g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug-17-2007, 12:30 PM

Austria

Icon19 John Wetton: open heart surgery

Some of you might have heard.... ... here's the whole story:

Quote:
JohnWetton.com and The Official ASIA Website

August 6, 2007---
2nd Leg of ASIA’s “Heat Of The Moment” 2007 US/Canadian Tour Postponed.

The British rock group, ASIA, announced today that the second leg of its North American tour has been postponed due to a recently discovered heart condition, likely to require surgery, for lead singer John Wetton.

Mr. Wetton is expected to make a full recovery and looks forward to returning to his work with ASIA, as well as his other musical endeavours, at the earliest possible time.

The postponed shows, which were in Western Canada and the US West Coast, are expected to be re-scheduled around the 2008 US concert itinerary.

John recently had a routine medical which returned a clean bill of health. John’s consultant suggested a comprehensive check up, during which adverse heart readings were discovered, indicating advanced coronary disease. The routine medical check had included conventional procedures from blood pressure to ECG tests, none of which suggested the presence of heart disease.

John now has to undertake an angiogram in the immediate future. This will determine whether the condition can be treated with drugs, or whether immediate open heart surgery is needed.

John is philosophical and confident about the situation and wants it to be known that he will be back on stage as soon as possible. “God didn’t save me from drowning only to beat me up on the beach. I look forward to getting back on tour.”

Fans are encouraged to monitor the originalasia.com website for updates and further information.

August 10, 2007---"John received open-heart surgery earlier today. Everything went as planned and John is in a stable condition.

In order to accomodate the overwhelming number of fans wishing to send cards and gifts to John, the following address has been established:

John Wetton
c/o qedg management
PO Box 6249,
Leighton Buzzard,
Bedfordshire, UK
LU70WS

All items sent to the address will be passed along to John. In addition, personal e-mails may be sent to John at qedg@btinternet.com.

August 15, 2007---
Message from John’s management:
John is making good progress following triple by-pass heart surgery. He is thankful for the good wishes, messages and gifts that have been forwarded and will make a personal statement in early course.

Here's hoping for a full recovery.
John is one of the all time greatest bass players/singers in Rock.

Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Aug-17-2007, 1:20 PM

USA

Wow !!!
I guess the years of overindulgence finally caught up with Wetton. A shame, such a talent and such demons.
I will be thinking of John.
Old Aug-17-2007, 5:25 PM

USA

food

in this case i think food is to blame-but the other stuff sure didnt help
Old Aug-18-2007, 7:16 AM

Australia

Thumbs down John Wetton {Open Heart Surgery}

Are some people jumping to conclusions? At least their is some
excellent news a full recovery is on the way. Having been an Asia
fan since their stunning debut way back in 1982, and admittedly
some of their later day material had their moments, and although
John Payne took over the reins i still enjoyed their music. I read
a couple of comments that he went a little overboard during his
30 year or more career, or his actual diet, food intake. hmmm?
Are those 2 people guessing what actually happened or is it
an actual fact? Having checked out the "John Wetton" site
their is very little or no detail as to why he had the surgery.
Unless those 2 people had the "Foreigners" "Inside Information"
I look forward to everyone's thoughts.

bigwolff's Sig:that would be great
Old Aug-18-2007, 9:15 AM

USA

John Wetton has been in rehabs numerous times, and canceled shows throughout his career due to his excessive use of alcohol. He has even been carted off stage at least once that has been documented. Just look at the alcohol problems in general for so many musicians and the problems they have caused.

Many people have their demons, and John had his share, fortunately he should recover and return to ply his trade with the excellence we all know and enjoy.
Old Aug-18-2007, 11:02 AM

USA

In pictures I was looking at from a couple of years ago, John certaintly didn't have the glow of a fit athlete like Glenn, but totally the opposite. I'm glad he's caught the problem early enough to be saved.

John
Old Aug-18-2007, 11:59 AM

USA

Icon33

Frank is right. John Wetton's had well-documented issues with alcohol, and one need look no further than his music for clues into his private struggles. Check out 'Rock of Faith' and 'Arkangel'. Nobody's slagging John for his health woes, just pointing out where they likely came from.

Wetton's appearance has also changed noticeably over the last ten years. Most people put on weight as they age, so that's to be expected. But on the 'Live in the Underworld' DVD, for example, he looks downright unhealthy. And while he's been healthier this past year or two, he's not transformed himself like Glenn has. This surgery is a result of the cumulative effects of John's lifestyle, diet and alcohol.

I have collected most all of John's work - from Family, King Crimson, UK, Wetton/Manzanera, Asia, Wetton/Downes, Wetton/Palmer-James, a multitude of sessions, etc. The man has an instantly identifiable voice, is a revelation on bass guitar, and a wonderful songwriter. I look forward to each new release with anticipation, and hopefully will continue to do so for a few more years.

Cheers...Todd
Old Aug-18-2007, 4:11 PM

USA

what?

you guys most people have heart surgery these days because their coronary arteries are blocked due to too much fat in their diets -check it out - is this foreign inside information? king crimson is where i first heard john wetton
Old Aug-19-2007, 3:35 AM

USA

open heart surgery

I'm 52. I had my second open heart surgery about 2 weeks prior to Johns. It's been 5 years since the last one.

The best thing John can do is to do the breathing exercises, and get up and walk around as much as possible.

No driving or lifting for 4-6 weeks, and eat a lot of fruit and juice when tolerated. the pills make you nauseated a lot of the time. Pain pills should be taken in moderation. It's also important to clean the cut and tube holes with hydrogen peroxide at least once a day.

At 6 weeks out, maybe the guy can go back to work, but it will be a solo event as recovery takes time. My last one didn't stop hurting until 6 months out, and sitting or doing physical stuff is hit and miss, as one feels okay one day and yuckky the next.

If the guy is near a beach or pool with temperate water, use that for exercise after a couple of months. salt water is soothing on the cut, and a sponge (body) board is a decent way to build up the chest muscles without a lot of stress. catch a wave after wading out, and ride prone back to shore. builds up stamina too, but take a pain pill at first.

John is in for a tough nut in recovery, but things gradually get better. take the aspirin, and work it out. if prone to anxiety and depression (common) take a lexapro or something.

Down the road: get in some decent exercise using an elliptical, and small dumbell weights. Cut back on the liquor, but 12-24 oz of beer, every two or three days, will help keep the arteries clean. don't binge or drink more than that because it will work against a guy.

Reasons: Not knowing what John suffered from, I can tell you this- most bypass patients have more than one surgery, and with subsequent surgeries, the body is plundered for adequate veins. If a guy keep after the diets and proper exercise, a vein can last 7 years or slightly more. A lot of people don't, and end up back on the table in 2-3 years or less.

My own experience was caused from a rare condition, and not the usual blockages, etc. Still, I had the second surgery to correct a defect from the first.

The best thing you can do when visiting John, would be to cut him some slack if he needs it, or quite the opposite, go for a walk with him around the block, and let him know how much of a true friend you really are. Maybe take him to the beach too.....

Charlie in Las Vegas
Old Aug-20-2007, 8:19 AM

USA

Thanks for writing that informative post for us,

whats4supper__*

(If HALF of what you wrote about yourself is true,
it looks as if there'll be no more greasy kid stuff for you, for supper.
Melba toast and cottage cheese, huh?)

We all know that drugs and alcohol ain't nobody's idea
of a healthy lifestyle / diet, but for John Wetton, or anybody else
to need heart by-pass surgery........now we're talking clogged arteries,
high cholesterol levels, and maybe genetics from mom and dad.
The drug and alcohol damage to his health would be "on another page."

Whatever the reasons, we GHCPs wish the man well.

* And welcome to the Glenn Hughes fun house.
* It helps a lot if you can say:

Old Aug-20-2007, 1:21 PM

USA

To "whats4Supper":
As someone who has had two Heart Attacks and one mild stroke in my nearly 54 years of overindulgence, I wish you the best. Please do not follow my path, which is directly to the Italian restaurant followed by Ice cream and a Grande Starbucks. Keep the faith and be well.
Old Aug-20-2007, 4:34 PM

USA

damm

i know what you mean frank-my work gave out free cholesterol blood tests - i had to cut out all kinds of my favorite italian foods- no coppacola no salami no a thousand other things - at least not every day
Old Aug-24-2007, 1:23 AM

USA

what's food without seasoning

After I got out of the first one, my doctor basically told me to use moderation in my diet and exercise.

which includes:
get enough sleep;
eat real food (no processed garbage). oatmeal, fish, steaks;
Have a beer or two, every 2-3 days; more will counteract the good effects of an enzyme that beer has that is particularly suited to males; low alcohol types are better;
include salads, bean sprouts, melons, fruit, stay away from a lot of soda or carbonated drinks;
work out 3 times a week on an elliptical, or ride a bike a bit;
use light weights to keep the upper body torso in condition after the sternum completely heals up;
stay away from stressfull situations and people, if at all possible;
find the good human side in other people and show your appreciation for them and your affection;
Go out of your way to do something nice for someone else, especially those you don't know, even if its just a minor action;
Find a hobby that appeases something you always wanted to do but weren't very good at;
Get outdoors and find yourself among the rest of nature.

No, there' s a few bumps in everybody's road. And everybody prays. you better believe it. Only that musicians do it everytime they pick up their instrument to play and sing their tunes. the problem is in drowning out the little voice inside that is trying to give a guy hope and a will to go on a little further. Maybe John has some time to listen now Maybe he will glean some answers. Maybe somebody will come forward and tell him how much he is truly appreciated and loved. Maybe his guardian angels will make theirselves known in a way that only John can recognize. Maybe. everysong that is written comes from the corners of the heart.
Old Aug-24-2007, 7:59 AM

USA

Icon49

Originally Posted by whats4supper View Post

No, there' s a few bumps in everybody's road. And everybody prays.
you better believe it. Only that musicians do it everytime they pick up
their instrument to play and sing their tunes. the problem is in drowning out
the little voice inside that is trying to give a guy hope and a will to go on
a little further. Maybe John has some time to listen now Maybe he will glean
some answers. Maybe somebody will come forward and tell him how much
he is truly appreciated and loved. Maybe his guardian angels will make theirselves
known in a way that only John can recognize. Maybe. everysong that is written
comes from the corners of the heart.

Beautifully written, "supper."

Maybe that's why we GHCPs are so grateful that our boy
(with the help of his "higher power") managed to come through
his own particular version of hell......to arrive at the place he's at, today.
Old Aug-25-2007, 8:05 PM

USA

what he needs now

I don't want anyone to think I am starting some sort of blog here.

The warriors dealing with this type of major surgery are in a tough way right now-

food doesn't taste right;
I can only eat small portions at a time, maybe 2-3 times in 24 hours. sometimes fever accompanies the eating part. Try to get regularity in bowel movements, as food left inside too long can create its own poisons. once things get going, ease back into solid foods

If there is a fever- keep after it with a thermometer every few hours- keep a list for trends, then best to get checked out by the doctor. low grade fever could mean a bacterial infection of the endocardium sac that hold the heart- very serious. if not, then it is a process of healing or eating.

I prefer sleeping in a lazy boy, in a quiet room about 80 degrees. I get cold easily. even temperatures that make a well person sweat, can be too cold for someone recovering from bypass.

If giving fruit or other types of juice, it helps immensely to dilute it, 50/50 with water.

The person will be real shaky at times- normal. get a cuff and stay with checking blood pressure. low may mean dehydration and the person may need more fluids. High BP can be the precursur to a stroke or blood clot- get out the nitro and use it, maybe call the doctor if this don't get better within 20 -30 minutes.

Don't want to be graphic but one needs to know reasons why this and that-

bypass involves cutting a foot long incision in the chest wall. then the sternum or breastbone has to be cut using a small skilsaw. if nerves traverse one side or the other, whatever side they served will be numb.

After the sternum is cut, a spreader is placed that will open the rib cage. the heart is below a lot of things that have to be moved to one side or another; things that were never meant to be moved or touched by a hand.

The heart is prepped and in most cases, stopped, and filled with an extremely cold liquid that will preserve it through the surgery process. the major veins are then hooked up to a heart-lung machine that will in essence, keep the rest of the body alive.

other things happen--

Then the heart is reattached, and flushed, then put back in action pumping blood to the body. grafts are checked , then the heart is placed back in its protective sac. The esophagus is moved back into place, as well as other organs, then the lungs.

Before closure, two drain tubes are placed (wired) into the chest cavity that will drain liquid and fluid during recovery.

The sternum, being bone, cannot be stitched and must be wired shut, using some stainless steel piano wire.

FF to the home arena-
besides the symptoms mentioned above, there is irritation in the digestive tract for a few months, and certain food may irritate it.

vitamins aren't well tolerated during the 6 weeks. just so you know. The same with herbal teas. don't know why, just that way it is. Raw water in huge gulps can be iffy, but works better if you fill a sports cup with ice and water and allow the guy to sip it once in a while. a little is better than a lot.

Pains- pains in the stomach, headaches, around the cut but not the cut itself, a LOT in the neck muscles- maybe the doctors jerk a guy around by the neck during surgery or some deal but it hurts. a toilet seat shaped pillow helps somewhat, but the lazy boy recliner is the best (at least for me). If you need pain pills, take them, but they have a tendency to make you nauseous. if you can do without them on any given day, do so, and let your body build strength.

The worst pain comes around when you are back to work. When they opened the rib cage, then ends of the ribs dug in and poked you right in the back. When you get back to normal life, lifting and moving things around, and building up strength in the torso, that pain will come back and haunt you like the dickens. Keep buying the pain pills. take one at the start of the work, one in the middle, and one before you go to bed. don't do to much work, just ease into the gig and take time out to rest, nap, and don't do much lifting- swinging a guitar or bass included- maybe the bad can rig up a hammack or lawn chair.

Take time out to walk in the countryside and reflect, heal, rest, see what else your Maker has made, and regain some harmony.

Life goes on.
One is never at the end of their rope when they think they are.

With John, he's going to have more energy going that the rest of the band, and will want to keep on playing when the rest are ready to hit the bedroom and sleep. With the right diet and plan,

Things should be looking up pal! Take time to connect, then may your feelings transcend your pain and communicate with us, your prayers.
Old Aug-26-2007, 6:31 PM

USA

human spirit some sort of musical instrument itself

I would venture to say that the human spirit has to be some sort of musical instrument in itself, in order to feel and interpret music that comes from an outside source.

Everyone's idea of music is different, and therefore the spirit must also be different, for there are those that interpret one thing as uplifting, while another takes it as a negative. No matter what the song or tune, every piece is a journey in sort of s time warp that stops the milenia from turning so one can take notice of a spec up close, here and now.

It's miraculous that some people can take their own feelings and turn it into a musical piece; while others can only listen and use it to their advantage or not. A loner type, not overtly social, I use music to mirro back to me my feelings in such a way as to be able to meditate my problems, questions, quandries- a mirror of sorts. When I want to be alone, am mad, depressed and deep into the abyss that only those really detached can be, suicidal even, or even in a melancholic state- what I feel inside communicates with the combination voice and vibes that I hear someone else incanting or manipulating, and that covert communication somehow makes things a little better.

I tune into music that sounds like some machine that is getting ready to break. but that wouldn't account for areas such as bluegrass, folk, some C&W, hard rock, blues, swing, reggae, mexican regional, andina, or even a few church songs here and there; music that I also can appreciate.
Old Oct-21-2007, 12:06 PM

Austria

Arrow new Interview with John Wetton

There is now an excellent interview with John Wetton online at Classic Rock Revisited - check it out HERE.

It's lengthy but well worth the read. He talks about the Asia reunion and his recovery from triple bypass surgery.

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1982, 2007, 2008, bass, classic rock, cover, debut, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, journey, solo, tour