g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Unofficial Releases

Unofficial Releases Mostly poor sound quality, but occassionally really good - let's get your reviews and recommendations on what's available out there.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-05-2003, 12:54 AM

Finland

Glenn and The Beatles

Morjens,
just quick note before leaving to Sweden Rock to see Ws....have you folks noticed that Glenn sings one line of the Beatles in SITKOR...????

best regards,
T
Old Jun-05-2003, 9:37 AM

USA

Baby, You're a Rich Man. Unfortunately, it is just about the only thing I like about the SITKOR cd.
Old Jun-05-2003, 11:34 AM

USA

Enjoy Jeff Scott Soto and Talisman (and our own Howie 'SATAN' Simon) at Sweden Rock Fest, Tero.

Cheers..Todd
Old Jun-05-2003, 11:21 PM

UK

Jon - I'm interested in what you don't like about SITKOR. Tell us more? (I have some reservations myself, but not as strong as yours sound!)

Cheers

TC
Old Jun-05-2003, 11:44 PM

UK

I'm interested in both yours and Jon's reservations to be honest Top Cat. I resisted the urge to write a review of my feelings about SITKOR (I think there's enough full blown reviews around and people here are more than capable of deciding for themselves rather than take my word for it) but I really like it.

I think it's a much stronger effort than BTM. Glenn sounds great and all I can complain about is I think "Written All Over Your Face" is a bit too long. I know it's meant to be an epic track but that's just my opinion. I'm not sure about "Change", but the Euro version replaces that with the much stronger "Secret Life" so that sorts that out.

What do you guys dislike?

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Old Jun-06-2003, 4:01 AM

UK

Hi James

It’s certainly not ‘dislike’, for me. Just reservations. To try to make sure people understand what I’m saying I’ve written a rather rambling review which I’ll post in a minute in a more appropriate thread.

And as a matter of fact, I think my reservations are fading – I'm unlike a lot of people in that I tend to 'connect' with an album on first hearing if at all. It's beginning to look like SITKOR is an exception to the rule!!

What think you Jon?

TC
Old Jun-06-2003, 9:14 AM

USA

I guess its just a matter of taste. I just don't find the cd to be interesting in the least. It isn't bad, but I just know I am not going to listen to it very often - I feel the same way about it as I do R.O.C.K. BTM is kind of the same way - its pretty good, but... Very few of the songs the past couple years have had both a strong verse and a strong chorus - they sound like decent song ideas that were hastily finished up. I also don't care for the overly "dry" sound of the latest cd.

Let me put it this way, if those albums were sung by anyone else, I would not give them a second listen. Glenn's voice can make a mediocre song good, so pretty much anything he does is decent because of that fact. I listened to "The Way it Is" the other day, and, even if you don't like the style, the songwriting is much stronger and original and the production is top-notch. Maybe because he took more time to do it. I suspect Glenn has been too prolific nowadays. He can write enough songs to put out two decent cds a year, but I think if he took his time, he could put out a great cd every couple years. Few bands can write 30 great songs a year, so that is no knock on Glenn.

But, I appear to be in the minority - everyone else seems to love it. I guess I just want something different. More melody and funky grooves, though I did like the first HTP much more than I anticipated. Maybe HTP II will be enough to cure my Hughes fix for 2003, since SITKOR did not hit the spot for me. And there's always 2004...and the eternal hope for Hughes/Thrall II!!!
Old Jun-06-2003, 3:17 PM

UK

At the risk of soundimg patronising, I can see where you're coming from on this Jon. Although I don't agree about BTM (love it) or HTP (it's only OK/pretty good for me), it is very unusual for me to have to 'get to like' a Glenn album.

The comment about Glenn's voice lifting songs is dead right too, but maybe I'm lucky because repeated listens did (for me) reveal some of that sparkle I didn't see at first...

Maybe what's just nagging me a bit is that I feel Glenn has a (some?) better album(s) inside him. I suspect you feel the same (but maybe more so).

Aren't reasonable discussions of stuff like this great?

Come on, I know the European release isn't out yet, but more opinions as soon as poss please! David? Shirean? Ad? Roberto? Shirl? Grace? John H? Chris? All the other regulars? Does everyone exceptme & Jon love it unreservedly? Is everyone disappointed? Has no-one got it?

For goodness sake, it's what we've all been waiting for for months (at least)!

TC
Old Jun-06-2003, 3:50 PM

USA

Yeah, Top Cat - I think we are pretty much on the same wavelength here. I just think Glenn can do a lot better. A lot of the vocal melodies have gotten too predictable lately, especially the hard rock stuff. BTM is a good cd, I didn't mean to sound negative about it. "Feel" and "The Way it is" are great - both have a lot of diversity and originality in the songwriting and melodies. I understand that Glenn does the harder rock stuff because that is what sells the best for him. I'm sure it is frustrating for him when he puts out a cd of songs more in the style that he really wants to do and it doesn't sell well (like BTM or TWII).

When "The Way It is" came out, my dad and I were remodeling my kitchen for a month, and pretty much the only cds we listened to the entire time were the Steely Dan box set and "The Way It is". My dad never really heard any Hughes stuff, but he loves that cd, but nothing that Glenn has done since. He thought TWII was the best new music cd he had heard in a while - vocals, songwriting, everything. And it really is a great cd - too bad more people didn't appreciate it.

So, that is the basis for my negativity towards SITKOR. Its not a bad cd at all, but my expectations are a lot higher. I think there was a time nearly a decade ago when we were all thirsty for anything from Glenn, so the more things he did (solo cds, tributes, guest spots, etc) the better. But now, my appetite for all things Hughes is sated, and I would like to see Glenn take the quality over quantity approach and play whatever type of music he really wants to do and see what turns out. I am sure I would have no disappointment in the results of that. On a positive note, a pretty good Hughes cd is still a lot better than 99% of the stuff being released out there!
Old Jun-07-2003, 1:54 AM

UK

Hi Top Cat - I've gone through the reviews with a fine toothcomb. You guys certainly get deep and meaningful, eh? I'm one of the few who have to wait until Monday to buy it!

I'm not one for thorough breakdowns of each song anyhow - like any solid relationship/friendship , you take the good with the bad - heard clips and like what I heard, so if I feel strongly about any particular song, I'll be sure to let you all know. I'm particularly biased, as anywhere Glenn's voice is heard instantly lifts up my soul.

Lost a friend's son in a drowning incident a few days ago, so will bounce back on here soon ...
Old Jun-07-2003, 6:39 AM

USA

After reading your posting, all of us would like to offer our words and prayers to your friend, for the recent tragedy.......

Take care, Shirl.

PS... As of Saturday afternoon, I still don't have a copy of SITKOR yet.
Old Jun-07-2003, 12:19 PM

UK

I, for one, second the words of sympathy - can't imagine what it'd be like to lose my boy (19 months old).

You'll love the album Shirl - Glenn is in fine voice - sure to lift you!

I've always dissected and intellectualised music like this... I know it's probably a sign of madness and not everyone's style! It just seems natural to me because music's such an important part of my life.

TC
Old Jun-08-2003, 1:46 AM

UK

Thanks for the words - he was nineteen. Checking things out on here from time to time helps as I'm amongst friends. Heaven was missing an angel, as Glenn would say. Enough.

And no, Top Cat, not a sign of madness at all - yours and others' reviews show your dedication to our man.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Unofficial Releases

Share Thread

Tags
2003, 2004, album, albums, bands, David, GHPG.net, glenn, HTP, Hughes/Thrall, Shirean, solo, track, win