g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Polls & Questions? Here you can post polls for everyone to participate in or if you have general questions, this is the place to ask them!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-08-2003, 11:41 PM

UK

Lightbulb Brookdale - what happened?

Someone posted the following on the board over at www.pattravers.com but if it's true I'm astonished that none of you guys who were there mentioned it.

"Got to meet Glenn Hughes & Alex Ligertwood during sound check. Brookdale sound system failed, the guys from Wishbox did everything they could to make it work, Hughes was not a happy camper!

The show started late because of the sound system problems. When the show started Robin McCauley came out and 6 MSG tunes, KILLER..

Then Alex Ligertwood came out and did a few tunes, what a voice, then Glenn Hughes came out and did 2 songs and said F*** this and walked of the stage,not to return.."

So what really happened?

TC

Old Jun-09-2003, 4:13 AM

USA

In a nutshell?

1) Crap venue & support staff, i.e. security
2) Crap sound system

Security would not have been necessary had a certain element of the small crowd not been there. Some guy made himself known during the first singalong section of Robin McAuley's set. When Robin put the mike out over the crowd, this guy grabbed it and pulled it down to scream into it. Then he kept motioning for Robin to pass the mike back to him on the next chorus. A-hole.

When Glenn came on, not only could he not hear himself singing, but this guy was offering to sing FOR Glenn. What?! Then he just stepped onto the stage, grabbed the mike and started singing Mistreated. Glenn took off his bass and left. These circumstances were entirely out of hand. There was no one to remove the a-hole from the stage, and the cumulative effect of these several negative factors killed any chance of a salvageable set from our man GH.

I think all of us wanted to leave Brookdale ASAP. Glenn was just the first to act on it

Of all of us who were there, I don't think any of us begrudge him a bit. See my other post under the Voice Of Rock at Coach House thread at GH.com.

Coach House was fantastic. Brookdale was not even on the map. (Both literally AND figuratively!)

Cheers...Todd

Old Jun-09-2003, 4:16 AM

UK

Thanks Todd

If it's OK with you I'll go throw this in the pot @ pattravers.com....

Having given it some thought, I'd like to think I'd have been as understanding as you! I know it was the A-hole's fault, but I suspect (much as I love Glenn) I'd have felt a bit cheated - esp if I hadn't seen him at the Coachouse as you already had.

All academic for me of course as I'm in the UK (LOL)!

TC

Old Jun-09-2003, 4:23 AM

USA

Oh my god....when I said smaller than La Vee Lee....How right I was!!! You could concievably do the same thing at La Vee Lee....but it's run by Russians and I think they wouldn't tolerate any BS. If I was there I would have taken the F**er out myself. In the words of Loffler's in Anaheim's soundman Rick Morley, I leave you with these words:

"GET OFF THE STAGE GOMER!!!!"

JH
Old Jun-09-2003, 5:42 AM

USA

TC, without a doubt people were disappointed. And you're right - the sting isn't quite as bad for Chip and me, because we got to see the first show at the Coach House. But please also know that, after the fact, Glenn spoke personally with those of us who made the long trip out there. He expressed his own disappointment with the way things turned out, and offered gestures of good will to many of those affected.

From the misrepresented facilities the venue had to offer to the shoddy organization behind this particular show, Brookdale was just not meant to be.

Cheers...Todd
Old Jun-09-2003, 6:45 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Just wanted to echo what Todd has said....couldn't have put it better myself.

To give some of you an idea....the place was for the most part, on par with the Station Hotel in Dudley and the Voodoo Lounge in Bayside, New York - we even shared our room with some not so tiny creatures....

But also want to reiterate....it was still a very enjoyable time...how often do you get to meet up with like-minded friends, old and new...and especially in the presence of Glenn. The Internet is a great thing...but it doesn't replace good old fashioned face-to-face gab time

It was another 3:00am bedtime for all of us - how Todd and Chip got through it I don't know - three 10 hour drives are brutal. Ahhhh, what it is to be young

Bright an early Sunday morning some of us managed to hook-up with Glenn over breakfast, so that made a great start to the day. As I stuck to my usual tea and toast....Glenn, Shirean and others scoffed down bacon, gritz and pancakes!! I'd be asleep at the wheel with that lot in me....and yes, Shirean was in the land of nodd not too much after we headed out!!

Anyway, looking forward to the next GHCP mini-convention! Some how we'll have to get some UK'ers and others involved....here, there, wherever, eh
Old Jun-09-2003, 8:07 AM

UK

I copied your post across Todd. As it happens, the guys (Scott & Jo) that made the original post have commented to clarify a bit:

"Glenn hughes told us during sound check he didn't think the show was going to happen."

They were celebrating their wedding anniversarry but say they had a good night anyway.

TC
Old Jun-09-2003, 3:19 PM

USA

I agree David, it was "still a very enjoyable time" hanging with all the Glenn fanatics & besides Robin & Alex played excellent sets. For some of us The Mushroom Festival is still fresh in our memories anyway, was Glenn on that day or what! So all is OK, & I will be picking up the new CD Tuesday.

Rick
Old Jun-09-2003, 3:21 PM

USA

Hello World--
Just thought we'd throw our 2 cents in. As for the Brookdale show, this is something that Glen cannot take the blame for. Horrible sound system for him,even GH himself was trying to correct the sound for hours before the show (we watched him). The soundman from Brookdale didnt have a clue what he was doing.
If there was security around, we surely didn't see them. As always, after this incident, GH was so upset, he just wanted to air his feelings to us, and really wanted to go out of his way to make it up to us. Yes, he was pissed off, but at the same time upset for all of his fans who came there to see him.We traveled from South Florida to see him, but we totally understood. A nice guy and a real human being.
We also fled the Brookdale before we could be abducted by aliens.....
Old Jun-09-2003, 3:32 PM

USA

Top Cat, I can understand your "astonishment" at the fact no one attending had mentioned what happened at Brookdale. Glenn was so upset over the whole ordeal, and had been all day, that out of respect for him is why I didn't mention it. Glenn was really concerned about what his fans would think of him, especially those of us who had traveled there. I don't think any of us were rushing home to post about the negative things that had happened.

I'd like the send a big Thank You to Glenn for giving us the time and personnal attention before and after the show. We all had a really great time. I mean, sitting across the breakfast table with the man himself, is that cool or what?
Old Jun-09-2003, 4:49 PM

USA

Glenn, could you please pass the salt?

Todd

PS Kenny, could you please email me? toadsterama@msn.com
Old Jun-09-2003, 4:51 PM

USA

Another thing is......I play in several bars and nightclubs in Orange County.....several of them have very good security....including my local club JT's I play here in Whittier. I've watched fights get broken up very swiftly by these crack security teams.....a few judo like wristpins and headlocks, then shove the loser out the back door and it's over folks with no lasting injuries to anybody. Same thing if the jerks try to get onstage. So why should a lowly coverband artist like me have more security than Alex, GH and Robin....that's not right. What a bunch of BS!!!!

JH
Old Jun-10-2003, 2:29 AM

UK

Which all goes to prove that Glenn's nearly as cool as his fans.... LOL!

TC
Old Jun-10-2003, 3:13 AM

UK

Shirean, pancakes and you didn't save me any?

Horrible sound system but breakfast with our man versus great show but no breakfast (put the salt back Todd it's not good for you!) - I'd be over the moon with either situation. Full marks to you all for not mentioning the disappointment due to the sound system, etc until you had to. Just wish some of us UKers could have been there, don't we boys and girls?

Thanks for the great photos and of course keeping us so up to date with events.

Two more gigs in June and two in August then please, please, please tell us he's coming here.
Old Jun-11-2003, 5:15 AM

USA

It sounds like it was awful for all of you who were there! That's too bad. I know it must have really bothered Glenn too, just from the couple of times I have met him, he seems like that kind of guy. Better luck with the next show!!

Kat

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Share Thread

Tags
bass, David, events, GHCP, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, Shirean