g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb-03-2010, 12:32 AM

UK

David.

I see your point however i am actually disappointed that they are covering Medusa. Just want an album of fresh exciting new material with their own identity. I'm sure it will be a great version, just think they should leave it as is.

Hope that opinion doesn't upset anyone!

Paul
Old Feb-03-2010, 3:36 AM

USA

You can't compare Gary Moore or Kenny Wayne Shepherd (or anyone else) to Joe B. That guy is a prodigy, he's been playing since he was a little kid and has always been incredible. He's a musician's musician; an absolute expert on technique, tone, feeling and passion. I can't wait to hear the album.

I remember seeing a thread on this board one time ...and it was a link to Glenn singing Tarkus with Keith ...EL&P was a favorite of mine and I had just a glimmer of doubt, not of Glenn's talent, but of what he would sound like singing something like an EL&P song. I clicked on the link and fell out of my chair. And clicked and clicked and clicked and I'm still clicking on it. LOL Brothers and sisters, have faith. This will rock. It will be great when it comes out to the majority of those that hear it, and later everyone else will say it grew on them until it became something they treasure. I have a good feeling about it, mainly because everything I've heard from Glenn becomes something I can't do without.
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to strat335 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-03-2010, 3:47 AM

USA

I expect the album will be 'dedicated' to Mel......which is just as it should be! Wish he was still with us........
Old Feb-03-2010, 6:01 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
David.

I see your point however i am actually disappointed that they are covering Medusa. Just want an album of fresh exciting new material with their own identity. I'm sure it will be a great version, just think they should leave it as is.

Hope that opinion doesn't upset anyone!

Paul

I sorta' hear what your saying Paul, but do bear in mind this is just one song - it's not going to be a 'covers' album, trust me; so everyone is going to get what they want out of it - new, fresh songs, with a tad of the old, thrown in for good measure
Old Feb-03-2010, 12:37 PM

USA

Icon33

I kinda wish it was all original songs too. Although I suppose if there has to be a cover, at least it's something obscure to the average joe, and not a song like "Hush" or something.

Roger, you ever listen to any of the stuff Gary Moore recorded with Skid Row back when he was 16? Tasty...
Old Feb-03-2010, 1:58 PM

UK

I really can't wait to hear the new material and I think Medusa would be obscure enough to none Glenn fans to work. Is Medusa a hint of the flavour of what the new writing will be like?

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Feb-03-2010, 2:55 PM

Canada

Medusa could also be intended as a bonus track (perhaps for Japan?) so I am not alarmed at all.

Conrad's Sig:-Warmoth Purple Black Burst Strat
-Fender MIJ STM Yngwie Styled Vintage White Strat
-Fender Classic Player '50s Sunburst Strat
-Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Vintage White Strat
-Fender Highway One Sunburst Strat
-Ibanez JEM7VWH
-Ibanez Prestige BTB1206E NTF 6 String Bass
-Ibanez RG560
-Ibanez UV70P-BK
-Almansa A-413F Flamenco
-NK Headless Purple Blue Burst
Old Feb-03-2010, 5:01 PM

USA

we on here all the time might know the song madusa-(and like it)-but do you think the rest of the world does? i bet you all that everyone that buys the black country album wont -im waiting to hear it myself
Old Feb-03-2010, 7:24 PM

USA

Mixed feelings. Medusa has never been 1 of my favs. , but I know that G. likes it a lot, so I'm happy for him that he can play it if he wants to and spread some love and memories Mel's way. I'm sure it was really special in the studio w/ Joe playing Mel's guitar.

ALSO, I guess this is as good of a place as any to say that I am having a problem (nothing like world peace), but when I click on a thread I am not being brought to the 1st unread thread. If I don't pay attention or look, I'm missing some stuff. What about that David is it me , or you Oh yeah, and by the way, I think we should convert the old chat thread to a misc. musical nerd- type thing, such as I am looking for anyone who may have a copy of Billy Rankin, 'Crankin' Rankin'. Does anyone on here know Billy Rankin ?

thanks and peace,
Old Feb-03-2010, 8:09 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
Originally Posted by purplemusic View Post
ALSO, I guess this is as good of a place as any to say that I am having a problem (nothing like world peace), but when I click on a thread I am not being brought to the 1st unread thread. If I don't pay attention or look, I'm missing some stuff. What about that David is it me , or you

PM me if you're still having trouble, so as not to take this thread off topic!

But briefly, a thread is not a post....meaning if you click on a thread (topic), it will take you to the beginning of that thread. If you click on a post, it will take you to that post within a particular thread; such as from the forum home page, click on a post and it takes you directly to that post (which in most cases, is the latest post, within the given thread). PM me if you're still confused
Old Feb-04-2010, 10:05 AM

UK

Joe B I have followed since around 2005 so it's a bit like the feeling I had when Glenn joined DP from Trapeze. Yeah that good! Joe is not a mere shredder but a Feel man. Listen if you will to the complete songwriting ability on the Ballad of John Henry. As wolfy said, bringing strings into a blues song signals confidence:-
YouTube- Joe Bonamassa - Ballad of John Henry

and then compare that with the epic guitar fest, Pain and Sorrow

YouTube- Joe Bonamassa Band @ Tangier, Pain And Sorrow - Part A

It's like listening to two different players.

Totally agree with Forever Young and David here. No point in dragging a name to sell a few t shirts. It's about producing something new and relevant.

...and don't forget that Joe was inspired to play by the likes of Purple Mark Three and Four and Zeppelin so I am guessing that will mean that blues is not the only genre up his sleeve. Classical? Folk? Soul? Who knows?
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Keith Thompson For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Finland

Icon24

Hi...

like everyone's said Joe is great, Jason and Derek are awesome...Glenn is extraordinary...Medusa is fine...but I was really hoping all original new material...

...OK...if there's one cover tune...it will make journalists' work easier..."You know Black Country is like early 70's funk rock with a little bit blues in it..."

...anyway - loooking forward to hearing new music from Glenn...

From partly cloudy L.A.

T
Old Feb-04-2010, 6:40 PM

Australia

Icon35

Thanks for the video above, great tune!
Old Feb-05-2010, 5:19 AM

UK

Icon34

Iam sooooo... looking forward to this Album, have been checking Joe out and he is in the classic blues rock era but coming from a 30 something year old position. I am sure itS going to be a classic, great riffs, great hook melodies, cool vocals, exceptional playing. Best news from Glenn in years IMHO. This could go BIG !
Old Feb-05-2010, 5:31 AM

France

thank you for the videos !
Old Feb-08-2010, 4:42 PM

USA

I have to admit, I wasn't overly excited about the Hughes/Bonamassa pairing when I first heard it, mainly because I wasn't familiar with Bonamassa and I'm not a big fan of most blues players/music. But, after watching the videos on here, the guy can definitely play some raunchy blues rock, which I do like. And the more I watch these videos, the more excited I get about the potential of the band. Joe B. certainly can play and he's a pretty good singer, too. I think he'll write some great songs with Glenn and I expect a good dose of dirty groove rock when the Black Country album comes out...and I will be crossing my fingers for a club tour in the States!
Old Feb-09-2010, 5:32 AM

USA

Jon, I don't see any reason whatsoever that there wouldn't be a full on tour of the states. Joe is selling out theaters across the country now for most of his shows. He has a big and ever growing fanbase here. They will all come out to see anything this guy is involved in. Of course we will do the same with Glenn.

It is beyond exciting to consider how many new people are going to experience Glenn!!

I too have been really getting into Joe's stuff and he's incredible! I have all but one of his CD's and it's only been a few weeks! I have played it for friends and all of them are blown away! This is huge and it's exactly the right time and place. I can feel it!! This is going to be the stuff that we all love so much. The stuff you just don't hear anymore.

The talent of this band is beyond any of these other so called super groups. More importantly is that they are into real music and not what pop junk they can throw out there.
Old Feb-09-2010, 9:49 AM

UK

I'm going to see Joe in May in the UK which I can't wait for. My other half has already seen him live before and Joe and G together will be a fusion of awesome, especially throwing in Jason Bonham and Derek Sherinian! Wow, wow, wow!!!!! Bring on the album and tour!!!!!!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Feb-24-2010, 10:56 AM
paulxnicholson@btopenworld.com paulxnicholson@btopenworld.com is offline

UK

Hopefully we can expect a full British Tour and not only a few dates
This sounds like it will hark back to the Rock vibe of Trapeze
Its a pity that Glenn has put his Solo work on the backburner as a result

paulxnicholson@btopenworld.com's Sig:nicholp
Old Feb-27-2010, 12:52 AM

UK

I think it's a case of only 24 hours in a day Paul but I take your point. I think projects like this can fire up solo work though.
Old Feb-27-2010, 10:58 AM

USA

As a long time fan of Glenn and a big fan of Joe B. , I can assure you fine folks that these two are going to blow the roof off every venue they play in. Joe grew up feeding on the Rock that his dad loved and played. His life in the Blues genre has always been Rock based and he is a master of every style there is. Glenn has hooked up with a rising Rock God and the result will be quite tasty.

For those of you in SoCal, I would recommend attendance at the Riverside JB gig. Rumor has it that the encore just might include a taste of things to come

See you there.
Rick
Old Mar-05-2010, 3:42 AM

USA

It appears they can't use the name Black Country as it's already in use , read here :

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/joe-bonamassa-0303
Old Mar-05-2010, 8:57 AM

USA

well i think we all should just wait and see how it all plays out-
Old Mar-05-2010, 4:42 PM

USA

Coincidence?! The band claiming the name Black Country is from Washington D.C. and just so happens that Glenn is in the D.C. area this weekend..............things that make you go...hmmmm?
Old Mar-06-2010, 2:21 AM

UK

I spotted something about this when the name was first announced - and if it is the same band I'm sure they are BlackCountry without the space! Whoever they are - let me at em!!!!!!!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Mar-06-2010, 12:09 PM

USA

And from classicrockmagazine.com:

Bonamassa told Undercover:
Quote:
It (the name) jumped out of the gun. It got leaked inadvertently and it has spread like wildfire. It wasn’t anybody’s fault, it just got leaked. Somebody overheard a conversation. The definition of overhearing a conversation is putting it online and acting if it’s fact.

Did anybody not like the name? Sounded OK, but I wasn't totally excited by it. I guess it could be worse. Like calling yourself Chickenfoot
Old Mar-07-2010, 6:37 AM

UK

VIRAL!
Old Mar-09-2010, 5:30 AM

UK

Icon34

I quite liked Black Country it would be a pity if they couldnt use it.

Lets have some other ideas, how about Black Cloud or Medusa, both sound good to me and reference Glenns past.
Old Mar-09-2010, 8:42 AM

USA

Icon32

Originally Posted by IAIN View Post
I quite liked Black Country it would be a pity if they couldnt use it.

Lets have some other ideas, how about Black Cloud or Medusa, both sound good to me and reference Glenns past.

I think Christian and his boys would have a problem with the use of the name Medusa

Chip's Sig:Chip
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-09-2010, 3:11 PM

Austria

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I think Christian and his boys would have a problem with the use of the name Medusa

Nice one, Chip!

We may have put the band on halt for the time being, but MEDUSA is only sleeping, and we might wake her up again...

Cheers,
Christian

P.S. the Medusa album is still available at CdBaby...

(Commercial is over)

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
1st, 2008, 2010, 2015, album, albums, bands, Black Country, classic rock, cover, debut, foreigner, glenn, glennhughes.com, jason bonham, joe bonamassa, journey, organ, robin2, solo, solo album, tour, track, win