g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Keepin' Time

Keepin' Time Are you a songwriter or musician influenced by Glenn and his music? If you'd like to share your own musical compositions with us - you can do so here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov-29-2010, 1:05 PM

Austria

Icon47 Christmas Crush

Quote:
Authentically arranged Christmas Classics, played in the style of all your favourite Sixties and Seventies Classic Rock bands!

For a little more than a year I have been playing in a covers only power trio called THE CRUSH with two renowned musicians from the local music scene. Our goal is to bring back classic Rock music of the Sixties & Seventies (and a few selected back catalogue surprises) as authentically as possible, sometimes stick close to the original, and sometimes wholly differently arranged - remember, it's only a three piece...

Late last year, the idea was born to record an album of classic and traditional Christmas songs in the style our favourite bands would have played them, or so

Here's the story:

Quote:
It all began on Christmas Eve! Well, almost... It actually happened a few days earlier in December 2009 when THE CRUSH were preparing a set of classic Christmas tunes. They rehearsed in Wolfgang's living room, coffee and cookies on hand. Their musical arrangements for their first Christmas Crush show at Adriana Zartl's Hudri-Bar were practically all traditional. However, some of their songs that night stood out, going down a storm. THE CRUSH had somehow managed to make them sound as if they were classics from the Sixties and Seventies! And so, Christmas Crush was born. It was decided to develop upon the idea and turn it into a whole album. Adriana Zartl - just as she performed at the original show - also guests here. Our gratitude to: Deep Purple, The Who, Steppenwolf, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley, Cream, Led Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers, The Rolling Stones, Iron Butterfly, Status Quo, The Beatles and Pink Floyd. THE CRUSH would like to dedicate this album, our little baby - which actually took nine months to come to full fruition - to Adriana's yet-unborn baby son. Enjoy the ride. Peace on Earth.

Christmas Crush was released on November 5th both as a physical CD and digitally as a download (worldwide).

It's available from CDBaby (US and worldwide), iTunes (worldwide), amazon (worldwide), and all major retail outlets all over Austria.

For your listening pleasure, I have attached a few soundbytes - hope you like them! Should be great fun to guess which bands and which songs have inspiored those tunes!

And when you have time, why not visit our official website (in German) or our facebook / myspace pages and say hello when you're there!

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to chrisloeb For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-11-2010, 4:14 AM

UK

i just got the cd and really like it. very clever use of "familiar" riffs and melodies.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-11-2010, 6:32 AM

USA

I just got mine in the mail yesterday - four days from Austria to Idaho - not bad!

Like Wolfy said, it's a clever collection of familiar riffs that blossom into Christmas songs. If you don't cheat and read the acknowledgments, you can test your knowledge of bands of the era by guessing the songs and bands to which The Crush is tipping its hat. Nicely done, Christian (and co.)!

For those of you interested in these kinds of mash-ups of songs and styles, you might be interested in the December People album of prog-influenced Christmas tunes (a la Kansas, Yes, etc.), or something like Black Sweden which mixes ABBA with the likes of Metallica and Van Halen.

Cheers!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to toadsterama For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-11-2010, 8:00 AM

USA

yes

it will be mine soon mein herr
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to tony g For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-11-2010, 8:42 AM

Austria

Thumbs up Thank you!

THANK YOU!
Your kudos and feedback is most appreaciated!
Looks like the album has turned out as intended
Glad you like it!

Cheers,
Christian

P.S.
Since the December People have left clues in their liner notes too, we thought it'd be only fair to do the same!
Funnily enough the idea for Christmas Crush was born before our guitar player even knew of the December People's album.
Oh, and I love the Black Sweden CD, still even have the Promo EP too...

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Keepin' Time

Share Thread

Tags
2009, album, bands, classic rock, guitar, styles