g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Media Centre Interviews & the Press; pictures, video & soundbytes.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-17-2003, 2:29 AM

UK

SIKTOR review in Classic Rock magazine

Classic Rock magazine have two articles on Glenn in the new July issue.
One is a half page interview with picture entitled “Get the funk out!? on him growing his hair long and getting back to a rock sound. The other is a review of SITKOR as follows:

Another year, another Glenn Hughes album. And there he is, pouting away on the sleeve, a grown man who perhaps really should know better by now. And what is it this year? The ultimate Glenn Hughes album he’s been promising to make since…… God knows? If he didn’t have such a heaven sent voice you’d sometimes wonder how many bridges he’d have burnt by now with critics still prepared to give him that one more bite of the cherry.
Yet of late Hughes has started to be true to his word. 2000’s “R.O.C.K? had a steely intent, and, while we’ll pass over last year’s collaboration with Joe Lynn Turner, “SIKTOR? delivers the goods in style.
If the title suggests that Glenn’s rocking big time, as indeed he is, it equally pays homage to his love of funk with the titular similarity to Stevie Wonder’s “SITKOL?. There is a wonderfully funky swagger to this material, which also is the closest to his Deep Purple days he’s yet managed. It may not sell millions but it works, and that’s the important thing.

**** out of *****

What is it about this mag that it always wants to have a go at Glenn before they always go on to praise him? I seem to remember that HTP got a pretty mixed review by them. They gave more space to other bands this month that had nothing good said about them. Metallica got a full page review and full page picture for St. Anger but it got 2 ** and finished with "Metallica disappoint with 74 minutes of unfettered hell-for-leather nonsense"!
Old Jun-17-2003, 3:32 AM

UK

Classic Rock is a total waste of time. The regulars on here know my feelings on this rag, so I won't reiterate to heavily. Basically, Glenn and JLT automatically get 3 out of 5 before the album has been played, and it's a miracle that this got 4.

Lets analyse some of these "points" shall we? Almost the entire first paragraph is made up baseless opinions and a hilarious comment about critics "...still prepared to give him that one more bite of the cherry." I've yet to see any journalist give Glenn a real break.

ROCK is mentioned, and it's like BTM never existed. Then there's the "while we’ll pass over last year’s collaboration with Joe Lynn Turner" comment. Yes, lets skip over this hapless record. No redeeming features on that disk whatsoever. Who in their right mind would want to sing with JLT anyway?

Then we finish with a final paragragh that manages to tell you absolutely nothing about SITKOR. The "description" of what the album sounds like could fit anything after "From Now On". Not a single track is mentioned, no comment about JJ's playing. Hey, who's this Jeff Kollman character who's on board?

This magazine is truly pathetic. Only "name" bands get full page treatment, and real talent like JLT, Glenn, Jeff Scott Soto et al are reduced to space filling columns. I've used this example before, but when they "reviewed" Roger Taylor from Queen's last solo album, the idiot who wrote the piece said "there are parts on here that remind you this is the man who wrote 'Radio Ga Ga', but there are other tracks that tell you, at the end of the day, he was just the drummer."

Yeah. Drummers aren't musicians are they? Please take my advice and stop buying this feeble publication. It's not even any good as toilet paper (it's too glossy). You want to read about talented bands without any predujuce? Go to melodicrock.com. It's faster, more up to date, far more factually correct and Andrew gives REAL criticism. Classic Rock is fast becoming what it said it would never be....another Kerrang! And that can't be a good thing.

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Old Jun-17-2003, 4:21 AM

UK

Well said. (Got my 'to the point' hat on now James!)

TC
Old Jun-17-2003, 4:45 AM

UK

Much better TC! It was my turn to talk!

JG

Old Jun-17-2003, 5:00 AM

USA

Well, at least they ended up giving it a good review, and that, after all, is the important thing...
Old Jun-17-2003, 6:04 AM

USA

This was a PROFESSIONAL review?????
Like people get PAID for writing this????

What the hell does Glenn's hair length have to do with anything in an album's review?
(So if Mozart had had a crew-cut, he wouldn't have been a musician?)

And he was "pouting" on the cover??????
He's too old and should know better?????
(OK Glenn, after the age of 30, only "smiley face" pictures of you are allowed........
so some jerk can say you are "smirking".)

You know, when we GHCP's review an album, either we like it BECAUSE......
or don't like it BECAUSE.......and then proceed to state WHY.

We may not be "professional rock magazine reviewers".....but we give our honest opinion, at the end of which somebody reading our review will know WHY we said what we did. And this board has been shut down in the past, when people don't show RESPECT for GH's work, irregardless of whether or not we like something he's done.

Let's all have a moment of quiet reflection, for the poor guy who wrote such a mean-spirited insult, having nothing to do with "reviewing a new album." I think that this guy has problems, that listening to good music could never solve.

Old Jun-17-2003, 6:20 AM

USA

And "Wolfysmith"......

You have my permission, to quote my opinion of that jerk's alleged "SITKOR" review,
back to Classic Rock.
Old Jun-17-2003, 8:07 AM

UK

That's precisely it Grace.....when one of us review something we back up what we say and very few people take offence. We discuss. We deliberate. This piece of trash that is supposed to be called a "review" tells you nothing about the album. If I was a Purple fan who'd never listened to a Glenn solo record, there's little in here that would make me want to buy SITKOR, and I'd be looking out for HTP in the nearest bargain basement.

Classic Rock no longer checks it's facts and sometimes I wonder if they bother playing the CD's they are sent or going to the shows they "review". One issue tells of a Dio concert where he played the classic Rainbow track "Mountain Roll". One of my favourites, that. It turns out this was actually "Man On The Silver Mountain".

Then you get Mick "friend-of-anybody-big-in-the
-80's-but-not-anymore-because-they're-too-old" Wall (I presume he still works for this rag) spending more time trying to convince the ever decreasing readership that David Coverdale looks like Richard Burton than he does talking about music. I'm no Whitesnake obsessive, but I am a fan, and in one 5 page article I found 12 incorrect facts.

This so called review of SITKOR is so vague, I could've written it without hearing the album. Everything Glenn does has funky rock tones if you look for it. Glenn's back catalogue is vast and all this clown can say is it's "...the closest to his Deep Purple days he’s yet managed." I wasn't aware Glenn was trying to re-record his Deep Purple past. Pay homage, yeah, but not go back thirty years in a desparate bid to make the "ultimate Glenn album". The ultimate Glenn album would sound very little like Deep Purple.

Christ only knows what they'll make of Purple's new "Bananas" album. I thought the title was amusing and it promises orchestral arrangements, strings and all sorts. I'm looking forward to it far more than I was "Abandon", yet Classic Rock won't even get past making fun of the title.

Do the world a favour and stop buying Classic Rock. Then we can put this oaf out of work and leave him in charge of something his skills are more suited to, like cleaning Glenn's car.

JG

Old Jun-17-2003, 12:39 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
I'm amazed they gave SITKOR 4 stars...that's the most they've ever given an album from Glenn...the 3 key on the typewriter must have got stuck that day, since it's all they ever seem to give most albums!

We cancelled our subscription to this rag ages ago.
Old Jun-18-2003, 2:17 AM

UK

i knew this review would stir up things.I was so angry after reading it that i didnt say too much in case i 'lost it'.
James you were spot on. They make up their minds before listening to most bands and give everyone 3 stars in general. They are always raving about Led Zep and Sabbath but never have much good to say about DP or anyone related to DP.
They have gone overboard again on Led Zep last month and this month. Purple outsold them in the US in 73 and 74 but you wont find that mentioned. As for their list of music DVD's you "must" own - it doesnt even mention the California Jam show. Blackmore's pyromania and demolition job alone make this one of THE essential concert to have.

Does anyone want me to post the other article they did on Glenn this month?
Old Jun-18-2003, 2:43 AM

UK

Well, I wish I'd said what I'd been thinking now! I read my subscribed copy of Classic Rock the other night and being a Metallica fan eagerly wanted to read the review and rating on the new album. Two out of five indeed! It's takes a few listens, but it's clever stuff. It's a very English thing, putting people 'up there' and then finding a way to bring them as far down as possible, missing the real point that the musicians are extremely talented, no matter what your tastes are. Looks have little to do with talent - we're extremely lucky (the girls would notice his looks more than the guys, of course) cos Glenn's got them both in abundance . And I always wonder how a critic is the person to 'decide' what rating to give a band or an album. If you like it, you like it.

Now that you've all commented so strongly (and thanks for bringing it up first, wolfysmith) I need to support Glenn even more by NOT subscribing to what has become a 'rag mag' any more.

Old Jun-18-2003, 5:03 AM

UK

I agree with you all on the Classic Rock issue. I cancelled my subscripton too.At least it took Kerrang a long while longer to "slag" off the bands that made the magazine in the first place.

For those who believe,no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not,
none will suffice.
Old Jun-18-2003, 8:16 AM

USA

Sure Wolfysmith, bring on the other GH article from Classic Rock magazine.

Us "Crazy People" are also TOUGH!!!!!!
Old Jun-18-2003, 10:20 AM

UK

Lucky I never had a subscription. I don't have to cancel it. :-)

TC

PS D'ya get me email Shirl (not hassling you, just checking).
Old Jun-19-2003, 1:30 AM

UK

"Crazy" Grace, look out for the other article which will be on here by the end of today i hope.
Old Jun-19-2003, 11:05 AM

USA

At risk of looking like some sort of Benedict Arnold, I'll admit that I have a subscription to Classic Rock. Not only that, I just renewed it. Why? Because I have absolutely nothing in common with Rolling Stone, Spin, Metal Edge, Guitar Player and Hit Parader. Oh, and I don't like Q. So...that doesn't leave me much choice if I want to see ANY mention of bands like Lizzy, T-Rex, Bad Co., Purple, Queen or Sweet. Granted - the articles always seem to focus on the years 1973/74, the musicians' names are invariably misspelled and the reviews lack much in the way of structured ideas.

I must simply plead an affection for those things British, for the great pictures the magazine prints, and for the laughs that, invariably, each issue brings.

Cheers...Todd
Old Jun-19-2003, 2:15 PM

USA

No problem Ben, oops, I mean Todd.

You and wolfysmith can be the official
GHCP "Classic Rock" spies, and keep us all up to date.
Old Jun-24-2003, 12:11 PM

Ireland

Here's the offending article...sorry for the bad scan but I had wipe off various pieces of dirt from the pages

Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
MediaCentre_SITKORreviewinClassicRock-1.jpg  
Old Jun-24-2003, 12:16 PM

Ireland

and the accompanying "story"...
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
MediaCentre_SITKORreviewinClassicRock-2.jpg  
Old Sep-03-2003, 2:40 AM

Russia

Hi friends,
My first ever post over here! $) Thanks to James who finally talked me into signing up
Just want to add my two small coins of Russian currency
I happen to buy CR Russia from time to time, because of pics (they still have some there) and - because of the hilarious quality of their articles. It's nonexistent!
Russian editor Vlad Lesishin gave new Metallica's album like 4 or 5 out of five, and was swept under a load of mails asking whether he's in his mind (politely reproduced). But he did not manage even to defend his opinion (if it was his own, of course; one of the readers hinted he might have been bribed, but Lesishin denied this... Did I ever believe him? No). He repeated some stuff like the band had undergone lotsa harships and so on - but what does this have to do with music?!
Old Sep-03-2003, 2:45 AM

UK

Welcome aboard the Glenn Hughes Crazy Train, Funky Deuce! A Russian version of Classic Rock - now there's a novelty!

Look forward to reading all your posts and comments.
Old Sep-03-2003, 3:30 AM

UK

Oh ho, I recognise THAT name! Welcome FD, and it's great to see you here. Beware gang, this one can talk almost as much as I can...!

JG

Old Sep-04-2003, 2:25 AM

Russia

Hi friends,
Hi James! Being that talkative, I can only assure you all that I am busy student, so if I am here twice a week, it's very good for me... So no need to worry...
To Shirl: Classic Rock Russia is absolutely real...and it's been there for two years already... It was nice at first, but turned out to be a worsened edition of UK. I read they launched a Polish version recently.
We have some more rock magazines here, but they're like death metal oriented or too disrespectful - you know, the editors know the artists will unlikely read them, so they let the steam out. One of them (titled In Rock) actually reprinted an interview with JLT done by Kevin Shirley of Universal Wheels Online. They wrote a mocking intro to it and omitted some Uriah Heep related material - so I guess they had no permission to use that interview. Anyway, I may be wrong, I'd be glad if I'm wrong, but I doubt Kevin would have ever allowed them attaching such an intro (I will make a translation of it to anyone who's interested).
Anyway, they don't print articles about hair there - Russian fans are a worshipping crowd, they won't allow any frivolous attitude towards their gods (and unfortunately, they don't have a feeling that rock stars are essentially people, like every one of us - Russian fans dub them gods and can't stand anything that is ironic or otherwise brings stars down to Earth... It's because when the musicians we all love were the media's favourite subjects abroad, in the Soviet Union these musicians were listened to undergroundly, info was hard to find and a lot of rumours surfaced... let alone hardly anyone understood the lyrics, and that's why older fans feel disappointed when they like discover what 'Speed King' lyrics actually mean)
I wrote a small article about CR Russia for CtC, that can be found in archive issues (I recall it was CtC #50, if you're interested), and went in detail about what's so especially bad about CRR. I also included translations of Vlad Lesishin's reviews of BTM and Slam, that contradict each other I will provide a translation of his review of SitKoR soon. Four stars as well - they must have a policy on something No JLT this time - maybe later...
I have some more thoughts about that, but later!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Share Thread

Tags
1973, 2000, album, albums, bands, california jam, classic rock, cover, David, Deep Purple, GHCP, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, HTP, Jeff Kollman, related, solo, solo album, track, uriah heep, win