted them too.

Coast to Coast was up first and sounded beautiful with a string quartet accompanying it.
Glenn vocals were amazing and there was not a person in that room who wasn't impressed.
I spoke to alot of random punters after the show asking them "What did you think of that?" every reaction was highly positive!!

I know you guys are going to kill me, but i cannot remember the entire set list in order and I should, considering i was sitting practically on top of the keyboard player (I could read the set list) so hopefully there are others who were there who would have a better memory than me!

They played, Coast To Coast, Nights in White Satin, Mistreated, Soul Mover, This Is How I Feel, Last Mistake, I Found A Woman, This Time Around, Gettin' Tighter, You Keep On Movin'..................

Mistreated was unexpected surprise for me, I didn't think they'd do much from the Purple days, but Glenn delivered a brilliant performance which I found to be very moving.

It was a fantastic show, I was so honored to be there not only to watch see the man play live, but that the performance will be released on DVD!

Glenn called Jim Barnes up to the stage to do Gettin' Tighter and the thing that impressed the hell out of me, was how humble Jimmy was in front of Glenn.

Jimmy's first words to the crowd were "How the hell do I sing after that??!!"

Everyone laughed and they went into Gettin' Tighter which was fantastic!

Jimmy sang the song really well and I was impressed that he sang, instead of screamed - he did a great job!

I heard someone say that this performance was to play on TV here on the ABC's Live At The Basement series.

Hopefully we'll hear more about this soon.

Then came the magic moment.

I have two musical idols, one guitar the other voice!

I've met one of my music idols already.

I met Ritchie Blackmore in 1984 and last night, I met my favorite all time singer, Glenn Hughes.
There was a huge line up for photos/autos so I couldn't really take up too much of Glenn's time by asking him a million questions, so I just thanked him so much for his incredible music and for sharing his talent with us.

Also thanked him for coming to Australia to play for us and he said he was going to come back here with his band for certain!!

Such a warm and friendly person, he signed two CDs for me- I couldn't decide on what to bring so I brought Songs In The Key... and Soul Mover.

Shook hands and got a photo with the man too!!

Thanks again Glenn, you are a bloody champion mate and thanks to everyone for a magnificent night, one that I will never forget!

Special thanks to Drew Thompson for looking after us so well! Thanks Mate!!!

Cheers!

A very tired, but elated, Aussie Mike

Oh, I almost forgot:

GRACE!
Glenn said to say "Hello" to you.
I remembered!!

LOL!!!
Old Jun-17-2006, 6:52 PM

Australia

I just got back to Brisbane from Sydney this morning.. I got there at 3.00 myself and saw J.J. but sadly missed Bob Daisley.. shame 'cause I would have liked to have told him how much I love the Mother's Army albums.

I was slightly disappointed that the only merchandise on sale was 'Soul Mover'.. no shirts or posters or anything else like that.

Aussie Mike was at a table with quite a few people to the left of the stage and I snagged a small table to the right of the stage.. really nice seat except for the cameraman who occasionally stood right in front of me.

Glenn Hughes was brilliant though.. usually small club type gigs have lousy acoustics but it sounded clear and was wonderful. I loved every minute of it although it was only 14 songs... if I had to pick a fave it would be 'Last Mistake'.. it sounded absolutely gorgeous with strings..

I did remember the setlist though...

1. Coast To Coast
2. I Found A Woman
3. This Time Around
4. Nights In White Satin
5. Last Mistake
6. This House
7. Frail
8. The Divine
9. This Is How I Feel
10. Whiter Shade Of Pale
11. Mistreated
12. Soul Mover
13. Getting Tighter (w/ Jimmy Barnes)
14. single song encore : 'You Keep On Moving'

Probably the strangest part was after the show when I was queuing up and I just automatically knew the guy in front of me was Aussie Mike even thought i'd never seen him before!! ...my name is Michael too, btw. I met Glenn Hughes afterwards a couple of times and, like the other Mike, thanked him for coming to Australia and told him i'll be there next time he comes back. Very lovely person I thought.. very genuine.. i've met plenty of my favorite recording artists but Glenn felt natural and 'real'.. but, for me, it was great to finally tell the man personally how much I love his music..

Only brought a couple of cd's to sign.. 'Soul Mover' and 'HTP 2'.. the guy behind me brought his entire Glenn Hughes cd collection to get signed.. some 30 + cd booklets! The vibe going around afterwards from Glenn and his crew suggests that testing the Australian market with the local release of 'Soul Mover' and the promotional tour has produced very encouraging results so i'm very happy for Glenn, J.J. and the rest of the crew if that is indeed the case.

I know that the performance was filmed for an ABC show called 'Live At The Basement' but was unaware it was also slated for a dvd release as well. Not sure who Drew Thompson was either but I think it may have been the guy at the head of Aussie Mike's table... huge thanks to Drew though both for the excellant australian version of 'Soul Mover' and the promotional tour and especially a huge thanks to Glenn and J.J. for a gig better than I ever dreamed. Sounded very 'electric' for what was billed as an acoustic gig too.. very lush rich full sound...
Old Jun-17-2006, 6:55 PM
andydude

i've been a long time fan of glenn, all i can say was i was amazed at this gig... he is truely "the voice of rock"

i think they played a song called "Frail" from the new album, which he introduced with a story about an old lady thinking about her past life.. and they also played "whiter shade of pale"

as jimmy barnes said as he came on "what a ****in' singer"

i also overheard someone talking to the one of the camera people and she said they where filming for a DVD release.
Old Jun-17-2006, 6:55 PM

Australia

...glad it's sunday though.. have not slept a wink in two days.
Old Jun-17-2006, 9:07 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
Icon35 Sydney Pix

GLENN

JJ

GLENN

JJ

JJ and GLENN

JJ and GLENN

JJ and GLENN

JJ, Jimmy Barnes and GLENN

Pictures Courtesy: Mike Sarantos

Thanks to Mike for the great pictures and to everyone so far for your reviews. A fantastic setlist and the debut of some fresh new material straight off Music For The Divine

Hope some of you have got tickets for tonight's gig in Melbourne, although it sounds like it'll be hard to top last night's show

Look forward to hearing more about the DVD and TV broadcast sometime soon.
Old Jun-17-2006, 9:45 PM

Australia

Cleaning them up was a great idea, they look much, much better.

Drew Ok'd me taking pics, but he said no flash, I respected that. Nobody wants to see a kazillion flashes going off on the DVD!!

I did notice one, that was certainly not me!!

When GH comes back here with the band, It'll be flash ON man! LOL!!!

Do you think that GH will do one show per (main) city here, or a few in each?

If he does more than one show in Sydney, I'll be at everyone for sure with my posse!!

ROCK!!

Mike
Old Jun-18-2006, 1:52 AM
Bradley

Smile Live at the Basement

There isn't a whole lot to add to what's already here.My wife Lisa and I flew from Brisbane to see the gig and belive it to be the gig of our lives.The string section really gave the songs an appeal we haven't heard from Glenn before .The whole night was magic we were one table back from the front if the stage.Glenn has a fantastic sense of homour and is so humble.It was a pleasure to meet him and witness the man in action .I had to wait 31 years for this.I saw Glenn in 1975 with Purple in Brisbane at an outdoor gig.
Old Jun-18-2006, 5:54 AM

Brazil

A dvd release ?????
OH MY GOD !
DOES ANYONE HAVE SAMPLES ???????

Gustavo Martins's Sig:Saravá
Old Jun-18-2006, 7:31 AM

USA

sounds great guys and talk of a dvd makes it even better
Old Jun-18-2006, 7:44 AM

UK

Icon34

Great that you all had a wicked time - you certainly had to wait long enough. And to hear some of M4TD live - brilliant. Love the photos too

Will read all in detail later. Thanks again

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jun-18-2006, 12:43 PM

Australia

It was certainly worth the wait.
Saturday the 17th of June 2006 will forever remain one of the best nights of my life.
Not only was Glenn brilliant, but it gave us the chance to actually meet and chat to Glenn, JJ and even Bob Daisley.
Old Jun-18-2006, 4:34 PM

Australia

I agree Mike! The video will be played on the live in the basement series so keep your eye out on ABC.
Old Jun-18-2006, 5:48 PM

USA

Smile Being in the presence of greatness..

I was fortunate enough to be in the audience for the DVD shoot for Soulfully Live In The City Of Angels so I understand how all of you who saw Glenn in Sydney must have felt being there and realizing that the event would be preserved for posterity. it had been nearly 31 years since Glenn last visited Australia and this was a historic event to be sure.....And what a killer set list, all that and Jimmy Barnes too!

Cherish the memory...that was indeed a special night!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Jun-19-2006, 7:39 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
You can view a few more pix over at WireImage.com - although just the thumbnails without an account

www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=gls====192364&nbc1=1
Old Jun-23-2006, 4:02 PM

UK

They seem like excellent quality. Thanks to J Stanton, whoever you are!

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jun-03-2007, 7:56 AM

CzechRepublic

Live In Basement

Hi, thanks for the pictures from Sydney. I like Glenn s accoustic versions! Chelsea
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to chelsea63 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-23-2010, 1:01 PM

Australia

You're welcome!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Share Thread

Tags
1975, 1984, 1987, 2006, album, albums, bass, Coast to Coast, debut, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, HTP, JJ Marsh, Pix, soul mover, tickets, tour, Video