g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug-10-2004, 1:38 AM

Finland

8th Star...

Hello,
found this from Black Sabbath mailing list:

IOMMI/HUGHES: Official Version Of 'Eighth Star' Will Be Significantly
Different

The Tony Iommi/Glenn Hughes album recorded in 1996, heavily bootlegged as the much in demand "Eighth Star" (not the project's
official title), will be quite markedly different to the version currently on the underground market when it is officially released through Sanctuary Records later this year, according to RockDetector.com.

Strengthening the BLACK SABBATH connection is bassist Neil Murray,from the "Headless Cross", "Tyr" and "Forbidden" eras, who revealed
his participation recently. "I spent one afternoon replacing the bass on two songs, one of which only had to be replaced because Tony Iommi had altered the riffs used in the song, or the original Glenn Hughes bass track would have been used," he said.

It is commonly known that Don Airey, himself a man with BLACK SABBATH connections and now a member of DEEP PURPLE, supplied some of the
keyboards on the record. However, also involved in the sessions was BLACK SABBATH keyboard veteran Geoff Nicholls.

The biggest change though is a complete overhaul of the originally recorded drums. In 1996 former JUDAS PRIEST man Dave Holland put down all the percussion work. However, Jimmy Copley of TEARS FOR FEARS, the PAUL RODGERS BAND and a colleague of Murray's in M3, has re-cut the drum tracks.

Neil Murray has been active on the live front both with M3 and performing six days a week in the blockbuster West End stage musical
of QUEEN's "We Will Rock You", a role he has been engaged in for well over a year now.

...really interesting stuff...and I'm really looking forward to hear Glenn's and Tony Iommi's new collaboration...I think Tony and Glenn were THE strongest guitarist-singer pair that has ever excisted!!! Even stronger than Page/Plant or Dio/Blackmore...

T
Old Aug-10-2004, 2:22 AM

beam

Old Aug-10-2004, 5:00 AM

Finland

eh eh eh...

T
Old Aug-10-2004, 5:16 AM

Netherlands

I don't think anyone expected this record to be released after all. I wonder what the title is going to be? Will they stick to the bootleg title 'Eighth Star' ??
Old Aug-10-2004, 10:16 AM

simply "iommi"

Old Aug-10-2004, 4:25 PM

China

Isn't "Iommi" the title of Tonys previous solo CD? It seems strange he would use the same title again.
Old Aug-10-2004, 6:38 PM

USA

I think Roberto was jesting
Old Aug-11-2004, 8:28 AM

Old Aug-11-2004, 1:08 PM
schreinermusic

Anyway, good news! Not many people were expecting that this actually could happen.I always thought that the "8th Star" material has been one of the strongest work that Glenn has ever put down.
Basically, Tony and Glenn are coming from very different corners, musically.But let's call it "magic" how they obviously fit together.
Good news for all GH fans and for all classic rock fans as well!

Good week for all, Achim

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1996, album, classic rock, Deep Purple, drums, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, solo, track