g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar-30-2002, 2:43 AM

USA

HTP in new Classic Rock Magazine

The HTP disc gets a review in the new Classic Rock issue (no. 39th).

Malcolm Dome gives the disc a only 2 stars.

I re-checked the name of the magazine...yep it's still called CLASSIC ROCK. But I don't understand....HTP is SEMINAL Classic Rock!!! Made by the guys who practically invented it.
Conclusion: Malcolm Dome, and Classic Rock for that matter, lost the plot in a big way.

Glenn is featured in this magazine almost every month!! Judging from the other DP related articles I scanned they sell a lot of copies of their magazine on the Deep Purple name & fame.

They let Deep Purple off lightly with a favourable review for a bad show!!....Remember the guys have not produced new music in almost 5 years!!

Glenn Hughes is riding a creative & professional HIGH..but doesn't get the recognition for it!!
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
AlbumReviews_HTPinnewClassicRockmag.jpg  
Old Mar-30-2002, 6:55 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,491 Posts
££

Payola is unfortunately alive and well - it seems Dome didn't get any green stuff for this review as he and his rag are accustomed to!

This is the same Dome that not just a couple of months ago was kissing Glenn's arse when talking with him and JLT on Dome's TotalRock.com show. It only goes to show that without the $$$ in front of 'em they're as bent as the regular music press.

And watch, the upcoming Jerry Ewing interview for the same rag will no doubt sing Glenn's praises - I guess we shouldn't be too surprised!

I'm just glad Shirean and I cancelled our subscription to this thing quite a while ago.
Old Mar-31-2002, 12:41 AM
schreinermusic

It´s really a shame

It's really a shame to read the article in Classic Rock.
I would like to ask the writer of this article, what HE did expect?
Did he expect something like Limp Bizkit sound or what? The statements of Glenn and Joe BEFORE doing this album were quite clear, they said it would gonna be a classic rock album in the style of the old DP and Rainbow ect. and not a mirror of these two artists in what they do TODAY.
Why does this journalist look down on this wonderful piece of work and comment it like that?
I'm really not sure about the intentions of such a critique.
Very strange anyway.

Peace, Achim
Old Apr-01-2002, 2:44 AM

Can't believe the review!!!!!!!!!

Malcom Dome i'm afraid must be losing his musical judgement.
I don't know how he could down this album.
On The Ledge ,he has totally ignored amongst other songs!!!
I give him zero stars for his review.

Cheers...
Pete
Old Apr-01-2002, 2:48 AM

UK

i did'nt log in

i was too angry!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers...
Pete
Old Apr-01-2002, 5:17 PM

USA

I said I wasn't going to read it but I did anyway. The review is very contradictory within itself. It says in effect that there are weak moments without mentioning them, then it mentions that the album is also vibrant and better than anything Joe and Glenn have done recently. Make up your mind!!!! He never really mentions specific songs that don't work, or cites examples of what he is complaining about. His statement that it's a mystery that each singer does one ballad is also preposterous, and has no real merit. So what if GH and JLT do one song each by themselves. Whocares???? The songs are great. And lastly he states that it fails to spark but I thought he said it was vibrant???? What the hell does he mean? Ride the Storm, Devil's Road, On The Ledge, You Can't Stop RR, do these sound like F990880king Air Supply Songs???? Don't they contain enough energy???? It's fine if someone doesn't like something but this moron never CITES SPECIFIC EXAMPLES OF WHAT HE DOESN'T LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnH [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by JohnH on 02 Apr 2002 at .]
Old Apr-01-2002, 11:08 PM

Finland

Odd!

And strange! How this is possible? Anyone who understands and listens classic rock cannot dislike HTP. It's seems that this guy is working for a wrong magazine.

He claims that two strong singers are just too much for one album. And in the end he writes that the guest guitarists on Can't Stop... and Heaven's Missing... sound breathtaking. What the *uck?!! Doesn't Hughes and Turner sound breathtaking? Damn sure they do! Few guitar solos are nothing compared to these singers. (It would have been enough for me, if J.J. Marsh played all the solos.
He's as good as the other guitarists on this CD.)

...But who cares? You can always put HTP on your player and listen to the greatest rock songs of 2002. Classic Rock mag. sucks anyway.

-J-

Visit www.jahola.com
Old Apr-03-2002, 2:00 AM

Classic Rock has been a joke for a long time

This is the same publication that slagged BTM because Glenn was too vain in their view!

Glenn responded with a letter and their response was something pathetic as usual.

I used to subscribe but cancelled it at the beginning of the year due to their childish and worthless comment.
Old Apr-03-2002, 3:26 AM

USA

If someone has the editor's email address I would like to directly send my letter to him. I did get two other CR journalists' address from James, but would like the direct email. Please post it here.

Thanks!!!!!

JH
Old Apr-03-2002, 6:55 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,491 Posts
Email addresss...

Here 'ya go...

Mick Wall, Editor of Classic Rock is at mick.wall@futurenet.co.uk.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
2002, album, classic rock, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, HTP, press, related, Shirean