g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Sell It / Trade It

Sell It / Trade It Got spare gig tix, x-tra copies of a CD and want to sell some? How about a Trade, haggle away here!!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb-27-2003, 11:16 PM

UK

Aerosmith Tribute

I'm after one track actually, rather than a full album. What I would like is Joe Lynn Turner's version of "Let The Music Do The Talking" from the Aerosmith tribute CD. If anybody can help me out, please mail me at jamesgaden@hotmail.com and we'll start talking!

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Old Feb-28-2003, 7:14 AM

USA

Gee, are you SURE you don't want that Jeff Scott Soto version of 'Crying', too?! It's worth it....

Cheers..Todd
Old Feb-28-2003, 10:28 PM

UK

Damn, you're right! I'd forgotten that was on there as well to be honest. The mp3 soundclip I'd heard was pretty special. So, thanks Todd, let me rephrase my original post....

I'm after TWO tracks actually, rather than a full album. What I would like is Joe Lynn Turner's version of "Let The Music Do The Talking" from the Aerosmith tribute CD, and JSS version of "Crying". If anybody can help me out, please mail me at jamesgaden@hotmail.com and we'll start talking!

thanks
JG

Old Mar-01-2003, 10:07 AM

Norway

James, you have mail.
Old Mar-01-2003, 11:42 AM

USA

Be sure to check out the intro's of Let the music do the talking and Devil's Road....

Intro's
Old Mar-02-2003, 3:23 AM

USA

I'm listening to the Aerosmith tribute as I type this. The cd is worthwhile for Glenn's verion of "Kings and Queens" and, even more so, for Doug Pinnock's phenomenal vocals on "One Way Street." Other than that, the rest is pretty generic stuff.

JLT's song is alright, but JSS....I just do not understand the fascination on this board with that guy. He is decent, but he pretty much sounds like every other singer. Very good range, but no personality or individuality at all. His voice does not stand out, and the song he does definitely shows he is no Steven Tyler as far as putting their "stamp" on a song, as Hughes and Pinnock were able do.

These same opinions go for the Floyd tribute as well - Hughes and Pinnock stand out, the rest listenable, but ho-hum.
Old Mar-02-2003, 4:35 AM

UK

Well Jon, I can't speak for everybody, but my fascination with Jeff is as follows. I heard him sing covers before anything else, and I was very impressed with how well he handled material from a variety of VERY different singers....Steve Tyler, Freddie Mercury, Ronnie James Dio, David Coverdale etc. Every time JSS did a great job, you knew it was him but he pretty much delivered the songs note for note. That impresses me.
I guess it's all down to what you want from a tribute album. I'm guessing you prefer it when an artist delivers a song THEIR way, regardless how the original goes, much like Glenn does. You know straight away it's Glenn singing. Jeff approaches the song by emulating the original, much like JLT does. All down to preference I guess.
Since then, I checked out some of JSS's solo work, and as I mentioned in my posts about "Love Parade", that album funked me up quite by surprise, and Jeff does a wide variety of vocals on there, even singing "4 U" in a Prince style falsetto. There's much more to him than tribute albums.

JG

Old Mar-02-2003, 12:38 PM

USA

James, I guess that is the way I look at it. Soto does have a good voice, but I guess I just like to hear originality, rather than a note for note cover, like JLT's "Undercover" cds do. While that stuff is ok, too, I would rather hear the artists interpretation of a song rather than just hear how much they can sound like the original. I mean, in that case, I would rather just listen to the original 95% of the time. But I really did not mean to seem like I was slighting JSS or JLT at all - both are good singers. Its all a matter of preference I guess.

Most of the tributes that Glenn guests on tend to be pretty generic, note for note renditions. Overall, I prefer something like the Ramones tribute that came out last month - diverse artists doing their interpretation of the songs. Granted, it doesn't always work, but when it does (like the Red Hot Chili Peppers version of "Havana Affair"), it is awesome. Yeah, I know its funny to link the Ramones to Glenn Hughes, but I have diverse tastes!
Old Mar-03-2003, 5:28 AM

USA

I'll have to throw my two cents in regarding Jeff Scott Soto. What I find so appealing about him is the same variety that James spoke of. The tribute albums are not a very good measure of what Jeff has to offer. The covers he's recorded on his own projects are much, much better. The Floyd tribute, especially, was a waste of Jeff's time. (That's OK, the last Queen tribute was a waste of Glenn's time.) Jeff is a master at layering and arranging vocals, much like Queen. He has phenomenal range, put to good use on recordings by hard-rocking Talisman or acoustic-based Ku De Ta.

Jon, I think you would form a more generous opinion of what Jeff has to offer if you heard more of his music, including some better covers. If you would like to email me your address, I'll be happy to put together a compilation for you. Not a trade or anything. I'd just like to send you a JSS sampler to whet your appetite.

Cheers....Todd
Old Mar-03-2003, 9:29 AM

USA

Todd,

I'm not one to turn down an opportunity to broaden my musical horizons. Thanks for the offer. Email me at jlamb60@comcast.net.

PS - I agree about the Queen tribute. I loved Glenn's version of "Get Down Make Love", but extremely disappointed in "Killer Queen", which is possibly my favorite song of all time. I try to listen to Glenn's version every few months hoping it will click, but never does!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Sell It / Trade It

Share Thread

Tags
album, albums, cover, David, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, solo, track, win