g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Purple Days Talk about shows, setlists, albums, share your memorabilia...past and present.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec-27-2011, 2:03 PM

Netherlands

Icon32 Most under rated Purple albums??????

Which Purple albums do you think are under rated and still very good. These albums are hidden treasures. As it is the end of the year and a time for lists: Here is my TOP 3 under rated pearls:
-Who do we think we are (with the superb Mary Long and Rat Bat Blue).
-House of blue light (with Bad Attitude, Call of the Wild and Strangeways).
-Abandon (with Don't make me happy and Seventh Heaven).

In fact I play these albums more than In Rock, Machine Head and Perfect Strangers.
These pearls ROCK
Old Dec-27-2011, 8:31 PM

USA

Purpendicular and Fireball are among my favorite albums Deep Purple has released. Truthfully, I rotate most of the band's albums through my iPod at some point or another, adding or removing them from time to time. I truly love all eras of the band, and the various offshoots it has produced in Whitesnake, Rainbow and the assorted solo projects. I don't think a more diverse and talented family tree exists for another band.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to toadsterama For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-29-2011, 3:51 AM

UK

Underrated by "the Critics" but not by me :

Battle Rages On - As good as or better than any of the so called Classics. Take a listen to Ramshackle Man and tell me Blackmore isn't enjoying himself! Not one weak track and a real shame they didn't go on from here rather than RB leave. I saw them at the infamous NEC show on the tour where RB missed half of Highway Star and threw water over the cameramen.

Perpendicular - loved it when it came out and still do.

Abandon - see above.

Who Do We think We Are - so much more than just Woman From Tokyo

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-29-2011, 4:40 AM

France

- Battle rages on (for Time to kill, Solitaire, Ramshakle manand of course Anya and title track)

- Fireball (with Fools, No one came, Anyone's daughter and No, no, no)

- Stormbringer of course (Highball shooter, Holy man, Hold on, The Gypsy and so on..)

I think Purpendicular is considered not so bad isn' it ?
Old Dec-29-2011, 2:34 PM

Germany

Thanked 1,384 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormbringer74 View Post
- Battle rages on (for Time to kill, Solitaire, Ramshakle manand of course Anya and title track)

- Fireball (with Fools, No one came, Anyone's daughter and No, no, no)

- Stormbringer of course (Highball shooter, Holy man, Hold on, The Gypsy and so on..)

I think Purpendicular is considered not so bad isn' it ?

Seems our taste is much the same!

Salute - presently watching the "No One Came" clip from Hamburg last year

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
Old Dec-30-2011, 9:46 AM

France

Old Dec-30-2011, 11:11 AM

Germany

I partly agree to the above but not in everything, of course Tastes are different, luckily

Most underrated albums ...but in my opinion amazing records:

- Fireball
An incredibly versatile array of songs and you can really feel how much they were trying new things, reaching out to different musical areas and enjoying themselves. "Noone Came" is one of my alltime DP faves anyway and so is "Anyone's Daughter".
- Masters & Slaves
I can really repeat what I said in the thread about "underrated DP formations".
Even quite a few people will disagree to this, but I quite liked the MkV incarnation. Maybe because it somehow sounded as if they continued where they stopped with Rainbow and yes, it sounded more like Rainbow as DP but that doesn't mean it was a bad album. It has amazing songs on it and if more people would stop their pigeonholing approach to everything and everyone, they would clearly see this. This album has incredible music and is a joy for every AOR music lover. One can like JLT or not, but he has always been a top notch singer to me and a witty and smart guy when you talk to him as well.
Old Dec-31-2011, 6:58 AM

France

oh yes.. i forgot Slaves and masters

with this amazing songs.. Cut runs deep, King of dreams, Fire inthe basement, Truth hurts and Fortune teller...

and on this album this is the return of a melodic Ritchie !!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Stormbringer74 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-01-2012, 5:30 AM

UK

I like Slave and Masters too. I think King of Dreams is a fantastic song. Like the other songs mentioned above, especially Fortuneteller, and add Breakfast in Bed.
Old Jan-02-2012, 12:10 PM

NewZealand

"Fireball" and "Who Do We Think We Are" are both great albums loaded with great tracks! 'House Of Blue Light" also has some cool songs, eg 'The Spanish Archer", "Bad Attitude", "Mad Dog" "Mitzie Dupree" .....
Old Jan-03-2012, 2:12 PM

Netherlands

I agree to some of you that Slaves in Masters is indeed a very good album. I fact Joe Lynn Turner is the most under rated Purple singer ever. I like his voice (rock with soul). He is a superb singer
Old Jan-03-2012, 11:26 PM

NewZealand

Originally Posted by Gatman View Post
"Fireball" and "Who Do We Think We Are" are both great albums loaded with great tracks! 'House Of Blue Light" also has some cool songs, eg 'The Spanish Archer", "Bad Attitude", "Mad Dog" "Mitzie Dupree" .....

I guess I really should have mentioned 'Stormbringer' and 'Come Taste The Band ' also. I forget that they probably don't get the full credit they deserve. Both brilliant albums, and far superior to 'House Of Blue Light'. Sadly nowdays I just can't stomach much stuff from the 80's, although I do think 'Perfect Strangers' was a great Purple album from that era.
Old Jan-04-2012, 4:13 PM

USA

Icon33

Slaves & Masters sounds very much like a Rainbow album for good reason - 3/5 of the band (JLT, Roger Glover and Ritchie) members were in Rainbow! Slaves & Masters is a natural successor to Bent Out of Shape, I suppose, although I think Bent Out of Shape is better.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to toadsterama For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-05-2012, 2:44 PM

Germany

Amazing - and at the same time quite shocking - how many DP albums have made it into the list of "most underrated"!

Fireball - underrated??? Mentioned in the same post with "Slaves and Masters"!

Honestly, that gives me the creeps!

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
Old Jan-06-2012, 3:10 AM

France

the problem is that for many people Deep Purple is just In rock, Machine Head, Burn (not sure for this one) and Perfect Strangers...
Old Jan-06-2012, 3:25 AM

Bulgaria

@toadsterama: JLT, Roger Glover and Ritchie are not only 3/5 of the band, but also 3/3 of the songwriters of both bands (DP '89-'91 and Rainbow '80-'83)

About the main topic:
If we assume, that well rated DP albums are all MkIIa & MkIII albums plus Perfect Strangers plus Purpendicular, then the most underrated DP albums are:

- Come Taste the Band (well rated here, of course, but not so much by the ordinary Purple fans);
- The House of Blue Light (Bad Attitude, Unwritten Law, Mitzi Dupree);
- Deep Purple '69 (Blind, Lalena, April).
Old Jan-06-2012, 7:54 AM

Germany

I better don't go into what some of your posts give me at times...

Stormbringer74, you nailed it That's pretty much as it actually is.
Il vaut mieux en rire qu'en pleurer...
Grand bisous ..

Katy
Old Jan-07-2012, 6:45 AM

France

Originally Posted by Katy View Post
Il vaut mieux en rire qu'en pleurer...
Grand bisous ..
Katy

absolutly right !

Big kiss too..
Stormy
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Stormbringer74 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep-14-2012, 2:30 AM

Australia

the battle rages on definitely a classic, the band play brilliantly and the songs are outstanding
Old Sep-16-2012, 11:16 AM

Netherlands

Most underrated at the time of release was CTTB
Although I was a fan for years I loved it from day one.
It's up with In Rock, Machine Head and Burn.

Also deeply underrated is Who Do We Think We are, but I think it's great.

The ones I don't like very much are Slaves And Masters and The Battle Rages On
Old Dec-29-2013, 5:22 PM

Belgium

Who Do We Think We Are?

Stormbringer
Old Feb-07-2014, 5:47 PM

UK

I am just in the process of rediscovering "Come Taste the Band". This is a fascinating album and comes from a line-up of the band that was together for less than a year. This is such a shame because I have watched and listened to quite a bit of stuff recently from this line-up and we see a real evolution in the band, they were really starting to spread their wings and experiment in new and exciting ways, I love the vocal interplay with David and Glenn, you had David's more gruff bluesy sounding voice contrasting with Glenn's higher vocal range reminiscent of Ian but with it's own unique character - I personally think Glenn hit the higher vocal ranges more comfortably than Ian did, Ian tended to screech a bit in the higher vocals whereas Glenn could reach that high but he was still singing rather than screaming, both were good I hasten to add but different. Of course with Ritchie leaving the band the guitar sound was not only going to evolve but the song writing as well with Tommy contributing along with Glenn and David.

I really would have loved to have seen what this band was capable of had it been given time to settle down and truly get comfortable with each other. I personally think Jon and Ian's decision to call it a day with this line-up was premature and ruined what could have easily turned out to be Purple's best and most stable line-up. I can see with hindsight why Jon and Ian felt the need to take that decision but I also think that had the pressure been eased a little bit then maybe it wouldn't have happened. There's no doubt that Purple were badly overworked by management at that time and that undoubtedly hastened the end of the band, if they had been told ok take six or twelve months off and then come back then they would have come back stronger and better than ever. Also, there was no doubt that Ritchie was the main motivator behind the line-up changes, he simply get's bored and has to have a change (look at Rainbow - I have no idea how may different people played in Rainbow over the years, I doubt even Ritchie knows) and with Ritchie leaving the band it may well have entered it's most stable period ever had it been allowed to continue. Yes Ritchie leaving was a shock initially but what it did allow was the band to start to develop musically in a way it hadn't before. The process started when David and Glenn joined and would have culminated with Tommy joining, all they needed was a break IMHO.

Anyway, that's my rather long winded thoughts on the subject. A golden opportunity missed.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Richie-Richards For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-08-2014, 12:57 AM

Germany

Hey Richie, i agree in many many cases.
If you hear "Life at Long Beach" you hear a exploding band with a brlillant Tommy Bolin. That guitar sound with this overdriven Hiwatt with fuzz and echoplex is unreached. My absolutly dreamsound.
The keyboard sounds from Jon Lord in this period were ultraspacy freaky and experimentive.
I think CTTB was the most modern sounding Deep Purple album ever!
And i'm never gettin' tired hearin' it.

greets
Sigurd
Old Feb-13-2014, 6:03 PM

UK

Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
Hey Richie, i agree in many many cases.
If you hear "Life at Long Beach" you hear a exploding band with a brlillant Tommy Bolin. That guitar sound with this overdriven Hiwatt with fuzz and echoplex is unreached. My absolutly dreamsound.
The keyboard sounds from Jon Lord in this period were ultraspacy freaky and experimentive.
I think CTTB was the most modern sounding Deep Purple album ever!
And i'm never gettin' tired hearin' it.

greets
Sigurd

Thanks I'm really glad I'm not the only one thinking what an awesome line-up this was. I often find with albums that take me a little while to get into that they last longer and I tend to keep growing with the album and I keep discovering new aspects that I hadn't noticed or appreciated before. I'm finding that with CTTB, I just keep growing with it. I'll never ever get bored listening to Machinehead, it's one of the finest rock albums ever made, but I don't know if am I ever going to learn anything new about it that I didn't know before. With CTTB I keep finding new aspects that I wasn't aware of before, it's brilliant.
Old Feb-15-2014, 2:59 AM

Germany

Originally Posted by Richie-Richards View Post

There's no doubt that Purple were badly overworked by management at that time and that undoubtedly hastened the end of the band, if they had been told ok take six or twelve months off and then come back then they would have come back stronger and better than ever.

Yes, it's common knowledge now that Purple was badly driven by their management.
However, even a hiatus of a year would not have helped the band to regain their original strength as Tommy was dead by then.

Btw, the Japanese "Young Guitar" magazine has all three Purple axemen on the March title. Hard to get by, even harder to read
Anyway, awesome cover

http://trinkelbonker.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/deep-purple-big-in-japan
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
youngguitar.jpg  

The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to lioness For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-17-2014, 8:38 PM

NewZealand

Slaves and masters a good work and soulful vocals from JLT but it has a Rainbow sound in it.

Shades of deep purple: it didn't have it's full reputation as a strong starter for a band.

Come taste the band: a lot of purple fans look at this album with disgrace really.

storm bringer: Ritchie has left after it was released.

BANANAS
: a really good record really despite not being a huge fan of purple after 1994.

hughes/thrall_rulez's Sig:
From now on....

\m/
Old Feb-17-2014, 8:40 PM

NewZealand

I listen to come taste the band to death, I like it that much really.

From now on....

\m/
Old Feb-17-2014, 9:44 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
Originally Posted by hughes/thrall_rulez View Post
Come taste the band: a lot of purple fans look at this album with disgrace really.

...none that I know
Old Feb-18-2014, 1:42 PM

NewZealand

Originally Posted by David View Post
...none that I know

Oh, I forgot to elaborate on my point here,sorry. I mean at the time of its release a lot of fans really didn't like it ! and many of them were upset due to Ritchie's absence. Even now, some purple fans don't consider CTTB a real, proper purple album!, especially for mark 1 or 2 lovers. I mean hush or smoke on the water lovers especially back then more than these days. Thanks a lot David and I hope that I elaborated well on my point.

From now on....

\m/
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to hughes/thrall_rulez For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-14-2014, 10:58 PM

France

for sure who do we think we are ;not good as machine head but gillan is on top and some great songs :
mary long
rat bad blue
woman from tokyo
and yes painted horse

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Share Thread

Tags
1994, 2014, album, albums, bands, book, cover, glenn, guitar, smoke on the water, solo, tommy bolin, tour, track, woman from tokyo