g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep-12-2008, 9:13 AM

USA

Icon33 Hurricane Ike and Texas

With Hurricane Ike bearing down on the Texas Coast, I just want to remind everyone here to keep Susan and Roger and Collin in their thoughts while Ike heads towards Texas. This is potentially devastating to the area where they live.

I have gone through my share of these, and as good friends Kenny and Caroline and Kat can tell you from experience, this is NO fun. I am sure Bart has dealt with these in South Carolina and many of us have sen the horror that comes with these storms.

So I just want to let you know that you are in my thoughts during, before and after the storm.
Old Sep-12-2008, 9:49 AM

USA

They as well as all who live there are in my thougts and prayers.
Old Sep-12-2008, 5:23 PM

USA

Icon32

I just looked on a map and saw where Cut and Shoot, Texas is located. I see it's in the projected path of Ike....so Rogar, Susan, and Colin, keep the guitars and pooches high and dry. Good luck.

The same goes for fellow GHCP, Mark Hoffman in Houston.

Chip
Old Sep-12-2008, 5:33 PM

USA

I am at my in-laws in Normangee, Texas this weekend. Roger would not leave the furry children...so he is riding it out. I am actually still in the path...but a little further from the coast. We appreciate your prayers. Even where I am the winds gusts are expected to be up to 85mph. Roger may get 95mph winds at our home. I am praying hard that he and our pups will all be ok. This is going to be a long ride.

Much love, guys. Thanks.
Old Sep-12-2008, 7:15 PM

USA

Icon32

I just "talked" to Roger through an email. He said he's going to be listening to Glenn throughout this ordeal.

I can imagine the playlist....Black Cloud * Stormbringer * Rain On Me * Can't Stop The Flood * Walking On The Water * Ride The Storm.....

Be safe.

Chip
Old Sep-14-2008, 5:22 AM

USA

Icon33 Hurricane Ike affects glenn fans

Hi everyone....just wanted to let you all know that Hurricane Ike has really hit Texas hard and affected a few Glenn fans...

Many of you may know Mark Hoffman. He lives about an hour inland from Galveston (where the storm came ashore) and decided to stay and brave out the storm.

I was finally able to reach him late yesterday. He had two trees fall on his house and come crashing through his kitchen and computer room. That was right before the major part of the storm hit, so i assume he has a lot of water now inside his house. He was not injured.

Everyone is without electricity and may be so for some time.

I live in Galveston, and dont know what i will go home to. they are not letting anyone go home yet. I evacuated to the Dallas area. we may not get power for 4 weeks or longer they say.

This has just been a real tragedy... Please keep those affected by the storm in your prayers...

Bobby Gervais
Old Sep-14-2008, 6:21 AM

UK

Icon19

So sorry to hear of your struggle Bobby. And poor Mark. I can't pretend to know what you're all going through ...

I'm worried about Roger (strat335) and his wife Susan (TexasSusan). Susan and their son Collin had gone to stay with her parents in Normangee, and Roger stayed behind because he didn't want to leave his dogs. I left a message on Roger's cell phone last night, and on Susan's, and as she had not heard from him since 7.30 Saturday morning she was driving 'back home.' She spoke with Inma last night but nothing has been heard since. I understand contact will be seriously delayed for everyone but I'm waiting with bated breath. So many of you on here have already had to ride out these hurricanes in the past.

I am so, so lucky. I can only carry you all in my heart and prayers for the moment, and hope you can keep us updated on Mark and yourself x

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Sep-14-2008, 7:00 AM

Spain

Just talked with Susan briefly, Roger is ok, and of course she and Collin too!! but have no power
anyway what matters is they all are safe!!

Inmaculada's Sig:

http://www.myspace.com/inmaculada_gil
Old Sep-14-2008, 7:05 AM

UK

Just this second heard that Roger and Susan are okay - no power of course - but they're okay!!!

Again Bobby - keep us updated x

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Sep-14-2008, 9:12 AM

Spain

oh it seems we all were writing at the same moment!! cos your post wasn't here and couldn't read them when left mine!
Bobby, I do hope you are ok and Mark too, as Shirl said please keep us updated!!
all of you are in our thoughts!
xoxoxoxo

Inmaculada's Sig:

http://www.myspace.com/inmaculada_gil
Old Sep-14-2008, 9:30 AM

USA

thanks!

Thanks for your kind words.....good news.. I got what is probably the last two generators in the dallas fort worth area!

I had to go to the ghetto of fort Worth to get them, but at least i got them. They are running news stories that there are no generators to be found in the state of Texas right now.

yes, the other one is for mark.... we will try to make the trek home tomorrow, although i dont think i will be allowed back on Galveston Island yet...

sadly, marks computer room had a super rare Trapeze poster (envy envy)....if that is gone, it is a tragedy in itself..

all the best, and Roger and any other Glenn fans in the area, ....we should meet up sometime and talk glenn (and Ritchie, my fave banjo player...as if you couldnt tell from my screen name haha).

Bobby Gervais
Old Sep-15-2008, 7:41 AM

USA

To all you Texans I just want to say it is wonderful to hear you are physically OK. I remember going through these for years in Florida and even had a "meeting" of The Gulf of Mexico and Boca Ciega Bay in my living room one year, but was able to save everything inside. You will not be getting back to Galveston for a while, and may not like what you see when you arrive. Mark, I am so sorry to hear about the problems you are having, and to Roger, Susan and Collin I am just glad you are safe. Inma and I were 'Twittering' on Saturday trying to see how you were, and when she finally heard from all there was relief. Two of my friends from Houston who are with the Astros were also OK, but the Stadium was slightly damaged and getting to Milwaukee for last night was no easy task.

It is imperative that everyone remain calm, because these things take forever to recover from, just ask New Orleans and people who are still recovering for over two years.

I will be thinking of you all.
Old Sep-16-2008, 9:25 PM

USA

update

well i saw mark yesterday and dropped off the generator, so he will have lights and some power and be able to help his neighbours. He looked pretty stressed, as we all are.
I made it to the island today and it looks like New orleans after katrina, complete with search and rescue markings on the houses and all that. There is no water, sewer or power and they dont know when these will come back.

On the "positive" side, the water got up to five feet in the condo below me. I am on the second floor so my contents were intact. My beloved old porsche though was submerged and is toast.

Anyway, I am doing better than most, so i count myself really lucky. I can stay with my girlfriend up the road for now.
mark has two trees in his house to deal with....and major structural damage...so please keep him in your prayers still.

How are the rest of the houston folks doing? any word?

Bobby
Old Sep-17-2008, 5:32 AM

UK

Icon49

Thanks for the updates Bobby. Terrible shame about your car but much more enlightening to know that Mark and yourself have at least managed to get generators. Again, I can't possibly perceive what you are all having to cope with from thousands of miles away but I can hold you in my heart and prayers.

Old Sep-17-2008, 8:50 AM

USA

getting better

thanks Shirl! i talked to mark today and he said that the Trapeze poster is intact!!!!!!! woo hoo!!! it was the only wall still standing in his computer room and it was ok... so that is some good news.

thanks to everyone for your concern... this has been a real life changing event that i hope nobody has to go through.

all the best.

Bobby
Old Sep-17-2008, 5:20 PM

USA

i feel you ritchfan and will keep you and all of the people affected in my prayers.
i remember going through hurricane Hugo, back in '89. it was a drag and we went for weeks w/out power. but to show that there always is good w/ the bad, my daughter, Alex was born almost exactly 9 months later! i guees we had to do something while waiting for the power to come back on
peace,
Old Sep-17-2008, 6:53 PM

USA

Hi Guys--
Just logged on and saw the posts about Ike. We thought it would hit FL, Kenny & I were watching the weather channel 24/7 from our hotel in NJ. So glad everyone is OK. We really take so much for granted. Our last major hurricane was Wilma, we lost power for 2 weeks. We had no gas, hot water,lights,etc.We had to get canned food & ice from the community center where they had armed guards outside.Talk about a surreal experience. We know what you are going thru. When you think you can't take anymore, you will find the strength to get thru it. We would gladly ship our generator to you if need be. Its never been used , got it after that last nightmare. If anything positive comes from this, it makes you see your life differently and more appreciatively. Thats how i felt. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Carolyn & Kenny G
Old Sep-18-2008, 6:27 AM

USA

Back to work today and checking in right quick Bobby and Mark - glad you are ok.

We lost a couple of trees, but the house, dogs and family are all just fine. We still have no power or running water. I am starting to go a little crazy, but will stop by my dad's tonight for a shower on the way home. Collin is with me at work today.

It is not fun trying to keep the dogs all in water with no water pressure...just have to go by the store every day to get water...luckily water is readily available on the store shelves. Gas is not easy to come by...had to wait 1 1/2 hours in line yesterday. More and more gas stations open each day, though. Slowly, but surely...

And - by the grace of God - we had an early cool front in Houston!! I did say a lot of thanks for that.

And a big thanks to Shirl and Inma for keeping up with us!!! We love you all.
Old Sep-18-2008, 12:53 PM

USA

Let the healing begin...

My two sisters live in San Antonio and they are doing volunteer work to help out the people who evacuated to San Antonio...I have a friend whose family lives near Houston and I have been trying to get in touch with her to see if her family is OK.

Here's hoping all those affected by the storm will get back to a normal life soon...glad to hear that our GHCP's in that area will be OK.

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Sep-18-2008, 1:58 PM

USA

Icon32

Glad to hear that things are slowly coming around.

Roger... I tried to call you that Saturday evening to see how you were... and see how you're GH playlist was going Good to hear you had no damage to the house.

Chip
Old Sep-18-2008, 2:03 PM

USA

Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Glad to hear that things are slowly coming around.

Roger... I tried to call you that Saturday evening to see how you were... and see how you're GH playlist was going Good to hear you had no damage to the house.

Chip

Roger had his cell in his pocket during the storm while he was moving dogs around...it got too wet and is now not working. Gotta get him a new phone. LOL

Chip, you can call him on my cell if you want...all the same numbers, but the last is 1715 instead of 1722
Old Sep-18-2008, 4:30 PM

USA

Icon32

Yep...water and electronics don't mix very well

You guys fared well if the cell phone was the only casualty

Chip
Old Sep-19-2008, 5:34 AM

USA

Roger and Susan, so glad to hear you made it through OK. The radar images looked like the hurricane eye went right over your town. That had to have been intense! Hope the power is back soon.
Old Sep-19-2008, 7:55 PM

USA

Hi All! Thanks for your well wishes and prayers. I have reluctantly had to come back to work- so I at least have internet access! I am just totally over whelmed with the work ahead to get my home back to normal. I am working nights- and there sure isn't much I can do at home at night! Well...there has been a little beer drinking Still no power, we do have water now- but the lift station is full at the end of my neighborhood! (a stinky situation developing down there I had a tree go through my kitchen/dinette area, and unfortunetely -my computer room. Two huge pine trees were up-rooted by what we believe to be a tornado. It happened before the main storm hit. I pulled all 5 of my machines out before the ceiling fell in- My Glenn audio collection was in a rack mounted high on the wall right next to two of Fin Costello's shots of Mel in 72'- and the Trapeze poster that Bobby referred to- were all on one of the two walls that were'nt soaked. I hauled all my guitars out to the neighbors, and my Beatle collection was mostly in my bedroom, which only got water damage on the floor/carpet- so I'm doing good! I did loose some of my Kiss memorabealia- and the cards were damaged on my Black Sabbath/Ozzy matchbox car collection, but that's pretty good concidering how much junk/collectables I have in that house!

It's amazing how well people all unite and work together to survive these things- I've got some great neighbors. We've been eating well, drinking well and working hard. I'll bet Ken and Carolyn had experienced the same thing- life is good!

Thanks Again everyone!

Mark
Old Sep-22-2008, 10:27 AM

USA

Amazing how we world-wide GHCPs worry about our "family."
Come to think of it, I shouldn't be so surprised since we're all
a great bunch of people, huh?

I'm so glad that "our Texans" stood tall, to Ike.
(And that the pooches are OK, too.)
By comparison, everything else (things) can be replaced.

Take care, pardners....
And I hope that your lives get back to normal, soon.

Grace ~

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
GHCP, glenn, search, Trapeze, Twitter