g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Media Centre Interviews & the Press; pictures, video & soundbytes.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar-11-2005, 2:07 PM

UK

Icon31 Classic Rock - April - Part 2

Further to my post of Classic Rock’s review of the Soul Mover show at the Mean Fiddler in London – here’s a quick round up of what else is in the April edition.

Firstly, the whole mag has been revamped. There is now a much bigger gigs listing and double the amount of album reviews – which are now rated out of 10.

It also comes with a free music Dvd featuring 17 videos including Alice Cooper doing Schools Out and Dio singing Holy Diver.

Here’s some stuff from the new April issue I thought some of you might like:

Ozzy says he wants to do another Sabbath album – will this affect Hughes Iommi

Dio’s new U.K. tour in October will be two sets with a break in the middle. They will be performing the whole of the Holy Diver album.

Dio says he hasn’t spoken to Ritchie Blackmore since 1983

The band in the advert for Oxo that look like Dio are in fact Rainbow Rising (tribute band) but the "Shepperds Pie" song is sung by Bernie Shaw (Uriah Heep).

Neal Schon says he got JSS to be the singer in Soul SirkUS because he read so much stuff on the internet above how strong a singer he is.

Joe Lynn Turner says he’s working on a rock opera with "the people who did Queen's We Will Rock You theatre show". It’s about Gallileo and its called Stargazer. Plus he may be involved in a stage version of Brazen Abbot’s Nostradamus. Plus he may reform Mother’s Army.

Geoff Barton has done another great column, arguing that Deep Purple are a better band than Led Zep.

Geoff also interviews Frank Marino who says his new label want him to play the UK. YES!

John Norum’s new cd gets 7/10 with this comment "hits you on the jaw like a sucker punch from a kangeroo and cuts into you like cheese wire though warm butter"

JLT’s "Usual Suspects" gets 7/10 "Hard rock with a perfect balance of rawness and melody – reminiscent of Hughes/Iommi’s DEP Sessions".

Soul SirkUS gets 8/10. "Anyone expecting Journey style balladry will be sorely disappointed". "An album that could reignite the melodic rock genre".

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Mar-11-2005, 5:28 PM

USA

wolfysmith do you know if this magazine is strickly sold in the uk ? even though im in chicago i still have a hard time finding the music related things i like
Old Mar-11-2005, 5:48 PM

USA

Tony G -

Since Wolfy should be sound asleep at this time in Cannock I'll give you my answer.

Try the larger bookstores like Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc. I used to get my Classic Rock magazines at Borders. Then Tower Records built a store a couple of miles from my house and I started to buy them there. Now I just walk down the street to the mailbox to get it.........I finally caved in and just subscribed to it a few years ago!!

Chip

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Mar-13-2005, 5:17 AM

USA

thank you chip i have a tower records by me ill go check it out today thank you very much
Old Mar-13-2005, 9:41 AM

UK

Tony, if you cant find it at Tower - try www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk

It costs £44.99 for a 12 month (13 editions) Rest of the World subscriber like you would be. Will be sent Airmail to you.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Mar-13-2005, 12:57 PM

UK

I seem to remember many sour faces on here about the standard of knowledge of the early Classic Rock journalists. It now employs quite a few heavyweights, and while new talent is always a plus, I do think that the tried and trusted journos give the magazine some much needed credibility.

"Deaf" Barton I always find an entertaining writer. He can write the most complimentary and measured pieces like the interview with Glenn last month and then he can follow up with the most ridiculous but hilarious debate e.g. about Deep Purple v Led Zeppelin. "While Led Zepplelin were writing about ringwraiths, Deep Purple were still in the pub" Good harmless fun

Joe's old stories about Blackmore hating Gillan wear a bit thin with me I have to say. That one's been done to death and I just get the impression that Joe can't leave it alone. But it's good that the man's busy after HTP.

Anyway thanks wolfy. When Glenn is on Letterman, he can set the world to rights on a few ancient myths...can't wait
Old Mar-13-2005, 5:56 PM

USA

thanks for the info and link wolfy. yes i see your point keith. i hope that if glenn is on letterman he does get interviewed too not just go on and do only songs

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Share Thread

Tags
1983, album, Cannock, classic rock, Deep Purple, glenn, HTP, journey, London, related, soul mover, tour, uriah heep, Video