g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Polls & Questions? Here you can post polls for everyone to participate in or if you have general questions, this is the place to ask them!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct-21-2009, 3:06 AM

Belgium

Arrow Glenn's bass playing

The problem with Glenn being such a great singer is that his performances on the bass guitar don't get the attention they should. I think he is an excellent bassist and I always preferred him over Glover, though Roger is good as well.

I think some of his best playing is on Feel, you can really hear the bass on that record. What are Glenn's best performances in your opinion?
Old Oct-21-2009, 9:51 AM

USA

"Who Will You Run To" has always been a favorite of mine. I especially like the flow on that one
Old Oct-21-2009, 8:59 PM

USA

The bass is the glue that holds the song together and I've loved his playing since the early 70s, but I have to say that the playing on FUNK was not just great , but so pivotal to the entire ...theme/feel. My old bass player in my first good band told me a long time ago to concentrate on the bass parts when listening to music if you want to hear the colors of the other instruments or vocals more vividly, just like you sort of naturally do a bit more when you see a band live..and it makes the concept stronger. The concept of FUNK was definitely planned and thought out to feature monster groove playing. IMO
Old Oct-22-2009, 12:09 PM

Austria

To watch him playing live is better than any recording.
I'm not saying that there aren't any very special performances on record imo, but 'live' is the real thing.

Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Oct-22-2009, 1:52 PM

UK

Actually Chris I agree with that - not that the albums aren't awesome - but the live experience is really something else. I love Glenn's bass playing and have really turned onto bass - I went to see Richie Kotzen the other week and barely noticed his guitar solos as was listening to the bass! Glenn commands the stage - he drives the music with his bass and fills your ears with his sound, his voice, his gift! I find it hard to pick a favourite album or a favourite track - they all have their own special place!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Oct-23-2009, 8:10 AM

USA

I have been perplexed for years about the lack of kudos Glenn receives for his bass playing ability. He is truly a brilliant bassist, and I wish more people would listen and relish the brilliance. Across FUNK are dozens of examples of great bass lines, but, as Chris says, seeing the man live cements the position. Every time I see Glenn livehe makes me shake my head in amazement. While it is obvious he is a brilliant voice, the bass it don't lie.
Old Nov-03-2009, 4:29 PM

Canada

I agree that Glenn's bass playing has not been given much attention but when I first heard his bass lines on You Fool No One off the Made In Europe album I knew that he was more than just a fine singer.

Conrad's Sig:-Warmoth Purple Black Burst Strat
-Fender MIJ STM Yngwie Styled Vintage White Strat
-Fender Classic Player '50s Sunburst Strat
-Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Vintage White Strat
-Fender Highway One Sunburst Strat
-Ibanez JEM7VWH
-Ibanez Prestige BTB1206E NTF 6 String Bass
-Ibanez RG560
-Ibanez UV70P-BK
-Almansa A-413F Flamenco
-NK Headless Purple Blue Burst
Old Nov-04-2009, 5:20 AM

France

Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I agree that Glenn's bass playing has not been given much attention but when I first heard his bass lines on You Fool No One off the Made In Europe album I knew that he was more than just a fine singer.

totally agree with you.. I discovered Glenn with made in Europe album in 1982 and first it was his bass playing who was taken my attention.. absolutely extraordinary in my opinion.. I really had a flash with his voice on the first phenomena album in 1984..

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Share Thread

Tags
1982, 1984, album, albums, bass, glenn, guitar, track