g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May-10-2005, 9:02 AM

Japan

Icon43 HTP HTP HTP

I was listening to HTP and HTP 2 this morning.

It looks as if HTP albums were gone with the wind.

But, I think that the 2 albums by HTP do have very strong/sharp songs.

GH may never wish to look back HTP at the moment but I think they are really great albums

I hope someday, I can listen to the songs live as well as to Soulmover tunes and Fused tunes in Japan.
Old May-10-2005, 9:30 AM

USA

Icon49

I agree with you, Tony.

Plus, I thought that there would be lots more HTP,
in a collaboration effort between Glenn and Joe,
based on the interview comments - that they enjoyed
working with each other.

All of a sudden..........that was it. They "said everything"
that they wanted to say in the 2 albums, and were now
moving on to other projects.

I wonder what happened?

Grace

PS....Where's more photos of your 2 boys?
Old May-10-2005, 2:51 PM

Spain

HTP I & II ARE GREAT ALBUMS AND WE STILL ENJOY WITH SONGS AS DEVIL'S ROAD AND HOLD ON
Old May-10-2005, 3:24 PM

USA

i loved these two albums as well but if i remember glenns comments correctly part of his dissatisfaction with the whole thing was he couldnt perform the songs he wanted when i got the live in toyko cd i noticed much more joe turner on it ( dont get me wrong- i like joe) i was playing it waiting to hear glenn - i still liked it but i thought that flawed the whole thing
Old May-10-2005, 4:05 PM

Japan

Yes it was a part of my dissatisfaction too that the songs were not performed live as much as we wished. (though I enjoyed old DP/Rainbow songs)

Would it be possible for the great songs chosen again and performed live even not as HTP but as GH solo? What do we think? (We may miss Joe's voice but GH can perform the whole part of each song on his own)

I think it is a shame if the great songs are archived down without seeing the light of the sun..... If some songs are chosen and added to Soulmover/Fused tour set list, it will be just great.
Old May-10-2005, 4:21 PM

Austria

same comment from me here, concerning the Live CD - too much Joe on it (and I'm not a big fan, still he's ok for me), and the Studio Albums certainly had big moments, but I agree - two of them are enough!

I enjoy Heavy Rockers like Devil's Road, You Can't Stop Rock'n'Roll, the funky Better Man and especially On The Ledge (very proggy) on the first Album, plus Revelation (a little Speed-Kingy) and especially Losing My Head (a greeeeeaaaaaat tune!!) on the second. This awful Joe semi-ballad Solo song (title escapes me, it's track 6, 7 or something) should have been left off. - just my two cents, don't kill me.

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old May-10-2005, 8:02 PM

USA

I do like the two albums as well... and feel what Glenn said about them and how they where not his style of writing music. Still as said Great albums. Friday night a gang of us are going to see Joe play at the Chance, was wondering if there was a hope in hell of hearing any of the HTP songs on his tour. I some-how dought it.. with him pushing a new album and all... we can hope!!!

scottscars's Sig:st
Old May-11-2005, 9:07 AM

Japan

Originally Posted by Tony Takano
Yes it was a part of my dissatisfaction too that the songs were not performed live as much as we wished. (though I enjoyed old DP/Rainbow songs)

What I heard from a staff of the Japanese promoter of the HTP2 tour is that they initially asked Glenn and Joe to play more HTP2 songs but, for some reason, Glenn and Joe turned down the idea and played more old DP/Raibow songs just like in their first HTP tour. I still wonder why.
Old May-11-2005, 3:13 PM

USA

Originally Posted by chrisloeb
same comment from me here, concerning the Live CD - on the second. This awful Joe semi-ballad Solo song (title escapes me, it's track 6, 7 or something) should have been left off. - just my two cents, don't kill me.

Cheers,
Christian

Ooh yes....If there's anything more annoying about album two is that they went and rewrote the excellent JLT ballad from HTP1. Now JLT has a couple of new ballads on his excellent new Usual Suspects that have different feels to them, so why did they have to rip off the previous album's song? Yes it should have been left off and they should have wrote one that wasn't such a copy of Mystery in the Heart. I think it's even in the same key as Mystery of the Heart....and Glenn even plays a bass part mimicking the vocal in the verse in the same rythm as he does it on Mystery.

John
Old May-11-2005, 11:58 PM

USA

I think both albums are great, HTP1 is a nod to the past and for the fans (very solid). I actually think HTP2 is one of the best things either two have done, a large portion of it is very modern rock, but with great melodies (unlike most younger modern rock bands).

While I agree with "Time and Again" being a rip off Mystery of the Heart, I also think the HTP ballads were far superior to any of JLT's ballads from his solo CDs (that is until Usual Suspects). I don't think JLT's heart was in the ballads, but the record company wanted at least one per record.

The unfortunate part about losing HTP is that nobody was doing what these guys were doing, Hard Rock with a twin lead vocal attack. I am looking forward to the Iommi stuff, but I'll take HTP over Iommi any day.

As for why they are no longer together, I think it's a combination of things and both of them are class guys. Maybe down the line, we'll get an HTP3... who knows.

I'll be at the Chance and NJ JLT shows this weekend, should be a blast.

Fbelt39867's Sig:Frank B.
Old May-12-2005, 5:45 AM

USA

Wish I had the chance to catch JLT in the Northeast with you guys. I feel that the HTP stuff is some of the better listening in my collection, which is both diverse and large. The HTP Live disc is almost always first choice when driving further than a few miles, and both studio discs get plenty of playing time also.
Personally, I prefer the three HTPs over both the Iommi and "Soulmover" albums, and are some of Glenn's best collaborations to date. I know I have heard raves here about Soulmover, but it does not suit my own taste quite like HTP. Also, JLTs previous solo album was a wonderful collection of rock, ballads and just simply moving songs. We will miss HTP in my house, but the music will always be a reminder of one of the finest collaborations by two brilliant vocalists ever recorded.
Old May-12-2005, 7:55 AM

USA

Icon49

Maybe Glenn and Joe will read these posts,
call each other up on the phone and say,

"Hey, we created some great music. Let's finagle
our schedules and get together, and give these people HTP 3. "
Old May-12-2005, 8:07 AM

USA

Thumbs up The Scandanavian Connection

I do enjoy listening to "Live In Tokyo" as well, but would have really loved to have heard a live set with JJ, Tomas and Kjell working the engine room behind Glenn and Joe. I know that the "Tokyo Mafia" as Joe called them, do a letter perfect recreation of the parts on the HTP and various Rainbow and DP tracks..but Glenn has said that the "feel" with the Scandanavian band was totally different..and ANY chance to hear JJ work his magic is way cool by me!

In listening to the studio albums, the tracks I enjoy the most are the ones that sound less like Rainbow/DP reconstructions and more like an attempt for an original sound. I still get knocked back by "Along The Ledge", "Lost Dreams", Revelation" , "Let's Talk About It Later", "Fade Away",and especially the soaring "Burning The Sky".

Perhaps there may be another chapter in the HTP story...till then I will always enjoy the story thus far!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old May-12-2005, 10:01 AM

Japan

We had BTM, HTP, HTP Live, HTP II, SITKOR, Dep, Soulmover, Fused and SLITCOA just in 2 years or so. I confess that I was confused which was from HTP and which was from SITKOR for example.

It meant to me that HTP songs were all GH songs except JLT ballads. (Shane, JJ etc were common to GH solo albums)

HTP 3 may not be possible ever again but I just wish the GH songs be performed live again.

Ko san,

I think Tokyo mafia was not ready for some new mateirals from HTP2. When the reheasal stuck, Joe and the manager suggested to do more old but familiar DP/Rainbow songs for Tokyo Mafia believing they would have another chance to mature HTP materials in a near future. But sincere/serious artist GH could not compromise. Then Joe offerred GH to do some GH songs on his own to balance. It is just my thoughts...
Old May-12-2005, 4:30 PM

USA

i never considered this but of course the band could have definetly had something to do with the songs on the live album
Old May-18-2005, 9:09 AM

Japan

Originally Posted by Tony Takano
Ko san,

I think Tokyo mafia was not ready for some new mateirals from HTP2. When the reheasal stuck, Joe and the manager suggested to do more old but familiar DP/Rainbow songs for Tokyo Mafia believing they would have another chance to mature HTP materials in a near future. But sincere/serious artist GH could not compromise. Then Joe offerred GH to do some GH songs on his own to balance. It is just my thoughts...

But they played the same set list (predominantly with old songs) in the following European tour..... So, the Tokyo Mafia mightg not be the reason

Ko
Old May-18-2005, 4:04 PM

Japan

Ko san, good point.

Then what about these?

1. GH wished to do HTP songs but Joe did not wish to.

2. Once the set list is stabled, both GH and Joe did not wish to change them.
Old Apr-24-2007, 2:56 AM

Australia

Icon35

I really hope there will be a HTP 3.. I do love the two studio albums plus it was a dream team for me because i'm a fan of both Glenn and Joe... Just be very, very happy with what i've got I s'pose..
Old Feb-11-2008, 5:47 AM

Finland

HTP 3 would be great and I'm sure Turner is up to it, but not so sure if Glenn wants to make a hard rock / metal album at this point of his career.
Old Feb-11-2008, 1:52 PM

France

Originally Posted by JSP View Post
HTP 3 would be great and I'm sure Turner is up to it, but not so sure if Glenn wants to make a hard rock / metal album at this point of his career.

agree with you !! I think Glenn is actually in another way of music..
Old Feb-12-2008, 6:57 AM

USA

I don't think Glenn will journey much down the metal road
anymore. If he still wanted to, then he would have done another
album with Iommi or the project with Schenker. I think he will
travel the funky highway from now on. Which is fine with me.
I have really enjoyed his metal years & hard rock years but am
looking forward to hearing more Trapeze/Hughes-Thrall type of
material from Big Papa. That's where his heart is at.
Galleyfan

galleyfan's Sig:SCOTT
Old Feb-13-2008, 5:10 AM
schreinermusic

...and dont forget that there actually IS a HTP 3 ...sorta...Im talking about the "Made In Moscow" recording which is absolutely not that bad at all!

I hope the next album will be really funky, if its not supposed to be classic rock anymore, but I mean really funky, no RHCP.

Cheers, Achim
Old Apr-16-2008, 10:26 AM

Netherlands

Originally Posted by Tony Takano View Post
Ko san, good point.

Then what about these?

1. GH wished to do HTP songs but Joe did not wish to.

2. Once the set list is stabled, both GH and Joe did not wish to change them.

How about they didn't want or had the time to rehearse all these new songs. Throwing in a few DP / Rainbow songs in there would be much easier.

Also I think GH/JLT think they draw bigger crowds when playing the classic hits in favor of new HTP songs.....although I don't agree with this point of view.....
Old May-02-2008, 9:08 AM

Germany

I agree to galleyfan , Glenn is on a funky road and HTP 3 will never be happen . I like the two studio albums but I have some problems with the Live in Tokyo CD and that's not because of Glenn !!! The Band played some songs much too fast ( listen to " Can' stop the Flood " ) , the Keyboards sounds sometimes like a 20 $ Casio , and the Guitar player must be an Yngwie-Fanatic . This album played by Glenn ' s regular Band with JJ on Guitar would be much better.But that's the past , now we all are looking forward to hear F.U.N.K . !!!!!!

Cheers

Avalon51's Sig: I know that I've been sometimes wrong
I feel my faith is growing strong
There is a place that I belong
These are the days of avalon

Old May-14-2008, 5:56 AM

UK

Hmmm

I thought it was JJ on that album ? Whoever it is does a great job of the solo on Devil's Road... Or am I thinking it is JJ on the original?? He plays on the whole album right??

confused!!
Col
Old May-19-2008, 4:02 AM

Germany

Aerocol , the guitar player on " Live in Tokyo " is Akira Kajiyama .
Sure he's a really good heavy metal guitarist , but I think he don't fits so well to this kind of melodic hard rock . Please compare " Can't stop the flood " with the live - version on " Soulfully live in the city of angels " , you hear the difference !!
JJ , George Nastos , ED Roth and Chad Smith played it perfect .

P.S. : My favourite songs from the two studio albums are "Sister Midnight" and "Losing my Head" .

Avalon51's Sig: I know that I've been sometimes wrong
I feel my faith is growing strong
There is a place that I belong
These are the days of avalon

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
album, albums, bands, bass, Chad Smith, classic rock, glenn, guitar, HTP, journey, solo, solo album, tour, track, Trapeze, win