g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Media Centre Interviews & the Press; pictures, video & soundbytes.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May-27-2008, 8:05 AM

USA

What is the big deal here ?? IT is ONE review by ONE person. There is no definitive right or wrong when you are a critic/ reviewer in the entertainment business.

I read lousy reviews of some great albums, movies, TV series' and it did not stop me from listening or watching. Crap, I hear these reviews of how "Great" the new American Idol is, and in my minute of exposure to his/her brand of garbage music and BS voice would say it is horrid. We had the Amy Winehouse disagreement sometime back here. Many of you love her, I think she is crap. I do not think that makes either side right or wrong or less enlightened to the music at hand. If all reviews were of the 5-star variety then no one would make a decision based on what they as an individual are hearing. If you like an artist from the past, buy and make your own evaluation. If I or anyone else went by one review for everything you would miss out on loads of great stuff and have a collection of stuff you will never listen to again.

I know this type of thinking is not novel to any of you, since if you did not have such a positive view of Glenn's work you would not even comment. The passion is outstanding to hear, but to dismiss a writer as without knowledge is a bit over the edge. There is no black and white right or wrong...it is called an opinion and is much like going to the polls to vote for a candidate. No one has ever won an election 100% to 0%. Three judges watched the same fight and had different scores...so who is right?? They are professionals scoring based on what they saw, and if three people sitting two feet apart watch the same thing and see something different it is because everyone has a different angle on things.

For the record, I like the album a great deal I do not enjoy it as much as Soul Mover, but that is just my own musical preference, and if yours differs I will still listen to what you have to say and make my own decision.

We all want the same for Glenn, and we all appreciate everything he does as an artist and person (I will NEVER forget his great attitude at BB Kings), but not everyone thinks the same way we do. Let's have a thread based on the POSITIVE reviews instead of tearing down the mediocre one. We have given much too much space to a single negative and not enough to all the positives.

Sorry for being so long-winded, I got way too much rest last night
Old May-27-2008, 11:34 AM

UK

I agree with the last couple of posts; i think people are getting a bit too defensive over any criticism of glenn's work. Not the first thread I've seen it.

FCinnella an excellent post; I agree with your sentiments 100%. A top post.

FWIW - my thoughts are like those per the DPAS - oil and water is tremendous & that song that uses the riff from Aerosmiths Shut up and Dance rocks superbly. The rest, well, I reserve my own personal judgement. Those who like it, turn it up and enjoy.

Those who don't - there should be at least 2 or 3 tunes to add to the catalogue of great GH songs from accross the ages.
Old May-29-2008, 10:16 AM

UK

Jamiroquai is a valid artist, Weisheim if a bit samey. But J made his first album about 20 years after Trapeze. So I think it's the other way round. I don't think Glenn is trying to sound like anyone particularly but yes you are right it's just one review and I don't think loose and casual comparisons by a freelance journo who hasn't done his research on the artist is a professional approach by this mainstream publisher.
Old Jun-02-2008, 3:47 AM

UK

Classic Rock review - My reply!!

Hi all, Its nearly time for the UK gigs and I cant wait!
Please read below my response to Classic Rock's ignorant review of FUNK.

Let me know what you think! (I have emailed it to them, doubt they willl print it)

See you all in Wolverhampton/Liverpool

This month has been so busy that i only got round to reading the July issue whilst sat on the crapper. Whilst enjoying my solitary sanitary moment I stumbled across Terry Staunton's review of Glenn Hughes' First Underground Nuclear Kitchen album. Once I reached the 'paperwork' stage imagine my delight of having a choice! Double quilted velvet, or Terry's review. I quickly decided that the review wasn't even fit for this purpose.
You see my problem with it, is that (and I am kinda guessing here) he was sent this CD to review with a scribbled note saying 'this is the guy from Deep Purple, let me know what you think'

Its a review by a guy who knows nothing of Glenn's past but is all to quick to criticise. He accuses Mr Hughes of seeing 'how far they can go from their musical Square One' If Mr Staunton was to bother to look (or dare I even say listen) to any of the classic Trapeze albums then maybe he would appreciate that Glenns 2 year stay in Purple way a move away from his funk/soul roots and to me, this was Glenn pushing his boundaries.

As for applauding musicians for trying to stretch themselves, I totally agree. But i do feel Glenn has found his groove and is making music for himself, not a corporate rock label. He has a comprehensive solo back catalogue to call on now and has freely admitted, living off the purple stuff is not the way ahead.

First Underground Nuclear Kitchen is a masterpiece and Glenn continues to grow. This guy is a national treasure. I know the fact he is 'returning to his roots' may loose him a couple of fans in the classic rock world, but if your are intent on criticism relating to his past, please do him, me and the world the courtesy of understanding it.

To end, I think spelling the word FUNK from the title is quite clever, so to continue in the same vein I can sum up Terry Staunton's review as

Something
Horrible
In
Text,
Evidently!

Geddit?

Ian Dunbar
Liverpool
Old Jun-02-2008, 3:04 PM

UK

Ian I think that will get printed. It reads well. In fact word has it that they are going to have to print at least one of the letters. They have quite a few apparently! I hope to see you on Saturday? Make yourself known. I am the hairless old fart looking hassled.
Old Jun-02-2008, 5:58 PM

USA

Ian, your letter is great!!!
Old Jun-03-2008, 11:32 AM

UK

Nice one Ian - see you at the weekend

Mikey D
Old Jun-03-2008, 12:01 PM

USA

good one ian, i liked it alot. i agree w/ you though that you probably are not going to see that printed in their next(or any) issue.
peace and cheers,
Old Jun-06-2008, 3:30 AM

UK

Well, since I've been a Glennie since the begining, I have to say it would'nt bother me at all if I never heard Glenn sing another Purple song again, he has too many good songs from his solo work to play live, the problem is, a lot of people expect the Purple tunes at the shows, and the jurno's won't let him forget his past. To be truthful Glenn himself has no reason to disown what he did with Purple. The review isn't that bad, its just mis informed.
Old Jun-07-2008, 12:56 PM

USA

Originally Posted by Johngh View Post
I have to say it would'nt bother me at all if I never heard Glenn sing another Purple song again

I'm in total agreement with you!!
Old Jun-21-2008, 10:07 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,491 Posts
Apparently, a couple of our responses made it into the latest issue of UK based, Classic Rock magazine, if anyone happens to have it, would be great to see a scan of exactly what they printed!
Old Jun-21-2008, 10:58 AM

Austria

I have only caught up reading this thread now, because I didn't really care about it until now.

Frank, I agree a 100% with you, but as it seems we're back to slagging off the one critical review here again.
No need to say that I really like the FUNK album, but I am also a big friend of healthy discussion.
And I believe firmly that there is no such thing as good or bad music, it's just a matter of taste. Some you like and some you don't.
While I enjoyed reading Ian's letter to Classic Rock, honestly, the Reader's Corner is full of such postings every month, including occasional whilst sitting on the crapper comments.
I actually never cared about the Classic Rock review. I only read it long after I had listened to the album myself because the mag is always very late on sale around here.
And in the end it's the critic's opinion. It's like a referee's decision. You can discuss it, but you have to respect it.
I only fear that if critical opinions are continuosly being slagged off here, less and less people will talk out openly.
Have I mentioned that I still don't like the studio version of Never Say Never?
Now slagg me off.
Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jun-21-2008, 11:11 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,491 Posts
I hear what you're saying Christian, but where I come from on this particular review, is that it is written with such complete disregard and ignorance. You know how much of an uphill battle it is to reach the masses and to have this twat write a review without any fact checking, tee'ed me off to put it mildly

You and I have to do our jobs with knowledge and I expect the same from everyone else, including journalists! Like it or not, Classic Rock, has a large subscription base and it's important, facts aren't fudged or ignored, when it comes to reviews of new and vital music, especially for the younger upcoming readership. At least Kerrang managed to approach it the right way!

Anyway, I'm done with this topic now
Old Jun-21-2008, 12:25 PM

UK

David and Mikey "the bass it dont lie" Dowson got their letters published.

im going to a gig in 10 minutes (Blanco Diablo) but will scan them tomorrow if no one else has by then.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jun-21-2008, 1:26 PM

UK

Icon34

Well said David ignorant reviews do need to be challenged as "classic rock" is one of the view music magazines to cover Glenns work and misinformed reviews can put off casual fans and former Purple fans from purchasing the album and thus cost Glenn potential income.

The album is one of Glenns very best and an honest review would give it at least 8 out of 10, whilst i would give 10/10 but then i am a bit biased.

Also why have Classic Rock not had any feature interviews about the new album with Glenn as the last couple of releases Soulmover and M4TD had good coverage? I suppose their was no space due more articles on Led Zep, Guns and Roses, Thin Lizzy etc, yawn.
Old Jun-23-2008, 2:38 PM

Austria

You're right David. It's a difficult battle!
And bad press especially in a magazine like Classic Rock is certainly a damper.

I can't stand people who talk about, write about something or try to tell you a story without knowing the facts or even worse leaving half of the facts details out.
I just can't take them seriously.
The dangerous thing is though, that most of the people don't care and take the information as it is being served.
I'm not going to talk about news networks, politics or anything else here, but you know where I'm going.

I might have been a little too "generally saying" in my other post.
It IS a bad review by all means.
But I'm glad you got my other point

Topic closed for me too.

Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jun-24-2008, 8:18 AM

UK

I sent them a mail saying that my shots of several bands were of much better quality than those they used in their gig reviews....Got a real snotty reply from them LOL....Perheps it's because my name isn't Halfin LOL
Old Jun-24-2008, 5:40 PM

USA

Icon32

Originally Posted by David View Post
Apparently, a couple of our responses made it into the latest issue of UK based, Classic Rock magazine, if anyone happens to have it, would be great to see a scan of exactly what they printed!

Here you go...David's and Mikey's letters to CR.
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
CR#121-1.jpg   CR#121.jpg  
Old Jun-29-2008, 2:08 PM

USA

I pay zero attention to these reviews...I don't think i'm even going to read this one. I never even heard of this review until I was told about it Sat night, as I never clicked this thread. So in my scope of things, this reviewer's opinion is meaningless

John

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Share Thread

Tags
1989, 2005, album, albums, Astoria, bands, bass, Chad Smith, classic rock, cover, David, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, history, MySpace, press, related, solo, solo album, soul mover, styles, The Robin, tour, track, Trapeze