g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun-07-2012, 12:53 PM

UK

Icon34 Queen's Jubilee Gig Review

No sadly I am not talking about Queen featuring Glenn Hughes on Bass and vocals although I am pretty damn sure that would be one cracking combination.

I am talking about the Queen of England's Jubilee gig. Gary Barlow who, for non UK members, is the leader of a major English boy band called Take That - see NKOTHB or WGAS (Who Gives a ****). For some odd reason Barlow, like Ken Barlow from Coronation Street, has become a national institution. I prefer Ken humming La Traviata myself but hey, 'Sir' Gary played safe and assembled a veritable line up of the great and the good from Stevie Wonder to an in form Paul McCartney.

Thankfully the international heavyweights didn't let us down with Stevie Wonder taking the plaudits for a near faultless set. I say 'near faultless' as a roadie actually passed Will I Am a mic! I do like the Black Eyed Peas, so it actually hurts me to say that Will I Am cannot sing live. Or maybe he could if he rehearsed. But if you spend less time singing and more air time judging talent shows, you kind a lose it you know? I think Prince Will would have done better.

A word for Grace Jones. Wow scary man. Has anyone seen the Hoolahoop Set where she stands in her panties at the age of 64 whirling a ring around her waist while singing Slave to the Rhythm? Look it up on You Tube if you haven't. But do fast forward past the bit where the cameraman focuses in on the veins. Or at least don't play it if you are eating spaghetti. HD has its disadvantages.

Apart from that, opera, excellent animation during the otherwise formulaic Madness set and a nice anthem from old baggy eyes, Andrew Lloyd Webber assisted by the aforementioned Gary 'Ken' Barlow and it was a case of Job Done.

All we needed was a Mark 3 Reunion. More chance of Will I Am taking up the Queen vocal slot for the 2013 tour.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Keith Thompson For This Useful Post:
Old Jun-07-2012, 2:12 PM

Germany

Thanked 1,385 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith Thompson View Post
A word for Grace Jones. Wow scary man. Has anyone seen the Hoolahoop Set where she stands in her panties at the age of 64 whirling a ring around her waist while singing Slave to the Rhythm? Look it up on You Tube if you haven't. But do fast forward past the bit where the cameraman focuses in on the veins. Or at least don't play it if you are eating spaghetti. HD has its disadvantages.

Best performances were Robbie Williams and Tom Jones.
The 'Tiger' still is amazing!
(Even without dessous being thrown onstage... )

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
Old Jun-07-2012, 10:54 PM

UK

Best solo:
Joanne Shaw Taylor on "There must be an angel" (Annie Lennox)

(Pity about the wings!)

Ben's Sig:

Cheers,
Ben !!
Old Jun-09-2012, 3:39 AM

UK

What! No mention of Cheryl Cole!

What she was doing on it i'll never know. At least they dropped her performance from the highlights program the next evening

Elton, Stevie and Macca were the highlights for me. Tom Jones still has a powerful voice and Delilah was a great performance.

You're right about William. Cant sing but he's a judge on the the Beeb's The Voice so flavour of the month.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jun-09-2012, 11:54 PM

UK

Do you know I missed the fact that it was Joanne Shaw Taylor, Ben? I recall the solo by a female guitarist, but I had been distracted as to why Annie was striding around wearing wings and singing 'Angel' really slowly like it was an opera or a Cantata.

Wolfy, I deliberately left out Cheryl Cole because she is a talentless trollop in the first place and I dunno why people were surprised she couldn't sing without being sponsored by Roland autotuners or Loreal "Waaa wuthit gurls.' But Will I am Not? No such excuse.

Sorry lioness. I can't stand Robbie Williams. Tom was great as you say. Yep Macca, Stevie and Elton did the biz.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Keith Thompson For This Useful Post:
Old Jun-10-2012, 11:44 PM

UK

Macca was good musically, but his voice? Sadly gone.

Weissheim's Sig:cheers
John

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
013, 2011, 2013, albums, bass, glenn, solo, tour