g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Polls & Questions? Here you can post polls for everyone to participate in or if you have general questions, this is the place to ask them!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep-04-2005, 3:02 PM

UK

Lightbulb Mel Galley Information

Has anyone got any information about Mel Galley ?.

Ayesha
Old Sep-04-2005, 3:47 PM

USA

Icon33

Great guitarist! Mel was a founding member of Trapeze, and kept the home fires burning after Glenn Hughes left the band for Deep Purple. Mel later joined Whitesnake, where he played with a couple of Glenn's former Deep Purple band mates. In the mid-80's, Mel played on his brother Tom's Phenomena projects. This was not too long after an accident left Mel barely able to play guitar, after his fretting hand was crushed in what I believe was a skateboarding incident. Aside from a brief reunion of Trapeze in 1992-94, Mel hasn't done much other than those things I've mentioned. I'm not entirely sure, however, so I'll defer to my esteemed colleague, travel buddy and Professor of Trapezology...
CHIP!

Cheers...Todd
Old Sep-05-2005, 8:00 AM

Finland

Icon37 Mel's accident

...actually after very drunken night in a bar, Mel and John Sykes chased each other running...they jumped over one car (VW beetle if I remember correctly), Mel fell and John landed on his arm. Mel went to hospital and John went to world wide success....

...or something like that....DC explained this on that tour's bootlegs while introducing the band.

T
Old Sep-05-2005, 12:00 PM

USA

The version of jumping over a car is what I heard also.

Ayesha, Todd did a pretty good job in giving a brief history of Trapeze. Unless you get into the various line-ups of the band, sadly there isn't much to relate. Be sure to visit the Trapeze forum on this site. I'm sure you can piece together quite a bit of information on Mel from there.

Chip
Old Sep-06-2005, 11:27 AM

USA

Icon23 Mel's accident

Whitesnake had traveled to Germany for a tour in April of 1984. With an off night before the tour was to start, several band members went to a carnival to unwind. While walking back to the hotel, Mel and John decided to take a running start and jump over the hood of several cars in the car park. The drunken horseplay ended when Mel tripped and John, who was right behind him, stepped or fell on Mel's left forearm fracturing it in several places. There is a picture of Mel in the Trapeze forum taken of him while he was in the hospital just after the accident; the numerous sutures on his forearm are clearly visible.

Apparently the pins and plates used to set the bones caused some sort of infection resulting in the nerve damage to his arm. The brace, referred to as "The Claw" allows him to play guitar. The story goes that when DC saw Mel wearing the brace for the first time he is alleged to have remarked; "You can't go on stage wearing that..you'll look like a spastic!" But perservere Mel did, going on to play with Phenomena, MGM and the various Trapeze reunion gigs.

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Share Thread

Tags
1984, 1992, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, history, Mel Galley, tour, Trapeze