g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec-28-2010, 2:31 AM

USA

Arrow Tommy Bolin Teaser Remaster

Looks like it's finally coming. I punched Tommy Bolin into Google news and found this posted by bassist Chuck Wright:

"Im currently working on a CD package for a Tommy Bolin (late DEEP PURPLE, JAMES GANG guitarist) Teaser reissue"

This is one CD that desperately needs the Kevin Shirley treatment. The intro of Dreamer and some of the other quieter moments on the cd are without a doubt the lowest, noisest and impossible to hear DBs of any cd I own. The Cd is not unlistenable or the worst sounding album to be put on Cd- that honor goes to David Lee Roth's Eat Em and Smile and Dokken's 80's albums.
Old Dec-28-2010, 11:04 PM

USA

Saw a post on the Bolin board that Chuck also does CD artwork. I hope this remaster is for real, not another unauthorized like the Archives did a few years back.
Old Jan-18-2011, 11:08 AM

UK

from www.deep-purple.net

Quote:
More news on the much anticipated (by us anyway!) Teaser Deluxe CD release, now slated for March 2011 in Europe. This is another treat for Bolin fans, and will contain alternate versions of every album track, some not released before, and remixes, some of which fans will have heard on the Whips & Roses CDs. However it does not contain the original album remastered as originally expected (which we guess means those production tapes still cannot be found). It will come in a special digipak and the release is produced with the co-operation of the Bolin estate, and forms the first of three anticipated titles. Up next is likely to be the all-star Bolin & Guests CD, with a huge array of talent laying new parts onto Bolin masters. It is hoped that a third CD featuring the best of Bolin & Deep Purple will conclude the trio.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-18-2011, 5:44 PM

USA

The tapes can't be found and this isn't a real remaster ????? Darn. Oh man, I hope this isn't another Hughes Thrall situation. Just tragic.
Old Jan-19-2011, 1:12 PM

USA

Bummer if the original tapes are lost...I'd still like to hear a remaster done off of other source material, if possible. The original album is in serious need of some punch, and an increase in the levels on the quieter moments, as was pointed out.

And John, I think the Dokken albums sound fine. I listen to Tooth & Nail all the time! I'd be first in line for a remaster, but they don't sound too bad as they are.
Old Jan-20-2011, 12:34 PM

UK

From Tommy Bolin Archives:

Quote:
Greg Hampton (producer of the Tommy Bolin Whips and Roses CDs) is currently finishing up production on Teaser Deluxe, a CD which will contain alternate versions of all the tracks that appeared on the original Teaser album plus bonus tracks. All the material is being remixed from original multi-track tapes, and most of the material hasn't been heard by the public before in any form. The track list is: 1. The Grind, 2. Homeward Strut, 3. Dreamer, 4. Crazed Fandango, 5. Savannah Woman, 6. Teaser, 7. People, People, 8. Marching Powder, 9. Wild Dogs, 10. Lotus, 11. Crazed Fandango (alternate). The package includes a 24-page booklet with rare photos. It will be available worldwide in stores and online.

Attached Images

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-22-2011, 3:20 PM

USA

Icon33

So it would seem that the original tapes of the alternate takes are available, but the actual album tracks are still nowhere to be found.

I'll take what's available, I guess. Although I hope that's not the final cover art. How about using one of the alternate photos from the original photo session, to maintain the same look and feel?
Old Jan-23-2011, 1:49 PM

USA

Originally Posted by toadsterama View Post
So it would seem that the original tapes of the alternate takes are available, but the actual album tracks are still nowhere to be found.

I'll take what's available, I guess. Although I hope that's not the final cover art. How about using one of the alternate photos from the original photo session, to maintain the same look and feel?

I agree If Chuck Wright is good at making CD covers, than it's gotta be better than this.

As for no masters but outtakes: Seems absurd to me. It's nobody's fault, so not laying blame, but the premise is ridiculous: The outtakes exist, so let's remaster them, but the original masters can't be found?

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
2011, album, albums, cover, hughes thrall, tommy bolin, track