g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug-25-2006, 6:05 AM

USA

Icon32

After letting the disc cool off from non-stop playing right after I got it, it's back out getting additional spins.

A very cool album

Chip
Old Aug-25-2006, 7:00 PM

USA

M4TD

My perspective will be different. I am coming to his music differently than most. I have listened to early Trapeze for over 30 years, than nothing else of GH until recently acquainting myself and family to him again....then we got Soul Mover and now M4TD. Now we have Soulfully Live and Fused, with some more on the way.

Even though I don't have all his music, I would never compare any of it, that doesn't make sense to me. I write music and have for 30 years, I don't compare my latest song to anything else I've done, nor would I want anyone else to. Changes in life bring changes in music, I celebrate it or do something else.

Music For The Divine is nothing short of brilliant in my book, as is everything I've heard from Glenn. This is not a normal singer, this is not just a great singer, this is a singer that is on a level so much higher and different than anyone I've heard in the rock idiom (or many others) and certainly a level higher than his critics, and unless I really have been living in a cave and am missing his critics' own original music, there is no case against the smallest part and it's not credible except under the heading of personal taste. As his contemporaries said about Hendrix, we're not even in the same building. Great songs can strike you all at once or grow on you. These did both for me.
I would give my right leg to play in his band, but I'm afraid I would just stop and watch. Good Lord this is excellent.
Old Aug-26-2006, 8:44 AM

Italy

review from the July issue of Classix (IT) + translation

These are the reviews I like......
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
MFTD.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Divinity on Earth.doc (20.5 KB, 11 views)
Old Aug-26-2006, 3:13 PM

USA

thanks again conchita- strat335 -i agree with what you say about glenn
Old Aug-27-2006, 2:25 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Here's another postitive review

Quote:
DVDivas.net

He is considered not only the best metal vocalist, but also one of the greatest soul singers ever, and you really don't know which to place first. Having a rich background which is self explanatory leading up to his monstrous solo career that in recent years has taken a turn towards personal interests (funk, soul, straightforward hard rock), leaving the melodic metal for other projects, i.e. Iommi, Voodoo Hill, etc., but that is not to say that he isn't capable of still producing some phenomenal records; he's still it you know.

Most notably recently having been teaming up with Red Hot Chili Peppers' drummer Chad Smith on recent albums, the leanage towards the hard edged R&B sound returns the singer/bassist to his days when he played on classic Purple records like 'Burn' and especially 'Come Taste the Band,' which is very far fetched from his Sabbath days, but nevertheless, his stance for melody and groove is intact as always for a record that stands for a higher point of accessibility among any rock fan today, not going way to far into AOR while forbidding itself from plunging too deep into the depths of funk and even mainstream elements; so there is a perfect balance here, and enough heaviness to keep the metalheads interested.

Stand out moments like the opening Who reminiscent "The Valiant Denial," the sub-acoustic "This House," the cover of "Nights in White Satin," and the highly groove oriented "Black Light" prove that Hughes' knack for rockin' out and prowess for song has not been lost, and probably will not be lost on any faction with any future release. So with whatever musical endeavor Hughes provides his voice to, again, he proves, he's it, he's is; 'nuff said.

http://www.dvdivas.net/ProgVoices/H/hughesglenn-music.html
Old Sep-09-2006, 4:33 PM

UK

Icon20

Beers, sun shining, beach, M4TD.

What more could a girl ask for? ... Softail? Road King? (being greedy now )

Every now and then you HEAR the album and think 'wow.' Then if you leave it a week or two before playing it again it's double wow How do Glenn and Chad DO that?

You've seen the light Daniel ... and depending on how many beers you had today you may have seen little green men as well but that's another story!

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Sep-10-2006, 12:11 PM

Spain

Originally Posted by danielb View Post
A friend and I were on the beach earlier today, sun shining, having a few beers. I played M4TD on my Ipod and it really kicked in. I think I felt the same thing Chad hinted at in the latest podcast, the thing about hearing so much hope in Glenn's singing etc. Really cool - the album's taken a couple of months to get properly settled and now it feels "big". I think the album on a whole really gives you a feeling of where Glenn is at right now in his life, which makes it quite moving and beautiful somehow. I am not sure I'm talking sense here, but hopefully some of you know what I'm talking about? It feels very honest and while listening to it a second time on the bike ride home I really got a good feeling about life in general and the potential there is... that you really have the ability to shape your own life and make your dreams come true. This might sound corny, bordering on religious, but I got a really good feeling from the music, which I wanted to share with you.

I completely agree Daniel, I got the same feeling and still get it everytime I listen to it, there is much hope and beauty in it, and don't think it sounds corny or bordering on religious, cos I feel the same and I'm atheist! lol I think you dont have to be religious to be spiritual, different things...
...tho maybe I'm corny!...

Inmaculada's Sig:

http://www.myspace.com/inmaculada_gil
Old Sep-15-2006, 7:20 PM

zUKUSA

Here's another review - this time from the July 2006 issue of UK rock magazine, PowerPlay

Old Sep-26-2006, 11:35 AM

Sweden

Icon38 MFTD

Hello ..When mftd came out i wasnt blown away.But now i have too say this album is so great,My fav is Blacklight,steppin on,monkeyman and the rest of the MFTD. Does any body feel like i do I hope Glenn comes to Sweden soon.Wish you all very best,And you David you are ..gribban
Old Sep-26-2006, 2:23 PM

UK

Icon49

Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
... Every now and then you HEAR the album and think 'wow.' Then if you leave it a week or two before playing it again it's double wow How do Glenn and Chad DO that?

I LOVE it, gribban!! You Got Soul is my fave this week (woman's prerogative to change her mind ) closely followed by Too High.

I hope you get your wish and that he gets to Sweden real soon.

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jan-25-2007, 5:32 AM

zUKUSA

The USA release is starting to get into the hands of the media here and the first reviews are now coming in

The Chattanooga Pulse - January 24th, 2007
http://www.chattanoogapulse.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2007/01/24/45b689abc5354
Quote:
Off the radar in the States since its European issue on Frontiers Records last Summer, a new hard rock masterpiece from rock royalty is released domestically next week - gobsmacking me squarely in my old school, FM-radio frontal lobes. The former voice of Deep Purple and Trapeze, GLENN HUGHES may have turned 55 last year, but please, line up the young ‘uns and let the legend show them what a frontman is really all about. With his classic, soulful, golden tone refreshingly grand in response to so much whiny emo broken hearts and edgy malcontents, the new album, "Music for the Divine", is also one heck of a players’ album, ready to feed a nation of hungry, headbanging, wang tang strutting guitarists and drummers, punching their radios in disgust and begging, "where’s the rock?"

Fueled by the crisp beat of Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith and the expressive guitar work of J.J. Marsh, Smith’s Chili Peppers partner in crime, John Frusciante, turns in some tasty lead on two tracks including the lone cover on the album, The Moody Blues’ "Nnights In White Satin". Recorded in Smith’s Hollywood Hills home - the former residence of Cary Grant - the magic is bristling and alive. Go forth and rock thee...

Caustic Truths Magazine, Canada

Quote:
GLENN HUGHES’ ‘MUSIC FOR THE DIVINE’ RECEIVES US RELEASE ON JANUARY 30

Glenn Hughes, whose vocal talents have earned the singer the title of "the voice of rock", has entered the newest phased of his storied career with "Music for the Divine", the vocalist/musician’s latest collaboration with drummer Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers).

Set for release January 30 in America on Demolition Records, "Music for the Divine" is a testament to Hughes’ versatility and ability to grow.

"I had bought a 1955 Martin acoustic and I hadn’t written on acoustic in a long time," said Hughes.

This is How I Feel, This House, Frail and The Divine were all the product of Hughes’ acoustic experimentation, but Hughes was also writing with the idea that he wanted to create an album that could be scored with strings.

"He’s not stuck in the past," Smith said. "It’s modern, new music. This album represents the full spectrum of Glenn’s music and it’s a great statement about where he’s at now. It’s very honest."

With the love of funk seeded deeply in his soul, Hughes underlined each song with its own funky style. Smith, Hughes’ partner in crime in recent years, acted as a sounding board for Hughes’ demos before the musicians came together with longtime guitarist JJ Marsh to flesh out the tracks. The trio, along with help from Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante and Mark Kilian on keys and string arrangements, recorded "Music for the Divine" live at Smith’s Hollywood Hills home.

"I don’t think I can ever go back to recording any other way," Hughes said. "Chad is an amazing arranger and he is the most musical drummer that I have ever worked with, and remember that I have worked with some of the greatest drummers."

The Hughes/Smith musical relationship dates back to the NAMM show in 2002, where one of Smith sponsors, Sabian, heard about Hughes’ show and suggested that the duo would be a "match made in rhythm heaven." Smith, who had been a big fan of Hughes’ work in Deep Purple decades before, gladly accepted the offer.

"Chad came down to my rehearsal and we clicked immediately," said Hughes. "He sat in on half of my set at the show and has been my wife ever since!"

"We played the show and it was fantastic," Smith said. "We hit it off immediately, musically and personally. He comes from a very similar background - soul, funk. It’s a really fun working relationship. Really, it’s just fun playing. I think Glenn us the best singer of his generation. He gets better and stronger. It’s amazing what a gift he has."

"I am extremely grateful that I have been given the gift to be a songwriter," Hughes said. "It is like a tap has been switched on and it is continually flowing. It has been like this for about three or four years, and I am humbled by it and I don’t take it for granted."

Old Jan-25-2007, 9:37 AM

USA

I'm glad you posted that David, that's great! Susan has sent it to the 3 main rock stations in Houston.
Alright, this is fantastic, I hope it dominoes!
Old Jan-25-2007, 1:24 PM

UK

Anyone Stateside have any info on Demolition Records?

Have they got the resources to give this the promotion it deserves and needs?

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jan-25-2007, 1:57 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by wolfysmith View Post
Anyone Stateside have any info on Demolition Records?

Have they got the resources to give this the promotion it deserves and needs?

Too early to tell wolfy, but so far so good. They also handle a bunch of others over here such as Y&T, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Vixen, Spike, The Quireboys, David Lee Roth, Hanoi Rocks to name just a few.
Old Feb-14-2007, 5:57 PM

zUKUSA

Another excellent review.....

Quote:
Joe Florez / LiveForMetal.com

Usually when someone else dubs you a nickname in the industry, it doesn’t really apply to that individual for whatever reason. In this case however, Glenn Hughes rightfully deserves the title of "Voice Of Rock." This is one individual who can sing rock, blues, R&B, soul, funk and then some. He has proved it time and time again.

The man is very busy with singing on numerous artists projects, but has managed to find the time to create another piece of art. Just like the last time, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith is back for more along with J.J. Marsh and now another member of RHCP has joined the fold for this record: John Frusciante.

"The Valiant Denial" is off to a running start with the perfect mix of slick bass playing from Glenn and melodies that just get your blood pumping, but in a positive way. Chad’s drumming is infectious and so damn rhythmic that I see why Mr. Hughes hired him. High impact energy is here and with The Voice Of Rock’s crooning voice that is smooth and packed with emotion I would like to call this the perfect song. It makes you just feel good. "Steppin’ On" is very funky and even manages to get a little tripped out at times. James Brown would be proud if he heard this. After rocking the house for at least three songs, "This House" brings it down several steps as it’s more laid back and the vocals are softer and gentler. One song that intrigued me was a cover of The Moody Blues,
"Nights In White Satin." This is a bit of a heavier version with louder and somewhat more distorted guitars and thicker bass licks. The voice also has more impact than the original.

I think what makes this record better than some of the other releases is the fact that Chad and John are on here. You have a couple of artists that also play in a funk/rock band and they all understand each other. You can hear it in the music and they also know how to play well off of each other.

This release is very diverse, making sure that there is a little something on here for everyone. It’s dynamic, funky and rockin.’ If you call yourself a self professed music fan like myself, then you must have this.

ABSOLUTELY zero disappointments here.

http://www.live4metal.com/reviews-480.htm
Old Mar-17-2007, 6:21 PM

USA

Icon47 NEW Music For The Divine Review!

Check it out...

http://www.blasting-zone.com/GlennHughes2.htm

Album of the year?

I think so.

Old Mar-18-2007, 2:21 PM

Ireland

A great review BlastingZone - welcome to the family, better late than never
Old Mar-18-2007, 7:07 PM

USA

Killer review, right on.
Someone has ears, and is articulate, too. No one in rock and roll can approach the talent of Glenn Hughes.
Old Mar-19-2007, 7:41 AM

USA

Icon49 Holy Smokes......

WOW ~
If ever a CD review sounded as if it were written
by a committee of (us) GH Crazy People.....this is it!

And to tell you the truth, when I first got M4tD,
I thought to myself that it was too good and too different,
to be appreciated by some jaded music reviewer.
I especially thought that "Frail" would get severely ridiculed.
Who writes a rock song about an old lady, lonely, and near death?
No ------- body.

Explanation needed?
Nothing on M4tD sounds like what's hitting the top of the charts.
There's nothing remotely similar to anything
"I love you, bay-beeee.........I don't mean may-beeee"
sung in a whiney / nasal voice.

I never post anything for lists of "favorite" GH CDs, etc.
Sure, I like some GH songs on a CD better than others,
but I try to figure out what GH is trying to say with each song.
There are a few songs that I dis-like...."Gasoline" is too frantic for me.
That's why there's a "skip" button on a CD player. : )

But when I think of THIS album.....I usually come up with:
"I'll tell you......somethin' FER nothin'....I'm not your monkey man."
And Glenn isn't even "singing" that line.
He's more ~ throwing an attitude at you ~ instead.
(Gee, I hope that my explanation makes sense to you people.)

Anyway, whoever this nameless reviewer is; please accept my apology.
The nail has been squarely hit on the head.
You "heard" it, and you "got" it.

And thanks for adding a discography of GH's other work, too,
for the benefit of your readers, whoever you are
Old Apr-22-2007, 8:36 PM

USA

Icon33 KNAC's M4TD review...

Another outstanding review of Music For The Divine, this time courtesy of KNAC.com

Here's a snippet....

Quote:
This record rolls out the Hughes repertoire of funk rock and soulful metal instrumentals, with occasional, well-placed keyboard and string arrangements. The material on this record, like 2005’s Soul Mover, reveals another “from the heart” and organically grown product. It is evident that Hughes did exactly what he wanted making this one, coming from a place of honesty and integrity, without any coercion from the suits at the record label to make a hit.

Full review here:

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=5503
Old Apr-24-2007, 3:12 AM

Australia

Icon35

off-topic but with regards to bonus tracks.. JLT's new album which is being sold from his website has been reported as having only 10 tracks in some forums but it came in the post today and it has two bonus tracks! presumably the european and japanese bonus tracks!

on-topic, i've had the Australian edition of 'MFTD' since it came out down here.. how does it compare with the japanese version?? does that have same or different bonus tracks??
Old Apr-24-2007, 9:14 AM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by mashworth74 View Post
i've had the Australian edition of 'MFTD' since it came out down here.. how does it compare with the japanese version?? does that have same or different bonus tracks??

If you visit this thread....that will answer your question - please remember in future, 'Search' is your friend here
Old Apr-24-2007, 11:17 AM

Spain

Hi,

just one question about USA release of M4TD.

I have received today the ameican release (Demolition Records), and I had a couple of surprises:

First as bonus track there is the edit of "This is how I feel", I thought that there was a video, the second one is that the first two songs scratch.

Can anybody tell me if the american release has only the edit or there are two diffrent issues, one with the video and another with the edit?

Thanks in advance.

Pere
Old Apr-24-2007, 12:44 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by Pere View Post
Can anybody tell me if the american release has only the edit or there are two diffrent issues, one with the video and another with the edit?

The USA promotional edition includes the video for "This House" (look out for another competition very soon ) - this is what was sent out to the media (not for general sale). You might trying looking for the clip via your computer - it was setup to auto-play when you stick it in your machine, but if you have that function turned off, it won't obviously It's an Apple Quicktime movie with a .MOV filename.
Old Apr-24-2007, 2:23 PM

Spain

Hi David,

once again thanks, I will try to do it.

Cheers.

Pere
Old Jun-08-2007, 12:41 AM

USA

always great

after giving them both ALOT of play, I think I like Soulmover better, as a complete album. But M4TD has alot of good moments on it. It amazes me how Glenn as of late has been able to rapidly put out so many QUALITY releases- no filler. It seems every time you turn around he is working, writing, etc.

Keep up the great work Big Daddy- you seem to only be getting better and better!!!
Old Jun-08-2007, 7:21 AM

CzechRepublic

Divine

When I heard this album for the first time, I was a little puzzled but now I think this is the best Glenns album for many years.

Really great! Chelsea
Old Mar-12-2008, 10:46 PM

USA

I need to revisit this one. At the time I was buying many Glenn albums at once, that this one got moved aside. Like many great things, it takes time to understand and appreciate.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
1969, 1976, 1985, 1992, 1996, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, addiction, album, albums, backing, bands, bass, book, Chad Smith, Chords, classic rock, cover, David, debut, Deep Purple, drums, GHCP, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glenn_hughes, guitar, HTP, hughes thrall, Hughes/Thrall, JJ Marsh, keys, Mel Galley, press, related, search, solo, solo album, soul mover, styles, tommy bolin, tour, track, Trapeze, Video, voodoo hill, win