g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre > Audio

Audio Got soundbytes, past or present? Place them here!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb-10-2003, 9:32 PM

Ireland

Icon34 Nottingham legend

If this doesn't make you hair stand on end, nothing will

Glenn rocked the house last November and the highlight for me was this amazing rendition of the classic Procol Harum song, A Whiter Shade Of Pale.

Bloody brillant
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 MediaCentre_A_Whiter_Shade_Of_Pale.mp3 (7.25 MB, 18 views)
Old Feb-11-2003, 5:00 AM

UK

Hi Paul, Yep I saw this at Stoke. Good stuff.You hear the recording and it is incredible, but you have to see it "in the flesh" to believe it don't you? It's worth 30 euros of anyone's money just for that one song.
Old Feb-11-2003, 9:23 PM

Ireland

Definitely so, Keith.

Glenn is one of those artists that no matter how many times you hear him on record, it simply doesn't compare to his live performance.

I just wish he had managed to pull off a "Building The Machine" tour...so many of his new songs on that one, would of sounded even more outstanding in a live setting (I Will Follow, Out On Me, Feels Like Home etc).

Oh well...sounds like it'll be made up for in the Autumn with the new one
Old Feb-11-2003, 11:54 PM

UK

Thanks for the sounds Paul. It really was stunning when I saw 'Legends' at Bradford - and G has stunned me a good few times in the past!!!

Like you, I was really disappointed that we didn't get a BTM tour. (I'm one of the seemingly few who would rather have had a solo G tour than HTP - but hey!)

I'm already crossing everything for the solo 2003 tour, featuring (please, please, please Glenn) SOLO songs, and I'm desparately hoping Glenn doesn't neglect BTM!!!! (Especially as in the UK we didn't even get one track off it from HTP.)

'Legends' was of course a welcome bonus, especially 'Whiter Shade...' & 'I Feel Free'.

So anyway, I'm gonna be the one who gives in & asks - do you have the rest of the gig????

Old Feb-12-2003, 12:31 AM

UK

Yes I agree with both of you. I am an old Purple fan so I was chuffed when he played Mistreated and Burn and stuff but you know I Just Wanna Celebrate would be a great for audience interraction. It has that We Will Rock You/Van Halenesque anthemic feel to it. There's also loads of stuff on the back catalogue such as the ones you have mentioned.
Old Feb-12-2003, 9:42 AM

UK

Right, someone - finally got a new home PC installed. What a headache! Want to play, amongst other things, Paul's Whiter Shade of Pale attachment (as above) but how do I download the media player, MP3, etc? Sorry, but I've been used to a corporate PC so never been allowed to fiddle around, and my old home PC was already set up with everything. I have been told not to bother with real player - why? Is that normally for videos anyhow?

Old Feb-13-2003, 2:24 AM

UK

Hi Shirl,

I'll do my best to help you out. I'm a Mac operator and despise PCs in every form they come in but here goes....
Personally I'm a fan of Real Player, and it's used to play the jukebox files here at ghpg.net. Where it says "Requires Real Player" in the jukebox section, click there and you'll be whisked to the Real Player site where you should be able to download the bog standard version for you PC (it's free).
As for playing mp3's there are countless free players all over the web. You may want to try "Liquid Player" which is pretty good, works for both Mac and PC and you can purchase Voices of Classic Rock mp3's with it too. That's also free and you can get it by clicking on this address....

http://liquidaudio.com/products/liqplayer/

If you have those two and Windows Media player you're pretty much set up. If you get stuck you can always email me and I'll try and help further. obviously, being a Mac user instead of a PC, if anyone reading this see's something I've written that's not true, please dive in and correct me!

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Old Feb-13-2003, 2:49 AM

UK

OK Shirl I'll have a go! (Though in the time it's taken me to write this - including stopping to play squash - someone else has probably got there first!)

The best known player mainly for MP3s is probably winamp, but when I used that it kept crashing & stuff. So the one I've got on best with is at www.musicmatch.com

Forgive me if the rest of this is too basic, but I don't know your level of knowledge. I'm self-taught myself (?!) so I've played it safe - I know what it's like when you know nowt.

On their homepage click the 'get Musicmatch jukebox now' button around the middle of the page.

On the next page, top rightish, there is a kind of checklist comparing the basic player (free) & the 'boffy' one ($19.99).

From there it's fairly straightforward, clicking on obvious links on their site & going through the d/l process - your PC will ask where you want to save the program etc. At the risk of being patronising, this is usually on your C drive in a folder called summat like 'program files'.

A lot of times when you're downloading it defaults to a suitable place anyway.

Once the download has finished, it'll ask you if you want to install/run the program you just d/led. It's usually easier to do that at this point if you're not sure what you're doing.

This bit's usually fine if you just follow the instructions!

Once it's installed you can leave it open or close the program - it doesn't really matter, because the program should open anytime you try to open an MP3 file.

You probably know this bit, but... what the hell. To play an MP3 you've got stored on your PC or a CDrom or whatever, just double click it.

To play ('stream') one that's on a website just click it od double click it. If you stream it though, depending on your PC & internet connection, it might not play very well. Try right clicking the MP3 link and selecting 'save target as' from the menu that appears.

Some MP3s on websites will only let you stream them.

Depending on your internet connection and the size of the MP3 file, this can be a quick job or take ages!!! (Same applies to d/ling the player!!!)

On a normal (56k) modem I'd guess at around 10-20 mins for a 5 minute song of decent sound quality (the file size'd probably be about 4-5 megabytes). If you've got cable/broadband it's miles quicker.

This will allow you to download the actual MP3 file & save it on your hard drive. (You can create a special folder etc if you want.)

You can then play it by double-clicking. If you don't want to keep it, just delete it when you've finished, or it'll take up space.

The basic one does quite a lot if you want it to - plays em, converts them to wav format if you want to... etc

If you have a CDR drive & want to create CDs it'll do that too, but I won't get into that here.

The 'boffy' one has lots of extra features that can be useful if you get right into it. At the moment I think you get 5 free goes with the boffy one when you d/l the basic one.

Realplayer (unless it has changed radically) is a bit different - as far as I know, it is the only thing that will play 'real audio'('RA' or 'RAM') - or Real Video - files. It's worth having if only for that, but When I last tried it it didn't play MP3s very well (if at all).

Probably too much detail, but someone might find something there that's useful!

Just in case you want/need to, you can email me at mothclark@ntlworld.com
Old Feb-13-2003, 2:51 AM

UK

Knew that'd happen!!!! Sorry James!

Actually I work with loads of Mac users & though I've never used one I like 'em better too!!!!

(They seem a lot less annoyingly unreliable & bizarre. With the exception of one that is used by a bloke who manages to screw his up all the time. That's him though, not the Mac LOL).
Old Feb-13-2003, 3:54 AM

UK

Ah, no problem mate. I saw a lady in distress so I had no option but to dive in to assist!
Mac's are awesome....I'm not biased just because of my job, I've had the misfortune to use a PC too. Each to their own I guess. Don't let me put you off Shirl! Hopefully between Top Cat and I you have enough info to download some tunes. If not, mail one of us and we'll try and help you further.

JG

Old Feb-13-2003, 4:41 AM

UK

I was just about to say a big thank you to James, and Top Cat's taken the time and trouble to help, too. Thank you so much, you guys.

Top Cat - I'm actually a whizz on a PC but never having had to download from scratch wasn't sure where to start. Don't suppose I need the 'music match' site now, but if I'm wrong I'm sure you will let me know.

James - I never realised it would take soooooo long to download both liquid and real player - knitted a jumper whilst I was waiting (and if you believe that ...). Actually listening to a free CD with my latest UNCUT mag - rare versions of all Bowie's songs done by various artistes ... it's ace. Anyway ...

Thank you both very much - clever little Hectors!!

Old Feb-13-2003, 5:20 AM

UK

You're welcome! And yeah, they ARE long downloads if you have a crappy 56k dial up modem, but worth it in the end...both great bits of software. Enjoy!

JG

Old Feb-13-2003, 9:50 AM

UK

A whizz on the PC - ulp!!!!! Phrases involving eggs, grandmothers, sucking & teaching spring to mind....

I might try 'Liquid' myself (other than the red stuff that comes from vines)!

I'll let you know if I still think MusicMatch is better.

Cheers all!

TC
Old Feb-14-2003, 7:49 AM

Ireland

Since it's Valentine's Day...here's the only other track I have from the show. Appropriately or not, I Feel Free

What a combo...Jack Bruce still rocks with the best and it's great to hear Glenn play on something different.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 MediaCentre_I_Feel_Free.mp3 (9.60 MB, 11 views)
Old Feb-14-2003, 1:49 PM

UK

Paul - thanks so much for Whiter Shade of Pale and I feel Free downloads. The former has been played about sixteen times today, as I was only able to download it earlier. I was at Nottingham, so had a smile so big on my face when I listened to it I thought I would burst. It has to be possibly one of the best songs he has loaned his voice to, and I just can't get enough of it. Bloody brilliant, exactly!

Thanks again for sharing.

Old Feb-17-2003, 12:47 AM

UK

Yes indeedy.... Thanks Paul!!!!!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre > Audio

Share Thread

Tags
2003, classic rock, GHPG.net, glenn, HTP, solo, tour, track, Video, win