g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Reports & Pictures Post your reviews, pictures, video & set lists here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar-28-2009, 10:53 PM

USA

Icon33 Highline Ballroom, New York City USA March 2009

Simply a mind blowing performance for me tonight by Glenn and the band. I'm glad I finally got to see him especially missing him in 2007. I truly hope he performs more in the U.S. as he indicated tonight, because from what I've read on this board and witnessed tonight, he's truly loved here at home. Thank you Glenn. You are the ultimate performer.
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to gpalz For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-29-2009, 6:31 AM

USA

this is almost silly to say anymore, but Glenn's show last night at the Highland was great. Glenn NEVER dissapoints. his band is always great. if only there was more of Papa to go around for having more time to meet w/ us, but I know that realistically, he's just one guy that can only do so much and if it were me, sometimes i'd just want to get out of there too and get back to my hotel and chill out. I did get to shake his hand and say "peace" after the show when he was walking to the cab. I look forward to hopefully spending a little time chatting tonight..and of course another great show.
set list from last night was :
Crave
Funk
You Got Soul
Mistreated
Oil and Water
We Shall Be Free
Coast to Coast
Getting Tighter ( which he did not play. I guess that we lost this one due to the time shortage)
Love Communion
Don't Let Me Bleed
Steppin on
(encores)
Soul Mover
Burn

for you musicians out there, which I am not, so I don't quite get this, but you might at long as you're a real nerd and wanna know, I got the set list from where Ed Roth was sitting and it said on Oil and Water that it was dropped to a "D", and on We Shall Be Free that it was up to an "E".

That's it folks. Thanks Glenn for another great show. it was good seeing my GHPG brothers and sisters (even if I did skip out on yall for the after show drinks, but I bet that I feel better than yall do this morning I do know that "forever Young" ain't looking so forever young right now " anybody got any asprin ?"

Peace,
Old Mar-29-2009, 8:28 AM

USA

Originally Posted by purplemusic View Post
. I do know that "forever Young" ain't looking so forever young right now " anybody got any asprin ?"

Peace,

This does not surprise me
At least John didn't have to wait overnight to get his car outta the garage
Wish I could have been there this weekend, would have been great.
Old Mar-29-2009, 10:36 AM

USA

Originally Posted by purplemusic View Post
for you musicians out there, which I am not, so I don't quite get this, but you might at long as you're a real nerd and wanna know, I got the set list from where Ed Roth was sitting and it said on Oil and Water that it was dropped to a "D", and on We Shall Be Free that it was up to an "E".

Those were references to guitar tunings.
Old Mar-29-2009, 12:15 PM

USA

Great show last night at The Highline Ballroom. This was my first time there and I liked the set up, there's not a bad seat in the house. I opted for 2nd level balcony seats. We were seated in the 1st row of tables against the railing so there was nothing to get in the way from our view of the stage. Glenn and his band were tight and played a great set of music. I'm loving the new stuff from F.U.N.K. and I always enjoy the classics. There's such a rich catalog of music to draw from. I was hoping for "Can't stop the flood & Gettin' tighter". Glenn's voice was incredible, it's amazing what he can do with that throat of his! His vocal range, emotional singing, bass playing and stage presence are top notch. I thought the sound mix could have been a bit louder at times but it was also nice not waking up with my ears ringing for a change. Glenn said he would be back and it can't come soon enough for me. I hope he decides to play more US shows in the future hitting more states & venues. There are so many cool places he can play on the concert trail. It was nice meeting David there last night and Kenny who pointed David out to me. I wish there was some more time to meet the rest of you. I did luckily get to see Papa G after the show and got some stuff signed. All in all a great night in the big apple witnessing some top notch music by a true rock legend.
Old Mar-30-2009, 12:48 PM

USA

Both NY shows rocked, as I knew they would.

Free on street parking both nights with no additional "situations" arising. Free PBR the 2nd night. Hell, a Free show the 2nd night.

Too many show highlights to list, but Gettin' Tighter ruled on Sunday. All of the new tunes played really well in a live setting.

Thanks, Big Daddy! Kudos again

Also, a big "thank you" to David. Without your post on these boards about the Sunday night gig, I wouldn't have known such a treat existed. Much good karma to you and yours!
Old Mar-30-2009, 12:48 PM

USA

Two nights of Papa G and the Temple Of Funk!!

Well..Bart put up the set list here..someone get that man a drink!

The show at the Highline was special beyond words...everything was fabulous! The sound out in the room was just loud enough and crystal clear; Glenn's voice was beautifully miked and mixed. I was flashing on the superb sound at the King Crimson show last year at the Nokia Theater and this was shoulder to shoulder with that sonic perfection. hats off to Lars for working his magic behind the board!

Luke Mulholland and his band had a short time slot to work with and they wasted no time with idle chit chat, serving up a tight, tough set of material. Luke's voice and some of his guitar stylings made me think of Stevie Ray Vaughan and his bassist was especially impressive. He had a thankless job and I thought made the most of it.

Then...the main event. Taking the stage to a tape loop of the intro to "Crave", Glenn, Jeff, Ed and Steve immediately knocked us back into Funkland!! Where do I start? Steve was far more assertive in his playing than I remember him being in 2007; he really put the boot in. Ed showed us that you can get a world of colors out of black and ivory; he really was highlighted by the superb sound mix. Jeff took the work of Luis and JJ and filtered through his own style; he also did a stunning turn at the intro to "Mistreated"....The Man In Black would have been proud! These guys were tight and smoking!!

Glenn looked sharp and and let you know right away that Big Daddy was in town and his voice was in stunning form. The audience was with him right out of the blocks and Glenn was knocked out by the reception. Man...what a set...heavy on the funk and a sweet tribute to Mel Galley as Glenn and Jeff swapped instruments for "Coast To Coast". A one-two knockout encore of "Soul Mover" and "Burn' left the crowd satisfied....

He better come back next year!!

Last night, Glenn and the guys played at John Varvatos' boutique, the former CBGB's. On the small stage in a hot, crowded ambience, they played the same set but were able to slip "Getting Tighter" back into the set, unhindered by a curfew. I have always marveled at Glenn's voice when listening to the recordings...but when you are six feet away from him and as up close and personal as you can possibly get without being his dentist....well, hearing and seeing him work his magic...words cannot do justice to the man! Glenn played guitar on "Coast To Coast" and his leads were sweet and clean..just a dash of that Gibson humbucker creamy distortion...I flashed on Mel right away...he was surely in the room smiling and raising a pint of Carling to Glenn!

I have put a few pictures up here but they pale in comparison to anything that Jerome may have taken. He made a book of pictures from the shows he and Nathalie attended in Europe and New Jersey last year....I am in total awe over his work!!

And it wouldn't be a Funk Fest with all of you who traveled from far and wide to share the experience...You all RULE!!
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
001.JPG   008.JPG   013.JPG   027.JPG   031.JPG   033.JPG  

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to captmidnite1962 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-30-2009, 7:05 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Here's some snippets of "Mistreated" from the gig the other night at the Highline Ballroom in New York City

Old Mar-31-2009, 12:22 AM

USA

Wow, really excellent! Fantastic job Mr. Hughes
Old Mar-31-2009, 3:22 AM

France

yes ! great !
Old Mar-31-2009, 10:29 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
A few good words from local rock TV/radio and nationally syndicated broadcast personality, Eddie Trunk, on the Highline show

Quote:
Went to see Glenn Hughes last night in NYC. Unreal to see the talent this guy has. Once the great Ronnie James Dio told me Glenn was one of his favorite singers and its easy to see why if you were at the show.

Great set that touched on some of the many bands Glenn was part of including amazing versions of Deep Purple classics Mistreated and Burn.

Great guitar playing from Jeff Kollman and a drummer named Steve Stephens that crushed. See Glenn if you have the chance, some great funky hard rock.

Mike Piazza went to the show with me and was also amazed. Spoke to Glenn for a bit and he said he is going to focus more on touring the US soon. Good to see him happy and healthy! Plus a sell out crowd!!

http://eddietrunk.com/index.cfm/pk/view/cd/NAA/cdid/407938/pid/401816
Old Apr-01-2009, 7:35 AM

USA

Icon32

Just went to Eddie's site and requested that he put Glenn on his TV show someday.

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Apr-01-2009, 9:23 AM

USA

Glenn always gives such insightful interviews that he may bury the guys on that show, who seem to think "well, yeah" is a good answer to a question. But it would be outstanding to see
Old Apr-01-2009, 3:55 PM

USA

Icon32

You're correct Frank. Plus I doubt the other two guys on that show know who Glenn is. They might though. Jim Florentine is too busy doing his reverse prank phone calls

Since Piazza went with Eddie to see Glenn, and he was on Eddie's show several episodes ago, they must be buds. Eddie...its' time to get your other bud, Glenn, on the show

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Apr-11-2009, 1:22 PM

France

The frenchie on line, I just updated my fotos here http://ghfrance.blogspot.com/

I'm going to try to update the second nite as soon as possible

It was a great night

Crystal Karma's Sig:LOVE U ALL from France

http://ghfrance.blogspot.com/
Old May-17-2009, 7:17 AM

USA

My review of the Highline show can be found here:

http://damiendesimone.blogspot.com/2009/05/glenn-hughes-highline-ballroom-new-york.html

Thanks,

D

PS: Bill, that was a great read... I agree with you about Mr. Stephens.

Damien's Sig:"I'm a soul singer in a rock genre; I've been trying to break out of the rock thing for years." ~ Glenn Hughes (1993)
Old May-17-2009, 11:54 AM

France

Thank you so much Damien for your review ...

Crystal Karma's Sig:LOVE U ALL from France

http://ghfrance.blogspot.com/

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Share Thread

Tags
1st, 2007, 2009, bands, bass, book, Coast to Coast, David, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, Jeff Kollman, Mel Galley, soul mover, Video