g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Media Centre Interviews & the Press; pictures, video & soundbytes.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan-06-2009, 1:39 PM

UK

Keith

Do i get the impression that Ian Gillan hit a raw nerve with you

Haven't seen the Classic Rock article but i seem to remember comments like this from years ago. Is this not an old quote from Ian?? If not he should know better.

Agree what you say about Led Zep. Glenn has the range but i wouldn't like to see him do it. Queen would have been a better idea as they have a much more varied approach to styles of music. Can't remember too much funk though! Maybe another one bites the dust.

Percy Plant pisses me off. He has moaned about David Coverdale for years saying that he ripped Plant off but the First 2 Zeppelin albums were full either of blues covers or stylistic rip offs of old blues songs. Too much hypocrisy if you ask me.

Paul
Old Jan-06-2009, 2:23 PM

USA

Icon32

Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
.....Percy Plant pisses me off. He has moaned about David Coverdale for years saying that he ripped Plant off but the First 2 Zeppelin albums were full either of blues covers or stylistic rip offs of old blues songs. Too much hypocrisy if you ask me.

Paul

I agree with you Paul J. Plant shouldn't be accusing someone of ripping off someone else with a history like Zep's. As you say, all of their early tracks were complete rip-offs. Not just re-worked tunes, but blatant copies. I heard a story about this kid who had a mother that was a musician and song writer. Around the time Zep came out he heard his mom playing the piano and it was a Zep tune. He asked why she was playing a LZ song. She replied that she wasn't, she was playing a song she had wrote in the late 1950s. I can't remember the tune.

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Jan-06-2009, 3:02 PM

UK

Hasn't the guy from Alter Bridge got the Zep gig ?

Plants voice was never really amazing and at times bloody awfull on record...The studio version of Song Remains The Same sounds like Mickey Mouse on Helium.
Old Jan-06-2009, 10:14 PM

NewZealand

MkII, III & IV Purple were all fantastic!! Glenn is still clearly inspired by Stevie Wonder, but Gillan's quote was out of line... we all know that Glenn, Coverdale & Gillan were all mindblowing singers in their heyday, and I think everyone knows who's kept his voice the best to this day!
Old Jan-07-2009, 12:01 PM

UK

Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
Keith

Do i get the impression that Ian Gillan hit a raw nerve with you

Paul

A bit

Haha love the Helium description Warty! It does sound a bit like that. Mind you the 02 Arena stomp sounded pretty good I have to say. Hey did I ever post on here that I got into the draw for that but didn't answer my emails (for once) for the one week expiry period? I am still receiving the counselling.

We love 'em all really you know. They're part of our lives - bit like watching your football teams and shouting at them for a bad pass. Still reckon IG should get some shoes on though
Old Jan-09-2009, 10:13 AM

USA

Why do I our gang of happy GHCP funsters, you ask?

Most of the time, we spend complaining........
When is Glenn going to appear in my country?
In my town? In my living room?
When is the next album going to come out?
Why doesn't it have more rock songs?
Why doesn't it have more funk songs?
Who doesn't like the CD liner notes artwork?
Who hates the CD album covers?
When is Glenn going to be in a DP reunion concert?
When is Glenn going to do an album with 'ole Dave? <<
When will Glenn do another album with ________?
Why doesn't Pink Cloud release more archival GH stuff?
When will the autobiography come out?
Blah, blah, blah.

But just let somebody else criticize our boy......
Mr. Gillan, for example.
And you get all of our outraged posts, as printed above.
Kinda' like a "family, " huh?

Yep, I love you guys

(Except, of course, for you annoying people )
Old Jan-09-2009, 2:01 PM

USA

Icon33

Grace, that's the best post I've read in a long time!

Cheers...Todd
Old Jan-09-2009, 3:01 PM

Austria

Same here!
Thank you, Grace!

But she wouldnt think of battle that
Reduces men to animals
So easy to begin
And yet impossible to end
For she's the mother of our men
Who counselled me so wisely then
I feared to walk alone again
And asked if she would stay

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jan-11-2009, 3:54 AM

UK

Aye it does sum up the fact that although we are sometimes wrong we care. Btw chuffed he is doing the New York and Boston shows and hope you will take you and yours along there, Grace. If not there will be no excuses accepted!
Old Jan-11-2009, 1:14 PM

USA

Originally Posted by Grace View Post
(Except, of course, for you annoying people )

What a co-incidence
Toadsterama, chrisloeb, and Keith Thompson are at the top
of the list of the annoying people, that I was referring to.

Seriously ~ Thank you for this compliment.
Quoting that famous New York City saying:
"Ah jest calls 'em, like I sees 'em, pardnah."

Old Jan-12-2009, 8:39 AM

NewZealand

Originally Posted by Wartypig View Post
Hasn't the guy from Alter Bridge got the Zep gig ?

Plants voice was never really amazing and at times bloody awfull on record...The studio version of Song Remains The Same sounds like Mickey Mouse on Helium.

they won' tour anymore

this is the last update i ve just read...iwish that they change their mind if sir coverdale filled for robert

i like the song remains the same too much but i agree the studio version is a bit strange when u come to robert's voice

hughes/thrall_rulez's Sig:
From now on....

\m/
Old Jan-15-2009, 8:32 AM

USA

Glenn isn't really a member of Deep Purple...

Ummm...ouch. Them's is fighting words...where is Grace with that axe when you need her?

Ian Gillan has decided to slam Glenn in the latest issue of Classic Rock Magazine.

He says "I can't call him a bona fide member of DEEP PURPLE."...and..."he's still copying Steve Wonder to this day"

Here is the rest of it:

GILLAN Has 'No Interest' In DEEP PURPLE Mk III, Says GLENN HUGHES Is 'Copying STEVIE WONDER'

In an interview in the latest issue of Classic Rock magazine, DEEP PURPLE singer Ian Gillan reveals he has "no interest" in the Mk III lineup of the band and he doesn't particularly rate Mk IV either.

Gillan said: "I've never listened to any of PURPLE Mk III's records. What are they called? 'Burn' and... 'Strongbow' (Strongbow is English cider Ed.), is it?"

"I've got no interest in them," he continued. "It's like seeing your girlfriend with another guy."

Gillan added: "As for Mk IV [when American guitarist, the late Tommy Bolin, replaced Ritchie Blackmore), I listened to their 'Come Taste The Band' album [1975] and that wasn't really PURPLE in my book.

"I've got no problems with the performances, I just don't think it's DEEP PURPLE at all.

"Glenn Hughes is one of the most naturally talented musicians but he's still copying Steve Wonder to this day, so I can't call him a bona fide member of DEEP PURPLE."

"The Mk III and IV lineups were full of talent, but you know you can spend 100 million on football players and you won't necessarily get a good team."
Old Jan-15-2009, 9:10 AM

USA

Fast,

The GH Fan Forum - Media Center:
~ Classic Rock February 2009 ~

You doubt that such a ridiculous statement as was made by Mr. Gillan,
would get past "The Interview Police" of the GHCPs?

~~~~~
And just because I may be well hidden,
doesn't mean that I'm not watching. Heh,heh, heh.

Old Jan-15-2009, 11:47 AM

USA

HEY! I just read your post Grace, and did a little digging and found this whole thread on the subject...and then *POOF*...somebody moved it here...hmmmm....

I can't believe I missed this one originally...love all the thoughts on this one, well done people, people...

BTW, the reason for my posting this now, was that this was just put up TODAY on Blabbermouth....guess they are a wee bit behind...

And BTW...there's too many damn sub-categories here to find everything...I'm freaking lost...
Old Feb-25-2009, 1:47 AM

Russia

Classic Rock 02-2009

Hello there!
Please, do the scans from Classic Rock Magazine 02-2009 (Deep Purple Special) - still can't get it... Thanks and Good Luck!!!
Radislav
Old Feb-26-2009, 6:03 PM

USA

My 2 cents

Hey.
It's been a while since i posted, so i guess i better write something down to keep my status up

I have also desired more Trapeze relics with Glenn on vocals.
Off the top of my head i have to say that that band had grit, raw energy, good fat bottom end and finesse just to mention a few things. I mean stuff you could really sink your teeth into, as is the case with Glenn's other stuff too ( didn't want to downplay Glenn's other work -i love it all).
But Trapeze was really special right?
I'll tell you about the first time i heard Trapeze.
I was sitting back, around a campfire with friends after a music festival in 1988. We were up all night partying, it was almost sunrise, and my friend put's in a tape. Everything was good and it was nice. (it usually takes me a few listens to an album to really start enjoying it emensly). Anyway, we're sitting there, then came this scream ! I mean up from the soul, turning and twisting until it came all the way out. Goodness gracious ! I mean i sat up and shouted right on man ! "Who is this?" i asked. My friend the music Guru proudly quipped "G.H. from Trapeze". That memory has never died. I'm not sure what song it was, i think "Your Love Is Allright" about 2/3's of the way thru.

You know, i wonder how long it would have taken me to discover Trapeze without that friend of mine. He was a big collector & constantly purchased stuff from the Goldmine publication -(the only method for rare stuff other than record shows before the internet daze hit). I mean, i was too young & little to even hear of Trapeze in their heyday, and just barely old enough to catch songs of Purple Mark II on the radio airwaves. Ofcourse, Smoke On The Water, which received lots of airplay on my local radio station, was the first i heard of Purple. I was just a kid, but i knew i liked it. I never ever recalled hearing Trapeze on radio or Mark III, IV. The city i grew up in here in the midwest was pretty conservative as well as the radio stations. I was deprived

Even later on, my high school friends who had all the rare Purple collectables didn't know of Trapeze. It wasn't until way past high school, when my friendships gravitated towards serious music lovers alike, that i was turned on.

So yes, i wish there was more Trapeze relics with Glenn, but i suppose the lure of an invitation to join a band that already had an established name like Purple, was more than Glenn could resist.
- if that was even the case, i don't know.
If anyone knows the story leading up to Glenn joining forces with Purple, lay it on me.

...Everyday, wheels are turnin'
Old Feb-26-2009, 6:47 PM

USA

Originally Posted by hughes/thrall_rulez View Post
they won' tour anymore

this is the last update i ve just read...iwish that they change their mind if sir coverdale filled for robert

i like the song remains the same too much but i agree the studio version is a bit strange when u come to robert's voice

But Coverdale can't sing anymore either!!(only in the studio) I can't imagine Zep doing all the singing while DC mimes or just sings bits and pieces and points his mic at the crowd. This is his standard schtik this days. Watch this and wince:

http://www.vimeo.com/2568080
Old Feb-26-2009, 6:57 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Originally Posted by KeepOnMovin View Post
but i suppose the lure of an invitation to join a band that already had an established name like Purple, was more than Glenn could resist.
- if that was even the case, i don't know.
If anyone knows the story leading up to Glenn joining forces with Purple, lay it on me.

You should take a listen to this radio broadcast, Glenn explains exactly how it all came about.
Old Mar-04-2009, 1:22 PM

UK

Originally Posted by wolfysmith View Post

he also says he wants Metallica to do Soldier of Fortune.

God, I hope not, they made an absolute hash of "Whiskey In the Jar"!!!!
Old Mar-05-2009, 5:52 PM

USA

Way back in '88, I saw Metallica do a little bit of "Mistreated" live. Personally, I'm not sure that Lars has the jazzy chops to handle Paice's faster Mk III stuff, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old Apr-08-2009, 2:34 PM

USA

Originally Posted by wolfysmith View Post
there's also a short piece by Lars Ulrich (Metallica) saying he loves MKIII DP and would fill in for Ian Paice if Glenn and DC get together with RB.

he also says he wants Metallica to do Soldier of Fortune.

I don't think Lars is good enough to begin to come close to Paice.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Share Thread

Tags
1975, 1978, 1981, 1988, 2009, album, albums, autobiography, book, classic rock, cover, David, Deep Purple, drums, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, guitar, history, Hughes/Thrall, journey, smoke on the water, solo, styles, tommy bolin, tour, Trapeze