g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul-28-2011, 10:01 AM

UK

Thumbs up I HAVE MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY!!!

Thank you mr postman for bringing me my amazing gift today

I don't even know how to start reading this! The quality is superb - I think I need to buy a pair of reading gloves and wash them every time I've finished reading a bit! Here goes!!!

Anybody else got theirs yet?

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to marieodonnelly For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-28-2011, 1:58 PM

UK

Marie,

Not yet! but I am hyperventilating with anticipation - hope it comes before I set off for Manchester!

I think I'm going to get one of those glass exhibition cases that they had at the Book launch!

mikey D
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to m.dowson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-28-2011, 3:49 PM

Austria

Originally Posted by marieodonnelly View Post

I don't even know how to start reading this! The quality is superb - I think I need to buy a pair of reading gloves and wash them every time I've finished reading a bit! Here goes!!!

so where you got it from amazon.de hasn`t got it so far
Old Jul-28-2011, 3:54 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
Originally Posted by purplelion69 View Post
so where you got it from amazon.de hasn`t got it so far

They're not referring to the Paperback ~ but the Signature and Deluxe editions...
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-28-2011, 6:48 PM

USA

Icon32

Originally Posted by marieodonnelly View Post

Yeah Marie, you wouldn't want to handle the book after eating fish & chips or a bag of crisps

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Jul-29-2011, 2:14 AM

UK

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Yeah Marie, you wouldn't want to handle the book after eating fish & chips or a bag of crisps

No way in the world Chip!

Having said that I red it all last ngiht before I went to sleep and had to keep buffi the pages after I'd read them! What a story and a half! You really do get the sense of this other person who is not the Glenn I know today and it's hard to see that both charachters are the same person

His addiction made him feel victimised by the rest of the world which made the habit worse, you feel the self loathing and you certainly raise your eye brows at one or 2 of the stories

The counsellor in me would have loved more details on the process of rehabilitation but then again most people want to read about the drugs history so I can understand that.

I think this has been very honestly written with remorse, regret and even though it is a serious book, you can pick up Glenn's sense of humour through it also in the way some of the lines are delivered, I did find myself chuckling at 1 or 2 points and had to tell myself off because actually the topic isn't so comical, it was just the way the lines were delivered.

Anyway I'm not going to give anything away, I wouldn't even red any bits aloud to Martin as I think it should be saved for when he reads it in full (if I allow him to touch the book after he has washed his hands several times).

So thank you Glenn, I love you more for the person you are today having been given such a vivid sense of the person you were, I'm so glad you beat your demon x

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
The Following 5 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to marieodonnelly For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-29-2011, 3:58 AM

USA

I received my book on Wednesday here in Texas USA. It is a beautiful work of art! The quality and craftsmanship of this book is like nothing I have seen in the past. Although it was a little pricey and took longer than expected, I am totally satisfied with my purchase.
Old Jul-29-2011, 9:38 AM

Austria

ah yep, i see, have to hang on for the paper-back cause i really would like to have such a fine thing but simply the financial crises doesn`t stop at austria`s border anyway, i`m happy tat there`ll be a paperback at all
Old Jul-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Spain

A bridge to far

I've bought pretty much every single thing Glenn has ever been involved in, and travelled all over Europe to see him live.....but I cannot go for the special edition. It's simply much too expensive. Don't get me wrong - I would have bought an expensive, quality hardback, but this is for people who are on a financially whole other planet. I'm glad there's a paperback coming out - but I just wish there'd been something in the middle ground for normal people.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Kev Moore For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Germany

A bridge too far for me as well

I have to agree with Kev. I was tempting several times over the last two weeks to buy a special edition, the personal hand written letter of Glenn even made me think of going for the luxury one. But then I pulled my legs back down to earth and ordered the paperback version. Several hundred dollars for a book with some goodies ain't just too much for me.

It's a real pity that there is no special edition for big fans with smaller pockets like a hand signed hard back version with a cd or poster for a price around 50-100 $. That would have been an offer I wouldn't have thought about twice...
Old Jul-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Spain

Yep

Geosoul: yeah, I'd have gone for that, no probs.
Old Jul-29-2011, 11:20 AM

UK

is this fate?

5.45pm tonight; I am listening to GH on Planet Rock via their 'listen again' facility and 'I don't want to live that way again' is being played.

There is a knock on the door and there is a courier carrying a large parcel.

THE BOOK has arrived!!!

It is an extraordinary work of art

mikey D
Old Jul-29-2011, 1:12 PM

zUKUSA

Here's Glenn backstage at High Voltage the other day; taking a look at his personal copy of his limited edition version of his autobiography, published by Foruli
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
BCC HV Book-1.jpg   BCC HV Book-2.jpg   BCC HV Book-3.jpg   BCC HV Book-4.jpg  
The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-30-2011, 3:58 AM

Germany

Thanked 1,384 Times in 791 Posts
My, how happy Glenn looks He has every right to be proud of his book

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
Old Jul-30-2011, 4:21 AM

Austria

Yep, took some time till history put him on the place he belongs !
Old Jul-30-2011, 5:23 AM

UK

My book arrived early this morning. I've got copy number six. It has taken a long time but the quality of it makes worth the wait.

If only it had arrived yesterday. I had a tweet from Glenn and an email from Carl saying that the BCC guys would sign it at the show in Glasgow last night. But it wasn't to be.

Marie: Great to see you again last night. But you know I'm really jealous. Marie's book was backstage last night for the BCC guys to sign. As I said to last night, Marie, it would be just my luck that the book would arrive the next morning, and it did.

Never mind, I'm sure I'll get more chances to meet Glenn and the guys in the future.

Ian

Ian
Old Aug-06-2011, 1:27 PM

Netherlands

Can anyone please let me know how many pages this book has on Glenn´s Sabbath-days? If I know the Sabbath pix are unique I will buy the deluxe edtion for sure. To me this is very important. Needless to say Im a massive Glenn era Sabbath fan

Can anyone help please ...
Old Aug-06-2011, 3:18 PM

UK

Arjen,

There are two chapters (or 'scenes' as they are called in the book) covering Glenn's Black Sabbath era. It's a total of 14 pages. I'm not sure if any of the pictures have never been released before, but there are a couple I haven't seen before, including one of Glenn with Ian Gillan.

There are two full band photos, one of Glenn with Tony, the one with Gillan, one of Glenn onstage with Sabbath and one of the label from a vinyl 'advance dj copy only' 45 of Heart Like A Wheel.

Hope this helps. It's well worth buying.

Ian
The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to icam26 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug-06-2011, 4:01 PM

Netherlands

... your post costs me a lot of money Ian, haha....no seriously ... Thanks alot. Will order the book sometime later this week
Old Aug-09-2011, 3:32 AM

Germany

Icon26

Hi folks, does anyone know, when the book is shipped out in german ?
Hope soon!!??

regards
Sigurd
Old Aug-09-2011, 1:47 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
Hi folks, does anyone know, when the book is shipped out in german ?
Hope soon!!??

regards
Sigurd

If you mean the Paperback edition - it is published the first week of November. The limited editions take some time to be individually made once the order is received, so somewhat longer delivery times.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Aug-09-2011, 2:12 PM

Netherlands

Arjen is very interested in the Seventh Star period! One of the best rock albums ever made, in my opinion. Arjan: this fall there will be and TONY IOMMI biograpy, with also a lot (I think) about that period with GLENN
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to willem For This Useful Post:
Old Aug-12-2011, 10:30 AM

France

The autobio is great, no cheat, just the true life of our hero

Thanks

Crystal Karma's Sig:LOVE U ALL from France

http://ghfrance.blogspot.com/
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Crystal Karma For This Useful Post:
Old Aug-14-2011, 1:54 PM

Netherlands

Originally Posted by willem View Post
Arjen is very interested in the Seventh Star period! One of the best rock albums ever made, in my opinion. Arjan: this fall there will be and TONY IOMMI biograpy, with also a lot (I think) about that period with GLENN

I ordered my copy already but honestly I dont expect too much of it since Tony Iommi never was much of a talker or mentioning anything (troubles etc) in the media. Also he seems to have forgotten the other era's other than Ozzy and Dio... I hope Im wrong ... we'll wait and see
Old Aug-16-2011, 2:47 AM

UK

Icon49 Life

I will so look forward to reading this book when the paperback is out there. In the meantime, I've been told that Keith Richards' book is awesome so will be buying that at the weekend. Any of you read that one? Can you recommend any other autobiographies (the only thing I do read really)? My favourite read (still) is Nikki Sixx' The Heroin Diaries.

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Aug-16-2011, 2:25 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
In the meantime, I've been told that Keith Richards' book is awesome so will be buying that at the weekend. Any of you read that one?

Shirl, good to see you're posting and to have you back in our midst again. No, I haven't read the Richards book so far, hope to get it for X-Mas. But I've heard it's good.

There even was a documentary in six parts around the time of the book launch:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBH9L6l2kg0&feature=player_embedded#at=40

Btw, I have the paperback "Deep Purple - The Illustrated Biography" written by Chris Charlesworth with some input from Jon Lord and Roger Glover. When I bought it back in 1983, I paid what would now be 16 Euros. Recently I checked amazon.de for it, it's being offered at 394 Euros!!

Should you ever find this at an affordable price, I can highly recommend it. Excellent document about the history of DP

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to lioness For This Useful Post:
Old Aug-16-2011, 3:43 PM

Germany

Yes, the book of Richards gets quite good critics. I didn't read a lot of (auto)biographies but some time ago the autobiography of Tina Turner was very interesting and touching to read: "I, Tina".
When I just googled a bit I thought that Tony Visconti: The Autobiography: Bowie, Bolan and the Brooklyn Boy might be good to read as well.
But I didn't trust my eyes when I just discovered the "biographies" of Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. Whaaaat? Crazy world.
I'm still waiting and very much looking forward for Glenn's autobiography...
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to geosoulberlin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug-20-2011, 11:26 AM

UK

Icon20

Thank you lioness and for the link - will watch that some time tomorrow. And thanks for the nudge regarding the DP book!

... and geosoulberlin ... thanks for the Visconti book link too. Read a lot of Bolan stuff over the years because I was a MASSIVE fan. This book does look really interesting

Can't speak for the young sprog Beiber, but love Lady Gaga ... though she's a lot more to do before writing her autobiography!?

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Aug-21-2011, 2:33 AM

UK

Originally Posted by lioness View Post

Btw, I have the paperback "Deep Purple - The Illustrated Biography" written by Chris Charlesworth with some input from Jon Lord and Roger Glover. When I bought it back in 1983, I paid what would now be 16 Euros. Recently I checked amazon.de for it, it's being offered at 394 Euros!!

Should you ever find this at an affordable price, I can highly recommend it. Excellent document about the history of DP

WOW! i bought this when it came out too and its still in excellent condition. not looked at it for years.

I also have Ian Gillan's autobiography Child In Time (1993) and this is now £35 on Amazon! This is a very open and honest account of his career up to that point (Battle Rages On)

The IG autobiography that came out in 1998 i haven't read but a reviewer on amazon says this

"It's a heartbreaking & very honest book - it's similar to the book that was released later on named "The autobiography of Deep Purple's leadsinger" - but it's NOT the same book. Some chapters has been changed, edited, altered and even removed. Some of the TRUTHS in this book, about his contribution in Black Sabbath for example and the way he let down the members of his band Gillan, has been changed or removed - it's all in this book, but not in the more recent "autobiography..."! Ian really take the lid of his private life and tells about the women, the weddings, the love of his wife and her struggle with him and against cancer, his daughter, the fans, the friends and musicians, the economy, the highlights and the darkness, Purple and solo..."

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Aug-22-2011, 2:33 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by wolfysmith View Post
WOW! i bought this when it came out too and its still in excellent condition. not looked at it for years.

I also have Ian Gillan's autobiography Child In Time (1993) and this is now £35 on Amazon!

Wow indeed, Wolfy, that's what I thought when I saw that hefty price. Didn't know what treasure I have.

I too have the Child in Time. Always wondered about the other autobiography, how it would differ. I'm sure I will buy that one day too when I find it at a reasonable price.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
1971, 1974, 1983, 1993, 1998, 1st, 2001, 2004, 2011, addiction, albums, autobiography, bands, book, glenn, glennhughes.com, history, solo, tour