g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov-15-2010, 10:04 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
One other good 'un

Quote:
'The Great Divide' starts off with a spine wrenching riff, backed with a perfectly low tuned bass line, giving way to Glenn Hughes to introduce the listener to the song's verse. All building up to a hell of an intense chorus. With an intricate solo, the song has so much energy to give in it's 4 min: 44 second time length. I was completely sold, and had to give the entire album a listen.

www.metality.net/2010/11/disconnect-from-world-for-5-minutes.html
Old Nov-16-2010, 11:04 PM

UK

Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
I was just over at JB's site and someone posted a message to Joe stating that Glenn is a hinderance because his vocal style and range are one dimensional and limited.

That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard about Glenn. Has the guy ever heard any of his stuff? I suspect not.
Old Nov-17-2010, 5:43 AM

USA

Angry

Originally Posted by martinsmith99 View Post
That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard about Glenn. Has the guy ever heard any of his stuff? I suspect not.

I know!!! I've read some BS over there but that one took the cake!!!

I generally just let it roll off but not that time. I had to step in and put the guy in his place. If he had said that his style and range were too much for him then at least one may understand. Some prefer a limited style and range. Just turn the radio on and that much is apparent!

I doubt that the poster has heard any of his stuff. But wouldn't listening to BCC be enough that any such comments would irrelevant?? Like the content or not?!?!

No worries though. We know and many over there are loving BCC. Some aren't and won't because of wanting Joe to stay in a place they are comfortable with. There is some of that here I'm sure too. Some would prefer Glenn to stay the solo course and it may cloud their appreciation for what is one really special album.

I'm thrilled about it all and that's all that matters to me! Seeing Joe B. in Wilkes Barre Pa tonight!
Old Nov-17-2010, 1:33 PM

UK

limited range and style! don't make me laugh

Let's play a game, pick two or three tracks and see if his range is limited! I pick Video Killed the Radio Star with Geoff Downes, Dopamine with Tony Iommi, Take You Down from TWII. Yeah, listen to those one after the other. He's right, Glenn is REALLY limited!

He is talking rubbish!!!!

Paul
Old Nov-28-2010, 8:12 PM

zUKUSA

Another outstanding review...

Quote:
With this record being cranked out so fast, can you imagine what subsequent releases will sound like? Glenn has already stated that he is writing songs for the next record. After hearing the power of Black Country Communion, I, for one, cannot wait.

www.bellaonline.com/articles/art69663.asp
Old Nov-30-2010, 8:03 PM

zUKUSA

Excellent review

Quote:
Tracks like “Stand (At The Burning Tree)” and “The Great Divide” are all about Glenn Hughes’ powerhouse vocals. His pipes are as strong as ever, and it’s a safe bet to say that this album may be a career-defining moment for the 58-year-old singer. Anyone who recalls his heyday with Deep Purple can’t help but be impressed.

www.theweekender.com/music/A_communion_of_hard-rock_standouts_11-30-2010.html
Old Dec-03-2010, 6:28 AM

USA

Originally Posted by tony conley View Post
Here's my review of the brilliant new album, "Black Country", by Glenn Hughes, Joe Bonamassa, Jason Bonham, and Derek Sherinian - the band, very soon to be better known as Black Country Communion.

http://rockguitardaily.blogspot.com/2010/06/black-country-communion.html

Great review! I really liked the song "Black Country" alot, but I just don't like the rest of the album much. It probably has to do with the fact that I'm nor a Bonamassa fan.

My favorite Glenns will always be the Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Iommi, and Soul Mover material. I liked a little of the HTP and Thrall music as well. He sure does have the voice of Rock, to this very day. Hope to work with him sometime. Maybe a Graham Bonnet/Glenn Hughes duet.
Old Dec-08-2010, 8:53 PM

zUKUSA

One other standout review...

Quote:
Black Country Communion is a strong debut release from the band of the same name.

The musicianship throughout is brilliantly executed; and the music is potent, hard, funky, energetic, and ambitious. This is hard rock for 2010, and it’s powerful and progressive. These four guys are at the top of their game here, a trait that’s blatantly noticeable in every song.

http://timlester1.blogspot.com/2010/12/black-country-communion-album-review.html
Old Dec-16-2010, 4:38 AM

zUKUSA

Icon34 Maverick

An excellent 5-star review in UK country music magazine, Maverick, of the debut Black Country Communion album! You'll find it in their January 2011 issue, No. 102.

Quote:
This is a quite amazing rock album from a wickedly superb supergroup.

Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
Maverick Magazine_January_2011_Issue_Black Country_CD_Review_1.jpg   Maverick Magazine_January_2011_Issue_Black Country_CD_Review_2.jpg  
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-27-2010, 1:33 PM

zUKUSA

Excellent review from CREEM Magazine contributor, Jeffrey Morgan:

Quote:
SIZZLING PLATTER OF THE WEEK: Black Country Communion – Black Country Communion (J&R Adventures) ::

"The vocals are of the scotch-garglin’ style that made Steve Marriott and Bon Scott benchmark wailers; the bass is a bowel-buffeting beast that’ll massage your innards from stench to stern; the slick-swervin’ guitar is straight outta mid ’60s studio nirvana; and the pulse-pounding drums with their thick bludgeoning beats sound uncannily just like John Bonham of Led Zeppelin—which they oughtta since the skin-smashin’ stick man is none other than Bonzo’s son Jason."

"Toss in some synth-soaked atmoogspherics and you’ve got a recipe for the kind of good old-fashioned “Black Country Rock” that Mom used to hate!"

www.jeffreymorgan.info/2010.12.26_arch.html#1293371570098
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-31-2010, 2:17 PM

USA

I gave up on this album over two months ago and put it away till I was in a better frame of mind. Put it on last night and I now am onboard with BCC. I like every song now except for #10 and 12, and I think Sister Jane, when I get this on my Ipod I'm going to move it up to the middle of the order. I really enjoyed this last night. I love Joe's soloing and guitar sound, Jason's drumming finally gets an outlet we can hear it , lately he's just been a live drummer playing other people's songs. I think the next album will be even better. And of course Glenn's vocals and bass playing are the star attraction as always! I now give it a thumbs up. While Joe, Glenn and Jason all have outstanding moments on this, Derek Sherinian doesn't seem to add anything special- other than that cool middle eastern string part- that counts. I know he's a great talent and can do it. I have one of his solo albums als. I'm just waiting for that moment that makes me go- wow no wonder he was in Dream Theatre! Everybody else here does it every song. Maybe the band should have had two star guitarists instead of one?

Thanks.
Old Feb-03-2011, 7:17 AM

Germany

Icon26

today i want to try to explain what makes the Black Country Communion debut album for me so outstanding.

Sure i read a lot of rezensions in magazines, very positive, sometimes euphoric. One thing was often told: a superb vintage rock album, 70ties- Hardrock at its best, and a new rock-classic hymn: Song Of Yesterday!

I heard the album a lot also in my car, as well as in my livingroom and one thing appears quickly te fat sound of a real band playing. The music is breathing again like Burn,Stormbringer, CTTB...

But the vocals now are even better. The sound is better, even Glenns voice is more powerful than in the 70ties. And in that time Glenn was brillant, like we all know.

One thing is not like in the 70ties! the spirit of the songs is different. The colourchanging of Glenns singing is so complex. This was not in vintage- rock times, i think.

It is brandnew rockmusic with vintage sounding instruments.

"One Last Soul" is a real Highway Star Hammer.
"Sista Jane" sounds a little bit like the Stones for me.
"Song of yesterday" is a fantastic rockhymn, perhaps one of the really vintage sounding numbers.
My personal favourite is "The Great Divide" .

And i always hear new details and colours, and you can hear that this musicians really play together and not against one another!

That is a lot of good music on one album!
Old Feb-11-2011, 7:32 PM

USA

That was a great review!

Played the cd at our super bowl party and the response was nothing short of spectacular!!!

This was a bunch of old school rockers and I just put it on and it was like "what is this? it's great!!" Nobody could believe it was new. That was in a positive way too! They didn't think that anyone was making music of this quality anymore.

Of course my close friend's know all about Glenn and all things GH. They also know good stuff when they hear it. It was those who don't know that makes it all so worthwhile. It is a mission of mine to spread the word far and wide. They are catching on a little at a time but make no mistake they are.

Glenn, keep up the good work brother!! Great music doesn't go unnoticed. I'll die trying my friend!!!
Old Feb-12-2011, 12:54 PM

UK

Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
It is a mission of mine to spread the word far and wide.

John, i guess you are a MESSENGER

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Feb-12-2011, 2:00 PM

USA

Originally Posted by wolfysmith View Post
John, i guess you are a MESSENGER

You know Wolfy, I guess you are right!! Well put my friend!!

But Glenn is THE messenger!!!

I'm just trying like hell to spread the joy. This guy deserves to be heard by as many people as possible. He deserves all the good that comes his way.

Hey, we really have to hang out again Wolfy! Been a while now.
Old Feb-12-2011, 2:07 PM

Germany

Icon26

when i hear ,what kind of high quality music this is from BCC, and when i see also that Glenn and Joe talking so humble about their great work, it makes me speechless.
I am grateful to live in this time and may enjoy this band.

I was talking to my neighbour last days , who was living in England a few years, and she said that in Wales a lot of people are so musically.
Oh yeah, i guess she's absolutely right because of Glenn Hughes.

today in french-german television there was a movie about Glenns namecousin Glenn Gould, the great kanadian pianist. I know very well i am on a real rock n'roll forum but there were some faszinating parallels between these different musicians. Both are diving absolutly deep into the music, and the rythm side of Glenn Goulds piano playing is also strong, yes you can say funky, of course. And seeing him talking and explaining his work was not so far away from the interviews from Glenn Hughes sometimes.
Old Feb-23-2011, 9:50 AM

UK

Well I bought it, I love it - end of story. Nothing like a simple review lol

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
1974, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, addiction, album, albums, backing, bands, bass, BCC, Black Country Communion, brazil, classic rock, Classic Rock Magazine, cover, debut, drums, foreigner, glenn, glennhughes.com, guitar, hughes thrall, jason bonham, joe bonamassa, journey, keys, press, rocktopia, solo, solo album, soul mover, steve morse, tickets, tour, track, win