g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre > Audio

Audio Got soundbytes, past or present? Place them here!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct-07-2004, 10:20 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Icon34 Kerrang Radio broadcast Oct.8th 2004

This morning GLENN and Tony Iommi were hosting the UK based, Kerrang Radio broadcast, Legends.

As well as a brief interview, they also played some of their favourite classic and legendary rock songs.

Here is the initial interview prior to the main broadcast - more to follow
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 MediaCentre_kerrang100804-preinterview.mp3 (1.42 MB, 12 views)
Old Oct-07-2004, 11:20 PM

UK

Glenn Hughes as DJ! Is there no end to this guy's talents? Well worth a listen if only to find out that Bowie wrote the classic Golden Years while sitting next to Glenn in his house. Just a snapshot maybe, but it gives an insight into why Glenn felt it was logical that the Purps should get into that groove. Funk was very popular worldwide and all sorts of artists were moving into that sphere of influence and making it their own e.g Bowie, Talking Heads. Yep interesting.
Old Oct-07-2004, 11:32 PM

UK

Thanks so much for that both! I was only thinking last night that Glenn's here in the UK but where? I was supposed to catch a train at 8.30 but couldn't miss this so made my excuses.

The first thing I heard when I put on the radio station at 8.05 was Ugly Phil (the DJ) saying "never mind the Sabbaths and the Purples" so presumed I'd caught the latter end of a welcoming thread for Glenn and Tony, who Ugly Phil kept calling "Tommy".

Glenn and Tony were introduced briefly just before 9am, a Sabbath song was played though sorry, I don't remember which one (oops!) and the inevitable Smoke On The Water and then their "Legends" session began where they (in turn?) had their favourite five songs played. It tickled me to hear Glenn occasionally introducing the radio station and asking folks to text them with their questions.

First up was Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' with Glenn mentioning that they are both friends of Brian. Next was the Rolling Stones' 'You Can't Always Get What You Want,' I think Tony's choice.

Tony was asked if he had created Dio's career, to which he replied that "certainly joining Sabbath had helped", although I did miss the first few words of his answer.

Next song was Cream's 'I Feel Free' and Glenn describing them as a great power trio. I'm not technical at all but all the songs, certainly through my PC speakers, sounded as if they were being mixed - you know, guitars over here, vocals over there (told you I wasn't technical). Jack Bruce sounded as if he was singing from the bottom of a well.

Straight into Guns 'n' Roses' 'Paradise City,' which surprised me. A question sent in by text was asked by Tony - "You've been singing for over thirty years now - how do you keep your voice in such good shape?" Glenn: "No cigarettes or alcohol, no dairy, cutting down on chocolate, yoga exercises and warming my voice up for an hour each day." Glenn mentions his Higher Power, and which he says he could talk about for hours.

Next up was Hendrix's 'Hey Joe' and a comment of "a legend who died before his time". Pearl Jam's 'Jeremy' played straight after that, another surprise but a welcome one from me as I LOVE this band.

Glenn then asks Tony - "What was it like working with Dave Grohl?" Tony: "He wore me out". (laughter) "A very talented artist & drummer, guitar player". Introduced next was David Bowie's 'Golden Years' and Glenn mentioning that when David lived at his home in Beverley Hills he was literally next to him when he wrote that song.

Another text sent in and Glenn asks Tony - "What do you think about Ozzy becoming a TV celeb?" Tony: "Weird". "I wouldn't like to have cameras on me twenty four hours a day", and comments that Ozzy is now known to people who wouldn't have otherwise listened to his music. Tony introduces Led Zep's 'Communication Breakdown' with "a pity John Bonham went too early".

Glenn plays his "jingle" again and mentions that he's staying at his folks house and Tony of course lives in Birmingham, and informs us all that they have a record out "The 1996 Dep Sessions" and mentions that Tony went back to the Dep Studios at the beginning of the year ... something about mixing with Mike Exeter (sorry, missed that bit when I answered the phone! 'I'm Gone' was played. Now THAT's what I want to hear when I switch on a radio!!!!

Then ... nothing from Glenn or Tony ... no goodbye from Ugly Phil just straight back into the radio show.

Phew! Now I've got to rush around and get a late train!

'There's a light in the distance, and a voice that cries freedom'
Old Oct-07-2004, 11:51 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts

Here is Part 2 - an edited down version of the broadcast where Tony and GLENN played some of their favourite tracks.

5 songs were chosen, interspersed with others and one from The 1996 DEP Sessions.

BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid
DEEP PURPLE - Smoke On The Water

QUEEN - Bohemian Rhapsody GH Pick

ROLLING STONES - You Can't Always Get What You Want

CREAM - I Feel Free TI & GH Pick

GUNS'N'ROSES - Paradise City

JIMI HENDRIX - Hey Joe TI Pick

PEARL JAM - Jeremy

DAVID BOWIE - Golden Years GH Pick
LED ZEPPELIN - Communication Breakdown TI Pick
TONY IOMMI & GLENN HUGHES - Gone

Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 kerrang100804-legends.mp3 (10.65 MB, 8 views)
Old Oct-08-2004, 1:02 AM

UK

Shirl

Why were you surprised that "Paradise City" was played? Tony wrote that riff after all ("Zero The Hero")!

cheers
John
Old Oct-08-2004, 2:27 AM

UK

Hey David,

I was going to report The Padma has reopened but i guess its a bit late now that Glenn is over here. I passed a big American pickup truck type thing heading to Cannock on the way to work a couple of days ago - registration number 5 GH. Anyone we know?

"It's in my blood"
Old Oct-08-2004, 6:04 AM

UK

No mind-blowing reason John, I just expected something more off-the-wall, I guess...

Oh yes, and of course the track played from the Dep Sessions was 'Gone' not 'I'm Gone' as I incorrectly stated this morning - think my head was rushing for the train but my body was still at the PC!!

'There's a light in the distance, and a voice that cries freedom'
Old Oct-08-2004, 11:21 AM

Ireland

Many thanks for putting here, I couldn't make it on time either, so was happy to see it here.

It was great to hear the Bowie story, there must be many more like that.....maybe one day

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre > Audio

Share Thread

Tags
1996, 2004, Cannock, David, Deep Purple, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, Pix, smoke on the water, track