g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Polls & Questions? Here you can post polls for everyone to participate in or if you have general questions, this is the place to ask them!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-19-2009, 9:39 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Glenn Hughes View Post
Until people, fans, agents, Media have seen me perform live, they could never understand "the live GH experience"...I am on schedule...I have a tremendous urge, and a whole lot of patience...yes, it would be wonderful to play with Kravitz or the Black Crowes and anyone that plays Rock and Soul.

Glenn certainly said a mouthful there !!

Seeing as to how well Childline Rocks has gone over for the past two years, what about a co-headline tour with Heep and the Zombies ? Three different types of music but would still be consistent enough to make everyone happy. Doing a "Childline" tour would be awesome.
Old Jun-19-2009, 9:53 AM

USA

There's a reason why this CD is my choice here ~

.......any promoter that has tried to book us 2gether, gets an ear full from the Purple camp
"never!!!" The same scenario has happened with the other Artists...

This is called "being a smart promoter."
This is also called "protecting your client's @$$, versus, the talents of Mr. Hughes."

Quote:
Until people, fans, agents, Media have seen me perform live,
they could never understand "the live GH experience"

Give that man a cigar! OOPS, I mean......a stalk of calorie-free celery.

Quote:
I am enjoying my new life...please remember that I almost died in 1991...many of my friends;

You think that we fans don't think about this, and are grateful that your name isn't on that list?
Try singing "I don't want to live that way again" at an up-coming live performance, and watch
the audience's reaction. We know that that song is you......writing about you.

But that snappy tune can be applied to so many other circumstances in......our lives.
A few years back, "Coast to Coast" won a poll here, as being our favorite GH song.
But I think that "IDWTLTWA" is the song that, word for word.......means the most.

Quote:
THE BEST IS YET 2 COME

Quote:
...Glenn

OK, folks, we have the statement from Mr. Voice himself..........
...........everything up until now was just practice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Glenn, for taking the time to write this post.
Now make us all happy, and go eat a piece of chocolate
Old Jun-19-2009, 12:30 PM

UK

Not so sure now that i could stand only a 30-45 minute set from Big Daddy supporting someone else!

However, if it enabled the word to be spread.

Welcome to The Voice....

of Rock

of FUNK

of Soul

then who am i to argue
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Paul J For This Useful Post:
Old Jun-19-2009, 2:27 PM

Belgium

Originally Posted by FCinnella View Post
Glenn certainly said a mouthful there !!

Seeing as to how well Childline Rocks has gone over for the past two years, what about a co-headline tour with Heep and the Zombies ? Three different types of music but would still be consistent enough to make everyone happy. Doing a "Childline" tour would be awesome.

That would be interesting to see but I don't think it would work. The people who aren't GH fans would probably expect a different sound more like Deep Purple. I generally try to be open minded about everything I listen too but most people aren't like that.

A Glenn Hughes/RHCP tour always looked like a great idea to me. I'd expect at least a reasonable number of Pepper fans would have checked out Glenn Hughes because of the Chad Smith connection, and I could see their fans digging the solo stuff. Kinda too bad it won't happen.

It seems hard to really find any bands that would fit on a bill with Glenn who he could open for, most of the ones that come to mind aren't exactly headliners.
Old Jun-19-2009, 3:30 PM

USA

It's always interesting to get G.s imput on some of the things that we talk about on here ( Thanks G.) . I was just thinking (for fun) that G. would have to play w/ someone that he gets along w/ or it probably couldn't work anyway. In the spirit of "what if..." , how about Heaven and Hell, or Over the Rainbow ?
Peace,
Old Jun-19-2009, 3:38 PM

Ireland

Originally Posted by purplemusic View Post
In the spirit of "what if..." , how about Heaven and Hell, or Over the Rainbow ?

Think we already had that with HTP...been there done that...I hope
Old Jun-19-2009, 5:22 PM

Brazil

Glenn And Stevie Wonder...
How awesome would be that?

Lucas Vilela's Sig:Will alter all my trivial thoughts and give my mind a view...
Old Jun-19-2009, 5:27 PM

zUKUSA

I'm @ a place, musically, where I do not fit in with Heavy Metal shows...I have been offered to play with Major Metal bands, but I declined as my music is not in that Genre...no disrespect to any of those Artists...some of them are my friends.

The only time it works is with Tony Iommi...I am so happy for him and Ronnie, these guys are like family to me.

I have never been "Metal"...it's not me...especially live...

Its always been: Rock/Soul and Funk...

It's all I know...I am believable in this Genre...I smell it, and taste it, and more importantly FEEL it...

I am SO happy with my ongoing growth as a writer and Vocalist...I'm on the Path that has been laid out for me...Progression, not perfection...I will keep pushin' the boundaries...there will be surprises...I'm always workin' on a lil' somethin'...

Thanx for the love...I can FEEL it!!

GH
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Glenn Hughes For This Useful Post:
Old Jun-19-2009, 5:41 PM

USA

Glenn, good on you!!! Funk On!!!!!!!
Old Jun-19-2009, 6:54 PM

USA

I think it would take a very rare confidence for an artist to want you to open for them. Someone who would just realize that they were in a unique position of having an opener that was going to blow them off the stage, and the historical sense to understand the coolness of it -- or a dottering idiot, one or the other. lol

Susan says it would be like eating a great dessert before the meal. (don't know what she means by that, dang her eyes. LOL)
Old Jun-20-2009, 2:10 AM

Belgium

I am SO happy with my ongoing growth as a writer and Vocalist...I'm on the Path that has been laid out for me...Progression, not perfection...I will keep pushin' the boundaries...there will be surprises...I'm always workin' on a lil' somethin'...

And that is what keeps me interested. No 2 albums sound exactly the same. All I can say is I'm looking forward to those surprises
Old Jun-20-2009, 3:19 AM

UK

yeah, the thing with Glenn is that he doesnt stick to a category or formula like a lot of bands have. if he was supporting a metal band then the crowd would expect Burn, Stormbringer and Iommi songs, not his funky stuff.

His current audience are fans of all sorts of his past and present work. there will always be demands by promoters for a kind of DP show but to my mind his solo work is way better and is the music that has to be played and promoted live.

i cant think of any bands/artists who have such a wide and varied back catalogue to pull from, whilst writing & playing modern and groovy funk-rock-soul.

and supporting means a shorter set list and even more of a tough choice to choose it.

the other problem with supporting a "classic" band is G is then labelled as going down the "classic" nostalgia route too - even if playing his recent material.

there is nothing i would love more than Glenn playing at Wembley or suchlike in front of a massive crowd and getting them all jumping about to Love Communion or Soul Mover. but sadly it aint gonna happen.

i look at it like Glenn, pleased he's still writing, playing and touring

Listening to Stupid Little Girl, JKB.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jun-20-2009, 6:25 AM

UK

Nice thread and great reply from Glenn. Many issues covered here but the one which struck me was the reaction of the Deep Purple camp. Now I am as guilty as anyone of harping on about Deep Purple (as if it's the only thing Glenn ever did but far from it).

It is so ironic that Mr Gillan protects his rediscovered brand values with such pride. But sadly, it would come as a bit of a shock to assembled guests if the prodigal son of Mark Three conspired to remind them that the brand actually means more than the dry Noel Coward type meanderings we get served up as new Deep Purple material.

David and Glenn brought a sexiness to DP which of course David went on to exploit further with Whiesnake commercially. The rest is history.

But the big point here is that Deep Purple is different things to different people. So why not come up with a show to celebrate that diversity? I know I am speaking naively. Hell would freeze over and the rest of it. But commercially it would work.

If I was doing my fantasy football team thing I'd love to see Glenn Hughes opening then Whitesnake (House of Blues set as opposed to trying to be 1987 again), Deep Purple with Jon Lord guesting. Oh and I sigh and get into real fantasy stuff with some vague notion of Blackmore's Night jigging joyously somewhere on the bill too. Lovely idea but more chance of Wolves or Everton winning the Champions League...but not impossible. It wouldn't be a question of "blowing off" whoever, Gillans' ultimate fear which is why they gig with The Scorpions, it would be a celebration of musical styles.

What Carl and Glenn do is pretty straight forward. They do what is right and comfortable for Glenn creatively. If I get a new Glenn Hughes album I know it IS the latest album which reflects where Glenn is spiritually and musically. If an opportunity comes up, they consider it for what it does for Glenn's career.

I wouldn't be so hasty about not envisaging Glenn perform to 2.000 people or more. This happens on a regular basis at festivals and in places like Eastern Europe. But it happens on Glenn's terms not because some shiny shod scheister says so. That's good enough for me.

It's interesting that alot of UK fans from our venue have just come back from Downlaod which is often billed as a METAL festival. Well alot of the bands are of course. But if you read the forums, young people are talking just as much about Black Stone Cherry, ZZ Top, Def Leppard (hmm), Journey and Chris Cornell as they are about Trivium and co. Unfortunately Whitesnake don't get a great deal of good press these days, it has to be said. But then again the fact is that that these bands are not metal. Glenn could sit well within the spectrum of rock. I'd love to see that happen personally. Hey maybe I'd even buy a ticket! Wonders will never cease

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Share Thread

Tags
1969, 1974, 1987, 1990, 1991, 7th star, album, albums, bands, book, california jam, Chad Smith, cheap trick, Coast to Coast, David, Deep Purple, drums, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, history, HTP, journey, keys, memorial, press, solo, soul mover, styles, tour, Trapeze, uriah heep, win