g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Trapeze Talk about shows, setlists, albums, where are they now.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov-18-2001, 11:54 AM

Lightbulb Trapeze

This is probably going to be very boring for all you "old timers" on the site but I would like to gauge the feeling out there about the band I love.

What album/track do people rate the best?

What performance(Ive seen them 45 times)?

Why did they not get or receive the recognition they demand?

Do felow members respect Trapeze post Glenn?

Is there any Trapeze merchandise out there coz mine is faded too small and seen betterdays

Really want to start talking to you people coz Ive waited a long time to find kin.

Want to discuss the Drumming of Dave on "Welcome"
to the guitar of Mel. To the highest regard I have for Pete Goalby(Fable were a great band).That Pete Wright was a great bassist in his own right.

Just wanna talk!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov-18-2001, 12:59 PM

USA

Trapeze FREAK

This is billy..I am a LONGstanding Trapeze fan..from 1971-72 on.. Medusa was my first experience hearing this "funkrock" that absolutely flipped me and my band buds. By the time " You Are The Music" came out, we were analyzing each track...Did Mel play a Les Paul through a Marshall?.. or Laney? How did Glenn get that deep piano-string type tone? through what amp?...direct? Dave Holland IS the Grandaddy of all metal jack-hammer drummers!

Yeah..I could talk Trapeze forever!
May the Trapeze swing forever!
billy on bass
Old Nov-18-2001, 1:26 PM

Billy reply

Thank you for your reply

They were awesome

Where did you see them ?

Dave use to talk about them hot nights in 71/72
Old Nov-18-2001, 2:24 PM

USA

Trapeze fan

Right
I first saw Trapeze at the Majestic Theater in Dallas..I was totally blown away! This was just after You Are The Music was released..Glenn was playing his Fender P-bass thru Laney amps...Mel was playing a Gibson SG/Les Paul thru Laney amps as well(best I can remember)..
The next time I saw Trapeze was 1975..they had Pete Wright on bass(good bass player) and Rob Kendrick on guitar and vocals..This was not too long after Hot Wire was released(that album contains some of the best funk/rock I've ever heard)..but they payed not one song off Hot Wire(?)Seafull,You Are The Music,Black Cloud etc
It was a good show anyway
I saw Glenn a couple of times with DP , once with Ritchie Blackmore , once with Tommy Bolin,..
Then in 1976..after Deep Purple Trapeze did some "one-offs" in Texas..( be sure to check out teddybears pictures from this era!)

I'll stop here..I've seen Glenn several times with his own bands..never get enuff! He's too cool!!!
billy
Old Nov-19-2001, 1:51 PM

Thanks

Im 43 years old

Raised in Northampton England my parents ran (the best I can call it for you people in the States is a pub). For people in Britain they were stewards of a Working Mens Club

Daves Dad use to drink in this place and I began to get to know him well. I use to work behind the bar for pocket money(you in the USA call it allowance)He told me his son was in a band and they "were huge in the States" There was me into Queen, Cockney Rebel all the bands which in later years people recognise as being the best of British music at the time. Look at my age I wanted to be educated.Daves Dad when Dave was on the Hot Wire Tour gave me a copy of Hot Wire!!!!!

BLOWN AWAY

I must say if there is anyone out there who met George at Trapeze gigs,or Blue Jay gigs or Priest you know what a top bloke he was.
Old Nov-19-2001, 2:11 PM

Continue

He gave me this album and well I struggle to find words to describe what effect this had on me ( can you believe later on I WORKED for this band !!!! )

Then he gave me Medusa as a borrow .

Who was this vocalist.

6 weeks later Dave came home and we were introduced
Old Nov-19-2001, 2:27 PM

Equipment

Billy I know what gear they used cause I have carried it on my back.

But that was much later on

I really do envy u cause YOU saw them in 72
Old Nov-21-2001, 11:36 AM

continue

We became the best of friends

We went every where together he was like a brother

Marquee gig 1975?

Had pizza with Tom

Drank with Neil Slaven And Pete Makowski(Ship Wardour St. God bless its soul) and saw them kick arse on a incredible night where Mels voice was on fine form.

They did an incredible version of Way Back TO The Bone lasted probably the longest ever.Dave drove them on like a steam train and Rob and Pete did a sterling job of proving to the assembled press that there was life after Glenn.

They were awesome

3 encores on a sweaty evening

I was hooked for life

Old Nov-24-2001, 1:52 AM

USA

re: Trapeze

I have a few comments.
1) You got to see the worlds greatest, underated guitarist. Tommy Bolin was great, but like Hendrix, he aquired a drug problem. Sad. Such a talent. Saw him on his short tour with James Gang.
2) Though not one of their 'famous' songs, I always liked the song: Jury
3) re: recognition - For lack of a better explaination, I suppose, 'competition' in the world market of Rock 'n Roll bands. Plus the diverse public swaying of what they wanted to hear. One week it was 'punk-glitter' and the next week it was 'hillbilly-rock'. You have to remember that this is the same period that the Beatles were breaking up. Elvis was making his 'come back'. Grand Funk Railroad, for all their lack of talent, were big names. The VietNam war was nearing an end. (finally!) And maybe, in general, lack of 'hype'.
Maybe a debate all by itself, but a lot of influencing factors were involved. A number of really good, even great bands, had their careers' cut short because they didn't create that all important, #1 single. And even when they had one, if they didn't have a follow-up, they disappeared. Think of Mountain... And what do you think of? Mississippi Queen.
Okay, enough thinking for one night.

t.b.
Old Mar-08-2008, 5:07 AM

USA

Originally Posted by billy campbell View Post
The next time I saw Trapeze was 1975..they had Pete Wright on bass(good bass player) and Rob Kendrick on guitar and vocals..This was not too long after Hot Wire was released(that album contains some of the best funk/rock I've ever heard)..but they payed not one song off Hot Wire(?)Seafull,You Are The Music,Black Cloud etc
It was a good show anyway

Wondering if this show was following the one I saw in San Antonio? See my thread titled Favorite Show. Perhaps Trapeze felt that the Texas crowd wasn't ready for Hotwire material. I know I was.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Share Thread

Tags
1971, 1975, 1976, album, bands, bass, Deep Purple, glenn, guitar, press, tommy bolin, tour, track, Trapeze